The NBA Draft Thread

In his workout in Anaheim, California, on Tuesday, Hield certainly looked the part as a shooter. He rarely missed shots, regardless of where he was on the floor. When the NBA 3-point line became boring (a line that is typically intimidating for college shooters, regardless of their skill), he was comfortable stepping back another five feet and hitting 20-of-25 from "Curry range" in one drill. And Hield did it with all the confidence that he showed at Oklahoma last season. He believes he can be special; great shooters need that level of confidence.

His confidence and quick release make him arguably the best shooter in this draft. In a league desperate for shooters, that only makes him a more attractive lottery pick.

He also knows that the Curry comparison isn't a perfect fit. Curry is an elite ball handler with crazy good court vision. Hield's handle and court vision have been criticized by scouts. And while Curry isn't an all-NBA defender, his effort on that end clearly surpasses Hield's right now.

Of course, when Curry entered the league, virtually every scout worried about similar things: Is he a point guard? Can he defend anyone?

Hield hears the criticism and has been spending most of the past six weeks tightening up his handle and working on his explosiveness in an effort to improve his lateral quickness. He has even received some on-court tutoring from Kobe Bryant.

Both efforts are coming along nicely. Hield looked terrific in a number of ball handling drills, and while I didn't get to see him play defense (he was in a one-on-none workout), he seemed confident he was going to address his defensive deficiencies in the NBA.

"My freshman year I was a good defender," Hield said. "My sophomore, junior and senior year I turned into a scorer. I took a step back the last three years.

"But if you want something you go and get it. I know in the NBA there will be a lot of 2-guards coming at me. I know I have to stop them to stay on the court. Defense comes from your heart inside. ... I have a lot of heart.

"I'm not going to let anyone take advantage of me. That's how it's always been for me growing up. So I'm going to do what I have to do when I get there and I don't think defense will be a problem for me."

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Last edited:
Do people really think that Thon Maker is gonna fall all the way to the end of the first of possibly the second round?

He worth a lottery pick just based on potential alone.

Do people really think that Thon Maker is gonna fall all the way to the end of the first of possibly the second round?

I think he's a second round pick. You're basically picking him to play a couple years in the DLeague

Last edited:
I think he ends up somewhere in the 20s. I can't see one of the Celtics/Sixers/Suns/Raptors who have multiple first rounders and all have picks in the mid-late 20s passing on him. That pick is likely going to be a stash pick anyways for those teams, so might as well pick a 7'1 19 year old that can shoot a bit...

I think he's a second round pick. You're basically picking him to play a couple years in the DLeague
ok if you say that about him, what is the plan with Skal that projected to go lottery?

whats the difference between those two?

It Thon Maker stayed in Australia and played with them high school kids like Dante Exum did....

He'd be a lottery pick for sure :lol:

Draft Express moved Simmons up to the Sixers and Ingram down to the Lakers in their latest mock. :nerd:

Last edited:
All I'm saying is if Thon Maker is available when the Warriors pick at the end of the first round I would take him no hesitation

If Thon is still there with our 26th pick then I'd take him. We need to stash one of our picks anyways cuz at the very most we'll have 5 rookies coming into this season lol. Thats just too much

About time. They were silly for putting Ingram at #1 when they did it originally.

I don't see how it's silly, I think Ingram will be better from day 1 and he fits better with Philly than Simmons.

Simmons has a higher ceiling yes but I don't think the difference between them is that defined.

I don't see how it's silly, I think Ingram will be better from day 1 and he fits better with Philly than Simmons.

Simmons has a higher ceiling yes but I don't think the difference between them is that defined.
I mean I guess I just don't care about fit when it comes to one of the worst teams in the history of the NBA. I find Simmons to be the best player available in this draft with the most potential, and I think that he will definitely be better than Ingram from day 1....I do think Ingram will be a really good player in this league at some point though and any team that gets him (Lakers) will be very happy.

It Thon Maker stayed in Australia and played with them high school kids like Dante Exum did....

He'd be a lottery pick for sure :lol:

nope.

Exum played FIBA basketball Nd played well, also played Adidas nation and played well. way tougher comp than AAU and high school.

Dante Exum was not some mystery project.

I mean I guess I just don't care about fit when it comes to one of the worst teams in the history of the NBA. I find Simmons to be the best player available in this draft with the most potential, and I think that he will definitely be better than Ingram from day 1....I do think Ingram will be a really good player in this league at some point though and any team that gets him (Lakers) will be very happy.

Simmons on the Sixers is a guy who can't shoot with a bunch of other guys who can't shoot.

He can dominate the NCAA because he was more athletic than any of his competition but his skill set definitely does not lend to him being that good early on.

Ingram is the better ISO scorer and can/isn't afraid to shoot.

nope.

Exum played FIBA basketball Nd played well, also played Adidas nation and played well. way tougher comp than AAU and high school.

Dante Exum was not some mystery project.

Thon balled out at Adidas Nations. He just didn't play well at Hoop Summit.

Being a mystery prospect really would've benefited Thon. Cmon man...you can't argue that.

Back
Top Bottom