THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

cant wait to strike out on these!

since someone asked for toebox pix... here is a perfect example

trianglular shape > banana shape 

^^That's the toebox thing but that ain't got nothing to do with the China issue.

The main problem with the China manufactured 1s is the shape of the midsole.

China:

Vietnam:

Look at the top edge of the midsole, seen from the back of the shoe going forward. On the China ones, just past the air bubble there's a stronger curve down and then another quite strong curve up again. On the Vietnam ones this top line is way more level.

On a few recent Vietnam releases the toebox was quite thick but still a decent midsole, like these a.o.

And a few recent releases are from Indonesia, they also have a decent midsole but a slightly thicker toebox f.e. these
Really well explained post. Repped

I love AM1 but i am no expert so i have no clue the difference. Anyone got a comparison i could see?
Most of the recent releases have a toe box that bends up a bit at the end towards the sky.

Some of them such as the recent patch pack don't and are more level.

Some dudes on here iron the toe box so it drops down towards the floor.

It is generally considered that a level toe box is the most similar to the original mould.

Apparently the shape depends on what factory they were manufactured in but AMD will be able to explain that part better. I believe China is the curled toe box and maybe Vietnam the level but I may have that wrong.

Personally I don't mind the level or curled up ones as I have big feet so the ones that slightly curl up actually make my feet look smaller than the level ones. Still have bad memories of being called canoe feet back in 1989 at school wearing original air max!

It's just personal choice but there is a minority shape gestapo - a bit like the colab gestapo in other threads - who consider all the upturn models not true AM1. Others just don't like them and respect those that do.

Personal preference

If you like them get them - I personally like them.
thank you. yea i definitely see the curled up toe.  Doesn't bother me that much. Guess im not an Air max snob 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what country they're made in because none of them look right except for fuse pairs. It's a shame I'll never get to own a proper retro of the original colors because I refuse to pay the money for the old retros and I'm no longer going to settle for pairs I have to iron that still don't look completely correct.

Finally got my iD's in. Not that impress with the quality but it turned out about what I expected. The inspiration was a nice simple colorway with subtle hints of my alma mater school colors on the swoosh and top lace loop. The gum bottom was something I've been wanting on a pair of AM1 in awhile and of course Sole Cali branding on the left and right shoe. The AM1 is my favorite shoe of all time. :smile:

Last edited:

thank you. yea i definitely see the curled up toe.  Doesn't bother me that much. Guess im not an Air max snob 
laugh.gif
It's not about being a snob. it's about nike taking something some of us have been passionate about and supported for years and fundamentally changing it. no explanation or acknowledgement. if that wasn't enough they make the renderings with the old shape. those renderings are what they use as the product shot to sell the shoe on ndc. you can't even go by the sample shoe shots that get shared in this thread because the actual shoe is not going to be made in the same factory that the sample was. you have to wait till an actual real life shot get posted by someone somewhere to know what the shoe is really gonna look like.

thank you. yea i definitely see the curled up toe.  Doesn't bother me that much. Guess im not an Air max snob :lol:

It's not about being a snob. it's about nike taking something some of us have been passionate about and supported for years and fundamentally changing it. no explanation or acknowledgement. if that wasn't enough they make the renderings with the old shape. those renderings are what they use as the product shot to sell the shoe on ndc. you can't even go by the sample shoe shots that get shared in this thread because the actual shoe is not going to be made in the same factory that the sample was. you have to wait till an actual real life shot get posted by someone somewhere to know what the shoe is really gonna look like.

Oh i totally get it. I wasn't trying to call anyone a snob. I understand how it bothers you guys and i think its pretty lame what they have done too. Im just sayin im not an air max collector or anything i just love the way they look so it wont hold me back from buying those pigeon ones epecially if i can get them for $80-$90

Last edited:
There are pairs on eBay for 225 free shipping in the black in a size 12.  Honestly thats not horrible for resell prices, i helped a buddy out on this release and his pair ended up being like $176 and some change shipped from END.  I would suggest pinging some of those sellers for pp invoice, sellers seem really eager to get rid of these and you should be able to get closer to $200.

anyone know how to beat the countdown timer on NDC, please PM me... I tried one method from someone else but it didnt work.. 

i gonna buy a bot for the new am1 patches, because i want  2 pairs

and save myself the hassle for clicking at my mouse for 3 hours like an idiot
sick.gif

what's the sizing for the am1 ultra moires? I have to go half size up on regular am1's because of the toe box being narrow and I go tts for am1 lunars. thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom