The Kid Griffey Jr. wearing the BEST cleats in the Game!

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE AGM1 WILL BE COMING OUT IN BLACK,HOT RED, WHITE AND ALSO BLACK, BLACK,BLACK IN OCTOBER OF 09 SO I KNOW IM WAITING IM SURE YOU ARE TOO

Reds colorway and all black? That's promising. The all blacks would technically be a retro of a fake.......LOL Wouldn't be the first time Nike/Jordanhas done this.

Griffey returns to Seattle, site of glory days

Ken Griffey Jr. is returning to Seattle.

2148.jpg

Griffey

The future Hall of Famer informed the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday that he's returning tothe city where he carved out a Hall of Fame career as a perennial All-Star in the 1990s.

"He's coming home. ... I can't begin to tell you how ecstatic we are. He is, too," Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik confirmed onWednesday night, calling Griffey "arguably one of the greatest athletes to ever play in the Seattle area."

Two baseball sources said that Griffey made his decision after two days of debating between Atlanta, which is close to his home in Orlando, Fla., andSeattle, where he's been a fan favorite since breaking in with the Mariners as a 19-year-old phenom in 1989.

"Ken is extremely excited to be coming back to Seattle," Zduriencik said.

The contract is for one year and $2 million guaranteed and includes incentives that could bring the total value of the deal to $4.5 million, a sourcesaid.

As of late last week, it appeared a virtual certainty that Griffey would return to Seattle. But Griffey reached out to the Braves and received a warmreception from manager Bobby Cox and third baseman Chipper Jones, among others.

The Braves were hoping to sign Griffey as a platoon partner for Matt Diaz in leftfield, and Griffey appeared energized by the prospect of playing so close to home and spending spring training in Orlando.

But the Griffey-to-Atlanta momentum hit the skids Tuesday afternoon, when the sentimental lure of Seattle apparently began to tug at him. One person closeto Griffey said he had an "agonizing'' 24 hours trying to decide between the Braves and Mariners.

"We were informed tonight that Ken Griffey Jr. has decided to return to Seattle," Braves general manager Frank Wren said. "We will continueto be open to other possibilities to improve our outfield offense and, at the same time, give our young players an opportunity to show us they can win thatjob."

Griffey is extremely close to Mariners president Chuck Armstrong and chairman Howard Lincoln from his previous tenure with Seattle from 1989 through 2000.He made the All-Star team and won a Gold Glove with the Mariners every year during the 1990s, and received a hero's welcome when he returned to the citywith the Cincinnati Reds in 2007.

It's believed that the Mariners would like to continue their association with Griffey in some fashion when he retires -- although it's uncertain inwhat role.

Zduriencik said the Mariners were the beneficiaries of Griffey wanting to cement his legacy in Seattle.

"Oh, I don't think there's any doubt about that," he said. "Everyone knows Ken Griffey is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, and he'sreturning to his roots. That doesn't happen too often."

Griffey is likely to spend time in left field in Seattle, where Endy Chavez iscurrently the starter, and could also be a DH for new manager Don Wakamatsu. He turned 39 in November, and underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee inthe offseason.

Griffey's return is a jolt for the Mariners, the first team with a $100 million payroll to lose 100 games -- last season.

"A rejuvenated Ken Griffey coming back to where he started has to be a fabulous motivator for him," Zduriencik said.

The GM had been trying to add a power hitter, and specifically a designated hitter, for months and was also talking to the agent for free agent Garret Anderson. The Mariners prefer a left-handed bat because the dimensions ofpitcher-friendly Safeco Field are shortest in right field.

The configuration fits the left-handed Griffey so well, the Mariners presented him with a framed photo of their stadium before a Reds-Mariners game in 2007,with the words "The House that Griffey Built" across the top. Griffey played just half a season in it before getting the trade he demanded.

Yet the fans in Seattle still love "Junior."

Griffey has been hampered by injuries since he left and had arthroscopic knee surgery following the 2008 season, the last half of which he spent with theWhite Sox. Zduriencik said the Mariners' extensive research, which ended with Griffey passing a physical in Arizona on Sunday, convinced the team he is ashealthy as he's been in years.

He is the Mariners' career leader in home runs (398), slugging percentage (.569) and trails only Edgar Martinez in team history in games played with 1,535. He's also second to Martinezin Seattle history in hits, RBIs, extra-base hits, at-bats, doubles, runs and total bases.

Seattle's starting outfield currently has Ichiro Suzuki in right field,Franklin Gutierrez in center and question marks in left, and Zduriencik left open thepossibility Griffey could play in the field.

