The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

Claudia Bae-delha going to be a coach. I wouldn't need coaching to clap her cheeks, I would need to workout my core and pelvis though. She's probably diesel everywhere.

Goddamn at mitrione's eye.

Mad at the Pettis fight. Congrats to alvarez but leaning on someone against the cage is boring af. At least clinch and strike while there. I didn't spend money to watch free fights to see 2 fighters just stand there.

Cruz byke. I thought he judges were goig to give it to tj since Cruz slowed down a lot in the 5th round.

kenny probably was cheering at home then had the mad face when he heard the copy and paste comment.

Last edited:
Inspirational performance from Dom Cruz. Although I'm not really a fan of his, Great to see him get his belt back after what he's been through.

Cruz/Dillashaw almost completely made up for Pettis/Alvarez.

Pettis was dissapointing and Eddie was dissapointing even in a win. Kinda like a Jacare/Romero situation, they both looked wack.

I guess khabib or maybe el cucuy are next up after this RDS/McGregor fight plays out

Ariel is fired up and he's absolutely correct. Even though Mitrione/Brown didn't go to the judges, cheating pays these days in the UFC

They gonna give Khabib a tune up fight... I gotta think they give Ferguson or Alvarez the next title shot

Last edited:
I remember when bisping knee'd jorge rivera on purpose when he was down. Completely changed the fight and bisping won. rivera took that knee to the skull and was out of it. He should've told the ref he couldn't continue and gotten the dq or no contest.

The guy is screwed either way. You know how the fans get, some of them will boo, so it's a lose lose for the guy taking the shot.

It was a close fight and should have split in TJ's favor. You have to decisively beat the champ and Cruz did not do that in the Championship rounds.

It was a close fight and should have split in TJ's favor. You have to decisively beat the champ and Cruz did not do that in the Championship rounds.

That shouldn't be how it's treated though. A fight is a fight. You win, you win. The belt being on the line doesn't matter. Otherwise it shows clear favoritism

That shouldn't be how it's treated though. A fight is a fight. You win, you win. The belt being on the line doesn't matter. Otherwise it shows clear favoritism
The belt does matter, that's why it's 5 rounds. The first round was even. Rounds 2-3 were clearly Cruz, 4-5 were clearly TJ. I understand Cruz's takedowns are decisive points, but the damage to Cruz's leg and the pace/aggression that TJ kept in the Championship rounds account for more than what the judges gave TJ... but pace and aggression are not decisive points while takedowns are. The fight was decided because of the point system and not intangibles like momentum and hurting the opponent.

Last edited:
The belt does matter, that's why it's 5 rounds. The first round was even. Rounds 2-3 were clearly Cruz, 4-5 were clearly TJ. I understand Cruz's takedowns are decisive points, but the damage to Cruz's leg and the pace/aggression that TJ kept in the Championship rounds account for more than what the judges gave TJ... but pace and aggression are not decisive points while takedowns are. The fight was decided because of the point system and not intangibles like momentum and hurting the opponent.

Cruz dominated TJ for three rounds. Clearly. TJ was pressuring but it wasn't landing anything. In most cases, the person pressuring controls the pace of the fight. But TJ was fighting Doms fight. Simple as that.

TJ won the last two rounds. Clearly.

Simple math. No if, ands, or butts about it. This isn't an NFL game where you score the fight as whole. It's round by round. Which I disagree with, but that's another topic.

And if you want to talk damage, while TJ hurt Doms left knee, did you see TJs eye? That was swollen completely shut at the press conference.

I had it first 3 Cruz, 4th was Tj, 5th was close but i gave it to cruz...will watch it again without being emotionally vested in it lol 

Cruz had me wanting to go to the gym at midnight after 12 wings, fries, and 4 beers lol...dude is an inspiration

Cruz dominated TJ for three rounds. Clearly. TJ was pressuring but it wasn't landing anything. In most cases, the person pressuring controls the pace of the fight. But TJ was fighting Doms fight. Simple as that.

TJ won the last two rounds. Clearly.

Simple math. No if, ands, or butts about it. This isn't an NFL game where you score the fight as whole. It's round by round. Which I disagree with, but that's another topic.

And if you want to talk damage, while TJ hurt Doms left knee, did you see TJs eye? That was swollen completely shut at the press conference.
I really did not have Cruz over TJ in round 1, it was even. TJ connected with a few punches while Cruz was very elusive and peppered in a few counters.

You can consider the damage to TJs eye but that did not affect him in the Championship rounds like Cruz's leg affected him. Cruz winning is not a foul decision, but there is too much emphasis on takedown points in the early rounds and not enough emphasis on which fighter is on their heels/back in the Championship rounds. Pretty much if this went another 5 min TJ would have been decisively ahead.

TJ was really convinced he won, should blame your coaching for letting you down
I said it a while back...Bang said something to the effect of "Ive got him (cruz) figured out, we'll beat him easily"...he put the pressure on his fighter to back up a bold statement like that. 

Nobody has been able to figure out Cruz and when he made that statement i was shocked but at the same time curious as to what he saw and figured out....well they came with nothing new really...and all this on a fighter who hasn't fought much in 5 years who relies heavily on distance, timing, coordination, reflexes, etc

All fights that go to decision are decided by the point system though. The whole notion of having to beat the champion decisively has always been a stupid concept to me. You win more rounds in a close fight, then you win. I thought tj won though. Cruz could barely move in the last round with that messed up foot.

Last edited:
Dom getting the decision was surprising but justified. They usually favour the champion when it's that close.

I really did not have Cruz over TJ in round 1, it was even. TJ connected with a few punches while Cruz was very elusive and peppered in a few counters.

You can consider the damage to TJs eye but that did not affect him in the Championship rounds like Cruz's leg affected him. Cruz winning is not a foul decision, but there is too much emphasis on takedown points in the early rounds and not enough emphasis on which fighter is on their heels/back in the Championship rounds. Pretty much if this went another 5 min TJ would have been decisively ahead.

I agree with the last paragraph completely. Too much emphasis on takedowns. Just like the Pettis-Alvarez fight.

Alvarez did absolutely nothing with those takedowns

The only thing I disagree with is the notion that tj wasn't connecting on anything. Dom's face tells otherwise and so do the stats

Of course tj missed a ton too but that doesn't mean Dom didn't get hit. He said so himself that he got hit much more than he wanted. Cruz can eat and absorb shots for sure

I just feel like Dom's striking was more effective. His counterpunches did more damage then TJs strikes.

He took down TJ three times. And TJ has very good takedown defense

Cruz put on a defensive clinic. To the casual viewer it seemed boring. But dude is so damn technical with his footwork it's crazy. Especially considering he had 3 knee surgeries and he has all that lateral movement.

Dana didn't want to say how he scored the fight which was odd. He also said Robbie lawler had tj winning. I wonder who else had tj winning

Seemed like Dana wasn't thrilled that Cruz won most likely due to his fragile health

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom