The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC on NOW: Black Beast

Aaron Pico fights on Friday against yet another non can. I'm still a big believer in Pico. Now that he's with Jackson's and Six Gun, I'm optimistic that they'll channel his skill set into a complete fighter

By the way, this is spicy

Max almost got to Dustin, that volume was still there. I don't know if Justin would have survived tbh. And he can take a lot of damage

You can go through Justin's resume and poke holes too, hell, Justin poked Barboza in the eye. You can go through any resume and poke holes

Besides Dustin beating Justin fair and square, besides the resume, I just again look at their techniques, and I believe Dustin elevated himself. Justin is respected and appreciated, I still have him high up there too. If he gave Khabib a run for his money I wouldn't be surprised. I'm just going off what we've seen of both men
All the shots Justin takes will add up. His defense is below par. Once his chin goes he will be mid pack. Only thing keeping him going is taking all those shots. Almost too tough for his own good.

They haven’t recovered Vince Rhonda left. They’re reaching out on what might sell another female. Cyborg turned out to be a huge flop

Honestly who else? There’s no other name

True, Tony/Khabib is also the fight I most want to see at LW and ideally it happens on the New Years card but not sure Khabib would be ready for a relatively quick turnover after he fights Dustin in Sept. unless Poirier pulls the upset. That said, if Khabib wins and then says he wants to wait til early 2020 I'm not sure Tony doesn't take another fight before the end of the year. He more than deserves the shot but as we have seen it's not always about how deserving you are, sad as that is.

Lol at filming a commercial.

This coming Bellator card looks real strong though. Even has Pico on the prelims.

Edwards getting slapped by Jorge was funny but outside of Colby, Edwards has the better claim to that askren fight

It is what it is tho, Edwards got no aura to him and got boo’d by his own people on his home soil

I mean, Masvidal KOed a recent title challenger in enemy territory. I’d say his claim to the Askren fight is just fine.

Coming off a horrible beating to woodley and before that missed weight and arguably lost to wonderboy

Jorge coming off two straight losses before

I’d say not as good as Edwards

Coming off a horrible beating to woodley and before that missed weight and arguably lost to wonderboy

Jorge coming off two straight losses before

I’d say not as good as Edwards
Jorge coming off 2 losses to guys far superior to Edwards. Only guy on their level Edwards fought was Usman and he lost to him.

Beating Nelson and Cowboy gets him worthy? Nah.

Jorge coming off 2 losses to guys far superior to Edwards. Only guy on their level Edwards fought was Usman and he lost to him.

Beating Nelson and Cowboy gets him worthy? Nah.
So you defend Jorge for losing to high caliber guys and then discredit Edwards for the same exact thing

Don’t forget Vicente Luque as well. When you win 7 in a row at some point that should elevate you. In this case strictly off resume, I think it does

I fully understand why Jorge is in that fight though

Edwards in a #1 contender fight?

His biggest wins are Gunnar and a Cowboy who was maybe above average at 170. Cowboy WAS actually on a 4 fight win streak at WW before Jorge starched him and he then lost to Lawler, Till and Leon.

He’s on a nice streak. But nah :lol:

That RDA fight is the perfect fight for him IMO.

It’s Edwards first fight against a Top5 fighter. Masvidal been fighting Top5 guys to a stalemate for years. Till. Split with Maia. Wonderboy, a 2x title challenger, outpointed him for sure but I remember it being a pretty boring uneventful fight though I could be wrong. Cowboy might’ve even been Top5 at the time.

Fast tracking these guys really doesn’t do them any good IMO.

EDIT: I didn’t see that boxer15 basically said this verbatim already :lol:

I would argue it’s Askren who is the more questionable competitor in the #1 contender fight based on what he’s done in the UFC.

Last edited:
Askren is undefeated and was a champ from another org, I think he deserves to be one half of a #1 contender fight, even though he looked like **** against lawler. He still squeaked out a finish

Jorge’s biggest wins are against cowboy :lol:and a fast tracked till who’s biggest win was cowboy :lol: and a very controversial win against wonderboy where he also missed weight :lol: and Jorge also just lost twice :lol:

Till didn’t deserve to be in the title fight to begin with and you sleep on Vincent Luque

No one is sleeping on Luque. The guy was 11-5 when he lost to Edwards. He is clearly on a nice run now though working his way up the division. Cool.

I already pointed out Jorge’s loses so parroting what I said doesn’t really mean much. I provided context for those loses.

Sometimes who you fight matters. Win or lose.

Sometimes when you fight someone matters. Some would argue beating Cowboy off a 4 fight win streak is a better look than beating him when he’s lost 3 of his last 4.

I also made a point of saying what I said about Askren being based on what he’s done in the UFC. Which isn’t much.

Details matter.

Leon should fight ONE Top 5 guy before we talk about a #1 contender fight. That’s just simple math to me. I know the UFC forgoes simple math when convenient for them but not at all mad they didn’t here.

I’m not mad at Jorge and askren getting that seemingly number 1 contender fight. It makes all the $ense and both are still in their primes

My take is that Edwards is absolutely in both of their leagues at the moment in terms of deserving a #1 contender. There’s nothing really laughable about it

Beating a streaking cowboy was a better win than Edwards for sure but that was also 2.5 years ago and Jorge got his rightful #1 contender chance, perhaps twice and couldn’t convert

To me Jorge fighting at the top of the division, winning some, losing some, warrants the #1 contender fight over someone who has not had a single fight against a Top 5 fighter.

If Edwards wins, then he’s in their league. Because to this point he really hasn’t even had a fight in that league. He literally fought Gunnar on the undercard of Masvidal/Till.

Back
Top Bottom