The Official College Baseball Thread

So from what I remember from last year's thread, there aren't too many people on here that like/keep up with college baseball...I figured I'd giveit another shot and see if things have changed at all. If things haven't changed, I'll probably just use this thread as a sort of diary, to keep upwith things throughout the season. Sorry in advance if this annoys you.

The season opened tonight, with damn near every team in the nation in action.

There seems to be a pretty consensus top 3 in the nation. In almost every poll, you'll find the combination of UNC, LSU, and Texas A&M at the top.I'll post up some more stuff like preseason All-Americans and preseason All-Conference teams as well conference breakdowns if people want to see them.

Some notes from tonight's games:
-Miami's Jim Morris won his 1200th Division I game.
-Kansas' Shaeffer Hall recorded the first no-hitter of the 2009 season.
-33 of the 35 teams in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Poll won. #32 TCU lost 7-6 at #10 Cal State Fullerton, and #31 Oregon State lost 5-4 @Tennessee.

A no hitter already? Nice
On a side note:
I'd like to catch a few games at the Classic next weekend in Houston. Will A&M be playing in it?

Edit: I decided to quit being lazy and look it up. Good crop of teams this year. University of Houston, Rice, Texas A&M, Baylor, UCLA and UC Irvine

Saw Stanford play vandy today. Stanford is still very good.
Good luck to Texas AM this season. They are a very good baseball team, looking foward to watching them on cstv.

Originally Posted by air in822

A no hitter already? Nice
On a side note:
I'd like to catch a few games at the Classic next weekend in Houston. Will A&M be playing in it?
That Houston Classic is a really solid tournament. I might try to make it down there, but I don't know if I'll have a place to stay...eventhough it's only an hour and a half away
laugh.gif

The teams are: Rice, Houston, Texas A&M, Baylor, UCLA, and UC-Irvine
A&M plays Friday at noon (against top-15 UC Irvine) and Saturday at 7 (against top-5 Rice), and Sunday at 6 (against Houston).

And a side note on opening night at A&M: Attendance was right under 7,400, with over 3,200 students there. Some of the reserved sections had to be openedup for general admission
pimp.gif

Thanks rc49ers, and good luck to Stanford as well.

New National Collegiate Baseball Writers poll:

[table][tr][td]NCBWA DIVISION I TOP 30 POLL (FEB. 22)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rk.[/td] [td]School[/td] [td]Conference[/td] [td]Overall[/td] [td]Week[/td] [td]Pvs.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.[/td] [td]North Carolina[/td] [td]Atlantic Coast[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2.[/td] [td]LSU[/td] [td]Southeastern[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3.[/td] [td]Texas A&M[/td] [td]Big 12[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4.[/td] [td]Georgia[/td] [td]Southeastern[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5.[/td] [td]Florida State[/td] [td]Atlantic Coast[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6.[/td] [td]Arizona State[/td] [td]Pacific-10[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7.[/td] [td]Texas[/td] [td]Big 12[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8.[/td] [td]Georgia Tech[/td] [td]Atlantic Coast[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]13[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9.[/td] [td]Rice[/td] [td]Conference USA[/td] [td]1-2[/td] [td]1-2[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10.[/td] [td]Miami[/td] [td]Atlantic Coast[/td] [td]3-1[/td] [td]3-1[/td] [td]12[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11.[/td] [td]Stanford[/td] [td]Pacific-10[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12.[/td] [td]Oklahoma State[/td] [td]Big 12[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]16[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13.[/td] [td]Florida[/td] [td]Southeastern[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]24[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14.[/td] [td]UC Irvine[/td] [td]Big West[/td] [td]3-1[/td] [td]3-1[/td] [td]15[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15.[/td] [td]Fresno State[/td] [td]Western Athletic[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]17[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16.[/td] [td]Cal State Fullerton[/td] [td]Big West[/td] [td]1-2[/td] [td]1-2[/td] [td]10[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17.[/td] [td]San Diego[/td] [td]West Coast[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]18[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18.[/td] [td]Coastal Carolina[/td] [td]Big South[/td] [td]3-1[/td] [td]3-1[/td] [td]22[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19.[/td] [td]Clemson[/td] [td]Atlantic Coast[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]26[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20.[/td] [td]Baylor[/td] [td]Big 12[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]19[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21.[/td] [td]Pepperdine[/td] [td]West Coast[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]21[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22.[/td] [td]Oklahoma[/td] [td]Big 12[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]28[/td] [/tr][tr][td]23.[/td] [td]East Carolina[/td] [td]Conference USA[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]27[/td] [/tr][tr][td]24.[/td] [td]Mississippi[/td] [td]Southeastern[/td] [td]1-2[/td] [td]1-2[/td] [td]14[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25.[/td] [td]Michigan[/td] [td]Big Ten[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]4-0[/td] [td]30[/td] [/tr][tr][td]26.[/td] [td]UCLA[/td] [td]Pacific-10[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]25[/td] [/tr][tr][td]27.[/td] [td]TCU[/td] [td]Mountain West[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]2-1[/td] [td]-[/td] [/tr][tr][td]28.[/td] [td]Louisville[/td] [td]Big East[/td] [td]0-3[/td] [td]0-3[/td] [td]11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]29.[/td] [td]Arkansas[/td] [td]Southeastern[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]-[/td] [/tr][tr][td]30.[/td] [td]Kentucky[/td] [td]Southeastern[/td] [td]2-2[/td] [td]2-2[/td] [td]23[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Others receiving votes (listed alphabetically): Arizona (2-1), Boston College (4-0), Cal Poly (2-1), College of Charleston (3-0), Elon (2-1), Gonzaga (3-1), Kent State (3-0), Lamar (4-0), Liberty (3-1), Middle Tennessee State (3-0), Missouri (1-3), Nebraska (2-1-1), Ohio State (3-0), Oregon State (1-1), Sam Houston State (4-0), San Diego State (2-1), South Carolina (2-0), Southeast Missouri State (2-1), Southern Miss (3-0), Tulane (3-1), UNC Wilmington (3-0), USC (2-1), Vanderbilt (1-2), Virginia (4-0)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]By conference: Southeastern 6, Atlantic Coast 5, Big 12 5, Pacific-10 3, Big West 2, Conference USA 2, West Coast 2, Big East 1, Big South 1, Big Ten 1, Mountain West 1, Western Athletic 1[/td] [/tr][/table]

Gerrit Cole
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

LU baseball team is pretty good. Won the coca cola classic. now we play JMU and North Carolina

I am pretty pumped for OSU baseball. Oregon is back in action this year so those should be some fun games to go to.

Is D'vontrey Richardson any good?

I keep hearing that he has 1st round talent in baseball.

And how good is Riley Cooper from UF?

Originally Posted by dreClark

Is D'vontrey Richardson any good?

I keep hearing that he has 1st round talent in baseball.

And how good is Riley Cooper from UF?
D'vo didn't play last season, but he was pretty solid in 2007. He hit over .350 with a slugging percentage of roughly .500. He startedlike 25+ games at CF as a freshman. He's on the roster again this season, and has started three out of four games in RF, batting .400.

Riley Cooper was decent last year. He only hit a little over .200 during the season, but showed some pretty good potential during regionals.

[table][tr][td]19.[/td] [td]Clemson[/td] [td]Atlantic Coast[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [td]26[/td] [/tr][/table]
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Never follwed College Baseball, but my homeboy from hs, richard mounce, is a pitcher in his freshmen year..so i'll probably be following him thisseason..didn't know the season started already though..
nerd.gif

We should be pretty good this year from what I've followed. One kid who pitched this weekend is supposedly legit, struck out 5 of the first 6 he faced.

I miss college, going from beautiful weather watching football (and soccer) in the fall, heading inside to watch basketball in the winter to back out forbaseball games in the spring. Always was a game to chill and watch live.

Riley Cooper had a great weekend offensively and had robbed a homer on a great play at the wall.
My boy Tim Jobe at FIU went 6-10 with a homer in his first 3 D1 games, really happy for him.
Watch out for Mike McGee at FSU, played at one of our rivals Port St Lucie High, tearing it up batting and on the mound for the Noles this year.

Riley Cooper had a great weekend offensively and had robbed a homer on a great play at the wall.
My boy Tim Jobe at FIU went 6-10 with a homer in his first 3 D1 games, really happy for him.
Watch out for Mike McGee at FSU, played at one of our rivals Port St Lucie High, tearing it up batting and on the mound for the Noles this year.

Originally Posted by JONFARR

I got a real question, does UNC blow it in the CWS again this year?
I think they'll get there...whether or not I think they'll win it depends on if Texas A&M gets there
laugh.gif

tmay407- do you go to A&M?
Yea...
Originally Posted by thetruth03

Two Words... Nick Romero...
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

my dude is a BEAST
Kid from San Diego State?

Originally Posted by tmay407

Originally Posted by JONFARR

I got a real question, does UNC blow it in the CWS again this year?
I think they'll get there...whether or not I think they'll win it depends on if Texas A&M gets there
laugh.gif
You all better hope Oregon State doesn't get back to Omaha, because it would be ON!
laugh.gif

Who's playing CF for A&M at the moment? I kinda wish Eric Eiland had gone there for at least a year instead of opting to sign with the Jays two yearsago.

Who's playing CF for A&M at the moment? I kinda wish Eric Eiland had gone there for at least a year instead of opting to sign with the Jays two years ago.
Kyle Colligan. And he's a beast.

Back
Top Bottom