THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

D40F5778-E5A5-4F44-A0BD-BA6CDE6A3A55.jpeg

Was in NYC this past weekend and stopped by 21 Mercer. Had a good conversation with a few of the old bespoke consultants including a few of the older ones that were in the house.

Shame the program ended so abruptly. They told me before the program ended that new silhouettes were going to be added... Jordan 1 high and low included.

We also had a good discussion about how Nike is currently is losing "the streets" and/or it's core fanbase. The discussion included the removal of programs like bespokes and the scarcity of them NBY program, to the inability to get anything worth owning at retail, the snkrs app, and how rigged everything is. Etc

They're was about 6 guys in on the conversation and it was very interesting. (Interesting to a nerd like me)

Nike will prob never be overtaken as the number 1 brand. But the gap between them and everyone else has narrowed. Nike has always been a company that concerns themselves with the distance between them and everyone else.

They all agreed that the decisions that are important to real sneaker connoisseurs are always made by people at Nike that have no idea of what made the company what it is today. They also all agreed that in 5 or 10 years, at this pace, the landscape will look allot different than it is today... If Nike continues with it's current tactics.

I know this is loosely am1 based at best. But thought I'd share the story with the best thread on NT.

Cheers AM1 family.

Was in NYC this past weekend and stopped by 21 Mercer. Had a good conversation with a few of the old bespoke consultants including a few of the older ones that were in the house.

Shame the program ended so abruptly. They told me before the program ended that new silhouettes were going to be added... Jordan 1 high and low included.

We also had a good discussion about how Nike is currently is losing "the streets" and/or it's core fanbase. The discussion included the removal of programs like bespokes and the scarcity of them NBY program, to the inability to get anything worth owning at retail, the snkrs app, and how rigged everything is. Etc

They're was about 6 guys in on the conversation and it was very interesting. (Interesting to a nerd like me)

Nike will prob never be overtaken as the number 1 brand. But the gap between them and everyone else has narrowed. Nike has always been a company that concerns themselves with the distance between them and everyone else.

They all agreed that the decisions that are important to real sneaker connoisseurs are always made by people at Nike that have no idea of what made the company what it is today. They also all agreed that in 5 or 10 years, at this pace, the landscape will look allot different than it is today... If Nike continues with it's current tactics.

I know this is loosely am1 based at best. But thought I'd share the story with the best thread on NT.

Cheers AM1 family.

As you said, nobody in our lifetime will eclipse Nike. Nobody.

But did anyone bring up who might come close or who is creeping up to them? I'm thinking of the usual suspects but I can't see any of them getting too close.

As you said, nobody in our lifetime will eclipse Nike. Nobody.

But did anyone bring up who might come close or who is creeping up to them? I'm thinking of the usual suspects but I can't see any of them getting too close.
The Oregon insider of the bunch mentioned new balance as the flavor of the month.

However, the real threat is the kids that are valuing slides, Crocs and other no name brand leisure footwear.

You know, the tube socks and slides bunch.

The clientele for bespoke was so niche and small that I can't imagine why it would be worth discontinuing. If they can crank out PEs for sponsored athletes they can make a few bespokes a year IMO.
Bespoke was a loss leader for sure. Did it bring in revenue? Nah. But it did more for the community and free marketing. Nike ending it may not hurt Nike... But it definitely doesn't help.

The fact that Nike would even debate continuing or discontinuing a program that was so unique is just dumb.

For me personally, Nike has taken 90% of the joy I've had in my life for sneakers and trashed it.

Even though I'll never let sneakers go, I cop 10% of what I used to.

Last edited:

Cheers AM1 family.
Any discussion of bringing Bespoke back? I was hoping that was just a Covid thing and it'd come back.

Any discussion of bringing Bespoke back? I was hoping that was just a Covid thing and it'd come back.
No discussions to bring the program back at all bro.

It was interesting to know that the Jordan 1 was on the table to bespoke prior to ending the program though.

So weird that the conversation was about expanding before the pandemic, then cancelling once the pandemic hit.

I feel like the program would still be going if the pandemic didn't hit.

Back
Top Bottom