The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Insane how much the discourse online is such a casual’s take…. So many complaining about Sean losing to lay and pray, I almost forgot what sport we’re watching. We need educated fans back.

Insane how much the discourse online is such a casual’s take…. So many complaining about Sean losing to lay and pray, I almost forgot what sport we’re watching. We need educated fans back.
This is generally going to be the opinions of casuals after fighters win with a grappling/wrestling/takedown-heavy style. I'll admit the two title fights weren't the most exciting fights but I can appreciate fighters having that style and doing what they need to win. It's also on the other fighter to have a gameplan preparing them of what to do when they are on the bottom. At least with the Merab-Sean fight O'Malley was actively trying to get the fight back to the feet even if he ate lots of gnp and knees to the thigh. I didn't get Herb Dean saying "work" constantly when Merab was actively "working" with gnp. Just cause he also circled in rd 5 doesn't mean Sean can't pursue him either. That was just bad reffing imo. Then early in the fight Joe big ups him as being one of the best. Herb did a good job of calling out the glove grab but made some questionable remarks later in the fight.

I think the argument about being upset with fans who don’t appreciate grappling is ridiculous. It’s not about a lack of appreciation—it’s about it being boring. Like it or not, casual fans are the ones being targeted because they make up the majority of the audience, and they want to see action. If people were that into wrestling or grappling, we’d have wrestling/jiu-jitsu leagues dominating, not the UFC. Most fans want to see violence, and if the fight goes to the ground, they expect punches and action, not just holding and controlling. Even people who enjoy the art of grappling don’t like it when it’s just stalling, especially when the opponent has no ground game.

^^^^^^I agree. No way everyone at the Sphere are hardcore MMA fans. But I sort of side with them with the cost of that card . There is always a chance you get that Max Halloway moment with Justin but sometimes you get fights where they fight smart but it is boring as hell.

Cost of the production and the sphere overall is still pennies to what they make in revenue :lol: .

They just threw all their eggs in the O'Malley basket and it went the other way. Happy for Merab. Seems like an overall good guy in and out the cage.

O'Malley x Merab reminded me of Pettis vs RDA

Pettis was never the same after he fought a true wrestler and eventually got fed to the dogs...

Interesting to see how Sean responds, going to be TOUGH matchups here on out.

That zellhuber vs ribovics fight was INSANEEEEEEE :wow:

Ortega doing what he do, take damage and keep walking forward. Dood is the king of CTE at this point. As mentioned, glad he isnt top 5 anymore...dont really have any desire to watch him keep fighting.

I was impressed by the production, it was pretty damn awesome. The mini videos between fights were pretty neat.

The back drops DURING the fights were :emoji_fire::emoji_fire::emoji_fire:

On some streetfighter ****.

Great event, too bad the main events were snoozers.

Watching the clip of the doctor playing with Aldanas skin. Ugh. Had to stop and skip. Now she look like Frankenstein’s monster. She was one of my baes. Sigh.

If (insert pronoun) don’t want to watch grappling or wrestling, they should turn the channel to Boxing, BKFC or Kickboxing.

I remember watching UFC 1 back in Ninety Fo. It was the whole premise. Pit the martial arts against each other. Because it was so new at the time, BJJ won out for a few UFCs (plus they didn’t have weight classes lol). Then wrestling came on with ol’ Dan Severn. Then Mark Coleman and Mark Kerr heralded the GnP era. Then the game evolved and required you to be either great in one discipline and solid in others (pick the wrong ones and you end up a crash dummy like T City). I didn’t hate the GSP era after the Serra loss. Dudes game was great. He had that laser jab, great takedowns (Merab is going to pass him in successful takedowns) and solid GnP.

I CAN understand watching until 2 am EST and have to watch two back-to-back wet blankets. But Dana should’ve known lol since he made the matchups. Can’t blame the fighters. We know Merab is going to crotch sniff. And we saw the takedown was there for Valentina in the first two fights. What else was she going to exploit?

Styles make fights, and I think majority of us in here knew there was a good possibility merab was going to do what he did. Wasn’t pretty but it works for him, and it will be interesting to see how that same style plays out fighting someone like umar.

Umar is technically superior on the feet and ground. He has a sub game. Great camp.

Tough first challenge for Merab. IF he wins, I think the following challenges would be easier in Figgy, Yan, Sandhagen, Suga, etc.

That was probably a calculated Merab versus the balls to the wall approach he normally takes. He was probably trying to avoid getting sniped which resulted in way less takedown attempts.

Umar straight up deserves it. That Sandhagen fight should've been labeled as a number 1 contender. Figgys run at 135 has been great but beating up on no chin and Chito ain't as impressive as shutting out Corey.

I think ufc gonna force this matchup next wether merab like it or not
It's so weird. Certain Muslim fighters, they'll strap the rocket to their back. Like I said, I believe Umar maybe the uncrowned champion. His only possible obstacle is Merab's cardio/pace.
Umar straight up deserves it. That Sandhagen fight should've been labeled as a number 1 contender. Figgys run at 135 has been great but beating up on no chin and Chito ain't as impressive as shutting out Corey.
I feel like Figgy deserves it more for beating Cody, Rob Font and Chito. Former champion too. But Cody Sandhagen was definitely #2 in the division outside of Merab and Aljo. If he had beaten Umar, he would be Merab's first title defense. Merab better train with his fellow Georgian to sharpen his hands.

Back
Top Bottom