***The Official Legalization of Cannabis Thread***

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

I curious if it would be possible for big business to control seed banks? Like buy them out? I don't know a lot about that business aspect.
No way. I'm assuming it would be legal to get seeds directly from Amsterdam, Canada, etc.

m07_23095881.jpg

I'm down for whatever she's down for. 

[h1]Proposition 19 campaign gets $1 million donation from George Soros[/h1]
October 26, 2010 |  9:31am

George Soros, the multibillionaire investor, will donate $1 million to help pass Proposition 19, the marijuana legalization measure, which he endorsed Monday as "a major step forward."

The donation makes Soros, who is the chairman of a hedge fund and who founded the Open Society Foundations, the largest donor to the campaign after Richard Lee, an Oakland medical marijuana entrepreneur, who has spent at least $1.5 million on the measure.

It provides a huge lift to the Yes on 19 campaign, which had raised about $2.4 million by mid-October, as it launched cable television advertising Tuesday in the Los Angeles area.

Ethan Nadelmann, the executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, one of the nation’s main advocates for reforming drug laws, confirmed the planned contribution on Tuesday.

"There’s no way to know what this means in terms of George Soros’ future commitments," he said, "but I for one hope that he will end up making the same commitment to broader marijuana law reform as he has since the mid-1990s to medical marijuana."

Soros has donated about $3 million to help pass three California initiatives, including the state’s 1996 measure to allow the use of marijuana for medical reasons.

Proposition 19, which would allow adults 21 and older to grow and possess marijuana, was Lee’s brainchild, and he has been the principal donor and spokesman for the cause. The wealthy donors who had bankrolled past efforts to change California’s drug laws were not involved in the campaign at the beginning and had largely stayed on the sidelines until the last few weeks.

Peter B. Lewis, a retired insurance company executive, recently donated $209,005, and George Zimmer, the founder and CEO of Men’s Wearhouse, donated $50,000. Zimmer had earlier donated $20,500. Both businessmen have supported past initiatives to soften the state’s drug laws, including the medical marijuana initiative.

Soros announced his support for the initiative, which would also allow cities and counties to authorize commercial cultivation and sales, in an opinion piece that was published online Monday evening by the Wall Street Journal. He called for marijuana to be regulated and taxed.

"Proposition 19 already is a winner no matter what happens on Election Day," he wrote. "The mere fact of its being on the ballot has elevated and legitimized public discourse about marijuana and marijuana policy in ways I could not have imagined a year ago."

-- John Hoeffel

Photo: Joshua Roberts / Bloomberg

[h1]Proposition 19 campaign gets $1 million donation from George Soros[/h1]
October 26, 2010 |  9:31am

George Soros, the multibillionaire investor, will donate $1 million to help pass Proposition 19, the marijuana legalization measure, which he endorsed Monday as "a major step forward."

The donation makes Soros, who is the chairman of a hedge fund and who founded the Open Society Foundations, the largest donor to the campaign after Richard Lee, an Oakland medical marijuana entrepreneur, who has spent at least $1.5 million on the measure.

It provides a huge lift to the Yes on 19 campaign, which had raised about $2.4 million by mid-October, as it launched cable television advertising Tuesday in the Los Angeles area.

Ethan Nadelmann, the executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, one of the nation’s main advocates for reforming drug laws, confirmed the planned contribution on Tuesday.

"There’s no way to know what this means in terms of George Soros’ future commitments," he said, "but I for one hope that he will end up making the same commitment to broader marijuana law reform as he has since the mid-1990s to medical marijuana."

Soros has donated about $3 million to help pass three California initiatives, including the state’s 1996 measure to allow the use of marijuana for medical reasons.

Proposition 19, which would allow adults 21 and older to grow and possess marijuana, was Lee’s brainchild, and he has been the principal donor and spokesman for the cause. The wealthy donors who had bankrolled past efforts to change California’s drug laws were not involved in the campaign at the beginning and had largely stayed on the sidelines until the last few weeks.

Peter B. Lewis, a retired insurance company executive, recently donated $209,005, and George Zimmer, the founder and CEO of Men’s Wearhouse, donated $50,000. Zimmer had earlier donated $20,500. Both businessmen have supported past initiatives to soften the state’s drug laws, including the medical marijuana initiative.

Soros announced his support for the initiative, which would also allow cities and counties to authorize commercial cultivation and sales, in an opinion piece that was published online Monday evening by the Wall Street Journal. He called for marijuana to be regulated and taxed.

"Proposition 19 already is a winner no matter what happens on Election Day," he wrote. "The mere fact of its being on the ballot has elevated and legitimized public discourse about marijuana and marijuana policy in ways I could not have imagined a year ago."

-- John Hoeffel

Photo: Joshua Roberts / Bloomberg

Originally Posted by akaValentino

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Originally Posted by apowell11

what about for the rest of us that actually have jobs but if we take a drug test and fail, we lose our jobs. If you have a medical marijuana card, your employer is not required to respect it if you fail a test. if the prop is passed, legalization of recreational use would bypass this for us that want to smoke but not worry about losing our jobs.
this. and a lot of other points promote the passing of prop 19. Just the fact that its legal will be a huge stepping stone to further liberalization. 
I cant believe some cannabis users are actually against this bill 
30t6p3b.gif

Sike. you're employer would still have the right to fire you if you come in smelling dank and all red-eye. 
laugh.gif

i show up to work blasted every day
roll.gif

Originally Posted by akaValentino

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Originally Posted by apowell11

what about for the rest of us that actually have jobs but if we take a drug test and fail, we lose our jobs. If you have a medical marijuana card, your employer is not required to respect it if you fail a test. if the prop is passed, legalization of recreational use would bypass this for us that want to smoke but not worry about losing our jobs.
this. and a lot of other points promote the passing of prop 19. Just the fact that its legal will be a huge stepping stone to further liberalization. 
I cant believe some cannabis users are actually against this bill 
30t6p3b.gif

Sike. you're employer would still have the right to fire you if you come in smelling dank and all red-eye. 
laugh.gif

i show up to work blasted every day
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

something I did not know..

Prop 19 legalizes industrial use of hemp.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

(b)     Statutes and authorize regulations to further the purposes of the Act to establish a statewide regulatory system for a commercial cannabis industry that addresses some or all of the items referenced in Sections 11301 and 11302.

(c)     Laws to authorize the production of hemp or non-active cannabis for horticultural and industrial purposes.

This is exactly the reason why I am voting YES on Prop 19. 

However sadly I doubt it's going to pass.  For the past 2 weeks, opponents of Prop 19 have been advertising their BS propaganda or better known  as Reefer Madness fear mongering campaign on local radio out here in the LA area and guess who paid for it?  CA Chamber of Commerce = Big Business

http://www.calchamber.com...Pages/Prop19RadioAd.aspx

http://www.sacbee.com/201...op-19-spot-distorts.html

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Text[/h3]
Imagine coming out of surgery and the nurse caring for you was high drunk, or having to work harder on your job to make up for a co-worker who shows up high drunk on pot alcohol. It could happen in California if Proposition 19 passes.

Prop. 19 would do more than simply legalize marijuana. Prop. 19 is worded so broadly that it would hurt California's economy, raise business costs and make it harder to create jobs. Employees would be allowed to come to work high drunk and employers would be unable to punish an employee for being high drunk until after a workplace accident.

Not only could workers' compensation premiums rise, businesses will lose millions in federal grants for violating federal drug laws. California's economy is bad enough. Prop. 19 will hurt workers and business and cost jobs.

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

something I did not know..

Prop 19 legalizes industrial use of hemp.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

(b)     Statutes and authorize regulations to further the purposes of the Act to establish a statewide regulatory system for a commercial cannabis industry that addresses some or all of the items referenced in Sections 11301 and 11302.

(c)     Laws to authorize the production of hemp or non-active cannabis for horticultural and industrial purposes.

This is exactly the reason why I am voting YES on Prop 19. 

However sadly I doubt it's going to pass.  For the past 2 weeks, opponents of Prop 19 have been advertising their BS propaganda or better known  as Reefer Madness fear mongering campaign on local radio out here in the LA area and guess who paid for it?  CA Chamber of Commerce = Big Business

http://www.calchamber.com...Pages/Prop19RadioAd.aspx

http://www.sacbee.com/201...op-19-spot-distorts.html

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Text[/h3]
Imagine coming out of surgery and the nurse caring for you was high drunk, or having to work harder on your job to make up for a co-worker who shows up high drunk on pot alcohol. It could happen in California if Proposition 19 passes.

Prop. 19 would do more than simply legalize marijuana. Prop. 19 is worded so broadly that it would hurt California's economy, raise business costs and make it harder to create jobs. Employees would be allowed to come to work high drunk and employers would be unable to punish an employee for being high drunk until after a workplace accident.

Not only could workers' compensation premiums rise, businesses will lose millions in federal grants for violating federal drug laws. California's economy is bad enough. Prop. 19 will hurt workers and business and cost jobs.

30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom