The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Usman punched Jorge in his left ribs HARD 100 times. I gaurntee hes in pain for a week and half and they're black today. By the 4th Jorge was turning on his tippy toes

I guess, we just differ in entertainment value. I found the Woodley and RDA wins as entertaining

This fight with Jorge was nothing like the Woodley fight though, don't even think that's opinion think that's fact

Maybe you’re right because I have no interest in going back and rewatching that fight :lol: . I just recall a lot of dirty boxing against the fence, Goddard calling for more action when I thought Usman was doing a good job of being active, Woodley being unable/scared to get anything off and being against the fence or on his back most of the fight. I do agree with you that it was a better performance than last night but I wouldn’t call it exciting imo.

Luke Thomas brought up a good point, you cannot attack the judges you have to attack the 10-9 scoring system. I've long said the same thing, scoring the overall fight is more optimal imo

PRIDE rules are better than scoring round by round imo

Maybe you’re right because I have no interest in going back and rewatching that fight :lol: . I just recall a lot of dirty boxing against the fence, Goddard calling for more action when I thought Usman was doing a good job of being active, Woodley being unable/scared to get anything off and being against the fence or on his back most of the fight. I do agree with you that it was a better performance than last night but I wouldn’t call it exciting imo.
On top of this, Usman rag dolled Woodley on a few takedowns, stuff we've never seen before against Woodley

idk, to me that wasn't anywhere near the same as last night

Love Jorge. But Usman had to do it for the culture.

i don’t find him boring but I was dead when someone called him the Nigerian NyQuil

This is what bothers me

People wanted jorge to fight for title and I'm wondering how beating nate Diaz earns you a title shot, same **** with Conor thinking he deserves shot after beating cerrone

Cerrone and Diaz aren't contenders at 155 or 170 and it's ridiculous

The Nate fight only further pushed the personality angle in my opinion. Plus involving the Rock in the promotion got casuals invested.

If anything the title shot was earned by sleeping Till, a former title challenger, in his hometown. And by sleeping Ben Askren, the undefeated former Bellator and One welterweight champ.

Don’t get me wrong I always prefer watching fighters stand and bang. However, I knew better then to expect usman to try that with Jorge. I knew only action would come early in the rounds before usman could get a hold of him and grapple or wrestle. I’m not sure I’m built for these 1am fights anymore.

The Nate fight only further pushed the personality angle in my opinion. Plus involving the Rock in the promotion got casuals invested.

If anything the title shot was earned by sleeping Till, a former title challenger, in his hometown. And by sleeping Ben Askren, the undefeated former Bellator and One welterweight champ.

Jorge definitely earned that title shot and was a legitimate contender, Usman is just a terrible matchup for him and pretty much everyone else in the division.

145 is a mess 😂

I would say Max deserves yet another rematch but we have Yair vs Zabit next month, you can make the case that the winner would also deserve the next title shot

Korean Zombie lingers but seems like he isn't interested in fighting on Fight Island so he'll probably be shelved for now

Jorge definitely earned that title shot and was a legitimate contender, Usman is just a terrible matchup for him and pretty much everyone else in the division.

how did he earn it though?

by beating til off a 2 fight losing streak?
by beating askren and his whole fugazi stay in the ufc?
by beating nate?

none of it made any sense to me

by beating nate?

Who else in that division is getting the title shot? Hell Burns got it and he just moved up a few fights ago.

by beating nate?

Colby got his deserved shot, other than him, who else earned it over Jorge? Leon Edwards or Burns are the only answers imo

The only thing is, Burns had already secured that title shot just got taken out by COVID. When you put Jorge and Leon's resumes head to head, I wouldn't be mad if you chose either guy

Colby got his deserved shot, other than him, who else earned it over Jorge? Leon Edwards or Burns are the only answers imo

The only thing is, Burns had already secured that title shot just got taken out by COVID. When you put Jorge and Leon's resumes head to head, I wouldn't be mad if you chose either guy

And Kamaru already has an earlier win over Leon as well.

they could have pushed it back, but instead we got this boring noncompetitive fight

now instead of waiting a few weeks, we might have to wait a few months for a barely scaved usman to fight burns

im not mad at usman for taking an easy fight and im not mad a jorge for taking the payday, but it just shouldnt have happened

And Kamaru already has an earlier win over Leon as well.
And then you factor in how little buzz Edwards gets and how he got boo'd in his own country...

I support Edwards more than anyone on this board lol but I acknowledge he has no pop. He definitely deserves consideration for the next shot though, it should be him or Burns. It's been like 5 years since the Usman loss, I think that's enough time plus he racked up a ton of wins since then

they could have pushed it back, but instead we got this boring noncompetitive fight

now instead of waiting a few weeks, we might have to wait a few months for a barely scaved usman to fight burns

im not mad at usman for taking an easy fight and im not mad a jorge for taking the payday, but it just shouldnt have happened
Now that I can agree with in a sense. Pushing the Burns fight back. I still can't agree that Jorge didn't earn his shot though

If you discredit Jorge's wins you can do the same things to Burns' (I certainly wouldn't but you could)

Imo 3 guys had earned shots: Jorge, Edwards and Burns

And then you factor in how little buzz Edwards gets and how he got boo'd in his own country...

I support Edwards more than anyone on this board lol but I acknowledge he has no pop. He definitely deserves consideration for the next shot though, it should be him or Burns. It's been like 5 years since the Usman loss, I think that's enough time plus he racked up a ton of wins since then

Edwards is a deserving contender I just don't think he should have gotten a shot before Jorge did. Also it might not seem fair but I think he needs one more fight now before getting a title shot since it's been so long since he's fought. Woodley or even Jorge would make sense. If it was just a true tune up fight then maybe someone like Maia.

Edwards is a deserving contender I just don't think he should have gotten a shot before Jorge did. Also it might not seem fair but I think he needs one more fight now before getting a title shot since it's been so long since he's fought. Woodley or even Jorge would make sense. If it was just a true tune up fight then maybe someone like Maia.
Can't disagree with any of it if they gave Burns the next shot. Edwards would probably then need to take another opponent

Jorge should have only two options: Colby or Edwards

If Conor somehow wanted to fight Jorge then sure that could be another option

If Jorge vs Colby gets made, Edwards most ideal opponents then goes to Wonderboy or even Chisea

Can't disagree with any of it if they gave Burns the next shot. Edwards would probably then need to take another opponent

Jorge should have only two options: Colby or Edwards

If Conor somehow wanted to fight Jorge then sure that could be another option

If Jorge vs Colby gets made, Edwards most ideal opponents then goes to Wonderboy or even Chisea

I think Woodley makes the most sense for him (if he's even interested in fighting still) since that fight was already booked before all of this hit.

by beating nate?

At the TIME, he was the top contender. Woodley was coming off of a loss to Usman. Till moved up divisions. Askren lost to Masvidal. Lawler got annihilated by Covington. Edwards has lost to Usman and was a dark horse. Covington was scheduled to fight Usman last December.

Now fast forward to now, Burns is the top contender. That’s the issue with the pandemic and the time between title fights sometimes. If Masvidal and Usman had fought in April then we’d be talking about Burns and how Usman was going to deal with it. It all comes down to timing.

Also, unpopular opinion. I find Khabib and Usman fights works of art but boring. Woodley/Usman boring. Their grappling ability is so excellent that most of their opponents don’t have a way to mitigate so we watch as they dominate for 25 minutes or get a GNP stoppage or choke. It’s not their fault.

I think that’s the intrigue of Burns/Usman. Usman can’t do what he did to George last night. Burns has trained with him. And he’s a BJJ world champion. And he has solid striking.

8 weeks from now Jorge would’ve had the same result with a full fight camp.

I think Woodley makes the most sense for him (if he's even interested in fighting still) since that fight was already booked before all of this hit.
I left Woodley out because I think Woodley needs to fight someone lower down the chain. Chisea for instance or even Luque or Magny

Let Woodley have a chance to get his mojo back because he's been fighting non stop #1 guys for forever. A bout against Leon at this point is basically tempting Woodley to call it quits with another loss

^^^The new normal, man.

We’ve been getting cards but the landscape just seems to have been in a holding pattern.

Also what are your thoughts Yan/Aljo?

Amanda's coming out party :pimp: future contender/star. Got all the tools to be a star in 2 divisions. Hope they don't rush her to a top 10 just yet and take the OMalley route with her cause she has all the tools and personality.

Rose :pimp::pimp::frown: hope that wasn't an orbital fracture. Her boxing is crisp as hell. Using that jab when she exits to shield her from that left hook was A1 first 2 rounds.

My man hiker Holloway:smh:.. I feel for Max man, like Dana said, that had to be a heartbreaking loss man. Just sucks that Holloway clearly had the 1st 2 rounds (people who said 1-1 in here shmokin) and Volkonovski didnt have any clear rounds as those. My man bringing back the spinning body kicks and finishing combos with high kicks was a thing of beauty. I think he even threw a cartwheeI kick at the end of a round but the camera cut to an angle where it was hard to see :lol:
Give me
Volk/Zabit
Ortega/TKZ (winner vs. Champ)
Max/Yair winner vs Kattar/Ige

Dana not saying Aljo is the clear cut next contender and they looking at Marlon.. smfh. He knows Aljo Gon take that belt and he needs that Russian champ in case Khabib hangs it up.

People complaining bout Usman like he didn't just come off a FOTY contender against the first Trump chump in 2019. He went back to his bread and butter of clinch work to takedowns vs a fighter he knew could put him out. Fight looked almost the same as Woodley. Fight went exactly how I thought. Jorge said maybe Leon would be next.. Leon would do the same **** to him. Usmans going to be one of them dudes where people won't appreciate til he's done, which is a shame. That clinch work is unstoppable.

Post of the night to Who ever said Andrade/Namajunas was real life Abby/Ellie:rofl::rofl:

Did Dana really say Moraes is next? That’s bs. Aljo deserves the title shot.

Is Dana being racist and feeding Yan washed fighters and Brazilians?

And I agree. It’s hilarious. People expect Covington, Usman or Khabib to stray away from their bread and butter when they have a marked advantage versus accept the risk of trading strikes in a 50/50 or more situation. Why you think DC had that snooze fest with Anderson, who was clearly out of shape and coming off a surgery?

Back
Top Bottom