The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC on NOW: Black Beast

Sucks if you threw any type of money at AJ
Think the line was pretty even

What if aj bet against himself lol

I just don't understand that if it was a legal knee why they were reviewing, why did Chris lose? Is it because he was saying he couldn't continue in hopes of getting the DQ win?

If so, F that dude. 

I just don't understand that if it was a legal knee why they were reviewing, why did Chris lose? Is it because he was saying he couldn't continue in hopes of getting the DQ win?

If so, F that dude. 
Originally ref called it illegal knee. I'm not even sure why they replayed it?

The doctors called the fight off

They said chris was unfit to continue, most likely due to him resting due to the ref telling him he has 5 minutes

Last edited:
Yeah apparently Weidman said he couldn't continue when he thought it was illegal. But when the ref let him know it was legal then all of a sudden he was trying to act like he was good to go, but at that point the doctors were already in there going through the protocols, and I guess they deemed him unfit to fight.

So basically he tried to get the dq wib and instead got a tko loss for his troubles

Yeah apparently Weidman said he couldn't continue when he thought it was illegal. But when the ref let him know it was legal then all of a sudden he was trying to act like he was good to go, but at that point the doctors were already in there going through the protocols, and I guess they deemed him unfit to fight.

So basically he tried to get the dq wib and instead got a tko loss for his troubles
There was never any mention or report from anyone that chris ever said he couldn't continue, is there a link saying this?

Hmm, I have no idea if this guy is legit or not

My only comment would be, if what this guy saying is true, and Chris initially said "no I can't continue" then why were they all still in there for so long. Soon as he said he couldn't continue they should have called the fight at that moment, waved it off. However they sat in there for an extended time looking confused

My question is, why is it a TKO loss for Weidman?

They kept saying that instant replays aren't allowed in NY, so the decision should've been made based on the assumption that the knees were illegal, making it a DQ loss for Mousasi or a no contest, right?

Seemed like the confusion came in when Big John told Miragliotta it was legal, and he went back to Weidman and the commission and said it was legal. Commission should've treated it as illegal still though.

Last edited:
It's officially considered a TKO loss for Weidman, not a DQ

But yes, instant replays are not to be used in NY

It would have sucked either way. If they never went to replay and would have said the knee was illegal that would obviously be incorrect. If Chris would have then said he couldn't continue, I wouldn't want them to give Chris a W based on the knees which were legal

Last edited:
It's officially considered a TKO loss for Weidman, not a DQ

But yes, instant replays are not to be used in NY

It would have sucked either way. If they never went to replay and would have said the knee was illegal that would obviously be incorrect. If Chris would have then said he couldn't continue, I wouldn't want them to give Chris a W based on the knees which were legal

Yeah, my bad bout the DQ. Just typed too quick.

It would've sucked for Weidman to get the win based on legal knees that were called illegal, but in my eyes, that's the right call. It was a bang bang situation for the ref and he did the right thing by stopping the fight when he did. Everyone thought it was illegal until the replays.

Either way, unfortunate turn of events for both fighters. I know Mousasi doesn't want to win that way, even though at the post fight he didn't seem to care after people told him it was legal and Weidman was buying time/hunting for a DQ W.

I just have a tough time ever giving a fighter a W based off a mistake. In Mousasi's case, you can at least say his strikes were completely legal and no doubt had impact on Chris

Ideally, the NY commission in the moment would have let the ref and judges know that replays are not allowed. Being that they implemented replay, the only two options would then be No Contest or continue the fight

I'm not quite sure if commission reps are allowed to be there making calls in the heat of the action?

Last edited:
Hmm, I have no idea if this guy is legit or not

My only comment would be, if what this guy saying is true, and Chris initially said "no I can't continue" then why were they all still in there for so long. Soon as he said he couldn't continue they should have called the fight at that moment, waved it off. However they sat in there for an extended time looking confused

If he's acting non-committal but basically insinuating that he's not good by saying he doesn't know if he can continue, then they're likely trained to go through the protocol. Cruz actually says on the broadcast that the doctors were probably staying in the ring because Weidman had said he couldn't continue.

And if you watch the video you can see how as soon as the ref tells Weidman it was legal he pops off the ground like he's ready to go, but at that point he already did/said enough in the last couple minutes to make the doctors think he wasn't alright, probably didn't pass whatever concussion protocol tests they gave him. Too little too late, and they called the fight.

I think it was as close to a good decision as they coulda got given the situation though. If the ref doesn't wrongly call the knee illegal then Moussasi is probably on his way to stopping Weidman, so the TKO is acceptable to me.

If he's acting non-committal but basically insinuating that he's not good by saying he doesn't know if he can continue, then they're likely trained to go through the protocol. Cruz actually says on the broadcast that the doctors were probably staying in the ring because Weidman had said he couldn't continue.

And if you watch the video you can see how as soon as the ref tells Weidman it was legal he pops off the ground like he's ready to go, but at that point he already did/said enough in the last couple minutes to make the doctors think he wasn't alright, probably didn't pass whatever concussion protocol tests they gave him. Too little too late, and they called the fight.

I think it was as close to a good decision as they coulda got given the situation though. If the ref doesn't wrongly call the knee illegal then Moussasi is probably on his way to stopping Weidman, so the TKO is acceptable to me.
Here's the thing though, the ref ruled the knee illegal. With that being said, of course you're going to take your 5 minutes to rest. He obviously got hit so you can't blame Chris for taking the time to recover, he had no clue if the knee was legal or not

Unless Cruz actually heard Chris say he could not continue, I can't really buy that. If this fan sitting cage side is telling the truth, that's fine. I don't wanna go off maybes and what might be said

Here's the thing though, the ref ruled the knee illegal. With that being said, of course you're going to take your 5 minutes to rest. He obviously got hit so you can't blame Chris for taking the time to recover, he had no clue if the knee was legal or not

Unless Cruz actually heard Chris say he could not continue, I can't really buy that. If this fan sitting cage side is telling the truth, that's fine. I don't wanna go off maybes and what might be said

IMO the stark contrast between how he was acting before and after he found out the knee was legal, mixed in with people overhearing his corner telling him to stay down, mixed in with the fact that he was playing the downed opponent hand games in the first place, I don't feel bad for the guy.

I think he tried to milk the system and got burned, but you're welcome to your opinion too.

The knee was initially ruled illegal, whether or not you're trying to milk it, why wouldn't you want your fighter to stay down and recover? I don't buy that argument at all due to the circumstances, Chris did the logical thing in trying to recover based off the ref's call

I don't necessarily feel bad for Chris, I don't necessarily think Mousasi automatically finishes him off, though those knees landed flush. Chris could have tried to tie him up on the ground and recover

Just think it was a botched situation from the jump. I really can't place blame on the ref either, it really did look illegal in real time. Going to the replay was botched

Last edited:
Ref should've never been told it was legal. Weidman took the time he thought he had to recover, but when he was told it was legal, he got up and said he was ready to fight again. I don't see any harm in that.

But there was a video that you can hear Matt Sera say Chris didn't know what day it was.

Weidman told the doctors he didn't know what day it was and thought it was February. Then they called the knee legal and he started to say it was Saturday repeatedly.

Ref was in a tough spot due to view and replays aren't allowed, however cageside officials could've given their opinion to the ref if necessary. Folks ringside did so, but did so after watching the replay.

Wiedman got what he deserved trying to win by DQ. Rules say either both fists or palms must be on the ground, fingertips do not count. Dude got in a bad spot and tried to pop his hands down making strikes illegal instead of intelligently defending himself. Meanwhile his coach was off in the corner yelling "I told you that guy was a dirty effing c-suckah." They were all angling for the DQ until they were told it was legal.

I'll be surprised if that's true unless it is a job tied to it without actually playing. He already said he wouldn't be playing football citing the damage in football would be equivalent to the shots absorbed in MMA and he didn't wish to take that kind of damage any longer.

Ref should've never been told it was legal. Weidman took the time he thought he had to recover, but when he was told it was legal, he got up and said he was ready to fight again. I don't see any harm in that.

But there was a video that you can hear Matt Sera say Chris didn't know what day it was.

This is kind of how I saw it.

He's told its illegal. He knows he gets 5. His corner knows he gets 5. He's trying to take his 5.

When he's told it's legal, he says he's good.

I still think the knee hurt and he was possibly concussed. He sounded funny in his post fight interview.

Though even a concussed fighter can say "I'm good" if he thinks they're going to call a fight.

But if the ref calls it illegal, and there is no instant replay, then it's illegal. They essentially used instant replay when it wasn't allowed. Although it seems like they got it right, they did it the wrong way.

Weird situation all around. And tough to call.

Last edited:
All y'all making up **** bout Weidman and going "off what u heard or read"...smh

Dude did nothing wrong, he was getting kneed, ref FD up by jumping in then ref FD up again by looking at replay.

Chris was taking the 5 min to recover from the knees which any smart person would do, its within the rules.

Cats talking bout he said this he said that, y'all wasn't in the cage nor did u have a special mic that nobody else had

Back
Top Bottom