The Invincible Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN
[h1]Techniques NFL players at every position should steal[/h1]
Watch the best. Study the technique. That's a major part of development with young players in the NFL. Sure, reps count. And those live game reps are the best teaching tool in the business.

But the ability to steal from the studs in the league is also a vital part of the learning process at the pro level. You want to get better? Then turn on the film, take out a notebook and focus on the footwork, hands, eyes, etc. of the top players at your position. Fundamentals? They never go out of style in a league loaded with talent.

So, who should these young cats study and what can they learn from the tape when watching some of the best? Today, let's examine the top techniques by position. From Tom Brady's footwork in the pocket to Richard Sherman's press-man skills, there is plenty to learn when the film is rolling.

i
[h2]Quarterback[/h2]
Tom Brady's footwork/pocket management

It's subtle. But it's also really sweet. Brady doesn't have top-tier athleticism in the pocket, and he isn't going to move like Aaron Rodgers when plays start to break down. But the key here is Brady's ability to create throwing lanes -- and time -- with his feet. Slide, step up/climb, give ground. This guy is so good at manipulating the pass rush and managing the pocket while keeping his eyes and footwork in unison. That's a practiced, developed skill that young quarterbacks (at every level) should be studying. Brady owns the pocket. A master of technique.

i
[h2]Running back[/h2]
DeAngelo Williams' pass protection

Every back in the league wants to tote the rock and score touchdowns. I get it. But for the young guys out there, you can't get on the field unless you block in the passing game and protect that high-priced QB. And Williams is the player to study. He can take on linebackers who blitz the interior gaps (square shoulders, pad level, balance, footwork), slide in protection to account for defensive backs coming off the edge (eyes), chop down edge rushers or chip defensive ends. We all know that Williams produced some nice numbers when Le'Veon Bell went out last season, but one of the main reasons he's still playing ball at age 33 is his accountability as a blocker in the passing game. That's super valuable in the NFL.

i
[h2]Wide receiver[/h2]
Brandon Marshall's leverage

In a league that loves wide receivers with size, Marshall gets it when it comes to using leverage at the point of attack. I'm talking about posting up defensive backs on inside breaking routes, using his size to run the slant or boxing out cornerbacks in the end zone. No different than a basketball player setting up on the low post or grabbing a rebound, Marshall is an excellent study for young wideouts who want to use their frame to make plays. Shield the defender from the ball. That's the key. And it's a lonely place for defensive backs when they can't locate the ball because a wide receiver like Marshall uses his body positioning to finish.

i
[h2]Tight end[/h2]
Antonio Gates' route running

I don't know what Gates runs in the 40-yard dash at this stage of his career, and I don't really care when I turn on the film, because the veteran tight end just gets open. Gates is like that dude at the YMCA pickup game who beats you down with old-school moves by the hoop. He's crafty, he's smart and he understands how to win with his release, his stem and his footwork at the break point. This allows Gates to set up linebackers or defensive backs in coverage while also creating enough separation to finish. Gates is still smooth.

i
[h2]Offensive line[/h2]
Tyron Smith's kick step/balance

Too often, young offensive linemen (especially playing at the tackle position) fail to get back off the ball. That's not going to cut it against the speed coming off the edge in today's game. With Smith, we see that kick step to gain ground while also staying square through the drop. That allows Smith to play with balance (key versus counter moves), wash pass rushers up the field, close the door on the inside path to the quarterback or bow up versus a straight power move. Yes, Smith is a sick athlete at the position. And he's strong. But his technique? That applies to every tackle in the league when matching up to the top edge rushers in the NFL.

i
[h2]Defensive line[/h2]
Aaron Donald's arm over

No one is going to steal Donald's first step off the ball. It's explosive. It's electric. But young defensive linemen can study Donald's technique at the point of attack. He's violent on contact, using his hands to slap away offensive linemen while winning with an "arm over" technique. This is not a full swim move (which can expose the chest of rushers), but a quick, counter-move. Attack half a man (don't take the blocker down the middle), slap down and use the arm over to gain leverage to the ball or the quarterback. This isn't just a pass rush move; Donald uses it against the run, too. And it shows that, above all else, technique still wins.

i
[h2]Edge rusher[/h2]
Khalil Mack's bull rush

When you see Mack beasting offensive tackles with a bull rush, it's not all raw strength. There are a lot of really strong guys in this league who fall flat as pass-rushers. What separates Mack is the way he utilizes his technique/initial footwork to set up blockers and get them playing on their heels. That allows Mack to play with leverage (lower pad level), shoot the arms/hands inside and explode through the chest of the tackle on contact. This is how you convert speed (or burst) into power with the bull rush. Mack is creating teaching tape very early in his career.

