The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

anyone put a new hd in 2010 macbook, im thinking of doing it is there anyway to save my stuff without getting a external drive?

i really only care about my itunes will it save on its own?
youre gonna need some external medium of transfer. How big is your library? you can save your itunes library to CD/DVD and just import them on your new computer. Keep in mind a DVD only stores about 4.5GBs though. If you have any substantial amount of music you might just wanna opt for an external. You should always have a system backup anyway so you can use this an an excuse to invest in one
i got like 5 gigs of movies right now and 5 gigs of music...
but does it save my itunes if im signed in? like if i got on a other computer and sign into itunes will my library come up?

if not any suggestions on a external? theres so many to choose from 

anyone put a new hd in 2010 macbook, im thinking of doing it is there anyway to save my stuff without getting a external drive?

i really only care about my itunes will it save on its own?
youre gonna need some external medium of transfer. How big is your library? you can save your itunes library to CD/DVD and just import them on your new computer. Keep in mind a DVD only stores about 4.5GBs though. If you have any substantial amount of music you might just wanna opt for an external. You should always have a system backup anyway so you can use this an an excuse to invest in one
but does it save my itunes if im signed in? like if i got on a other computer and sign into itunes will my library come up?

i'm confused as to what you're asking. You mean if you log into another computer with your AppleID, will your library show up on that computer? No. You can transfer purchases that you've made in iTunes to your new computer, but any songs you ripped or acquired by other means would have to be added manually. 10GB of data isn't bad at all...you can easily transfer that with 3 DVDs. There's an option in iTunes to save your library to discs. If you want to get the external, you have plenty of options in size and brand. Since you have a laptop, i recommend you opt for a self powered drive. WD Passports are the most reliable drives i've used, but peoples' preferences will depend on personal experience. The Studio models have a firewire output that transfers files much faster than USB. Seagate, LaCie and Samsung all make good drives too. SHop around for the sz and model you find best suits your needs

Never thought about upgrading my hard drive (250gb) but 750gb for 110? Didn't know they had gotten that cheap. Will I notice a big difference when upgrading to a 7200rpm one? Also, what could I do with the old hard drive, anyway to use it as an external?

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

Never thought about upgrading my hard drive (250gb) but 750gb for 110? Didn't know they had gotten that cheap. Will I notice a big difference when upgrading to a 7200rpm one? Also, what could I do with the old hard drive, anyway to use it as an external?
assuming you're on a 5400RPM drive now, the speed difference is noticeable but not huge. You can always get a hard drive enclosure to house the outgoing drive and use it as an external, or get a hard drive dock for the same purpose. Enclosures are cheaper but docks tend to have other ports for memory cards and such

i'm confused as to what you're asking. You mean if you log into another computer with your AppleID, will your library show up on that computer? No. You can transfer purchases that you've made in iTunes to your new computer, but any songs you ripped or acquired by other means would have to be added manually. 10GB of data isn't bad at all...you can easily transfer that with 3 DVDs. There's an option in iTunes to save your library to discs. If you want to get the external, you have plenty of options in size and brand. Since you have a laptop, i recommend you opt for a self powered drive. WD Passports are the most reliable drives i've used, but peoples' preferences will depend on personal experience. The Studio models have a firewire output that transfers files much faster than USB. Seagate, LaCie and Samsung all make good drives too. SHop around for the sz and model you find best suits your needs
yeah thats what i meant, i might just save myself 100$ and just get a portable i still have 221 gb from the 250 hd and ive had it for a while 
laugh.gif

i read you loose battery life going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm 

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Originally Posted by reener

I have a 2010 Mac Book Pro that I purchased this past September, on the left hinge it keeps making a cracking noise. When I adjust the screen or put the laptop to sleep.

Anyone else have this problem
nerd.gif
That's not good. You should still be under warranty. Set up an appt. at your local Apple Store and get that fixed.
It's not a sound like crumbling a paper but it's definitely not normal.

I'm gonna have to make an appointment.

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

Will the LION OS be worth switching over to from snow leopard?

people have had good things to say about the dev version out now but you won't know for sure until it's out and you can use it yourself. I wouldn't expect it to be worse than the current offering though. OSX has gotten progressively better with each release. I remember when i was excited about Puma 
03e15cef99a12ee6bbd03219196dd61dd9b05d1.gif

yeah thats what i meant, i might just save myself 100$ and just get a portable i still have 221 gb from the 250 hd and ive had it for a while 
laugh.gif

i read you loose battery life going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm 

You do but it's nothing major. The speed increase is worth the small hit. Your fan may spin faster at times too, to compensate for the faster drive running hotter 

Im getting a 40GB Intel SSD. Is that enough space to install the OS? I plan on getting an external hard drive for most of my stuff.

Originally Posted by Icecixz

Im getting a 40GB Intel SSD. Is that enough space to install the OS? I plan on getting an external hard drive for most of my stuff.
Yeah, that should be plenty. I have a 64gb SSD and I'm doing fine. You will be left with probably 25-30gb maybe, if my memory serves me correct.

How do you guys hook up your xbox via Ethernet to your macbook pro to use it as a "wireless adapter" ???
currently i have 100% strength to my wireless network on my macbook and then my xbox is connected to my macbook with ethernet. i cant seem to get the right settings.
ohwell.gif

im looking at guides but they all show the old xbox dashboard and those settings dont work...

Originally Posted by Retroisback2008

Originally Posted by AusZero

click the apple logo, then about this mac, then more info, then scroll to power

or you can download coconut battery
any of y'all know the warranty of the Macbook?
ojne year from date of purchase, three with Applecare. Or you can opt for a third party warranty like Squaretrade

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Getting a macbook pro, 300 used. [/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]It's in great shape but i don't know what specs or anything i might need. Anyone with a quick rundown that would be a HUGE help, 300+ pages is a lot to search through.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I've been a PC/Windows person for a very long time and am quite knowledgeable with that. But seeing as i'm mostly using things more for entertainment purposes i figured i would make the switch to a mac.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]huge thanks in advance. [/color]

Originally Posted by 23MichaelJordan45

Originally Posted by Icecixz

Yeah, that should be plenty. I have a 64gb SSD and I'm doing fine. You will be left with probably 25-30gb maybe, if my memory serves me correct.
Thanks for your help. I have one more question. I have a 2011 MBP 13, will the 510 SSD work?

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]OK NT.... pretty much relying on you.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Previous question and also...[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Plugged in my external hard drive. all files showed up except all of my movies.... did anyone have this problem and how do i fix it? Google isn't helpful at the moment.[/color]

Originally Posted by im that one

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]OK NT.... pretty much relying on you.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Previous question and also...[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Plugged in my external hard drive. all files showed up except all of my movies.... did anyone have this problem and how do i fix it? Google isn't helpful at the moment.[/color]
what kind of files are the movies? how big are they?
As for your previous post, your needs depend on what you use your computer for
Microsoft Office
Adium as an IM Client
Candybar to modify the look of your system
Flux
Transmission
UnRarX
VLC Player

My school's wifi requires a cisco/java download to access internet on my macbook pro but I want to bring my ipad to my classes anyone know of a way to work around this

Also recommendations for privacy screen for 15" macbook pro

Originally Posted by QueenCitySneakerQueen

My school's wifi requires a cisco/java download to access internet on my macbook pro but I want to bring my ipad to my classes anyone know of a way to work around this
<

use a virtual desktop so you can just access whatever is on your computer screen on your iPad. This still requires you to be on the same network on both devices though, unless you can enable port fowarding through one of those remote apps

Back
Top Bottom