THE LAS VEGAS RAIDERS...OFFSEASON THREAD | "NEW DAY. NEW CHAPTER. NEW ERA. NEW MINDSET."

HOW MANY GAMES WILL THE RAIDERS WIN THIS SEASON

• less than 6

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 6-8

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 8-12

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • 12+

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Where do the raiders go from here? Draft whatever qb falls to them? Trade up for a qb? Then bring in Brady for one year? :lol:

Offensively the weapons are there. Defense sucks, but has its moments they’re serviceable. But it’s hard to tell if the defense sucks or it’s coaching, or mixture of both.
i think if you were to give McDaniels some truth serum 2 weeks ago he woulda told you Carr’s fate is in his own hands and depends on how he plays, especially with Renfrow and Waller coming back.

He’s regressed so much this season. McDaniels system just ain’t for him - and i’m not trying to say McDaniels is to blame, Carr just doesn’t look comfortable out there. Not making the right reads, his throws are off, hella turnovers, very inefficient - all characteristics of things he’s actually been decent at throughout his career but it just ain’t clicking this season.

I’m expecting more of the same the next two games. Sad to see Carr go out like this, but this is probably the only way he was gonna get let go/traded from the Raiders.

idk if 6-11 will get the Raiders into the top 5 of the draft, but it should be close. I do expect the top QB’s to be gone by the time we pick, so who knows where we go from here…no thx on Brady. No thx on Jimmy G. But you kinda know it might happen on either of those guys…

edit: one last thing - Foster Moreau has been playing like *** the last few weeks.

Last edited:
I was reading in the other thread that as long as Carr isn’t injured, they can release prior to the superbowl and it’s a W for the raiders. It seemed like if he’s injured, they can’t cut him or if they do some salary cap implications happen. Minus whale bench him now and not risk the 49ers breaking his back :lol:

Idk where they’ll fare in the draft, but I know Chicago will be up there and they don’t don’t a QB. So maybe that’s a team they look trading spots with. Idc for Brady either, but anything is better than Carr at this point. ****, I’m sure Green Bay wouldn’t mind getting rid of Rodgers and his deal. 1 year of them and hopefully this qb they draft doesn’t flop

Yea, they can move on from Carr at the end of this season without a big financial.

Interesting though cause they’ll HAVE to make a decision on him shortly after the SB. We won’t know which free agent QB’s are available by then, but we’ll definitely know our draft pick and have a good idea of who might be available…

but it’s gonna be interesting to see what happens. His base salary next season is like $30m+ so i’d imagine they’re moving on from him just based off that number.

no idea what this means for Devante Adams.

Adams isn’t going to ask off his childhood team. Business is business and his bf is declining quickly. You can’t tell me that he doesn’t see it too.

no idea what this means for Devante Adams.
Low key, that situation worries me. Carr gets cut, if they don’t get a good/serviceable QB, I don’t think it’s off the table that Adams requests a trade. Nowadays the players have so much power they can do that, and it’ll be granted.

Also wouldn’t surprise me if they get rid of Waller this off-season too.

I think Jacobs gets franchise tagged for next year.

Yea, he actually looked like his old Renfrow self again on Saturday night. Unfortunately the offense tanked again n the 2nd half. Thats gotta be like the 10th time this season. we've said those exact words.

the defense been playing better lately, but damn are they horrible in situational football - when the game is on the line :lol:

Been seeing bits and pieces of quotes from the McDaniels presser all over socials and most of them read completely different when read in context.

If Stidham gets the named the starter this week and Carr gets put on ice their intentions will be clear, but the way a lot of stuff reads on Twitter, you'd think McDaniel's just completely threw Carr under the bus.

Raiders' Josh McDaniels Entire Monday Recap

Q: Over the last four games, Derek Carr’s completion percentage is 55 percent or below, and he's got nine interceptions over his last five games. Anything that you can put your finger on, on why it's going in that direction?

Coach McDaniels:
"Yeah. There's a lot of reasons obviously for that. It's never on one person. That's our responsibility, my responsibility. At the end of the day, the passing game and the production of the passing game usually has a lot to do with how we protect, the routes we run, the ability to read the coverage together, throwing and catching. There's a lot that goes into that. I know that statistic gets applied to only one person, but certainly there's other factors. So, I mean, look that's not good enough. And for us to be able to win at this time of the year and be productive, offensively you have to throw the ball better than what we've thrown at times here in the last month and a half. We've been able to win some in spite of that, overall, but clearly that's not the goal. The goal would be to be more productive than what we've been."

Q: Do you need your quarterback to play better?

Coach McDaniels:
“Yeah. I mean, look, we all can do better. If we're sitting in the meeting room today thinking that we played great over the last however long it is, I don't think that's really the case. We all can do better, and we should, and we need to. We can coach better. We're all in this together, that's the way it's going to be, and you win and lose as a team. Offensively, you're productive as a group not as one individual or a bunch of individuals. So, everybody can do better and I'm sure he'd be the first one to tell you that he could do the same thing."

Q: As you look at the team's long-term, Derek's contract, if he's injured, is guaranteed moving forward. So, if you guys continue to play him, is that: 'Hey, we're sticking with him in the future?' Or are those all things that have to be talked about?

Coach McDaniels:
“I mean, I think there's a lot of things that are going to go into that bucket once we kind of sort through after tonight. There are other things, too. I mean, we have guys – Divine [Deablo], is he worth playing, not playing coming off IR. The guys who got injured here this week or have some things that are nagging them. I think there's a lot of things that you start to talk about relative to taking care of the people who are dealing with things like that. Injuries or contracts, what have you, I think you've got to consider all that stuff. We just got back in this morning, so we're going through the game. We're going to coach the game and correct all the things that need to be corrected. The reality is, is we haven't had any conversations about those things yet. And as we go through the next 24-to-48 hours, I'm sure we'll sort through some of those things. But we're aware of all those things, too."

Q: Could there be a possibility that…

Coach McDaniels:
"I think there's a possibility that we would do the right thing regardless of the position, just in terms of the team. So, like I said, Chandler [Jones] went down, Denzel [Perryman] went down. Rushing those guys back. Divine [Deablo] is another one. I mean, there are a lot of things that could go into this, so I'm not going to get up here and prognosticate everything at this point. Like I said, we're going to get in here and coach the game and correct that, and then I think in due time make the right decisions hopefully to protect those guys who we should protect relative to health, and then also do the right thing for the organization as we go forward."

Defense has had its moments recently. But it just seems when it matters most, they fold to the pressure. It’s almost like a, “oh ****, here we go again….”
And it also seems like teams know raiders blow leads left and right, so there’s no urgency when they’re down throughout the entire game.

I agree with that tweet that Carr is still “serviceable” and many teams gonna want his service. But I think it’s time for a change. It’s only a matter of time before we’ll either think it was a good move or not. But keeping him isn’t gonna make the current squad any better

I agree with that tweet that Carr is still “serviceable” and many teams gonna want his service. But I think it’s time for a change. It’s only a matter of time before we’ll either think it was a good move or not. But keeping him isn’t gonna make the current squad any better

Had a lot of healthy Carr discussion over Christmas this year. My whole family are Raider fans and for the most party everyone is reasonable. :lol:

I think it's naturally pretty hard to escape some level of recency bias in this moment. Carr's having one of the worst seasons of his career and there's been huge regression in his play from his career mean, not just regression from his best seasons. There are a bunch of possible reasons for that, and I think some of them have don't have anything to do with Carr and that they're factors worth considering.

But past performance and the fact that Carr has played at a level that (imo) a well coached, more or less complete team can win with, also doesn't shield Carr from what he's doing right now this season. Especially when he's never performed at close to an elite level, or taken any meaningful next steps individually as a QB.

One of my biggest issues with Carr's career development from a "macro" level is that individually, he really hasn't ever improved on any of his weaknesses. If you go back and read his draft profiles and scouting reports entering the league, all the deficiencies and question marks cited almost 10 years ago are still there - disregarding the things out of his control like his physical profile or external factors. Maybe the one exception being that JUST this year he cleaned up his ball security, which is kind of ironic.

No matter where someone stands on the Carr debate or what to do next at QB, it shouldn't automatically mean they're not objective or can't see the opposing point of view. Obviously almost all of us here in this thread get that, but it's wild how how often people don't seem to subscribe to that idea elsewhere.

For me personally right now, I really do lean towards tagging Jacobs and running it all back again with Carr, Adams, Waller, Renfro etc.

McDaniel's isn't going anywhere. I think I would rather see what the current group can do better in a second more congruent season together than either of betting that a new veteran QB (who's probably worse individually than Carr) can do better, or going with a young/rookie QB and the impending total reset.

Whether he’s on the decline, his heart isn’t in it anymore, coaching, whatever…he’s had a bad season. Somehow we still won 6 games. If we can get the same production from a rookie or stop gap QB and use his 35+ mil salary to address OL and add play makers on D. I think those 2 changes could add at least 2 more wins. We can’t pay Carr 35+ mil, while still having holes in the roster, and expect to win a SB. He’s just not that type of QB and we’ve seen that over the last 9 years.

I’ve despondent about the Carr situation but I agree with ICE CITY CF ICE CITY CF I’d run it back for 1 more year and give him a chance with more familiarity with the system.

I know the running rate for a starting QB is what Carr is expected to get, but eating that salary on him is gonna hurt when he's clearly regressed and is not comfortable in this system. But I honestly don't know what the best play here is...

I understand wanting to run it back, but it's gonna be a $35M risk to do when there are other glaring holes on the team and you HAVE to pay Josh Jacobs. I'm not for or against getting rid of Carr - I've finally reached that age where I can't let the Raiders dictate my moods anymore and I've been in a much safer place because of it :lol:

Anywho, gonna be interesting to see what McDaniels/Ziegler are gonna do.

One thing I don’t get is the media saying the raiders have to make a decision regarding his contract by x date or it will become guaranteed.

We can trade Carr whenever the **** we want. Look around the league, I guarantee we can get at least a 2nd for him. Washington & Indy would give it up easily. People acting like it’s some bad contract is hilarious to me.

Trade Renfrow if we don’t money. 14 million for a slot receiver when you have Adams & Waller on the team is insane.

One thing I don’t get is the media saying the raiders have to make a decision regarding his contract by x date or it will become guaranteed.

We can trade Carr whenever the **** we want. Look around the league, I guarantee we can get at least a 2nd for him. Washington & Indy would give it up easily. People acting like it’s some bad contract is hilarious to me.

Trade Renfrow if we don’t money. 14 million for a slot receiver when you have Adams & Waller on the team is insane.
from my understanding the “x” date is when his contract becomes guaranteed. they can release him with like a $5m dead cap hit, which by Raiders standards isnt too bad.

but you’re right - if he’s on the roster past “x” date then technically they can trade but that contract would have to be part of the conversation for the team trading him. oh and Carr has a no-trade clause in his deal, so technically he can say no to any trade he doesn’t like.

IIRC there is an injury clause that guarantees his salary for next season and a portion of it for the following season. Raiders will need to bench him these next 2 games to ensure that doesnt happen or they'll have no choice but to roll with him next season.

Ive never had anybody believe in me the way people believe in Carr 😂😂
Seriously
Im a curious how he’s been able to con everyone around him. He must be mesmerizing in person.
Based on his Hard Knocks persona I dont see what people see in him. I thought he came off as a prick on that show. The way he talked down to players, especially rookie Abrams was unflattering for a supposed good guy.

from my understanding the “x” date is when his contract becomes guaranteed. they can release him with like a $5m dead cap hit, which by Raiders standards isnt too bad.

but you’re right - if he’s on the roster past “x” date then technically they can trade but that contract would have to be part of the conversation for the team trading him. oh and Carr has a no-trade clause in his deal, so technically he can say no to any trade he doesn’t like.

What I’m saying is there’s no world where the raiders release Derek Carr from an asset management perspective so why does it matter? If they don’t want him, they’ll trade him.

It’s worth it to get the extra reps for next season (especially with Renfrow/Hunter back) or even for further evaluation. Idk if Carr will be back but I know Stidham isn’t it, there is no point to play Stidham.

If they’re worried about Carr getting hurt in the last 2 games and his contract being guaranteed in 23 due to injury then they were never sold on him and they should’ve traded him from the jump.

I just don’t understand why there’s been so much talk about his contract and guaranteed money date. Even if he does get injured, Somebody will trade for that contract.

What I’m saying is there’s no world where the raiders release Derek Carr from an asset management perspective so why does it matter? If they don’t want him, they’ll trade him.

It’s worth it to get the extra reps for next season (especially with Renfrow/Hunter back) or even for further evaluation. Idk if Carr will be back but I know Stidham isn’t it, there is no point to play Stidham.

If they’re worried about Carr getting hurt in the last 2 games and his contract being guaranteed in 23 due to injury then they were never sold on him and they should’ve traded him from the jump.

I just don’t understand why there’s been so much talk about his contract and guaranteed money date. Even if he does get injured, Somebody will trade for that contract.

naw, Zieg wasn't going to trade him from the jump, but this season could've been an audition. typically, new front offices want "their" guy. whether you want to call it regression or adjustment to a new scheme, Carr has had a terrible season. i wouldn't be so quicky to say that someone will trade for that contract. he also has a NTC, so we can't just trade him to whomever can afford his salary, bc it'll likely be a rebuilding team.

Back
Top Bottom