The loss of Griffey to Seattle marked another setback in a challenging offseason for the Braves, who traded for starter Javier Vazquez and signed free agents Derek Lowe and Kenshin Kawakami, but failed to complete a trade for Jake Peavy and fell short in the pursuit of free agents A.J. Burnett and RafaelFurcal.

Wren also took some heat when longtime Atlanta mainstay John Smoltz signed withthe Boston Red Sox.

It's likely that Atlanta will have an acquisition to announce shortly, however. A source said the Braves are moving closer to bringing back pitcherTom Glavine on a one-year contract, and a deal could be announced as soon asThursday.

But Griffey is coming back to where he spent the heyday of his career -- to Seattle.

"I know in his heart of hearts," Zduriencik said, "he probably wanted to be here all along."
Jerry Crasnick covers baseball forESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

^ Marky, we'll need to you hook us up with pics of Jr.'s footwear! Swingman Remix or AGM 1's?

Got my tix and I can't wait! I hope he breaks out the Griffey 1's for opening day. Also lucky enough to see him during spring training down here in AZ!

No matter what he does, I'm really excited about the possibilities here... I'd love to see some original Griffey 1 uppers on a modern midsole like hewas doing two years ago, but in his original Mariners colorways as well. Even better, how about uppers from his original Diamond Fury PE's, or any of hissigs from the Mariner years, on new Nike midsoles?

But since this is the year where the Swingman Remix will be out at retail, I'd imagine that it'd make more business sense for him to wear those. Still, some Mariners colorways would look hot on these too... I know they don't wear a lot of teal nowadays, but some black/teal/white Remix PE's wouldbe pretty tight... then some royal/white/gold if they do a Turn Back The Clock (or silver kicks if they turn it ahead... haha). Regardless, I hope Nike goescrazy with PE's for Junior this year. I know he's not the same superstar he was his first time in Seattle, but now more than ever with the A-Rod newscoming out these past few weeks, Griffey deserves some love. He did everything the natural way (on hustle and swagger), and he's looking more and morelike one of the true legends of this era... now he just needs the 10-20 SMU kicks for '09 that he deserves.

I'll try to mess with some comps and see if I can come up with any fresh colorways. (By the way... good to see your name Sinner!)

Swingman Remix turfs... very interesting.

Gotta give Nike some more time to get the Mariner colorways to him...

^ is that a full length Air Max unit? they should release them like that instead of using the midsole from that LT shoe...

I really wish they would release them with the full length Air Unit!

They are SOOO dope.

I really do not want the LT midsole.

But I will cop either way.

Yes I can confirm that the Griffey Max 1 is coming in Reds colors as well.

cincy - any word on the number strap for that Reds CW? Call me crazy but I'm looking forward to the Cincy CW as well.

WOW....Griffey in a Mariners uniform. An awesome sight.

Originally Posted by BP the owner

^ is that a full length Air Max unit? they should release them like that instead of using the midsole from that LT shoe...

Yep... almost like an AM97 air unit... I think...

Originally Posted by cincybcats22

I really wish they would release them with the full length Air Unit!

They are SOOO dope.

I really do not want the LT midsole.

But I will cop either way.

Yes I can confirm that the Griffey Max 1 is coming in Reds colors as well.

nerd.gif
black swoosh or red swoosh?

Meanwhile, Jr. spends 11 minutes in the cage...

621griffey22_se_battingcage2.jpg

Hey guys. It would be nice if they did have the #3 on the Reds colorway.

I haven't seen them, only seen the Product info. I have a feeling they are black based. Similar to the Mariners colorway, but red instead of teal.

Jr. joins his new teammates... with his full-length air units...

Pic courtesy of the Seattle Times.

Boy needs to hit conditioning hard. Dude's looking old, tired and overweight. Ah, to be a baseball player, isn't it grand?

Here is a video about the swingman remix posted on eastbay.com .�� Sorry if it's been posted already. If you hate the word swagger, you might not want towatch the video.
laugh.gif
� *EDIT* If the video isn't working, go to thelink at eastbay http://and its on thebottom right.

You can see quite a few colorways in the back.� Not sure who they are specifically made for.� I know some are GR's.

I have a question about the black/yellow pair in the upper left.� Are those going to be released? I swear I saw them available on baseballexpress.com at onepoint along with a black/orange colorway but they are no longer on the website.

Hmmm... that outsole looks oddly familiar... or maybe I'm thinking of another outsole...
nerd.gif

2008773098.jpg

Edit - nevermind, I was thinking of this outsole, which isn't the same one...

Back
Top Bottom