The Home Audio Thread

Well, we already have a 4k TV tread, so I figured it makes sense to start one focused on home audio, which, IMO, is just as important as picture quality.

Post pics of your home theater set-up, discuss AVRs, speakers, etc.

I think I would like to upgrade either my AVR soon to a more powerful and more modern one with HDMI 2.1, at least 130 watts per channel. I currently have 2 newer Denon AVRs (X2500 and X2200W), and older 4k Pioneer SC-1323, and an old but powerful Yamaha Aventage 3000.

Probably gonna set a budget for $1,200 or less ($100 a month is the most I'm willing to spend on it rn). The other option was to upgrade to some Dolby Atmos floorstanding speakers. Klipsch has several different models and they are all pretty affordable. Currently I am running a 5.2 set-up, with Martin Logan Preface floorstanders and center, and a couple of Mirage omnistats as surrounds. The subs are a 12 inch BIC and the dual 12 inch Boston Acoustic V series (also have matching bookself speakers and center). I would really love to get some Martin Logan electrostatic speakers, but they are a little out of my price range right now. Paradigm also makes some great speakers.

20210104_201708.jpg

Was just coming on NT to search for tv thread or something of this sort. This is what i got back in like 2013

Anyways, I had to do some work in my living room so i had to take apart my setup. Since it was wired i figured it would be great time to find a soundbar setup

Any suggestions?

20201231_103253.jpg

Running just a 2.0 setup at the moment in the bedroom. KEF Q150s and a Denon AVR. Got everything on sale. Did the whole sound bar setup in the past. They sound just ok IMO.

Won't get into the whole sound bar debate, but I would at least recommend considering home theater speakers if you are going to spend like $400-500+.

Don't really have a TV setup since I spend most of my time at my desk.

Got a pair of Dayton B652 Airs and a Dayton 8 inch sub powered with a cheap little FXAudio amp.

Great for my needs thus far. Might look into getting something a little better suited for a near field experience in the future.

When speakers are not in use, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 58x for headphones.

Running just a 2.0 setup at the moment in the bedroom. KEF Q150s and a Denon AVR. Got everything on sale. Did the whole sound bar setup in the past. They sound just ok IMO.

Won't get into the whole sound bar debate, but I would at least recommend considering home theater speakers if you are going to spend like $400-500+.

I'd scoop KEFs just cause of how beautiful are. Wonderful designs.

Yeah i get that for sure, esp when considering the size of the room youre trying to fill sound with. My living isnt that big and i was thinking about simplicity when I thought about a soundbar. Theres possibility we end up moving in a few years too so i could upgrade to a better actual theater setup then.

Anyways for now im just looking around and that set ive had all these years has been good to me what we needed. Just get that itch to upgrade/get something new :lol:

Posted this back in the 4K TV thread, setup mostly unchanged but I did end up adding some on ceiling speakers (Polk OWM5's). I've spent way too much time in front of this thing during the pandemic :lol:

IMG_20190714_192133.jpg

Grills off just for fun.
IMG_20190714_192220.jpg

Setup:
65" LG C8
Marantz SR6013
C- Klipsch RP 504C
L/R- RP 8000
Surrounds- R41M
Monolith 12" THX Ultra

Current setup, nothing crazy just a simple 5.1 Samsung Blu-ray Home Theater in a box that I’ve had for a while. Does the job but I been wanting to upgrade lately and get a Atmos setup. Seen a Yamaha RX-V6A for about $600 that I might end up getting. Any recommendations for speakers? Are Klipsch really worth the price? Looks like I’ll be spending a couple grand just on speakers, I’m looking for something more affordable that supports Atmos.

703CC31C-2C7D-49FE-9A67-D69B72B7DFB1.jpeg
F56448D4-6BF0-4F0F-9F47-867F8C4B0A11.jpeg

Bonus:
Bedroom setup... Samsung M50 Soundbar and Samsung SWA-9000 for the rear. Again, nothing crazy but sounds decent
80E0FE9F-C507-4933-B61C-AF83F03F9DD9.jpeg
6F6EFFEA-F5E6-4438-A34C-8026700DB975.jpeg

Last edited:
Decided to go the soundbar way for my apt. Sub just came in to pair with my Sonos One SL’s. I also got the arc coming in any day now (currently on backorder). Cant wait to test it out.

69DA48B9-E5B5-468B-801A-3762392F645A.jpeg

Are Klipsch really worth the price?

IMO yes, but there's other brands that might be worth a listen. Elac Debut, HTD level two/three, SVS Prime, KEF Q series, Polk S line are all really nice.

I LOVE the way my RP's sound- my buddy got inspired and got a setup similar to mine, but opted for the non RP klipsch line, Although there is a difference in either clarity, loudness, or something (I'm no expert myself I just like what I hear) it still sounds pretty good.

I’m looking for something more affordable that supports Atmos.

Any speaker can technically work as atmos, the receiver, playback device, and media must support atmos for it to work as intended. You planning on doing in ceiling or on ceiling?

IMO yes, but there's other brands that might be worth a listen. Elac Debut, HTD level two/three, SVS Prime, KEF Q series, Polk S line are all really nice.

I LOVE the way my RP's sound- my buddy got inspired and got a setup similar to mine, but opted for the non RP klipsch line, Although there is a difference in either clarity, loudness, or something (I'm no expert myself I just like what I hear) it still sounds pretty good.

Any speaker can technically work as atmos, the receiver, playback device, and media must support atmos for it to work as intended. You planning on doing in ceiling or on ceiling?

Thanks for the info, good to know. I definitely want to add 2 ceiling speakers. I’m thinking a 7.1 maybe 7.2 set up which is what the Yamaha RX-V6A is. I was looking to start with the Klipsch HD Theater 300 and then add the 2 ceiling speakers. This is the setup I’m thinking of going with.

Receiver looks good, use zkelectronics If you want to compare receivers, I remember shopping around and it was a great tool to see the features and how they stack up.

Just from my experience, Atmos has been kind of a let down. Only very few uses have made me really appreciate it (Ready Player One, Hacksaw Ridge, A Quiet Place come to mind) but you'll rarely hear it used well.

That being said I think my friend installed those same in ceiling speakers or some very similar, he thought they sounded good.

Last edited:
Have Sonos Beam and two SLs for surround sound. Finishing out the basement thinking of doing an Arc and some in ceiling. Much better sound quality you could find but I like the freedom of the set up and I also have the existing Sonos ecosystem in the house.

Have Sonos Beam and two SLs for surround sound. Finishing out the basement thinking of doing an Arc and some in ceiling. Much better sound quality you could find but I like the freedom of the set up and I also have the existing Sonos ecosystem in the house.
How you liking the beam? Was thinking either that plus some SLs or a single arc. Slowly getting into the sonos eco system. Really dig it

How you liking the beam? Was thinking either that plus some SLs or a single arc. Slowly getting into the sonos eco system. Really dig it

love the Beam. It works great for my upstairs living room and then paired with SLs I get great surround sound. Just wish YouTube TV would offer programming in surround sound.

Just copped these...

Way too good of a deal to pass up. Was about to spend $650 on a pair of the lesser Atmos floorstanders, but I'm glad I waited. I do regret not picking up the matching center when it was $50 less on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom