The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC on NOW: Black Beast

Doms game plan was executed flawlessly. He knows TJ is an emotional walrus. So he talked all the smack knowing TJ would charge at him during the fight, which is exactly what Dom wanted

TJ threw too many lead head kicks

He was trying too hard to go for the home run

Should have used his boxing to hide them better

After a while his game plan was too obvious

Happy for cruz, didnt really have a horse in the fight but it was a damn good one.

I did feel TJ landed the harder strikes, but cruz made him look like a contender with all those misses and stuffed takedowns.

TJ just too small in the end.

welp...pettis done at 55....

too frail, need to go to 45 and try his luck there.

Tried to tell folks, pettis was very fortunate on his way to his belt, definitely was hand fed opponents and the benefactor of the UFC hype train.

He is far from complete, back to the drawing board. He need to work on his hand strength/ko power to set up his stand up better, hes so 1 dimensional on the feet, eddie just walked through him the whole fight with no respect.

Expect to see a similar fight when RDA and Mcgregor lock up.

Felder x crookchank was :wow:

felder is good man, he atheltic af, takes risks and has power, I see the UFC is trying their hardest to give him that push....crookshank was giving him the biz until he gave up his back. Felder is going to be a dood to watch, could be primed for a TS with 1-3 fights.

oonnnnn to the next.....

AJ gotta be careful he dont get gassed and taken to deep water by bader. I feel if AJ dont KO bader, he gonna loose a desc.

verdum x cain huh.....

we fighting at sea level or nah? :lol:

Last edited:
Pettis still beat beasts in Gil, Cowboy and Bendo. There's nothing to be ashamed of as far as his resume and those guys weren't hand picked at all. His TDD has ALWAYS been a huge problem, since Clay Guida

Since all the best guys at 155 are absolute grinders, it doesn't bode well for Pettis. Not only could he not prevent the take down, he looked uncharacteristically flat footed (lacked pop in his strikes). That could be contributed to the grinding style of Alvarez. Alvarez himself still took damage to his face, and I give him little to no chance against Khabib or RDA

I hope Alvarez fights Ferguson as a matter of fact and I hope Ferguson dismantles him

Last edited:
Wow, the differing opinions on the fight is interesting. Watching Luke Thomas' show he and his guest really seem unsure of the decision (though they lean Cruz)

Some folks say Cruz definitely won, I've seen fighters say TJ for sure won and analysts seem to lean Cruz but say it was razor close. Honestly it's what I love and hate about MMA lol. So many different perspectives

Yeah, nothing handpicked about Pettis' former opponents at all. melendez and henderson are strong wrestlers too and can do the same gameplan of leaning on him against the cage for a win but they both got finished. eddie ain't getting a titleshot. Leaning against your opponent isn't going to have the bosses hyped and rda would walk through him anyway.

Pettis still beat beasts in Gil, Cowboy and Bendo.

see this is where I see it differently

he caught these doods he didn't really dominate them, anyone can get caught. Pettis caught most his oppenents with Kicks or Subs.....but he aint never dug down and beat anyone.

like i've said before....the gil fight he lost that first round, was loosing the second round till gill got sloppy and got caught.

the cowboy fight was pretty even until he caught cowboy with the livershot.

The title fight with bendo, he caught him with an armbar (which was very nice btw) in like the first 2 minutes of the fight (he was a replacement for injured TJ Grant, didnt even essentialy "earn" that ts)

And yes at the end of the day a W is a W, but if anothny pettis is in your division, you know hes never been tested or pushed.....he gets off early and finishes guys early. he's never fought through adversity, never won while he was behind on the cards.

Dude can be broken basically. RDA BROKE him.....Eddie followed suit and did the same.

Pettis can be broke and drowned.....the word is out.

Always been a pettis fan, hes one of the most exciting doods to watch, but this MMA man, u gotta evolve....hes def. not up to par with his grappling and wrestling....he gotta catch up with the rest of the division(s). He got his work cut out for him if he wanna be champ again thats for sure, no riding the coattails of the showtime kick anymore. Dood basically is a scrawnier edson barboza.

At 45 he has NOTHING for aldo, and nothing for frankie.

Hes got some great fights between, llamas, mendes, cub, holloway, and olivera.....Mcgregor would also be a good fight too

This version of rda is breaking everybody though. He looks unbeatable. Is he the best lw we've had in the ufc? bj had his dominant streak also.

Pettis going to have to start strengthening his base if he wants to stay competitive at 155, not just improve his wrestling

It's honestly something that should have happened after the Guida fight, he was just able to get by without doing so

If he can solve this puzzle then only RDA stands a chance against him

As for Khabib, it's a bad match up for him but he can't be protected

Last edited:
Seeing Pettis struggle with these guys reminds me of how good anderson and jones were. Also tall, lanky fighters with great standup but held their own against smothering grapplers.

Cruz vs Faber
Cruz vs Barao

Once he runs through those two, have a super fight with MM
Eric Del Fierro should be advising and encouraging Dominick Cruz to retire. There will be no greater bantamweight moment than the present for Cruz. Heroic comeback from numerous challenging injuries and fighting once since 2011 leading into the T.J. bout. Cruz is fortunate to have a cushy broadcasting gig with FS1. I definitely see him venturing into coaching as well, the way he watches tape and provides technical breakdown.

If not retirement, a rubber match with Faber would definitely sell in California. Dana could bill it as NorCal vs. SoCal hype. Cruz was extremely green when Faber tapped him with a guillotine in WEC. Way in over his head at the time. Dom avenged that loss anyway decisively at 132. Decision was not close by any stretch of the imagination.

Barao's interesting because people questioned whether he was the true 135 champ during his unprecedented 32-fight unbeaten streak. Cruz was shelved for so long we didn't get to see this matchup in its prime. Barao now has deadly trouble making bantamweight and "Dede" should really be pushing him to be at 145 for the sake of his career, especially with Aldo no longer the titleholder. You could also argue Barao isn't deserving of a 135 title shot, having won only one fight sandwiched between convincing losses to Dillashaw.

A Cruz/Dillashaw rematch makes the most sense to me. Either co-main a PPV or main event again on a free Fox card.

He need to work on his hand strength/ko power to set up his stand up better, hes so 1 dimensional on the feet, eddie just walked through him the whole fight with no respect.
I hope you just worded the bolded statement poorly, because that's one of the most erroneous things I've read in this thread. Up there with Eddie not having a solid chin.

Anthony Pettis is extremely versatile with his striking. That is not even up for conversation. Plethora of athletic strikes in his toolbox.

"Showtime" needs more time drilling with Izzy. His lack of wrestling and TDD in particular will continue to be a major issue at lightweight. RDA and Gil revealed very publicly the blueprint to defeat Pettis. I posted the exact script prior to Alvarez's execution. "Showtime" doesn't do well with pressure fighters. He's not effective when the distance is closed and he's off his back foot against the cage. It throws off his range, timing, confidence. That and wrestling, we'll see what Duke Roufus and Izzy can do to help moving forward. I have no doubt Pettis can still out-strike guys like Nate and Barboza, but throw Anthony against Khabib-like guys, and he's doomed for failure.

Is he the best lw we've had in the ufc? bj had his dominant streak also.
Most would say Penn easily had the best UFC run at 155. Gomi in Pride if we're bringing in other organizations. Aoki to a lesser extent, gets far less credit than his Japanese counterpart. Jens Pulver would be the working man's representative. Not the prettiest record but he fought anybody. His second run in the UFC really tainted his resume and overall legacy. Bendo has an underrated stretch: Miller, Guida, Frankie x2, Nate, Gil. I understand if he's overlooked in the sense all were decisions, and two of those splits.

rewatched the cruz/tj fight....alot closer than watching it live.

1-3 were actually much closer but still dom imo

4 and 5 dillashaw but 5th was close

each round basically came down to a takedown or an impactful combo imo

i would like a rematch with dillashaw but faber is a sellable fight.  mighty mouse got cejudo to take care of and then he can fight cruz...if he gets that shot have faber vs dillashaw in the meantime and winner gets title shot.

Seeing Pettis struggle with these guys reminds me of how good anderson and jones were. Also tall, lanky fighters with great standup but held their own against smothering grapplers.
i dont see pettis as tall and lanky though, 5'9 seems common at LW

not only that but anderson and bones seemed noticeably taller than their competition

Last edited:
mighty mouse got cejudo to take care of and then he can fight cruz...
Love the way Cejudo grinds and his wrestling is elite for 125, but he's still not ready for MM after Formiga. Henry's boxing has improved leaps and bounds but he still has minor issues making flyweight, and his cardio will fail him in the deeper rounds against Johnson. Don't think Cejudo has much of an answer for "Mighty Mouse's" arsenal of strikes from plum clinch.

Johnson's only chance against Dom would be if the rematch was conditional at a 130-pound catchweight. MM has the speed advantage for sure but he's just not big/strong enough to make Cruz wilt IMO.

i dont see pettis as tall and lanky though, 5'9 seems common at LW

not only that but anderson and bones seemed noticeably taller than their competition

Look at their body types, lean with long limbs. Pettis is like 5'9-5'10, that's a good height even for ww. anderson and jones are probably around average height for their divisions. A lot of big guys in those divisions.

all the top guys at lw are 5'9+ though, rda, eddie, benson, khabib, cowboy, gil, hell i just read fergunson is 6'0

those 3 are definitely lanky though

Last edited:
see this is where I see it differently

he caught these doods he didn't really dominate them, anyone can get caught. Pettis caught most his oppenents with Kicks or Subs.....but he aint never dug down and beat anyone.

like i've said before....the gil fight he lost that first round, was loosing the second round till gill got sloppy and got caught.

the cowboy fight was pretty even until he caught cowboy with the livershot.

The title fight with bendo, he caught him with an armbar (which was very nice btw) in like the first 2 minutes of the fight (he was a replacement for injured TJ Grant, didnt even essentialy "earn" that ts)

And yes at the end of the day a W is a W, but if anothny pettis is in your division, you know hes never been tested or pushed.....he gets off early and finishes guys early. he's never fought through adversity, never won while he was behind on the cards.

Dude can be broken basically. RDA BROKE him.....Eddie followed suit and did the same.

Pettis can be broke and drowned.....the word is out.

Always been a pettis fan, hes one of the most exciting doods to watch, but this MMA man, u gotta evolve....hes def. not up to par with his grappling and wrestling....he gotta catch up with the rest of the division(s). He got his work cut out for him if he wanna be champ again thats for sure, no riding the coattails of the showtime kick anymore. Dood basically is a scrawnier edson barboza.

At 45 he has NOTHING for aldo, and nothing for frankie.

Hes got some great fights between, llamas, mendes, cub, holloway, and olivera.....Mcgregor would also be a good fight too
My main point was pettis has not been hand fed by the UFC. His opponents have been legit but yeah he hasn't solved the wrestler problem at all

all the top guys at lw are 5'9+ though, rda, eddie, benson, khabib, cowboy, gil, hell i just read fergunson is 6'0
"El Cucuy" vs. Eddie would be so lit. Stand-up war, both have above-average wrestling. Ferguson mixing in crazy, wild sub attempts.

Here's the catch-22 for Alvarez's career in the UFC: He bangs in his debut with Cowboy, stuns/rocks Cerrone early but loses. Narrow fight with Gil in which his eye/vision were badly affected, I scored it live 29-28 for Melendez. My point being Alvarez is a natural brawler, that raw Philly mentality which is pleasing to the crowd. He has really good boxing but when it comes to stand-up defense, gets clipped clean a lot. Too often for my taste in terms of damage accrued. Eddie gets wise, surprisingly, against Pettis by using superior wrestling to control "Showtime's" stand-up danger. Fans boo and widespread unhappiness accumulates regarding his performance. Unnaturally fighting cautiously and stressing his wrestling to negate his opponents' strengths is actually moving Alvarez closer to a title shot but ultimately losing non-Philly supporters in the process.

Back
Top Bottom