The Kid Griffey Jr. wearing the BEST cleats in the Game!

capt.f4fbf18302804391b62a6f959e2d18fd.indians_reds_spring_baseball_flab113.jpg

5233afed695f51a56c550aff0a973efb-getty-79726137es009_indians_reds.jpg

^ Griff told me last season that something would be out "next year." ^

Now, take that for what it's worth. I don't know if he was talking about a new sig pair, or a retro.

Peace,
J

A couple notes.......

*I'm verry freakin' happy, duh.

*Size 11.5. Although it has been specualted that The Kid went up half a size I wouldn't let this be the final word. These Swingman TL's, along with alot of other Griffey models, run SMALL. In fact, these fit me perfect and I'm a 10.5/11.

*Very few people have the chance to wear sneakers that once belonged to their favorite athlete. Having saidthat, I will be wearing these with pride every now and then.

2003037019957033488_rs.jpg

2003087132949998781_rs.jpg

2003047804954279599_rs.jpg

2003025812665895616_rs.jpg

great pickup...

I'm not too familiar with the original retail version, but are there any differences between the two? I think the retail had the "Jr" as well,right?

Shape and design are the same. Of course, the tags are PE. The biggest difference is the all-black colorway.

the side panel was originally red, right? did the retails have the 'carbon fibre' weave on the upper as well?

The weave is on the GR's as well. Public released (sneaker) colorways were:

black/dark-red panel
black/silver panel
white/dark-red panel
white/black panel

......off the top, I think that's it.

Shame shame guys. Last post:3/6/08?

Anyhow. Interesting little read.....

Star pupil learning from the best
Griffey imparting valuable lessons, on and off field, to Bruce
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Aspiring painters that want to learn about the best of their chosen crafts might visit the Louvre, the Sistine Chapel or the Guggenheim.Smart aspiring comedians watch Richard Pryor tapes or seek out Jerry Seinfeld backstage.

And when a top prospect like Jay Bruce wants advice about hitting and playing the game, why not ask the best? Especially when that person is a baseball Libraryof Congress like Ken Griffey Jr., who is located just a few feet from your locker in the Reds' clubhouse.

Like many from his generation, the 20-year-old Bruce idolized Griffey as a kid.

"I had his shoes and tried to hit like him," Bruce said.

In his first big league camp with the Reds as he is fighting to become the everyday center fielder, Bruce hasn't squandered the chance to learn fromGriffey. The Texas native isn't afraid to pepper the veteran with questions, and more questions.

"I just kind of get his feel on things," Bruce said. "I try not to seem like a pest. He's been great. He's answered everything I need.He talks to me a lot and he's a great leader by example, too."

Reds manager Dusty Baker came into the Majors with the Braves and had legend Hank Aaron to learn from in the late 1960s and early '70s. Baker hadconversations with Griffey over the offseason, and he urged him to be a source of leadership for younger guys.

Griffey broke into the Majors in 1989 with the Mariners, and as a Reds player since 2000, he has more tenure with Cincinnati than anyone in the clubhouse. The38-year-old seems to have embraced the opportunity to give back to the next generation, not just Bruce. He welcomes questions and tries to help players withadvice about hitting and playing in the big leagues.

"As a player, I'm not the future of this organization," said Griffey, who is entering the final guaranteed season in an eight-year contractsigned in 2000. "I'm not the jealous type. I'm going to give. He's a young kid that wants to ask questions. I've been around. If Idon't know the answer, I'll say, 'I don't know the answer.'

"Someone may tell him something he wants to hear or tell him something that could get him more messed up. Everybody is here to make this organization thebest organization. I'm part of that. If a young kid asks me a question, I have to answer it. I was one of those young kids."

Bruce is Baseball America's No. 1 prospect in the game for 2008, but he has been ready and willing to listen. A frequent target of veteran teasing, heknows his place and readily accepts it.

That's why Bruce has been all ears when Griffey speaks. And he's all eyes when the superstar walks through the clubhouse or up to the plate. Want toknow what to expect from a certain pitcher or situation? Ask him. Want to know how Griffey goes about hitting vs. that pitcher in that situation? Watch him.

"I learn from him, on and off the field," Bruce said. "[Both] the way he carries himself and handles himself. He's been doing it for closeto 20 years and is still as professional as can be. He's never late. He gets here on time and gets his work in. He's been great to me so far. AnythingI need to know, I can ask him. He's great about telling me."

Despite being off to a solid start this spring, batting .400 (6-for-15) with three RBIs, Bruce still has his hands full. He started out trying to beat outNorris Hopper and Ryan Freel for the center-field job. But another prospect, Chris Dickerson, has really impressed Baker, and the Reds recently signed CoreyPatterson to a Minor League deal with a camp invite.

Bruce also missed the previous five days with a mild left quadriceps strain. He returned to the lineup as the designated hitter on Saturday vs. the Braves andwent 0-for-3 with a walk and one RBI.

While Bruce attempts to give Baker and the Reds' front office possibly the hardest roster decision of spring, Griffey has advised the prospect not tobecome wound too tight about the position battle.

"I think he has to just play, no matter where it is," Griffey said. "If it's here, he's going to play. You're not going to have a20-year-old sit on the bench. If it's at Triple-A, he's going to play. He just can't worry about trying to impress the guys up here. He has to playand get as much experience up here while he's here. If he succeeds, he stays. If he doesn't, he can't get down and think it's a demotion. Itisn't.

"He will be here. That's a given."

2006364225563147673_rs.jpg

add white/silver panel with navy accents to the list. that was as close to a mariners colorway we got that year. still have mine of course
happy.gif

Griffey has had so much heat the past couple of years that it's not fair. Hes had the 2k4 with cage zoom, Air max gd in cincy colors, and these AGM (lastyears allstars red ones were insane). I would love to see nike release these again. Also his batting gloves are
happy.gif
. Hes been rotating between the 1st ones andthe 500.

21331pq6.jpg

pimp.gif
I remember those from that Junior VHS I used to have. Him, hisbrother, and Ken, Sr. Had me imitating his swing for months
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom