THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

First I've heard of this. School me on it.

This originates from from the Irish Pádraig, and is an acceptable nickname for any Patricks in your life.

Patty, on the other hand, isn't short for anything, apart from maybe 'Patricia'. Unless you're talking about a burger, it shouldn't be used.

This argument is so heavy that there's a website dedicated to this....
http://paddynotpatty.com/

paddy not pattys ...patty is derogatory, just a reminder ... but thank you!
First I've heard of this. School me on it.

Same here. I'm genuinely curious what the difference is.

This originates from from the Irish Pádraig, and is an acceptable nickname for any Patricks in your life.

Patty, on the other hand, isn't short for anything, apart from maybe 'Patricia'. Unless you're talking about a burger, it shouldn't be used.

Couldn't 'Patty' be short for Patrick as well? Also, what makes that derogatory per say?

The pronunciation difference between 'Patty' and 'Paddy' are very close phonetically.

from site referenced by [USER=193675]@troyaleksander[/USER] said:
Patty is the diminutive of Patricia, or a burger, and just not something you call a fella.

There isn’t a sinner in Ireland that would refer to a Patrick as “Patty”. It’s as simple as that.

Paddy
, Mick, and Tadhg have been used as slurs for centuries, aye, but they are still people’s names.

However stereotypical it may be, it isn’t a slur to call you by your actual name.

Seems to be mostly out of respect of the man the holiday originates around as 'Patty' isn't accepted as a nickname to Patrick.

Last edited:
Honestly I couldn't tell you beyond my cursory research.
That said, just a cultural nuance that comes down to language details, etc.

Might seem normal to one culture but means something different to another.
ex. wearing white at a formal setting in Western culture = purity while wearing white is reserved for funerals in Asian cultures.

E85E29ED-9AE6-49DA-80D3-7793C002BF80.png
Decided to take out the beasts today

Same here. I'm genuinely curious what the difference is.

Couldn't 'Patty' be short for Patrick as well? Also, what makes that derogatory per say?

The pronunciation difference between 'Patty' and 'Paddy' are very close phonetically.

Seems to be mostly out of respect of the man the holiday originates around as 'Patty' isn't accepted as a nickname to Patrick.
There's a fellow in the NBA named Patty Mills, which is short for Patrick.

There's a fellow in the NBA named Patty Mills, which is short for Patrick.

See below quote from Leetroy Jenkins Leetroy Jenkins . In short the derogatory claim is mostly based out of a cultural nuance.

Honestly I couldn't tell you beyond my cursory research.
That said, just a cultural nuance that comes down to language details, etc.

Might seem normal to one culture but means something different to another.
ex. wearing white at a formal setting in Western culture = purity while wearing white is reserved for funerals in Asian cultures.

Been here at work refreshing the SNKRS app for the animal pack. According to people Twitter you had to go to one of the 3 zoos in NYC (Prospect, Central Park or Bronx zoo) to get the stash. Looks like the Atmos/SNKRS drop was a super dub..

Been here at work refreshing the SNKRS app for the animal pack. According to people Twitter you had to go to one of the 3 zoos in NYC (Prospect, Central Park or Bronx zoo) to get the stash. Looks like the Atmos/SNKRS drop was a super dub..

Nike must think most people don't work for a living, talk about jumping through hoops, smh

Nike must think most people don't work for a living, talk about jumping through hoops, smh

Facts. It’s so annoying to miss out on drops because people have to work. And it doesn’t make it easier on release days dealing with bots, downed servers etc. I just hope I’m lucky this year like I was last year with Kith & the Atmos 1s.

Facts. It’s so annoying to miss out on drops because people have to work. And it doesn’t make it easier on release days dealing with bots, downed servers etc. I just hope I’m lucky this year like I was last year with Kith & the Atmos 1s.

Wait the drop happened on SNKRS already? I never saw it lol. I’ve been refreshing for a cool 5 hours

Back
Top Bottom