The Oakland Athletics 2013 Season Thread

First you blow a 3-0 lead.

Then you blow a 4-3 lead.

Then you have the bases juiced down 1 and can't get anybody home.

Then that piece of **** Brett Anderson comes in.

You got to be ******g kidding me. That is inexcusable, especially in an elimination game.

Now we get Verlander. :smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh:

Devastating... :smh:

Brett Anderson :x the guy has lost it

Yoenis giving up on the flyball :smh:

Reddick :smh:

The fans robbing Reddick of what might have been one of the greatest catches ever :nerd:

Last edited:
If the fan wouldn't have intefered it would have been an amazing catch. The loss put me in a bad mood for no reason

If the fan wouldn't have intefered it would have been an amazing catch. The loss put me in a bad mood for no reason

Within in the context of the game, the robbing that HR would have def made it a memorable play. They kept on showing different angles, and I swear from that side view you can tell he was really close to catching the ball and that there was fan interference. I won't go as far to say that it would have been a guaranteed catch, but the fan interference robbed Reddick of the opportunity.

Reddick def frustrated me. I know they had to protect against the change-up, but really? NO CONTACT?!

I hope the A's win.

I don't think we're going to see the same verlander from game 5 last year but how often do you get the chance to make up for last season by facing the same team, same pitcher, at home again in the same situation as last year.

Hopefully they can get the win.

The problem is Verlander thrives on low average hitting players. If you're not putting the bat on the ball, you're getting struck out. This is what makes guys like Callaspo valuable, because he will at least get a stick on the ball, whereas someone like Sogard will watch it go past him.

The majority of our players will take pitches rather than swing, but we have some hope in Callaspo, Cespedes and Coco.

I want this lineup:

Crisp CF
Lowrie SS
Donaldson 3B
Moss RF
Cespedes LF
Smith DH
Callaspo 2B
Barton 1B
Suzuki C

SP - Colon

Man, I'm so ******g nervous with Gray on the mound. We cannot expect the same kind of performance. This team has to be due to hit Verlander? Right? I sure as hell hope so.

I'll be leaving the office around 2 to make it to the ballpark, coming from Sacramento.

Please don't remind me of the early 2000s...:x :smh: |I

Just think happy thoughts and look back on the positives for us going into tomorrow. That's all I can do for myself, at least.

I wish I could...but if we lose this series, there will be no positives for me.

I won't be there chanting "Let's Go Oakland" like fans did last year. Last year we shocked the world, this year I had expectations.

They need to win tomorrow for anyone to take this team seriously...

Frankly, if we don't win tomorrow I don't think I can take them seriously either. Billy Beane's hitting philosophy just doesn't work in the playoffs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/sports/baseball/the-curious-curse-of-the-oakland-as.html?_r=0

An Excerpt:

General Manager Billy Beane, the architect of a string of surprisingly successful A’s teams both then and now, said that his deeply statistical, low-cost system “doesn’t work in the playoffs,” adding, “My job is to get us to the playoffs.”

What happens in the postseason, he said, is “luck,” prefacing the word with an R-rated adjective.

If playoff success truly is a matter of luck, the A’s of the “Moneyball” era are jinxed with the worst kind of it. Long gone is the novelty of Oakland being the regular-season surprise contender, replaced by it being the most predictable of October flameouts. The only thing more likely than sewage overflowing at O.co Coliseum before Thursday’s Game 5 against the Detroit Tigers will be anxiety surrounding the home team.

I kind of agree with him :\

Back
Top Bottom