The Official 2020 NFL Offseason Thread - The Cleveland Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
FB_IMG_1587944624642.jpg
We killed it

The 2020 NFL draft is in the books, and it was ... interesting. Green Bay surprised everyone with a quarterback in Round 1, and Philadelphia did the same thing in Round 2. On Day 3, I was surprised that quarterbacks Jacob Eason and Jake Fromm were still available. We also had a whopping 36 wide receivers in the 255 picks, which is tied with the 2003 class for the most WRs drafted in a single year since the draft was shortened to seven rounds in 1994.

So let's get to my grades for all 32 NFL teams. Which team really had the best class? A reminder, as always: What I do here is assess two main things, using my own player grades as the prism:

• How effectively did teams address key personnel holes?
  • How efficient were they in maneuvering on the draft board?
Let's go from best class to worst class, with teams with the same grades in alphabetical order. Check out our SportsCenter Special in which we go through every grade on Monday at 3:30 p.m. ET on ESPN and the ESPN App. All right, let's get to it, starting with a team I know well.

Jump to:
ARI | ATL | BAL | BUF | CAR | CHI | CIN
CLE | DAL | DEN | DET | GB | HOU | IND
JAX | KC | LV | LAC | LAR | MIA | MIN
NE | NO | NYG | NYJ | PHI | PIT | SF
SEA | TB | TEN | WSH

Baltimore Ravens: A

Top needs:
ILB, WR, G/C, DT

Look at this Ravens roster. Where are the holes? Definitely middle linebacker. Maybe wide receiver. Probably a guard to replace Marshal Yanda. But that's it. So I liked that the Ravens got an off-ball linebacker at No. 28 whom Lamar Jackson called "Ray Lewis Jr.," and I liked that they didn't have to move up to get him. Patrick Queen started only 16 games in his LSU career, but his talent bursts on the tape. He's a fit as a long-term C.J. Mosley replacement. (By the way: Baltimore has now drafted three linebackers in the first round: Lewis in 1996, Mosley in 2014 and Queen. Those first two were/are pretty good.)

The Ravens entered this draft with three picks in the first two rounds, and they ended up with five total picks on Day 2. Here are those picks, along with where I had them in my overall rankings:

So as you can see, all five of them were at least 20 spots higher on my final Big Board. That's outstanding value. Baltimore fortified the middle of its defense -- it gave up 4.4 yards per carry last season, most in franchise history -- got a playmaker to help Jackson in the slot, and picked a tackle with guard experience who could compete to take over for Yanda, along with fourth-round pick Ben Bredeson (143). I'm also a big fan of James Proche (201), a super-productive pass-catcher who could fill a role, and safety Geno Stone (219) could be a special-teams menace as a rookie. Getting him in the seventh round is stellar.

General manager Eric DeCosta had another really strong draft. Expect Baltimore to be a Super Bowl contender again.

Indianapolis Colts: A-

Top needs:
QB, WR, Edge, CB

It's easy to forget that the Colts have made the playoffs only once in the past five seasons. Heading into last season, there was some buzz around this team. But then Andrew Luck shockingly retired, Jacoby Brissett took over at quarterback and Indianapolis' holes were exposed in a 7-9 year. Still, general manager Chris Ballard has done a good job of stocking the roster with talent since he took over in 2017. The Colts have some young stars, highlighted by a tremendous 2018 draft class, and Ballard dealt the No. 13 overall pick in this draft for defensive tackle DeForest Buckner, who has emerged as one of the best interior defenders in the league. Ballard also has a new starting quarterback, with veteran Philip Rivers taking the reins for at least the next year, and he also has an extra second-round pick from Washington, which traded up into Round 1 in last year's draft.

So, how did Ballard fare this year? I'm a huge fan of 6-foot-4 wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr., who has legitimate No. 1 potential. He reminds me of former USC wideout JuJu Smith-Schuster, and they ran similar 40 times at the combine. For a wide receiver corps that struggled with injuries and ineffectiveness last season, Pittman will provide a spark. The Colts traded up three spots to snag Jonathan Taylor (41), one of the most prolific running backs in college football history. I thought he might sneak into the first round.

Then there's quarterback Jacob Eason (122), whom Indianapolis was able to snag in the fourth round. I thought he was a fit for the Colts with one of their second-rounders, so that's another good value, and I'm surprised no other team took a chance on him on Day 2. He has some consistency problems, but you won't find many quarterbacks ever with his physical tools and 6-foot-6 frame. He's raw, but there's no reason he has to play anytime soon. This is a good spot for him. Local kid Danny Pinter (149) is an intriguing developmental tackle for Day 3, and wide receiver Dezmon Patmon (212) is another big, 6-foot-4 pass-catcher with some tools. Isaiah Rodgers (211) has some juice in the return game.

Will this class get Indy back to the playoffs? It's certainly possible. It should challenge for the AFC South title with Tennessee and Houston.

Minnesota Vikings: A-

Top needs:
WR, CB, OT, DL

Minnesota came into Thursday night with 12 picks and ended Saturday night with 15 picks, plus an extra fourth-rounder and two extra fifth-round picks in the 2021 draft. With that much capital, it takes a lot not to get at least an A- grade from me. And really, I like the value the Vikings got throughout, starting with extracting a first-round pick for wide receiver Stefon Diggs, who was disgruntled in Minnesota. General manager Rick Spielman was able to get the No. 22 pick from the Bills, and he was able to directly address the hole at wideout, taking Justin Jefferson, who is a perfect fit. He's going to catch a ton of passes from Kirk Cousins out of the slot.

The Vikings also got a starting cornerback in Jeff Gladney (31), even if he was a little lower on my board. Teams reached for cornerbacks in Round 1, but I can live with this one; we know how much Mike Zimmer likes to mold defensive backs, and Gladney had an early Day 2 grade from me. Offensive tackle Ezra Cleveland (58) has a chance to start immediately. He was Boise State's left tackle this season, and he's an athlete. Cornerback Cameron Dantzler (89) ran slow at the combine, but Minnesota got good value in the third round. And again, let Zimmer get a chance to work with him.

Defensive tackle James Lynch (130) is a high-motor guy with some upside, while end D.J. Wonnum (117) should rotate in as a rookie. Safety Josh Metellus (205) and defensive end Kenny Willekes (225) are good values late in Day 3. It's going to be tough for all 15 of these picks to make the Vikings, but I like the selections in the first two days and the depth on Day 3.

Buffalo Bills: B+

Top needs:
Edge, RB, CB, OT

Buffalo gave up its first-round pick to get 26-year-old wide receiver Stefon Diggs, who should help quarterback Josh Allen. But that means general manager Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott sat back and waited on Day 1.

After the Bills lost their two leading sackers from 2019 (Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson), I thought they should go with a defensive end in Round 2, even after adding veteran Mario Addison in free agency. And that's what they did at No. 54, taking AJ Epenesa, a hulking 275-pounder who fits this scheme. Epenesa was inconsistent at the start of 2019, but he played like a first-rounder down the stretch. I don't know that he'll ever be a consistent double-digit sack guy in the NFL, but he should be a good starter.

Buffalo also added some help in the backfield with running back Zack Moss (86), whom I had at No. 50 on my board. This team has a solid one-two punch with Moss and Devin Singletary. On Day 3, the Bills stopped quarterback Jake Fromm's (167) slide, and it's a decent landing spot for him. Fromm had some supporters within the league, but he faded last season and his accuracy dropped. Is he ever going to be more than a solid backup? It's unclear, but Buffalo will take that in Round 5. It also got my top-ranked kicker in Tyler Bass (188), and cornerback Dane Jackson is good value late in the draft.

We need to count Diggs as a part of this class, and he's the top-tier wideout who will help further evaluate Allen in Year 3. And with two excellent picks on Day 2, the Bills are high on my list.

Cincinnati Bengals: B+

Top needs:
QB, OL, LB, DL, TE

OK, so the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1990, the longest active drought in the NFL. And they haven't drafted a future Pro Bowler at any position since 2013, tied for the longest active drought in the NFL (with the Patriots!). And last year's first-round pick, offensive tackle Jonah Williams, played zero snaps. And they went 2-14. But this team isn't in that bad of shape, and I don't agree that the organizational culture is the issue (sorry, Stephen A.). Cincinnati is in a rut, for sure, but it's trying to get out of it -- that's why it has the No. 1 pick in the draft.

Joe Burrow is the quarterback to help the Bengals move forward. Every team I talked to loved him, and his rise from potential fifth- or sixth-rounder is amazing. He improved so much throughout 2019 that it was clear by the end of the season that he was going to be the top pick. He has the "it" factor, and I can't wait to see what he does in 2020. I also like that coach Zac Taylor & Co. were able to get Burrow some help at the top of Round 2. Wide receiver Tee Higgins (33) caught touchdown passes the past two seasons from Trevor Lawrence, the potential 2021 top pick, and now he'll catch passes from the 2020 No. 1.

Linebackers Logan Wilson (65) and Akeem Davis-Gaither (107) improve one of the league's worst units from a year ago, and Wilson in particular could be a steal. Khalid Kareem (147) had 26 tackles for loss over the past two seasons.

Cincinnati probably isn't going to win many games in 2020, but it's going to be fun to watch. This draft and offseason has set the stage for improvement, and I'm excited to see where it goes next.

Cleveland Browns: B+

Top needs:
OT, S, LB, CB

Cleveland disappointed big time last season, going 6-10, which cost the jobs of most of the coaching staff along with general manager John Dorsey. The expectations for quarterback Baker Mayfield's Year 2 were substantial, and he didn't live up to them, throwing way too many interceptions and never quite jelling with new wideout Odell Beckham Jr. Well, if Mayfield and the Browns' offense don't get going in 2020, it might never happen in Cleveland.

New general manager Andrew Berry spent huge money on a new right tackle (Jack Conklin) and tight end (Austin Hooper) in free agency, and the Browns got their left tackle of the future in Jedrick Wills Jr. at No. 10. He is my top-ranked offensive tackle and No. 7 overall prospect. These tackles are serious upgrades over Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard from last season, and Hooper should get a bunch of targets. Now it's on new coach Kevin Stefanski, who put Kirk Cousins in a great position to succeed in Minnesota.

Cleveland also got some nice players on Day 2. Grant Delpit (44), who at one point I thought might be a top-10 pick, has a chance to start. Jordan Elliott (88) has some juice as an interior penetrator. Jacob Phillips (97) didn't get the pub of his teammates at LSU, but it was him, not first-round pick Patrick Queen, who led the Tigers in tackles. On Day 3, tight end Harrison Bryant (115) caught a ton of passes for Florida Atlantic the past couple of years, and wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones is an upside pick.

Berry also added an extra fifth-round pick by trading down three spots early on Day 2, plus a 2021 third-round pick after the Saints traded up. This is a really solid class, with a couple of starters and intriguing late-round picks.

Dallas Cowboys: B+

Top needs:
DB, DE, WR, C

Jason Garrett, who had been the coach of the Cowboys since 2010, is gone after Dallas went 8-8, but you really can't blame the offense for what went down. Dak Prescott looked like a legitimate superstar. Ezekiel Elliott and Amari Cooper had great seasons. There are still a few stars along the offensive line, even if Travis Frederick has retired. It was the defense that was the big problem; Dallas had seven interceptions, tied for fewest in the NFL.

So I was pleasantly surprised Thursday night when the Cowboys stuck to their draft board and took the best player available, with wide receiver CeeDee Lamb falling into their laps at No. 17. "You can't have enough playmakers," new coach Mike McCarthy said. And I agree. Now Cooper, Lamb and Michael Gallup will form one of the most talented wide receiver corps in the league, and this offense should once again be one of the league's best. The Cowboys have made some upgrades on defense in free agency but still have holes. It's going to be interesting. But credit McCarthy and the Dallas front office for stacking a strength on a strength and deciding to figure out the defense on Day 2.

I wasn't as high on cornerback Trevon Diggs (51), but I'm fine with him in the middle of Round 2. He would have been a reach in the first round, which is where some teams graded him. Neville Gallimore (82) has some potential as a penetrating 1- or 3-technique tackle. Cornerback Reggie Robinson (123) was rocketing up draft boards over the past few weeks, and he was one of the most improved players in the country in 2019. Bradlee Anae (179) is one of my favorite Day 3 picks -- I had him ranked 89th overall and he went 90 spots lower. Dallas also added a potential Frederick replacement in Tyler Biadasz (146).

Again, credit Dallas here for sticking to its board and getting value. If Anae and/or Biadasz develop into starters, this could be an A-plus in a couple of years.

Arizona Cardinals: B

Top needs:
OT, DT, TE, RB, LB

If you looked at the Cardinals' offseason so far, you'd think they went to the playoffs in 2019. They put the franchise tag on running back Kenyan Drake. They spent in free agency to add defensive tackle Jordan Phillips. They traded for a new No. 1 wide receiver in DeAndre Hopkins, giving up a second-round pick and running back David Johnson, who was barely used down the stretch. They haven't lost much of value off their 2019 roster.

The reality, though, is that this team went 5-10-1 in Kliff Kingsbury's first season in charge, and rookie quarterback Kyler Murray was often running for his life. Yes, the offense was fun to watch, but Murray was sacked 48 times, tied for most in the NFL. That's why, when Arizona was on the clock at No. 8, I thought for sure it was going to go with one of the offensive tackles on the board -- there is a huge hole at right tackle right now, and Jedrick Wills Jr., Mekhi Becton and Tristan Wirfs were available.

Instead, general manager Steve Keim chose to go with the best player available, ending Isaiah Simmons' brief fall. As I said Thursday night, I like Simmons, but this was the spot to help Murray (and the run game), and I'm not sure where Simmons fits in the Cardinals' defense. The reason I can't fault it too much is that Keim and Kingsbury did get a starting tackle with their next pick. Offensive tackle Josh Jones (72) is No. 40 overall on my board, and I thought he could sneak into the bottom of Round 1. He was a four-year starter at left tackle in college, but he could move over to the right side in the NFL.

I also liked run-stuffing tackle Leki Fotu (114) and running back Eno Benjamin on Day 3, and of course, I have to factor in the Cardinals getting Hopkins. My only knock on this class is passing on all the tumbling tight ends. That's a hole that wasn't filled. This is a nice class -- though I still don't quite see Arizona as a contender in the NFC West.

Carolina Panthers: B

Top needs:
DL, LB, DB, G/C

With a new coach and a whole lot of roster turnover (longtime starters Cam Newton, Greg Olsen, Trai Turner, Luke Kuechly, Mario Addison and James Bradberry are all gone), the Panthers are in the beginning stages of a serious rebuild. They have their quarterback in Teddy Bridgewater, just gave running back Christian McCaffrey a big extension, and now coach Matt Rhule can start fresh with the way he wants to shape the roster.

That's why it was nice to see Rhule & Co. take the best player available with the team's first three picks. Get talent, don't reach for a need, particularly when you don't have to win immediately. Derrick Brown (7) is the best defensive tackle in this class, and he'll create an outrageously talented interior duo with Kawann Short. He's not Aaron Donald, but he's going to be a really good player for years. Defensive end Yetur Gross-Matos (38) and safety Jeremy Chinn (64) are nice Day 2 picks and potential early starters. Carolina gave up an NFL-worst 5.2 yards per rush last season, and these are picks to get the defense back on track. In fact, it finished with seven draft picks and seven defenders.

Safety Kenny Robinson (152), the first prospect drafted who played in the XFL, just finds the ball, and a year of playing professional football and getting professional coaching means he could be a candidate to play early. Cornerback Troy Pride Jr. (113) is a blazer and solid value pick -- I have him No. 86 in my rankings. Rhule even got one of his former Baylor players with defensive tackle Bravvion Roy (184).

Overall, the Panthers went all-in on their defense and didn't reach. I can get behind that. This is a solid if unspectacular class.

Detroit Lions: B

Top needs:
CB, Edge, DT, G

The Lions' defense was awful last season, and coach Matt Patricia and general manager Bob Quinn are under pressure to win now -- this team has gone 9-22-1 over the past two seasons. Detroit tried to upgrade the defense in free agency with Danny Shelton, Jamie Collins and more additions, but by trading Darius Slay, it opened a void at cornerback. You can make the argument that the team shouldn't have traded Slay, but it happened. And it needed to fix a D that gave up 4,551 passing yards, the most in the league, and also had only seven interceptions, which was tied for fewest in the league.

Top pick Jeff Okudah (3) will fit; he's a physical, athletic man-to-man cover guy who has some swagger and should be the Lions' top corner as a rookie. I know Patricia and Quinn were tempted by defensive tackle Derrick Brown there, but they stuck with their biggest need and got the best cornerback in the class.

On Day 2, Detroit added the best running back in the class with D'Andre Swift (35). This team hasn't had a 1,000-yard rusher since Reggie Bush in 2013, the longest active drought by any team in the NFL, and Kerryon Johnson now has serious competition. Swift will also help in the passing game, and Matthew Stafford should love him. Edge rusher Julian Okwara (67), who is coming off a broken fibula, had 12.5 tackles for loss in 2018 and fits at defensive end here.

The Lions also got my third- and fourth-ranked guards in the class, as Jonah Jackson (75) and Logan Stenberg (121) could be asked to play early. Quintez Cephus (166) got lost a little bit in a deep wide receiver class, but he could be a nice Day 3 find.

Overall, for a coaching staff and front office that needs to win now, the Lions did about the best they could, though this class won't wow you.

Jacksonville Jaguars: B

Top needs:
CB, DL, TE, RB, OL

The Jaguars' front office did its best to squeeze value out of an unhappy Jalen Ramsey last year, netting the No. 20 overall pick in this draft along with the Rams' 2021 first-round pick. The front office is also dealing with another unhappy young star, as pass-rusher Yannick Ngakoue wants out, and could be traded soon. Now, this obviously says something about the organization, but Jacksonville did its best with what it has, with the top two picks filling a need at cornerback and a potential need at edge rusher if Ngakoue leaves.

This team had an underrated Round 1, adding my second-ranked cornerback CJ Henderson (9), and second-ranked edge rusher, K'Lavon Chaisson (20). With Ramsey and former starter A.J. Bouye gone, Henderson has big shoes to fill, but he's super talented, even if he had a down 2019 season.

The Jaguars reached a little bit on Day 2 with wide receiver Laviska Shenault Jr. (42) and defensive tackle Davon Hamilton (73), but you can see the logic behind both moves. Shenault could be a weapon if used right, moving around the formation. If he can become quarterback Gardner Minshew's best friend and get 10 touches a game as a runner or receiver, he could get double-digit touchdowns. Hamilton was outshined by a few others in the Ohio State front seven, but Jacksonville had to fix its run defense.

Offensive lineman Ben Bartch (116) is one of my favorite prospects, and he could play tackle or guard. He dominated at the Division III level. At 6-foot-5, Collin Johnson (165) is one of the biggest receivers in this class, but he's never going to run past defensive backs. He has a role in the NFL, though. Linebacker Shaquille Quarterman (140) started 52 games at Miami and makes up for so-so athleticism with his instincts. Cornerback Josiah Scott (137) is probably going to play slot corner in the NFL.

Jacksonville isn't a playoff team in 2020, no matter whether Minshew proves he's the guy or not. But this is a solid haul as the team looks to get back on solid footing. This stays at a B because the Jaguars should have taken a running back late, particularly with the unrest around Leonard Fournette.

Las Vegas Raiders: B

Top needs:
WR, CB, S, G, Edge

This is a very Raiders draft, right? They reached for the fastest prospect in the class in the first round. They took three wide receivers in their first four picks. And coach Jon Gruden and general manager Mike Mayock took two more Clemson prospects, making that five total over the past two drafts.

They clearly needed help at wide receiver, but I still thought they could take quarterback Jordan Love in Round 1 -- he was on the board for both of their picks. Instead, they're going to try to help incumbent starter Derek Carr as much as possible in 2020. Henry Ruggs III (12) is an underrated route runner, and he can score any time he gets the ball in his hands. And with Carr averaging a league-low 6.2 air yards per attempt last season, expect Ruggs to get a lot of those short targets. I scratched my head a little bit at taking the next two wideouts in Lynn Bowden Jr. (80) and Bryan Edwards (81), even if Gruden and Mayock see Bowden as more of a versatile running back. This team has more needs than wide receiver.

Las Vegas reached a little bit with its other first-round pick -- marking the end of the first-rounders from the Khalil Mack trade -- as cornerback Damon Arnette (19) fills a need position but is lower on my board. He is my sixth-ranked corner, and I had him No. 51 overall, though it's not as big of a reach as Atlanta taking A.J. Terrell at No. 16. Arnette is a fine player, but could Gruden and Mayock have traded down to get him? I heard they had a deal ready and the other team backed out, so I can't fault them too much. I do like Day 3 cornerback Amik Robertson, an instinctive player who had 14 interceptions in college.

The Raiders made offensive weapons a priority, and Carr is now under pressure in Year 3 under Gruden. If he jells with his new receivers and has a big year, he could play his way into a contract extension. If not? Gruden might regret passing on Love -- twice.

Los Angeles Chargers: B

Top needs:
QB, OL, LB, CB

Coach Anthony Lynn and general manager Tom Telesco have said all the right things about the quarterback position since they decided to part ways with Philip Rivers, who started 224 consecutive games for the Chargers from 2006 through 2019. They were happy with Tyrod Taylor, and Taylor was the front-runner to be the 2020 starter. No one really was quite sure whether they would take a quarterback at No. 6. They needed an offensive tackle, but would they really pass on Justin Herbert or Tua Tagovailoa there?

The answer turned out to be no, and the 6-foot-6 Herbert can now become the face of the franchise, though it might not be immediately. After an inconsistent 2019 season, Herbert nailed the pre-draft process, and there were several teams that had him rated above Tagovailoa. He's a big-time physical talent who could flourish in an L.A. offense that already has solid weapons. I'm a fan of what he can do when he gets coached up, and so I like this pick for the long term.

The Chargers also chose to move up in the first round, trading away both of their Day 2 picks to get Kenneth Murray (23), a run-and-hit middle linebacker who should slot right in as the starter. They also added help at running back on Day 3, taking Joshua Kelley (112), who could play the Melvin Gordon role next to Austin Ekeler, who is likely to get more snaps this season. I had down safety Alohi Gilman (186) as more likely to be a special-teams contributor, but he could play in sub packages. K.J. Hill (220) is a dart throw on a potential slot target.

For a team that went 5-11, the Chargers acted like a team that was only two players away from a title on Thursday, but I really like both of their first-rounders. L.A. has some talent on both sides of the ball, and it could challenge in the AFC wild-card race in 2020. There's still a hole at left tackle, but maybe the Chargers can find a veteran free agent to plug in there for a year.
Miami Dolphins: B

Top needs:
QB, OL, DL, RB

With extra first-round selections from the trades of Minkah Fitzpatrick and Laremy Tunsil, the Dolphins came into this draft with three picks on Day 1 and two more in the second round. They had to get their quarterback of the future. I also thought they needed to get their blindside protector for their quarterback, along with help at running back, with those five picks.

That they ended up with Tua Tagovailoa (5) is outstanding. As I wrote on Thursday night, he's an elite talent when he's healthy, but his injury history is worrisome. I said on air Thursday that Miami should try to redshirt him, just to get his body right. It's not as if the Dolphins are going to compete for a playoff spot. Tagovailoa is a pick for the long term, so they should wait it out and make sure he's good to go.

The Dolphins get their quarterback as they take Tua Tagovailoa with the fifth pick.

Miami took its left tackle with its next pick, but Austin Jackson (18) is a little inconsistent for me. I can't get over watching him get beaten by AJ Epenesa when USC played Iowa. He's going to need some time. Cornerback Noah Igbinoghene is also a developmental player, but he has the raw physical tools that make coaches drool. The upside here is that as I mentioned, Miami can afford to take developmental players with priority picks, just because of where it is in its rebuild.

Guard Robert Hunt (39) is going to be an immediate upgrade, and safety Brandon Jones (70) has some versatility as a potential slot defender. I wasn't as high on edge rushers Jason Strowbridge (154) and Curtis Weaver (164), but I don't mind them in Round 5. This is a good class that is going to be remembered for how Tagovailoa ends up, but it could swing to a C or A based on the players picked after the left-handed signal-caller.

New York Giants: B

Top needs:
OT, Edge, DB, WR

Eli Manning is gone, and rookie quarterback Daniel Jones showed flashes of his potential last season, though he has to take care of the football; he fumbled a league-high 18 times and threw 12 interceptions. It's clear that general manager Dave Gettleman and new coach Joe Judge are trying to help their quarterback and star running back Saquon Barkley, with two of their first three picks going to offensive tackles. "We want to fix this offensive line once and for all," Gettleman said on Thursday night.

I would have gone with Jedrick Wills Jr. or Tristan Wirfs at No. 4, but Andrew Thomas fits what Gettleman wants in his hog mollies. Thomas is an experienced, athletic, smart player who doesn't commit penalties. He played left tackle at Georgia but could play right tackle in New York with Nate Solder on the left side. Third-round pick Matt Peart (99) started 48 games for UConn and has the potential to start down the road. There's no question the Giants' offensive line is better now.

I loved the value of safety Xavier McKinney (36) early on Day 2. There were teams looking at him in the 20s, but he lasted until the second round. He's a good fit next to Jabrill Peppers. Darnay Holmes (110) is a really solid slot corner. Guard Shane Lemieux (150) could be a future starter. The Giants had four seventh-round picks, and I'm intrigued by what linebacker Carter Coughlin (218) turns into after he develops more in the NFL.

With a new coach in Judge, I'm not sure what to expect from New York in 2020, but I do think this is a good start to fixing the offensive line issues that Gettleman mentioned, and McKinney has Pro Bowl potential.

New York Jets: B

Top needs:
WR, OL, Edge, CB

The Jets hired a new general manager after the draft last year, so this is Joe Douglas' first time in charge of a draft board, and I thought he had a good first two days, particularly without premium picks. Adam Gase's team had a strong end to 2019, finishing 7-9, which pushed it outside of the top 10 picks. That meant playing the waiting game. And with huge voids along the offensive line and at wide receiver -- Robby Anderson is gone, and the Jets don't have a true top guy -- the Jets got lucky that this class was deep with premium tackles and wideouts.

You can argue about whether they should have gone with a wide receiver at No. 11, but they ended up with offensive tackle Mekhi Becton, a 6-foot-7, 364-pound mountain of a man who should be an instant starter. There aren't many guys that athletic at that size anywhere. Douglas and Gase then addressed the hole at WR in Round 2, and Denzel Mims (59) went 20 spots lower than I had him rated. Can he be the Jets' No. 1 right away? No. But with 4.38 40-yard dash speed and a 6-foot-3 frame, the tools are there long term. Sam Darnold needs Mims to be good.

The Jets traded down twice on Day 2, adding extra picks. I liked safety Ashtyn Davis (68) early in Round 3; the former Pac-12 hurdling champion worked his way from walk-on to starter, and he's a great athlete. Safety doesn't look like a clear hole, but teams always need extra defensive backs in today's NFL. Edge rusher Jabari Zuniga (79) played only six games last season, but he has some upside.

On Day 3, La'Mical Perine (120) was a reach early -- he was my No. 12 running back. James Morgan (125) is an interesting, toolsy quarterback, but the Jets had needs in other spots, and Jake Fromm was still available. I do like offensive tackle Cameron Clark (129), who plays with good technique and whom I called a potential sleeper last week. Braden Mann (191) is my top-ranked punter. The Jets also added a 2021 sixth-round pick when the Patriots traded up on Day 2.

This is a B class because New York was able to get starters at its top two needs early.

Seattle Seahawks: B

Top needs:
Edge, OL, WR, DT

The Seahawks were 11-5 last season, but they won a whopping 10 one-score games, and they were carried by their offense, a stark difference from previous years of Pete Carroll's tenure with the team. Even with Jadeveon Clowney, they struggled to get to quarterbacks as the defense ranked 30th in pressure rate. First-round pick L.J. Collier barely played. They needed some help in the front seven in this draft.

So it should be no surprise that they went defense with their first two picks, taking inside linebacker Jordyn Brooks (27) in Round 1 and defensive end Darrell Taylor (48) in Round 2. Brooks really popped on the Texas Tech tape, and I had him No. 32 overall in my rankings. Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright aren't on rookie contracts anymore, so I like the pick to get a young sideline-to-sideline defender and tackling machine. As for Taylor, I thought this was a reach, but he has some solid bend off the edge. He was a late riser on many teams' boards and had surgery on a stress fracture in his shin in January. He certainly fits the Seahawks' type, though, as I wrote on Friday night.

Damien Lewis (69) should compete at one of the guard spots, and DeeJay Dallas (144) is an intriguing running back prospect and a solid Day 3 pick. I could see him cutting into Rashaad Penny's snaps. Alton Robinson (148) is an up-and-down edge rusher. Tight end Colby Parkinson (133) underachieved, but at 6-foot-7 he has intriguing physical attributes.

I'll stick with the same grade I gave the Seahawks last year, though I like their first pick more than I did in 2019.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: B

Top needs:
OT, RB, Edge, DT

If you look at the Bucs' depth chart, it's remarkably similar to the 2019 team. They have had very little turnover ... except for two massive additions at quarterback and tight end. So for a 7-9 team that thinks it is now a Super Bowl contender, the draft was extremely important. General manager Jason Licht and coach Bruce Arians needed to find instant-impact players with their first two picks. The result? Two prospects I really like, one who will help protect Tom Brady (and allow Rob Gronkowski to run a few more routes) and another who could be a Swiss Army knife in the secondary.

Tampa traded up one spot to make sure it got offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs (13) -- it had to throw in a fourth-rounder to move -- and I love the fit. Wirfs played both left and right tackle at Iowa, and I expect him to have a long career. This was the biggest hole on the roster, and don't forget that Brady, who turns 43 in August, really struggled under pressure last season, completing just 32% of his passes under duress, which ranked 30th in the NFL. Safety Antoine Winfield Jr. (45) is only 5-foot-9, but he just makes plays. Defensive coordinator Todd Bowles can use him as a deep safety, as a slot corner or even down closer to the line of scrimmage.

I had running back as a need for the Bucs, and they picked up Ke'Shawn Vaughn (76), but I liked Zack Moss more. Tyler Johnson (161) is an inconsistent wide receiver, and I don't see how he helps them anytime soon.

The Bucs have missed the playoffs in 12 consecutive seasons, the second-longest active drought in the NFL. They didn't have much depth here, but they got two good players at the top.

Los Angeles Rams: B-

Top needs:
OL, RB, DL

Todd Gurley and Brandin Cooks are gone from the Rams' offense. On defense, Dante Fowler, Cory Littleton, Clay Matthews, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Eric Weddle and even defensive coordinator Wade Phillips are elsewhere. L.A. went 9-7, but this team is going to look very different in 2020, and coach Sean McVay even brought in an offensive coordinator in Kevin O'Connell.

The Rams' cap issues are well known at this point, and they had to clear space for a looming mega contract extension for cornerback Jalen Ramsey and get younger (and cheaper) at other positions. And they had to do it without a first-round pick, which they gave up to get Ramsey (and still owe another in 2021). That means they have to hit on their Day 2 picks, of which they had two extras, thanks to the Cooks trade with Houston and a comp pick.

Running back Cam Akers (52) got very little help from his offensive line at Florida State, but he has big-play ability. Yes, Gurley is gone, but the Rams spent a Day 2 pick on Darrell Henderson just last year. That's a strong, young tandem, but this team has a bigger need along the O-line. Wide receiver Van Jefferson (57) is one of the best route runners in this class; he just knows how to get open. Edge rusher Terrell Lewis (84) had some injury issues, but he's a good fit in this 3-4 defense. Safety Terrell Burgess (104) is a converted wide receiver and cornerback who could play alongside Taylor Rapp in the secondary.

I didn't have high grades on any of L.A.'s Day 3 picks, and I'm pretty surprised the Rams took only one offensive lineman late, particularly with a 38-year-old starting left tackle. That seems like a clear miss here, even if I'm a fan of the first three picks.

Philadelphia Eagles: B-

Top needs:
WR, DB, LB, G/C

So what do you want to talk about with this Eagles class? The Day 3 guys? OK, fine, let's talk through the Jalen Hurts (53) pick some more. I wrote about it on Friday night, including it among my head-scratching picks, and I want to give a couple of more stats to back that up, with some help from my friends at ESPN Stats & Information. The first:

• The Eagles have made the playoffs three consecutive seasons. Carson Wentz has thrown a total of four passes in the playoffs.
Health is a big issue for Wentz. He hasn't been able to stay on the field, and the Eagles are covering their bases in taking a quarterback in Round 2. Hurts could legitimately get a start or two in 2020. At the same time, though ...

• According to NFL Next Gen Stats data, the Saints ran 206 plays last season with at least two quarterbacks on the field. The rest of the NFL ran 10 combined.
That's why it's not realistic to think that Hurts is going be used as some sort of Taysom Hill-type weapon on offense, at least on a consistent basis. Hurts isn't the same kind of athlete. He's a quarterback with running skills, but he's not going to play receiver. He's not going to cover kicks.

Ultimately that's why I can like the range in which Hurts was selected but not like the fit in Philadelphia, which just gave Wentz a huge contract extension. This isn't even close to the same as what the Packers did in drafting Jordan Love to learn from Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers is 36 and declining; Wentz is 27 and should be ascending. And yes, the Eagles are a contender in the NFC East, but they're not without roster holes. There were defensive backs on the board who could have helped right away. I would love to see Doug Pederson get Hurts involved on run-pass options a few snaps per game, and he's creative enough to do it, but Wentz is still the guy.

The Eagles make an intriguing pick in former Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts, and the Hurts family shows its excitement.

In non-Hurts Eagles picks, they did get some help for Wentz in Round 1 with Jalen Reagor (21), an explosive receiver whom some teams coveted in the first round and others saw as more of a mid-second-rounder. I had him at No. 41 overall on my Big Board. Wide receiver was a clear need, so they must expect him to contribute early and often. They also traded with the 49ers to take a flier on veteran wideout Marquise Goodwin on the cheap.

Linebacker Davion Taylor (103) is extremely raw and built like a safety, but he has some potential. John Hightower (168) isn't consistent on film, but he has some fans inside the league. Offensive tackle Prince Tega Wanogho (210) and defensive end Casey Toohill (233) are solid Day 3 dart throws.

This Philadelphia class is going to be remembered for Hurts, but if Reagor develops into a star and Wentz gets healthy, we might never see the former Oklahoma and Alabama quarterback at his full potential in Pederson's offense.

Pittsburgh Steelers: B-

Top needs:
RB, CB, QB, DL

The Steelers haven't had a losing season in any of the 13 years that Mike Tomlin has been in charge, but they have missed the playoffs two years in a row. You can chalk up 2019 to losing Ben Roethlisberger early and some resulting poor quarterback play, but this organization isn't used to staying home in January. And really, they have a playoff-caliber defense already; if Roethlisberger is back to full strength, they should challenge the Ravens in the AFC North. And after they traded their first-round pick for safety Minkah Fitzpatrick in September -- he looked to be worth it; he was named first-team All-Pro -- they didn't have a pick until the middle of the second round in this draft.

I would have loved to have seen Pittsburgh take Jalen Hurts to sit behind the 38-year-old Roethlisberger and take over in a couple of years, but it went the opposite route of the Packers and drafted a wide receiver to help Big Ben and the offense. Chase Claypool (49) is a 6-foot-4 physical specimen who was inconsistent at Notre Dame, but he has some slot experience, and there were a few teams that thought he'd move permanently to tight end. I don't see that in Pittsburgh, which brought in Eric Ebron in free agency, but Claypool has the speed and physicality to move around the offense. He's just a little enigmatic for my taste.

Outside linebacker Alex Highsmith (102) is a great fit as an outside linebacker in the Steelers' 3-4 defense, and they even took two Maryland guys in running back Anthony McFarland Jr. (124) and safety Antoine Brooks Jr. (198). McFarland has some durability issues but stellar straight-line speed, and he'll fit a need if he can stay on the field.

All in all, Fitzpatrick saves this class from a C.

San Francisco 49ers: B-

Top needs:
CB, WR, OL, DT

With just five selections, this 49ers class is difficult to evaluate. But for a team that played in the Super Bowl and has mostly kept its team intact, apart from trading defensive tackle DeForest Buckner for a first-round pick and losing wideout Emmanuel Sanders in free agency, it does have two defined needs. Credit general manager John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan for doing all they could to fill those needs on Day 1.

San Francisco scooped up interior penetrator Javon Kinlaw (14), and he'll be a Buckner fill-in. He's cheaper than Buckner, of course, but does he have Buckner's ceiling? Then the 49ers traded into the 25th pick to get wideout Brandon Aiyuk, a fantastic athlete who dominated in the Pac-12 last season. Shanahan is already fired up about how he'll use Aiyuk, and quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo will love him.

After that, though? I don't see much. Offensive tackle Colton McKivitz (153), tight end Charlie Woerner (190) and wide receiver Jauan Jennings (217) are all NFL backups. What keeps this in the B range is that the 49ers were able to use picks to get left tackle Trent Williams in a trade with Washington, and it cost them only a fifth-rounder this year and next year's third-rounder.

Chicago Bears: C+

Top needs:
WR, OT, TE, CB

I'll admit, this one is tough for me. How do we grade the draft for a team that has no picks in Rounds 1, 3 or 4? Luckily it had an extra second-rounder from the Khalil Mack trade. And it gets credit for using one of those picks on quarterback Nick Foles, even if the Bears have to eat his hefty contract.

The Bears are trying to win now, bringing in Foles and veterans Jimmy Graham and Robert Quinn. But do they have the roster to win now? How good is this team really? Coming off an 8-8 season and big-time regression from former No. 2 overall pick Mitchell Trubisky, the Chicago defense still has a ton of talent. If the quarterback doesn't turn the ball over, it could try to ride the defense to the playoffs again, but the NFC North is really tough, and Foles and Trubisky haven't shown that they can consistently play at more than an average level.

So with limited draft capital, I do like the two second-round picks. Cole Kmet (43) is the clear best tight end in this class, and he will help Foles or Trubisky in the passing game and has the potential to develop into a solid blocker in the run game. Yes, the Bears brought in Graham, but they had zero tight ends gain 100 yards last season. And I thought cornerback Jaylon Johnson (50) had a chance to be picked at the end of Round 1, but a shoulder injury hampered his 2019 season and hurt his evaluations. Still, this could be two starters for Chicago.

After that, Trevis Gipson (155) is a part-time outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, and the Bears reached way down the board at the end of Day 3. So this is another case of two decent players by value on my board, but little else after that.

Denver Broncos: C+

Top needs:
WR, OT, CB, DL, LB

All along, I leaned wide receiver for the Broncos at No. 15. It just made too much sense to get some help on the other side of Courtland Sutton, who had a breakout 2019 season, accounting for 33% of the Broncos' receiving yards. And if Denver is all-in on giving the reins to second-year quarterback Drew Lock, it needs to give him more weapons to get a fuller evaluation. That's why one of my favorite picks was Jerry Jeudy falling into the laps of the Broncos at No. 15. He is my top-ranked wideout, a big-play machine, a smooth route runner and a plug-and-play starter. He's exactly what this team needs.

My problem with this class is what happens afterward. The Broncos added another wideout with their second-round pick: KJ Hamler (46), a 5-foot-9 speedster who has gotten compared to DeSean Jackson. I like Hamler, and he could serve a role as the third wideout here, but he has a high range of boom-or-bust possibilities. I probably would have gone with an offensive tackle -- I had an early second-round grade on Josh Jones, who was available -- but again, this is about Lock and making sure he has tools to help him succeed.

With three third-round picks, Denver also added help at cornerback (Michael Ojemudia, 77), interior offensive line (Lloyd Cushenberry III, 83) and defensive tackle (McTelvin Agim, 95). None is a clear starter as a rookie, but they're going to compete. Agim, in particular, has a higher ceiling than most Day 2 DTs, but this is high on my board. The Broncos added Lock's former teammate in tight end Albert Okwuegbunam (118), but his tape was poor last season. Guard Netane Muti (181) is powerful, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy.

This class has too much bust potential for my liking, with Ojemudia, Hamler and Okwuegbunam as low-floor prospects. So while I love the Jeudy fit in Round 1, I'm going to knock the rest.

Houston Texans: C+

Top needs:
CB, WR, OL, Edge

Bill O'Brien has been aggressive with trades in his short time in charge of the front office. Two first-round picks to Miami to get Laremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills. DeAndre Hopkins to the Cardinals for a second-round pick and David Johnson. A second-round pick to the Rams for Brandin Cooks. And that's not all. But that left the Texans' 2020 draft stock depleted, and that's tough, particularly for a defense that declined noticeably in 2019. Houston could have used one of the defensive backs on the board at No. 26.

As for what the Texans got this weekend, Ross Blacklock (40) is a defensive tackle whom Todd McShay really liked, but there were mixed opinions around the league. He played as a nose tackle often for TCU, but he has some pass-rush ability. Could he could slide out to end in this 3-4 defense and get after passers, or is he going to be a nose tackle? At the very least, he's going to be stout against the run.

Outside linebacker Jonathan Greenard (90) had 9.5 sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss last season, but he didn't crack my top 100. Isaiah Coulter (171) is a 6-foot-2 wide receiver who was at his best against good competition. I had a fourth-round grade on him, and he lasted until the end of Round 5.

This isn't a special class, and you have to factor in O'Brien's worth on trades as well, which is why it gets a C-plus from me.

Kansas City Chiefs: C+

Top needs:
CB, RB, G/C, DL

The Super Bowl champs entered this draft with only five picks, tied for the fewest in the NFL, and haven't had much turnover this offseason. Kendall Fuller, Emmanuel Ogbah and Reggie Ragland are gone from the defense, but the stellar offense is almost entirely intact for another run. So while cornerback could have been addressed at the final pick in Round 1, I have predicted the Chiefs would take the first running back off the board there for the past few weeks. It made too much sense to get Patrick Mahomes another premier playmaker. And it turns out I just went with the wrong back.

Kansas City clearly liked Clyde Edwards-Helaire (32) over the other backs in this class, and I had the top four all rated within 20 spots on my Big Board. The 5-foot-7 Edwards-Helaire, the first back taken by the Chiefs in Round 1 since Larry Johnson in 2003, is a weapon in the passing game (he had 55 catches last season) and a powerful runner. He's a perfect fit for Andy Reid's offense, which will be scary again in 2020.

Linebacker Willie Gay Jr. (63) is a stellar athlete with some positional flexibility, but he had some off-field issues in college that caused him to drop. Could he be Kansas City's starting middle linebacker, or will he be forced outside? Developmental offensive tackle Lucas Niang (96) had a hip injury that cut short his 2019 season, but I know there were some scouts who saw him as a potential starter in a couple of years. Kansas City took two defensive backs on Day 3, but I wasn't particularly high on either and I'm surprised it didn't take a corner earlier than the seventh round.

Edwards-Helaire is going to get a lot of snaps as a rookie, but I don't see early contributors after that.

New England Patriots: C+

Top needs:
QB, TE, LB, WR, OL

It's a new era in New England, and it's not just Tom Brady who is no longer on the roster. The defense, which carried the Patriots last season, has seen Danny Shelton, Kyle Van Noy, Jamie Collins, Elandon Roberts and Duron Harmon all leave. This roster is more depleted than I can remember. Bill Belichick loves a challenge, of course, and had 12 picks entering the draft, including three in Round 3, to try to fill some holes. So what did Belichick do with the No. 23 pick on Thursday night? He traded back.

Yes, the Patriots picked up the second-round pick they lost when they traded for Mohamed Sanu at midseason, as the Chargers traded their second- and third-rounders to get back into Round 1. Then the Pats loaded up on Day 2 picks, taking safety Kyle Dugger (37), linebackers Josh Uche (60) and Anfernee Jennings (87) and tight ends Devin Asiasi (91) and Dalton Keene (101). Dugger dominated at the Division II level, then ran a 4.49 40-yard dash at the combine. He could be a versatile player for the New England defense. Uche and Jennings have some edge rushing upside. I was lower on the tight ends -- I wrote about it after Day 2 -- but it is a clear need area with the offense struggling sans Gronk in 2019. I just had better ones available in my rankings.

My biggest issue with this class is no quarterback; the Patriots passed on Jalen Hurts, Jacob Eason and Jake Fromm throughout. I'm not sold that 2019 fourth-rounder Jarrett Stidham should be the unquestioned starter. I could look silly in a couple of weeks when the Pats trade for Andy Dalton or sign Cam Newton, but this is a whiff for me.

New Orleans Saints: C+

Top needs:
CB, LB, WR, Edge, QB

The Saints treat drafts differently than every other team. Not worse, just differently. They're totally fine trading future picks to move up to get the guy they want. They did it for Alvin Kamara a few years ago, dealing a 2018 second-round pick to get into the third round in 2017. They did it in 2018, too, trading a 2019 first-rounder to get pass-rusher Marcus Davenport in the top half of Round 1. And they entered this draft with only five picks, tied for fewest in the league, because of other trades. How did they fare? Well, they ended up with only four total picks because of more maneuvering.

I'm high on center Cesar Ruiz (24), whom I ranked as the clear top interior offensive lineman in this class, and he has some experience at guard. He could end up there with last year's second-round pick, Erik McCoy, playing so well at center as a rookie. One thing that bothers shorter quarterbacks like Drew Brees is interior pressure, and New Orleans is trying to shore that up as it goes all-in for 2020. I have other needs higher for the Saints -- particularly wide receiver -- but I do like Ruiz.

The Saints used trades for their other three picks, including adding next year's third-rounder, to move up to get outside linebacker Zack Baun (74) and tight end Adam Trautman (105). Baun is an interesting fit in Dennis Allen's defense; is he a defensive end or a versatile linebacker? I thought he'd be great as an OLB in a 3-4. Either way, it's good value for Baun, who is my No. 31 overall player. The 6-foot-5 Trautman, my second-ranked tight end, caught 70 passes last season and is really just a jumbo wide receiver at this point, but that could be useful in Sean Payton's offense.

It appears the Saints will try to use quarterback Tommy Stevens (240) in some sort of Taysom Hill role, but he is my 18th-ranked quarterback. I'll believe he gets on the field when I see it. New Orleans tried for quality over quantity here, but it's tough for a class with four picks to break into the B range.

Tennessee Titans: C+

Top needs:
Edge, CB, DT, OT, RB

The Titans made a surprise run to the AFC title game last season, taking down the Patriots and Ravens on the way, and they did it with an efficient quarterback, bruising running game and steady but unspectacular defense. Well, their first-round pick is clearly designed to continue that offensive trend in 2020. Offensive tackle Isaiah Wilson (29) was a little bit of a reach, but I see the traits that put him at the end of Round 1, even if I question whether he could start right away over Dennis Kelly and replace Jack Conklin at right tackle. At 6-foot-6, 350 pounds, Wilson is a project, and he needs to clean up his technique, but that could come with NFL coaching.

Opinions on cornerback Kristian Fulton (61) were all over the map inside the league, but it's decent value getting him at the end of Round 2. He is my eighth-ranked corner, just after A.J. Terrell, who went No. 16 overall. It's a little risky, though, just because of his inconsistencies. Darrynton Evans (93) opened up some eyes at the combine with a 4.41 40-yard dash, and he could be the favorite to spell Derrick Henry as the No. 2 running back. On Day 3, Larrell Murchison (174) is just a rotational defensive tackle, and quarterback Cole McDonald (224) has a loooong delivery and will need time to fix that and adjust to the speed of the NFL. But he could be a decent backup.

I was surprised the Titans didn't take an edge rusher, and Wilson was a reach on my board.

Washington ********: C+

Top needs:
Edge, OT, TE, WR

With a new coach (and 3-13 season) comes roster turnover, and Ron Rivera has worked hard this offseason to bring in veterans to help the team on both sides of the ball. And with no second-round pick after the old regime traded back into Round 1 last year to take Montez Sweat, Rivera & Co. were left with only the No. 2 overall pick in the first two rounds.

So you shouldn't be surprised when I say I like that Washington got my top-ranked overall prospect in edge rusher Chase Young, one of the most NFL-ready pass-rushers to come out of college in the past decade. Yes, this team has now drafted a defensive lineman in the first round in each of the past four years (Young, Sweat, Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen), but it couldn't afford to pass on Young, who has All-Pro talent. Rivera is a defensive coach, and he has a really good front seven to build around. "It would have been very, very hard to convince me that somebody else would be as impactful as the guy that we drafted," Rivera said on Thursday night. I agree, though really Young fell into their laps.

The ******** also got an interesting running back/wide receiver prospect with Antonio Gibson (66), who caught 44 passes and also averaged 11.2 yards per carry on 33 rushes last season. A smart playcaller will get him 10 touches a game. Antonio Gandy-Golden (142) is a 6-foot-4 raw wideout with a massive 77-inch wingspan. He attacks the ball in the air, though he'll need some time to develop. Saahdiq Charles (108) looks like a starting-caliber NFL offensive tackle, but the tape didn't match his talent.

Young was a bit of a gimme pick at No. 2, and without a second-rounder I'll stick with a C-plus for Washington.

Atlanta Falcons: C

Top needs:
CB, Edge, RB, DT

The pick that stunned me the most on Day 1 was Atlanta taking cornerback A.J. Terrell at No. 16. It's one of the biggest reaches of the past few years. Think of it this way: At No. 16, many teams can get a top-10 player on their own board. The Cowboys did that at No. 17 with CeeDee Lamb. Instead, Atlanta forced a pick for a position of need. Sorry, Falcons, but you're not a cornerback away from the Super Bowl.

I have said for the past few weeks that there were likely to be a couple of Round 1 reaches for cornerbacks; it's a priority position, there was a drop-off after the top two guys, and teams want to make sure they get their guy. But Terrell was the No. 7 corner on my board (No. 61 prospect overall), and Noah Igbinoghene, Jeff Gladney and Jaylon Johnson were still available. Those are all better prospects than Terrell. This is just way too high.

Marlon Davidson (47) is a solid pick, and he could move inside to defensive tackle, and interior offensive lineman Matt Hennessy has some versatility. Linebacker Mykal Walker (119) went almost 100 spots before I had him in my rankings.

This comes down to a big-time reach in Round 1, and I just don't see Terrell as worth it.

Green Bay Packers: C

Top needs:
WR, TE, OL, LB, DL

I didn't expect the Packers to take a quarterback in Round 1. I don't think many did. But I applaud the team's long-term thinking here, as I wrote Thursday night. Aaron Rodgers is 36 and isn't going to be around much longer. Why not go and make sure you have a contingency plan for after he's gone? Matt LaFleur was enamored with Jordan Love (26), and now the young coach gets a young signal-caller to groom. Love also gets the stability he really needs to thrive. He played for three different offensive coordinators in college, and he needs to be coached up. He has elite potential but needs time, and he should be able to get that time with Rodgers still around.

What I do have a problem with is Green Bay not getting a wide receiver on Day 2. In an extremely deep wide receiver class, how can you not take one? Rodgers has a reason to be upset about that. Instead, the Packers went with running back AJ Dillon (62) and tight end/H-back Josiah Deguara (94). Though Dillon is OK, this team has Aaron Jones as its main back; how many snaps per game is Dillon going to play? As for Deguara, I had a late fourth-round grade on him, and I don't see him as an impact pass-catcher in 2020.

Green Bay also gave up its fourth-round pick in the move to get Love, so it didn't have much capital to get help on Day 3, and I don't love any of these late picks. Packers fans are probably not happy with this class, and I can see why.

Let's look back on this group in a couple of years and see where Love and Rodgers are; this is a tough class to grade at the moment. But I'm just left shaking my head with the Packers adding only Devin Funchess at wide receiver this offseason. Really? You just made the NFC Championship Game. I don't get it.

I was surprised the rams didnt grab an O lineman until the last pick but I guess they like what they saw towards the end of the season with some stability in the lineup. Cautiously optimistic with that group. These kickers better pan out, Greg the Leg was a damn treasure.

Last edited:
Being quarantined with Cutler sounds like a nightmare. He was probably *****ing about any little thing.

I remember reading a week or two ago how Cutler and her were stuck together with their kids and her hairdresser for like a month straight in I think Turks and Caicos :lol: that trip must have really did them in

Alright after looking at the Jets depth chart I’m gonna have to say they’re my top contender next to the Jags to get the top pick in next year’s draft. The Skins offense looks atrocious but their defense looks like it has potential. They may be in the mix for that top spot as well though being that I think Dwayne Haskins is probably the worst starting QB in the league. The Giants and Panthers are both gonna have awful defenses but their offenses should be able to put up some points. They may be right after the Skins, Jags and Jets.

I have no idea what the Jets are doing with Leveon on that roster with the amount of money he’s making along with the fact Gase didn’t even want the guy. They need to figure something out with him cause no parties involved are gonna be happy this year with him not being able to find any space once again and them losing a ton of games again.

Alright after looking at the Jets depth chart I’m gonna have to say they’re my top contender next to the Jags to get the top pick in next year’s draft. The Skins offense looks atrocious but their defense looks like it has potential. They may be in the mix for that top spot as well though being that I think Dwayne Haskins is probably the worst starting QB in the league. The Giants and Panthers are both gonna have awful defenses but their offenses should be able to put up some points. They may be right after the Skins, Jags and Jets.

I have no idea what the Jets are doing with Leveon on that roster with the amount of money he’s making along with the fact Gase didn’t even want the guy. They need to figure something out with him cause no parties involved are gonna be happy this year with him not being able to find any space once again and them losing a ton of games again.

I just really can't entertain this slander. I want to, but I refuse.

Not saying we are going to win the East but the fact that you say the Skins defense looks like it has potential and fail to mention the strength being the Jets defense.....

I'll just go ahead and say it.

Washingtons team has the making of an elite defense.

The only thing holding them back is the fact that they are gonna have to be on the field all the time.

Being quarantined with Cutler sounds like a nightmare. He was probably *****ing about any little thing.

My gf watches their reality show & said yesterday how this past season it was nothing but a love fest for Jay from the wife. Wonder what happened the last few months.

History about to re-write Bill Polian quickly

Polian is losing his marbles amd has been FOR A WHILE. When I listen to him on NFL radio he mumbles a lot and gets tripped up. Even when he was with the Colts, his son Chris was running the show for the last 5 years, not him. To me it seems like he watches a highlight reel for a couple mins and then goes and forms an opinion on a player without really studying him. He's embarassed himself a few times (above) and with Lamar in recent history. He should just go away at this point and retire fully.

He was great back in the day but the game has passed him by.

I just really can't entertain this slander. I want to, but I refuse.

Not saying we are going to win the East but the fact that you say the Skins defense looks like it has potential and fail to mention the strength being the Jets defense.....

I mean are we serious here...?

Quinnen Williams, for as lovable of a personality he is, wasn’t very great last year. The rest of your defense outside of Jamal Adams (who doesn’t wanna be there) and CJ Mosley (coming off groin surgery, basically didn’t play all last year) your starting defense consists of Steve McLendon, Harvey Langi, Henry Anderson, Blake Cashman, Jordan Jenkins, Arthur Maulette, Brian Poole (who the **** even are any of these dudes?), Pierre Desir (Colts, a probable playoff team, released him exactly a year after they gave him a 3 year extension) and Marcus Maye, who’s been mediocre at best.

The Skins defense has Chase Young, Ryan Kerrigan, Montez Sweat, Jonathan Allen and Thomas Davis in its front 7. That basically cancels out any argument of your defense being better than theirs.

Like I said though, I think both teams are gonna be bad this year. So I’m definitely not trying to hype up any part of the Skins. Their offense should be awful and probably will keep their D on the field way too often.

I mean are we serious here...?

Quinnen Williams, for as lovable of a personality he is, wasn’t very great last year. The rest of your defense outside of Jamal Adams (who doesn’t wanna be there) and CJ Mosley (coming off groin surgery, basically didn’t play all last year) your starting defense consists of Steve McLendon, Harvey Langi, Henry Anderson, Blake Cashman, Jordan Jenkins, Arthur Maulette, Brian Poole (who the **** even are any of these dudes?), Pierre Desir (Colts, a probable playoff team, released him exactly a year after they gave him a 3 year extension) and Marcus Maye, who’s been mediocre at best.

The Skins defense has Chase Young, Ryan Kerrigan, Montez Sweat, Jonathan Allen and Thomas Davis in its front 7. That basically cancels out any argument of your defense being better than theirs.

Like I said though, I think both teams are gonna be bad this year. So I’m definitely not trying to hype up any part of the Skins. Their offense should be awful and probably will keep their D on the field way too often.

You must have not watched a lick of Jets defense last year, especially down the stretch. Gregg put in work with the "no names" you mentioned.

You don't know who Jordan Jenkins & Brian Poole are? Gotcha...

Jamal has openly said he wants to be a Jet for life. Just wants to be paid accordingly (and deserves it). Where has he said at all he wants out?

Quinnen was disappointing, yes.

Washington has a nice front 4, but a lot of questions beyond that and Thomas Davis is 37 and going into year 15

Also speaks volumes that Matt loannidis wasnt named within those front 4 guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom