The Official Flightposite 2014 Thread Vol. Carbons, H20, Possible Coppers

BIP - I hear you, and as a NTker i respect u, but you have to realize that you were once a new jack, fortunately at that time when u was new to the game, Nike was more fresh and actually put out good quality products. But I bet while you were buying back then you had an older person or someone telling you that spending $ on nikes was dumb and to go buy something cheaper, if you didnt kudos to u. Not propping up mediocrity, if i had the extra money to go get the OG's i will but me personally even if i did i fear the fact of it falling apart or not being wearable (never got into buying old shoes, pardon my ignorance just dont have the right education on which shoe holds up after a couple years). Its at a point where I feel Nike knows they are a household name, and people like us who were with them for the ride are losing out. The last pair of Auburns that released were atrocious quality wise, but I know its not going to get any better, i didnt cop, and lord knows i love that shoe. Maybe Nike will surprise me in the next couple years and drop a decent pair, but i saved my $, and thats exactly what you doing, got it, but im not saying anything about it because i know it was expected. Back in the day it was Nike running this shoe thing, adidas/fila/converse was great but Nike was ahead, nowadays you have brands like asics/NB doing collabs and they are pushing out kicks that are actually not that bad, some even better than your avg Nike, and come up in the same discussions with old nike models. Sure the swoosh can put out good quality if they want to, but why should they? Im saying that those golden years where Nike made good retros is done, the focus is more on new products, as you can see it looks like they are taking this new mold of this model and running with it, its going to sell and that is that. Its VERY disappointing but the best you can do is dont buy, big up the ones who do because they got what they wanted, and keep it moving. But don think the newer generation is buying just to buy, yes majority of them is treating this like the new trading card game but there are some that cop simply because they like what they see, not to throw money away

I guess, I'm privileged. I bought my first pair of sneakers with my own money in 1990. BY '93/'94, I was working odd jobs/part time jobs regularly and using that money to buy Nike, Polo, and North Face.... and Olde English, White Owls, and Newports... and music. This was years before NT; it was years before Nikepark. There was really no sneaker game to soeak of, just a desire to be fresh and an organic appreciation of kicks. Were there people telling me to buy something cheaper - maybe out of touch adults, but not really from my peers.

As is almost always the case, Nike did a better job of feeding the true "sneakerhead" before it knew that such a thing truly existed.

I was lucky enough to live through the glory years of Nike and have first-hand knowledge of how amazing and revolutionary their products were. Years later, a big motivator for my continued love of sneaks is the nostalgia factor. But, having held the originals in my hands, if not worn them on my feet, when the quality, shape, materials take a nosedive and are inaccurate, it just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't summon that same feeling.

I understand that most younger kids don't know or don't care. They're going to buy anyway. Above all, I resent how widespread and mainstream the whole hobby has become - that's what ruined it. Once it becomes paint by numbers, the architects have no chance anymore - we become a marginalized, minority voice, considered bitter haters by the masses.

What are you going to do.... But, just because people want to ignore or whitewash that history, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So, sometimes we are going to moan about things. And, we are going to try to make people see where we are coming from in terms of our opinions on a lot of these retros. Deep down, I wish all these kids got to experience the Nike that we did - it would start to justify the currently unjustifiable hype around the shoes they feti****e.

And, BTW, I understand the temptation if it's your grail. And, I think we all have given in here and there when there's something we really want. So, I don't blame anybody who makes the individual decision to buy these. ...If Nike dropped the Air Trainer Max 92 again, I'd probably take it in whatever horrible iteration they did, so long as it wasn't a hybrid. But, it's really about a mindset and pattern of behavior as a consumer. Good for you for skipping the Bos. If you can't find the strength to skip these, then Nike wins that one battle. But, you can still win the war.

Last edited:
I feel u Bip, coming from the time where these retros of today were first coming out when u started i can see why some of you guys are upset, maybe we can take into consideration what poosht said, is there anyone/anywhere we can share our thoughts?

Last edited:
Nike HQ is trolling NT harder than ever these days. 

They are and some of NTs insiders have confirmed they do. Which makes things like this worse. Why not just retro the shoe as it was and make everyone happy. I wouldn't mind the $50 increase then. This is a shoe I've waited to return since High School and I'm 29 now. This is a lot of folks grails. Just a major disappointment. 1c3m4m 1c3m4m I'm not knocking you if you decide to purchase. Just venting my frustrations bruh.

If Nike is trolling in here then I'm sure they know most of the reasons why we are unhappy with the retro fp1 line...

But if its in the mainstream social media, perhaps that'll put more pressure on them considering it'll be negative responses to recent retros and quality issues...

i broke and i pulled the trigger on the purchase...but I'm going to make myself feel better by purchasing the 2008 black fp1

Nike HQ is trolling NT harder than ever these days.

I have a big problem with the price, you get less, but they charge you more.

nike can easily reproduce the mold if they want. they just essentially took a different shoe (fligtposite no zip) and added a zip and add the carbon flightposite I theme to it.

if they would have just tooled up the mold for the no zips to be on par with the OG flightposites or even the retros then we wouldn't be discussing this stuff. instead, the no zip flopped and they decided to give us a color way to salvage the line. they weren't going to retool the molds for us at that point.

This is what I think happened.

The corny theme gimmicks didn't work from the zipperless version, so they tried to get ones that we've always longed for from the flightposite.

Last edited:
That change on the sole is annoying me.. I'll deal with $210, but I'm not proud, seeing as though these were just $180 a few years back? With the correct mold as well...

I can't believe dudes still in here debating on why Nike can't do things right, it is 2014 bruh. :rofl:

That change on the sole is annoying me.. I'll deal with $210, but I'm not proud, seeing as though these were just $180 a few years back? With the correct mold as well...

I can't believe dudes still in here debating on why Nike can't do things right, it is 2014 bruh. :rofl:
Retro was $180 OG was $160

Yes, these are a MAJOR disappointment, but SADLY i will still cop a pair only bc realistically this is the closest i may ever get to a real, wearable pair of cf flights for a "reasonable" price. To tell the truth, the cf pattern doesn't even bother me. Its what they did with the midsole that really just kills this shoe. Could have been greatness. :smh:

This shoe def separates the OG heads from the young folks.

Nike knows exactly what they are doing

The blatant cost cutting started after Phil Knight retired.

Flightposites can/could've been done right if they felt like it

I agree that nike is just trying to salvage the zipperless flop

I'm sure they will still sell out

Wouldn't be surprised if nike was posting on here trying give more steam to the hype train

Last edited:
only a few topics even get talked about in this culture.....

bad retros

quality control

ogs > retros

nike knows they have a audience know matter what.some are just die hard nike fans and will buy anything with a swoosh,others are sheep, and some are og collectors who know a proper retro may never come so they wait till mark down and pick up.......either way they will sell.

it bugs me when people talk quality.you cant find a single pair of 93 mutombo or 92 challenge huaraches without cracking because they used vinyl which was cheaper.brands have always been cutting corners to save cash.i also remember plenty of sloppy paint jobs.

dont get me wrong i love ogs,and yes overall the quality was better but they werent perfect back then either.

nike didnt change these for cost,they changed to see what sticks to the wall.maybe it will work and maybe it wont but its well worth the risk of them trying after all nike got where they are by trying new things(also great marketing)......also they have a safety net known as the household name nike.

Last edited:

If that's what you are getting out of the discussion, maybe you need to read more carefully. We all know why it is the way it is. Doesn't mean we have to like it though. And, doesn't mean we shouldn't let the youngins know that it doesn't HAVE to be this, and wasn't always this way.

Here's what I see happening: These drop now and some of us pass cause we just can't get past all the problems with the shoe. Some people, probably a lot of people cop cause either they were too young when the first carbons dropped to really care, or they just want something close enough. (In all honesty, we hate these because we know what they could have been. If it wasn't for the first pair and if the soles always looked like that we'd all probably cop).

So they still make their money and live off the hype. Now fast forward about a year maybe a year and a half and they'll retro these again, only with the proper sole, and maaaaaybe the right texture to the carbon fiber and then hike the price up to $250 and blame inflation. Now the rest of us will have a harder time resisting on some "look, they got it RIGHT this time!" as if it's something we should be eternally grateful for. Just look at the last time they did a retro Jordan VI. Varsity Reds kinda sold/kinda sat so they dropped infrareds as a pack and even with that ashy, messed up Nubuck on the blacks and the fact that it was a pack they still sold out quick.

I'd cop at $250 if done correct. If Nike does that a year or two from now an rerelease these proper then maybe that will wake up the newer crowd. Their pairs of this retro would instantly lose any value it holds and it'll be a slap in the face to those who buys these.

Last edited:
I have no problem with anyone buying these now though to be honest. I'm just not getting them myself but if someone else is ok with them and it makes them happy, then by all means go ahead.

They are and some of NTs insiders have confirmed they do. Which makes things like this worse. Why not just retro the shoe as it was and make everyone happy. I wouldn't mind the $50 increase then. This is a shoe I've waited to return since High School and I'm 29 now. This is a lot of folks grails. Just a major disappointment. 1c3m4m 1c3m4m I'm not knocking you if you decide to purchase. Just venting my frustrations bruh.

No prob its all love, we all fam, I picture these thread discussions like arguing with your uncles and cousins at bbq on which nba player was the greatest

Seeing the retail on this is crazy. I copped red/charcoals off ebay in '02 for $112. This is insane. 

Back
Top Bottom