THE OFFICIAL 2023 DALLAS COWBOYS OFF-SEASON THREAD || Cowboys Gonna Cowboy

A solid pass rush and we beat greenbay. Think of how many times somebody got a hand on Rodgers one legged self but he just side stepped them and threw a dart.. Forget about Dez catch, we couldn't touch Rodgers outside of minceys beastly first half.

We need some disruptive guys up front man. To make it easier on them bums in the secondary.

Marinelli did a good job of getting something outta nothing last year, so I'm excited to see what he can do with some real talent up front.

A solid pass rush and we beat greenbay. Think of how many times somebody got a hand on Rodgers one legged self but he just side stepped them and threw a dart.. Forget about Dez catch, we couldn't touch Rodgers outside of minceys beastly first half.

We need some disruptive guys up front man. To make it easier on them bums in the secondary.

Marinelli did a good job of getting something outta nothing last year, so I'm excited to see what he can do with some real talent up front.

All of this. I still can't believe we didn't bring down Rodgers considering he was freakin hobbling the entire game. :smh:

our safeties are not fast, especially Wilcox, so we can't even catch a Desean Jackson type receiver, so we need some pressure up front since we have a less than mediocre secondary. Maybe Claiborne will surprise us and step up since he knows that the media is calling him a bust.

Mike Fisher broke down what Romo's restructure means.

1. Cowboys have $2mil in space presently
2. Greg Hardy might cost Cowboys $9mil. Need to prep for that
3. McClain might cost $2.5mil
4. Draftees = $2mil needed for Cowboys
5. Working Capital = $3mil (Cowboys want more for signing FA in Summer)

Total Cap needed right now ($9 + 2 + 2.5 + 3)= $16.5mil
Have $2mil in cap space.

Romo restructure is $12.8mil

$12.8 + $2mil = $14.8mil

Last edited:
Aside from Carr, everyone else did better than the previous years. We don't have any All Pro's or even Pro Bowlers back there, I'm not saying they're elite.
Hardy might or might not be suspended. You get a solid DT that pushes up the middle, open lanes for our DE's. Crawford is great at DT, Lawrence will produce at DE, Mincey is serviceable. Plug in some role players, & we have a good rotation.
I don't know that stats, but the Cowboys are one of the least blitzing teams in the NFL. For good reason, our cover guys get burned, & zone coverage blitzes always become a busted play. If we dropped just one LB into a blitz we would create more pressure. Rob Ryan use to blitz the ish' out of our defense only for us to see them get burned. Rod, doesn't blitz a quarter of that.
You have to find harmony, & do it just in between.

Last edited:
At the end of they day, I trust this team's Draft Strategy.
We got a great O-Line.
We've been able to find players in the later part of the drafts lately.
I just put my 2 cents in, I'll agree to disagree with any Cowboys fan.
We all root for the same team, I know we want certain players but that's not how we do things.
We draft, & plug them in.
Less than 4 weeks away from the draft.
Whoever they get, it will be the best player left on their board.

Last edited:
Cowboys add Brit footballer Efe Obada to roster.
Obada, 6-foot-6, 255 pounds DE.
Not too bad seeing how the Vikings did something similar. Maybe he'll adjust after year one.

I thought we didn't want romo we doing his deal because it mess up the cap in the future?

We didn't now he needs to play for three years at least, then we still have 11 mil in dead money the final two years when we could have gotten out of that deal after two years with no dead money

i agree with everything you said, but want to add that the offense stayin on the field with Murray helped the D tremendously.

I think Carr is gone, the more I think about it. Unless he takes a paycut.

They'll go with Scandrick on the Primary Target, Claiborne on the weak side, Corey White on the Slot receiver. And draft someone in the 3rd or 4th.

It's a really bold move, and could be really dangerous. But I think they'll see that $8mil saved on Carr as necessary to fill in a lot of depth on defense.

Last edited:
Some fans are definitely forgetting how much pressure Murray took off our defense.

Addressing that secondary is a must, especially if they cut Carr. Again, we don't need a big name, but we definitely need someone who can come in and play right away.

Can't depend on a pass rush every play when we all know Claiborne is one pinky toe injury away from ending his career :smh:

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident Carr will take a Free like pay cut.
If the Cowboys are willing to let Ware, Murray, etc... leave then it's best you don't call their bluff because they'll cut you off this team. It's not like teams are going to have all this cap space to sign him.
After wave 1, 2, & NFL Draft teams are now trying to save some money for the rest of the season in case of injuries or trade deadline. Even with his pay cut he'll make a little more than other teams would offer. No state tax + doesn't have to go and get settled else where. Maybe money talks, I'm sure the only teams who have money aren't making it to the playoffs this season just saying.

I think Carr is gone, the more I think about it. Unless he takes a paycut.

They'll go with Scandrick on the Primary Target, Claiborne on the weak side, Corey White on the Slot receiver. And draft someone in the 3rd or 4th.

It's a really bold move, and could be really dangerous. But I think they'll see that $8mil saved on Carr as necessary to fill in a lot of depth on defense.

If the board falls the right way they probably should take one in the 1st. look at the roster after this year only cb's still on the roster are Patmon and Scandrick

Edit: Claiborne won't even be ready at the start of the season

Last edited:
You never know how teams are going to turn out, but if we make it through Nov. 8th, that 2nd half doesn't look too tough.

Need to see how many games Hardy is suspended for. First five games pass defense and rush will definitely be tested

Going to need that pass rush on NE, Brady with time oh lord. 

Carolina on Thanksgiving. Weird. My favorite holiday need dallas to win to make it that MUCH sweeter. 

Greenbay matchup. leading up to that week, ESPN is gonna keep replaying that Dez Catch. 

The first time in a long time December isn't grueling... Things could and will change between now and then.. But on the surface it seems favorable...

I'm torn on which game to attend this year... narrowed it down to the patriots or the Miami game..

You never know how teams are going to turn out, but if we make it through Nov. 8th, that 2nd half doesn't look too tough.

This.

Our second half schedule isn't too bad especially of you consider the high probability of the following happening:

Greenbay possibly locking up the division already
Jets vying for the #1 pick
Diplomats

That Bills game is actually being ignored at how difficult it is. Nfc teams just don't win in buffalo.

Last edited:
saints/boyz 

once again a week 4 primetime game.. 

same as last year, only thing changed is the location.

Starting late as hell, but have a couple of days to do Draft stuff like I did last year.

RB, DT, DB, maybe middle rounds of OTs, and maybe a couple late round QBs.

Last edited:
The first time in a long time December isn't grueling... Things could and will change between now and then.. But on the surface it seems favorable...

I'm torn on which game to attend this year... narrowed it down to the patriots or the Miami game..

I'm going to Miami bought tickets through the Cowboys travel service last night

Depth Chart, and a little write-up. I'll post it again on Draft Day.

Quarterback – It’s starting to look like time to draft a replacement for Tony Romo. But here’s the problem, he’s still a Top 10 QB in this league, and we were extremely close to being in the Super Bowl. All other things held constant, if Russell Wilson played that way against us, the way he did Green Bay, we’d be in the Super Bowl. Because we’d be able to drain a lot of clock in order to prevent that huge comeback.

So while we need to think for the future, we also have a closing window. I hope they’ve been scouting late round QBs because we have too many holes to fix to spend a Top 4 round pick on a QB. I’d put it off for one more season, and next year go after a QB on Day 1 or 2. We’d have WRs in place, a Top 3 round Running Back from this year, and all homegrown young line for a new QB when Romo decided to hang them up :frown: .

Running Back – It’s clear we need a running back. McFadden can’t be our starter. Dunbar & Randle are not good enough to start. Randle vs. Williams will be interesting in training camp. If Randle is not clearly better than Williams, they will drop the former for the later. They no longer want to deal with that headache, and want a reason to get rid of him.

Wide Receiver - With Dez & Twill as our top 2 WRs, we have little need at WR. Beasley in the slot for those check down routes is golden. So there really is no need to go Wide Receiver. Unless someone slips to us.

Swing Tackle – With Parnell gone, we need insurance for Free… 1. He’s old 2. In Case of Injury. I would go with a mid-round pick for backup Tackle, and let them compete with Tony Hills for the spot. Or carry both just in case.

Defensive End – We need help here, but with Hardy & Lawrence, it’s better to go look elsewhere first. Mincey & Crawford should be able to play decently in the games that Hardy is suspended. But if there is a steal there, you should take it.

Defensive Tackle – Crawford is a good starter, but probably want him as the lesser talent of your starting DTs. I like Hayden, McClain & Brent as rotational guys. Just need that one guy who is able to get to the QB.

Weakeside LB – Simply drafting a guy because of Lee’s injury history.

Cornerback – We have a lot of bodies. I honestly think Carr will be let go at this point, especially if we draft a DB. I'd work on a re-structure for him up until draft day, if he doesn't, then you draft a DB, and let him go in July, and use that money saved to fill in the holes. If he does re-structure, I'd put off on going DB, and go maybe DE or Safety in Round 3.

If Carr is gone:
Scan should be strong side.
Claiborne is the Weakside.
White is the Slot DB.
Patmon is if all hell breaks loose and a bunch of injuries happen. Could even look to Spillman at that point as well.
C.J. Spillman hasn't signed yet, but he's extremely likely to be back. He's more of a backup Safety, and Special Teams where he was really solid last year.

First 3 rounds: Running Back, Defensive Tackle, Defensive Back. (If Gurley or Gordon are gone, then you go DT or DB). BUT, if we don’t go running back in Round 1, must go Running Back in Round 2 even if we have to reach because we need to make sure we get our guy.

4th, 5th, 7th, 7th - Outside Linebacker & Swing Tackle most important. Followed by DE, WR, S (which I only draft if it's a steal). Possibly a QB as well, but it isn't necessary this year. If Romo goes down, we're screwed regardless whether we drafted a guy in the 5th or 7th or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom