The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

anybody have a thunderbolt dock for dual display? looking to get a second monitor and i was looking at OWCs dock and the Belkin dock and it says that one of the displays must have a thunderbolt port. I had planned on running one display via HDMi and the other via HDMI but using a HDMI to TB adapter. would my configuration work?

So I was hoping you guys could help me out:

My iMac (mid 2010) hard drive is basically gone. (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP588?locale=en_US <- computer info)

i'm in the process of seeing if i can recover any data and i'm now looking to buy a new hard drive.

I've heard toshiba hard drives are reputable and this one seems to be a good price (i don't need more than a tb)

Amazon product ASIN B00A0KXK7U
Is there any reason this wouldn't work or that i shouldn't buy this hard drive. 

Also... I've watched the videos on how to install the hard drive... i'll have a local expert install it for me but i'm thinking about getting a SSD instead... is there any reason he'd have difficulty installing it? I assume i need a bracket for it as well because its a smaller size?

Hey fellas, just hoping to get some quick advice. I have a 2009 map with the original HD but updated RAM.
Yesterday I couldn't get it to load past the bootscreen and it then turns itself off. Please see images.

Is my MacBook a wrap or can I just swap the HD, clean the fans and keep pushing? Thanks.

Hey fellas, just hoping to get some quick advice. I have a 2009 map with the original HD but updated RAM.
Yesterday I couldn't get it to load past the bootscreen and it then turns itself off. Please see images.
Is my MacBook a wrap or can I just swap the HD, clean the fans and keep pushing? Thanks.
You can swap the HD

Perfection. Any recommendations? I'll buy it tonight on Amazon.
Two similar questions. My MBP has two trays from RAM, 4gb max in both, but one of the slots is bent and broken. Any simple way to replace that or not worth the trouble?

Also, if I change the fan will it stop running so hot for a while or will the SSD take care of that by itself?

I plan on getting a new 15" MBP soon, but I have a couple questions. Is there supposed to be a refresh of them later this year or am I good to cop now? I plan on having it upgraded straight from Apple, but would this be the best option? I don't know how true this is and I could've misunderstood but I heard you can't upgrade the RAM or anything aftermarket. 

I haven't kept up with any MBP info. for years it feels like.

I plan on getting a new 15" MBP soon, but I have a couple questions. Is there supposed to be a refresh of them later this year or am I good to cop now? I plan on having it upgraded straight from Apple, but would this be the best option? I don't know how true this is and I could've misunderstood but I heard you can't upgrade the RAM or anything aftermarket. 

I haven't kept up with any MBP info. for years it feels like.

The rumors are there's a refresh coming, so if you want the latest and greatest I would hold out. To my knowledge the RAM is now soldered on the motherboard, so you have to go through apple for upgrades.

Two similar questions. My MBP has two trays from RAM, 4gb max in both, but one of the slots is bent and broken. Any simple way to replace that or not worth the trouble?

Also, if I change the fan will it stop running so hot for a while or will the SSD take care of that by itself?

This is what I got, worth the money imo.

Amazon product ASIN B00OBRE5UE

Whats a good price for a late 2012 Mac Mini i7 Quad Core, 1TB, and 10GB RAM? Seem like its a sought out model.

Whats a good price for a late 2012 Mac Mini i7 Quad Core, 1TB, and 10GB RAM? Seem like its a sought out model.

10GB? I got the 16gb joint with SSD for about $1,200 2 years ago on amazon. Should be a bit cheaper now since the last minor refresh. But man this thing is smooth :smokin

This is what I got, worth the money imo.

Amazon product ASIN B00OBRE5UE
This is the HD I have
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B99JU5M/?tag=niketalk0e-20

Yes change your fan out for the Mac to shop running. I don't know about the ram it maybe best to max the computer out using one slot.

10GB? I got the 16gb joint with SSD for about $1,200 2 years ago on amazon. Should be a bit cheaper now since the last minor refresh. But man this thing is smooth :smokin

Yea weird I know. Got a 8 and 2gb stick. I think what ill do is put another 8gb in there. Replace the OS drive with an SSD. I think there may be a fusion kit I can buy to keep the 1TB HDD and just ride this until its too slow to tango.

Just popped in another 8gb stick in there, that I got from amazon for low. Nice speed. I think I'm going to pop in an SSD and just might keep this thing. It still runs butter. Do you guys suggest 250gb then ge the dual HD kit for the mac mini and keep the 1TB? Or should I fork out the money on for 450-500gb SSD?

Alright so I need some tech help.

So I got a MacBook Pro. Older model. IDK exactly how old like 4 or 5 years old.

So yesterday it started freezing up on me. I'd go to restart and I'd get a grey screen with a folder and a question mark.

I restarted again holding down command and R and would go to disk utility to do first aid. Says everything is Gucci but when I restart the **** is still ****** up.

It wants me to reinstall OSX but when I try to it wants me to choose a disk to save the file on or whatever but it doesn't give me any options to do so.

Help me please.

I got OSX 10.11 El Capitan.

Last edited:

So yesterday it started freezing up on me. I'd go to restart and I'd get a grey screen with a folder and a question mark.

I restarted again holding down command and R and would go to disk utility to do first aid. Says everything is Gucci but when I restart the **** is still ****** up.

It wants me to reinstall OSX but when I try to it wants me to choose a disk to save the file on or whatever but it doesn't give me any options to do so.

Help me please.

Could be the HDD going bad?

Help me please.

My guess is the HDD is going bad also. Did you back it up on an external drive by chance? You can try booting from there and see what happens.

I need some help. So my mid 2012 mbp has been working fine up until about a month ago. Currently on 10.10.5 with 16gb ram. Computer has slowed down across the board with all apps. Constantly getting the spinning color wheel and occasionally it will restart on its own. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
im assuming 

Help me please.

80% sure hard drive cable/bracket. Its the cable that connects the HDD to the logic board. Part cost $15. not sure about labor tho. I think labor is a little bit above $50 at Apple.

Last edited:
Appreciate it fellers. I'll take it to Apple tomorrow.

Have to go there anyways because i dropped my phone and have a shattered screen. :rolleyes

My guess is the HDD is going bad also. Did you back it up on an external drive by chance? You can try booting from there and see what happens.

Nah....My lazy *** has an external drive but I never took the time to back it up.

I ain't ****. :lol:

I was catching up on Game of Thrones yesterday at work but coupled with the dirty/fingerprinted screen and glare it was getting hard to watch on the dark scenes. So I grabbed some Windex and a paper towel and this happened.

Those marks in the top right corner of the screen are spots where I guess some sort of coating was rubbed off. It looks terrible. I didn't even scrub hard or for long. Maybe 15 seconds at most. Why couldn't I just wait until I got home to clean it with a screen cleaner and microfiber cloth? :smh: :smh: :smh:

Anyone have any experience with Apple for something like this being repaired? I honestly don't even know if it can be repaired. It's still under the 1 year warranty if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Current setup. Looking to upgrade my MBP after WWDC a some point this year.

Info on dock?

Plant is sus.

SKAHFKLDJFKLAJFKLDFJSSKLALKJ I need greenery, b. Helps with the creative workflow. That feng shui

The dock is the bookarc http://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...id=aos-us-kwg-pla-btb-slid--product-HJB32ZM/A

Current setup. Looking to upgrade my MBP after WWDC a some point this year.

Very clean setup sir. What monitor is that? Curved?

Thanks, its the Samsung S29E790C curved display. I have the 29inch but they make a 34 also.

That 34 is a beast

Amazon product ASIN B00Q7VCSGU

Last edited:
Yeah I plan on going for a similar setup. That's a 13" model? I'm using a 15" now, but will go for a 13" and use in tandem with a monitor. I saw the Henge dock, but don't feel like paying that much.

Back
Top Bottom