The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by YUNG FLiP iMAGE

Mac fam, I have a fallen 2010 MacBook Pro. 
tired.gif

Woke up this morning and turned it on. Loaded a dim white screen and a few moments later, a grey folder icon with a "?" flashes. Took it to Apple and my hard drive is basically dead and I lost everything, as they said.

Anyone else experience this? Please tell me something good in terms of recovering all of my data.

It's never been dropped or abused. 
ohwell.gif
well sir, i am sorry to inform you, everything is gone. 
frown.gif

only option(s):

buy a hard-drive and install. 

or 

sell it, and buy a new one. 

happened to me. 
embarassed.gif
frown.gif

Had it happen to me. They were able to recover everything and replaced my hd as well. Had it covered under AppleCare though.

Originally Posted by YUNG FLiP iMAGE

Mac fam, I have a fallen 2010 MacBook Pro. 
tired.gif

Woke up this morning and turned it on. Loaded a dim white screen and a few moments later, a grey folder icon with a "?" flashes. Took it to Apple and my hard drive is basically dead and I lost everything, as they said.

Anyone else experience this? Please tell me something good in terms of recovering all of my data.

It's never been dropped or abused. 
ohwell.gif
Same thing happened to mine. If you turn it on and press+hold T, it will enter "Target Disk Mode". Get another Mac, and connect it to that one via FireWire (it only works with FW), and you can retrieve your old information. 

Originally Posted by bjamez20

Had it happen to me. They were able to recover everything and replaced my hd as well. Had it covered under AppleCare though.

"They" as in Apple, I'm assuming?
Good look on the responses everyone. I really hope I can get my data back. That's really all of my life on there. 
frown.gif

Yo I got a question (not that tech savy) my Mac book pro is like 5 years old and still running 4.1 tiger. Can I just upgrade straight to snow leopard 6 skipping leopard 5?

Do you have it backed up on a hd? If you do then yea, it's easy to make the jump just wipe your hd and boot from the snow leopard disc. Just make sure you have enough RAM for the new OS before you erase your hd.

Why not go to lion though?

I'm gonna be making the jump to a mac pro whenever the new ones drop, probably summer. Debating whether I should go for another ACD with it, or just stick with one. Currently use an iMac and ACD and it might be weird going to one screen.

^Nice.

What program are you guys using for changing the dock? I used to mess with Dockulicious, but their site doesn't work anymore
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by JUS3

^Nice.

What program are you guys using for changing the dock? I used to mess with Dockulicious, but their site doesn't work anymore
30t6p3b.gif
I use Docker and it gets the job done for the most part..

http://download.cnet.com/...3000-18487_4-175638.html

dimez81 - Nice SSD and read/write speeds; I have a 64GB SSD (I went cheap on the first one
laugh.gif
) and it is a beast and I do not think I can ever go back to a regular HDD.  I plan on selling my current MBP to upgrade to a MBA when the new ones drop.

Where can i get a deal on microsoft office and photoshop? apple store was selling em for $499 
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Bee GoT GaMe 23

Where can i get a deal on microsoft office and photoshop? apple store was selling em for $499 
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

wink.gif
 pm if u need help

Hey guys, say I wanted to stream a video from my iPhone to my PS3 from an app. For example, if I'm in my NBA.tv app and I'm watching a game, is it possible to stream it to my PS3 so I can watch it on my tv?

So I got snow leopard to upgrade from lion buy my computer is saying it can't be installed because I don't have enough ram. How can I clear some ram space? I tried deleting some files but that didn't work. Help please!

Originally Posted by xCautioNx

So I got snow leopard to upgrade from lion buy my computer is saying it can't be installed because I don't have enough ram. How can I clear some ram space? I tried deleting some files but that didn't work. Help please!

You need to buy and replace the ram you have in your current macbook. So you might have 512mb/1GB and now u need at least 2GB which is the requirement to use snow leopard. But its best to just max it out to 4GB of ram.

What Macbook model you have?

deleting won't do nothing, smh.

Originally Posted by NC23

Hey guys, say I wanted to stream a video from my iPhone to my PS3 from an app. For example, if I'm in my NBA.tv app and I'm watching a game, is it possible to stream it to my PS3 so I can watch it on my tv?

What you want to do is basically mirror image whats on your "APPLE" iPhone to your "SONY" PS3 hmmmmm.....think about it, then smack yourself. It can't be done that way.

Now if you have a iPhone4S and only the iPhone4S model can do this, you'll have to buy the "APPLE TV" that will allow you to mirror image whatever is on you iPhone4S to the apple tv wirelessly.

Lol me too.

it looks good tho its not that bad.

i just hope they dont make my macbook function the same as an ipad or iphone. they should be different
how do we update? is it just going to pop via the software update??

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

You need to buy and replace the ram you have in your current macbook. So you might have 512mb/1GB and now u need at least 2GB which is the requirement to use snow leopard. But its best to just max it out to 4GB of ram.

Model Name:    MacBook Pro 15"
  Model Identifier:    MacBookPro1,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core Duo
  Processor Speed:    2 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache (per processor):    2 MB
  Memory:    512 MB
  Bus Speed:    667 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:    MBP11.0055.B08

yea I figured deleting files wouldn't do anything
laugh.gif
... I used to be a lot more tech savy too... thanks for the response. Do you know how much the new ram will cost?

laugh.gif
... I used to be a lot more tech savy too... thanks for the response. Do you know how much the new ram will cost?

Looks Like you might only be able to max it too 2gb of ram, from 512MB you'll notice a big difference in speed when launching apps and browsing the web.

The Ram you need

All ready did search for you for how much you'll need to spend. Personally I like Kingston ram but you can't go wrong with crucial or g.skill now you'll see something called Cas latency 4 and 5 ehhhh..lower is better "4" but performance wise you might not even see it but the better one is 4 but by a margin of like 1%.

Yep I just saw the news for Mountain Lion, but I'm not paying for that for repackage features from an iPad to a Mac.....Sell me software Performance innovations like battery life, reduce cpu/gpu usage etc...then they can have my $$$ other than i I'm not paying for it
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by oidreez

wow at 512 mb of ram. check amazon or newegg.com

thanks bro, just ordered 8GB of ram off newegg for $50
pimp.gif
*edit* so the 8gb won't work for me? !$$%.... I need to contact customer service on newegg and change my order to the 2GB????

laugh.gif

Looks Like you might only be able to max it too 2gb of ram, from 512MB you'll notice a big difference in speed when launching apps and browsing the web.

The Ram you need

All ready did search for you for how much you'll need to spend. Personally I like Kingston ram but you can't go wrong with crucial or g.skill now you'll see something called Cas latency 4 and 5 ehhhh..lower is better "4" but performance wise you might not even see it but the better one is 4 but by a margin of like 1%.

Yep I just saw the news for Mountain Lion, but I'm not paying for that for repackage features from an iPad to a Mac.....Sell me software Performance innovations like battery life, reduce cpu/gpu usage etc...then they can have my $$$ other than i I'm not paying for it
nerd.gif
thnx a lot for the help, you just saved me more hassle lol...

pimp.gif
*edit* so the 8gb won't work for me? @$*@.... I need to contact customer service on newegg and change my order to the 2GB????

oppps my bad and its actually 6gb u need a 4GB stick and 2gb stick.

Correct info

your mac looks like this right?
mbp-non-uni-body.jpg

If you gonna go 4gb and 2gb stick make sure its the same brand and same type of ram in terms of the spec sheet. If you don't you'll have kernel panic and performance will be shotty.

sorry for the incorrect info.

pimp.gif
*edit* so the 8gb won't work for me? @$*@.... I need to contact customer service on newegg and change my order to the 2GB????

oppps my bad and its actually 6gb u need a 4GB stick and 2gb stick.

Correct info

your mac looks like this right?
mbp-non-uni-body.jpg

If you gonna go 4gb and 2gb stick make sure its the same brand and same type of ram in terms of the spec sheet. If you don't you'll have kernel panic and performance will be shotty.

sorry for the incorrect info.

%$+!... I just cancelled my 1st order and orered the 2gb...
roll.gif
wow I'm having no luck with this. I think I might be okay with the 2gb, I got my mac book pro in early 06. It might be maxed out at 2.

Back
Top Bottom