Votes: 23 62.2%

Votes: 1 2.7%

Votes: 3 8.1%

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 11+

• Total voters
Any time I read some **** like that it makes me worry that our tackles suck ***.

Last edited:
"The Autumn Wind is a pirate
Blustering in from sea,
With a rollicking song, he sweeps along,
Swaggering boisterously.
His face is weather beaten.
He wears a hooded sash,
With a silver hat about his head,
And a bristling black mustache.

He growls as he storms the country,
A villain big and bold.
And the trees all shake and quiver and quake,
As he robs them of their gold.

The Autumn Wind is a Raider,
Pillaging just for fun.
He'll knock you 'round and upside down,
And laugh when he's conquered and won."

- Steve Sabol

I really like what I’m reading about Key, PJ Hall and Hurst.

Makes me want Khalil signed even more :smh:

They say this how, but if they get an opportunity to cash a check you know they’re dippin :lol:

But cool nonetheless:pimp:

Been on vacation these past few days. I’ll run through the Athletic tomorrow and drop more articles tomorrow.

Raiders receivers Ryan Switzer and Martavis Bryant are taking very different routes in camp

Martavis_AP_18165053988702-1024x702.jpg

By Vic Tafur Aug 6, 2018
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

NAPA — The Raiders traded for a pair of receivers to help bolster their offense behind starters Amari Cooper and Jordy Nelson, and halfway through training camp, Ryan Switzer and Martavis Bryant are catching on at different speeds.

Switzer considered himself the starter at the slot position the day the Raiders dealt Jihad Ward for him, and he has been playing like it. Bryant, acquired for a third-round pick, was supposed to take the top off the opposing defense with his speed, size (6-foot-4) and playmaking ability. Thus far, at practices in Napa, the top is still on.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden didn’t mince words on either receiver Saturday afternoon after practice. (The team was off Sunday.)

On Switzer:

“He’s a guy that can change the game, I think, on third down. He’s a tough matchup. He’s quick. He has vertical speed. He has special teams ability.”

On Bryant:

“He has to get out here and play better. … He’s in a competitive situation and right now, a lot of the other receivers have had a nice camp. He has to learn the offense. He’s had some illnesses. He has to master the offense and become more versatile. That’s the key to making this team better.”

Gruden wants all the receivers to know every position, so he can move them outside and inside and in motion to keep defenses off guard.

Switzer has picked it up quickly.

“You have to be ready for the checks, you have to be ready for hot (routes) at all times,” Switzer said after practice Friday. “I think that’s part of my strengths. I can win in man-to-man coverage. I can win 1-on-1, and I can recognize coverages and find what holes to hit. That’s what I can put to good use this year.”

I couldn’t ask Bryant his thoughts because he has been unavailable to the media thus far at camp because the team wants him to focus on football and not on questions surrounding his previous two strikes with the NFL for violating its substance abuse policy.

(Bryant had to visit the league office over a paperwork issue in April and missed the last day of the team’s minicamp in June. His camp has told The Athletic that he didn’t fail or miss a drug test, and Bryant has been participating at Napa, with the exception of a sick day he took last Wednesday.)

Gruden was asked why he thought the former Steeler was behind in learning the offense.

“I’m not saying he’s behind,” Gruden said of Bryant. “I’m saying he has to be more versatile. I’m not going to say any more than that. He’s in a competitive situation. Nothing is going to be given to anybody.

“It doesn’t matter how you got here or what your history card says, we need everybody to understand the best players are going to play. He has to be more consistent. I’m confident he will.”

The 5-8, 185-pound Switzer, meanwhile, is happy to have a chance to get himself back on the football map after an early hamstring injury all but erased the fourth-round pick from the Cowboys’ plans last season.

“That’s big for me. I need to get back to my ways,” Switzer said. “I’m going on two years removed from being an All-ACC receiver and setting school records. Last year, that just got thrown by the wayside. I’m really looking forward to getting back to those ways.”

Switzer is also the favorite to win the punt-returner job, though Dwayne Harris has also had a good camp.

“I love Switzer,” Gruden said. “I think he’s one of the best punt returners of college football, perhaps the history of college football. He’s as good as I saw. I’m 54, I wasn’t around to say I saw everybody, but hell of a returner. … Incredible start and stop quickness, and he’s a courageous, tough guy.”

Also, former practice-squad player Isaac Whitney has had some nice deep catches, and 6-4 seventh-round pick Marcell Ateman has shown he can do more than just post-up defensive backs in the corner of the end zone.

“He’s going to get on the field if he keeps playing (like this),” Gruden said. “We had a personnel meeting the other night and everybody is talking about Ateman. We’re going to play the best guys and right now he’s earning the right to get on the field.”

Extra points
Gruden was encouraged that cornerback Gareon Conley (hip) came out for Friday afternoon’s walkthrough. “That’s a real good sign,” Gruden said. Conley is still expected to be out at least another week. … Gruden said he cut kicker Giorgio Tavecchio Friday because rookie Eddy Piñeiro has been kicking well and because he didn’t like holder Johnny Townsend going back and forth between left- and right-footed kickers. “The operation will be much better,” Gruden said. New kicker Mike Nugent, a 13-year vet, is right-footed and will be asked to mentor Piñeiro in exchange for a month of paychecks. (At least that’s how I see it — Gruden said there is still a kicker battle.) … Safety Erik Harris is expected to return to practice Monday after having finger surgery. … Gruden said guard Gabe Jackson should also return Monday after “getting knocked around” on Thursday.

Anyone eager to see anything this Friday?

I'm curious to see just how lost Bryant is.

Back
Top Bottom