i
[h2]Linebacker[/h2]
Luke Kuechly's eye placement

You might not think of eye placement, or vision, as a technique in football, but it is discussed in every single defensive meeting with linebackers and the secondary. You want to make plays? Then use your eyes. Kuechly sets that example in every game. No one is better at reading a QB's eyes and beating a receiver to the ball -- or seeing a guard start to pull and blowing up a running play. Yeah, Kuechly is a star -- the next Brian Urlacher. But it all starts with his eyes. That's why he's always around the ball and driving on throws.

i
[h2]Cornerback[/h2]
Richard Sherman's press man

This league that has gotten a little lazy with press-man technique. Too many defensive backs open the gate and try running with wide receivers instead of being physical. Not Sherman. He puts on a clinic when he walks up the line of scrimmage. His footwork, hands and eyes all work together to disrupt the release of the wide receiver. Mirror that release, shoot the hands, kick step to open and take control of the route. That's the way you dictate from the secondary. It's important to understand that nothing about Sherman's technique requires elite athleticism. Sherman put up average testing numbers at the 2011 NFL combine, but he's still able to challenge at the line of scrimmage, get back on the hip of the WR and locate the ball. It's cool to talk about playing press, but if you want to see how it's done, then start studying Sherman's technique.

i
[h2]Safety[/h2]
Kam Chancellor's tackling

A thumper who closes on the ball with speed, Chancellor is an intimidating safety. And he's also a technician in one of the league's lost arts -- tackling. This guy wraps up, drives his legs and dumps guys on the ground. Plus, Chancellor utilizes the "Hawk" tackling technique (rugby style) on contact. That allows him to play with leverage and secure tackles, while also protecting his head. He's a prime example of playing physical football -- at high speed -- while also keeping the game as safe as possible. For young safeties out there, study Chancellor. Please. When he wraps you up, it's over. This is how you tackle in the pros.

Brady and the Pats should troll Roger right back by releasing Tom, thus making him eligible to contact 'former' teammates freely, and have catches with them and even attend practice as 'former Patriot great/forever cheater TB12'. Then break news that he's been brought back for Week 5.

:rofl:

It's hard to talk about technique in Football because there's at least 10 positional groups.

As opposed to Basketball where there's like 2-3 positional groups.

I could play Football for 15 years but if I'm playing Defensive line, I might know very little about Defensive back play and likewise for the Defensive back.

Last edited:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago
Bengals' first-round pick, CB Will Jackson III, tore his pec muscle, as @MikeGarafolo reported. His season now in jeopardy.

4E
How many average fans do you think know anything about technique?

I think fans are smarter then people give credit for.

Im not talkin the ck worker who just watches for conversation.

But actual fans are smarter then you think.

The who narrative that because I played > I know more is lame in 2016.

It's hard to talk about technique in Football because there's at least 10 positional groups.

As opposed to Basketball where there's like 2-3 positional groups.

I could play Football for 15 years but if I'm playing Defensive line, I might know very little about Defensive back play and likewise for the Defensive back.

Very good point, I was actually thinking the same thing and using myself as an example. Had some great DB coaches as a kid who harped on technique who I learned a lot from, but an authentic understanding of linemen techniques? Not really there.

Another thing that probably depends a lot on region, but in California football is not a popular youth participation sport. Very very few people actually grow up playing relative to the size population.

Last edited:

Why is technique talked about so little among fans?
I'm not sure bro, BUT HAVEN'T YOU HEARD THAT JOSH NORMAN IS GETTING COOKED DURING THE FIRST 2 DAYS OF TRAINING CAMP?! IS HE ALREADY A BUST??? SAD!

laugh.gif
I'd much rather talk about how your guy Mack pops every time I see him play. Can't remember if that Raiders game in Foxboro was 1 or 2 years ago, but the way he used leverage on the Pats OLine was a thing of beauty. They were NOT ready.

Kam's rugby tackling > ___________.

Last edited:
laugh.gif
I'd much rather talk about how your guy Mack pops every time I see him play. Can't remember if that Raiders game in Foxboro was 1 or 2 years ago, but the way he used leverage on the Pats OLine was a thing of beauty. They were NOT ready.

Kam's rugby tackling > ___________.
that was his rookie year, Solder was getting his money's worth that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom