The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Ive read rumors of a thin LED Touch display taking over the top row of keys. Pause/Play all touch with the screen showing the song played etc. May look like this

Multi-tasking fam. Working on a project, nothing like actually working on one and doing some research on the other.

Or two full-screen videos of your favorite actress or actresses.

Both win-win situations. :lol:  

yup I have 3 monitors and low key was thinking about adding a 4th (2 external and 15 in mbp currently)

Too many monitors :lol:

I don't think my eyes could handle 4 monitors. Especially with the crazy 3-4 34inch setups I've seen :x

Ive read rumors of a thin LED Touch display taking over the top row of keys. Pause/Play all touch with the screen showing the song played etc. May look like this
Cool, but gimmicky. How useful can that possibly be? It'll probably just drain the battery faster than Retina already does :lol:.

Last edited:
True. But it is cool to have the song playing name and title there, maybe the weather, sport scores or you text come across that lil screen like a news ticker....but you know what they say every year....better battery life!

That would be a good feature for the wireless keyboards

Even though I just bought the newest one a few weeks back :smh:

Grabbed a 2011 MBP for $180, and spent another 100 and threw in a 240gb SSD and 8gb of ram.   Even with El Capitan it runs like a top.   Besides the usual everyday applications like Word and such, what are some useful things to install?  Already have Flux, Caffine, and AppCleaner.    Open to anything.   Also, where can I get some cool icons?  Lol.   Thanks guys. 

I'm going to wait for the new MBPs. Still sitting on my '08 MBP and I just got a free fully loaded MB Air, just some keys are super worn out and I have to buy a charger. I'll probably end up selling it within the next few months.

Grabbed a 2011 MBP for $180, and spent another 100 and threw in a 240gb SSD and 8gb of ram.   Even with El Capitan it runs like a top.   Besides the usual everyday applications like Word and such, what are some useful things to install?  Already have Flux, Caffine, and AppCleaner.    Open to anything.   Also, where can I get some cool icons?  Lol.   Thanks guys. 

Where you find that?

Quote:
Where you find that?
Got it off someone who bought a MBP Retina and was looking to unload it.  Even at their original asking price of 200 bucks I thought it was a deal, but couldnt help but haggle down to 180
laugh.gif
   But yea this thing is solid, and way more zippy that I thought it would be.  Very happy with it. 

Any apps/widgets/utilities you guys think are useful?  As mentioned before I have stuff like caffeine, flux and app cleaner.  Thanks. 

Quote:
Got it off someone who bought a MBP Retina and was looking to unload it.  Even at their original asking price of 200 bucks I thought it was a deal, but couldnt help but haggle down to 180 :lol:    But yea this thing is solid, and way more zippy that I thought it would be.  Very happy with it. 

Any apps/widgets/utilities you guys think are useful?  As mentioned before I have stuff like caffeine, flux and app cleaner.  Thanks. 

Killer deal. You can buy a USB 4.0 bluetooth, if you have an iOS device. Lets you use continuity, which is useful for me. Those USB 4.0 devices are pretty cheap on amazon, and usually tiny.

Killer deal. You can buy a USB 4.0 bluetooth, if you have an iOS device. Lets you use continuity, which is useful for me. Those USB 4.0 devices are pretty cheap on amazon, and usually tiny.
Nice, thanks.  I'm totally in the iOS/MacOS ecosystem so that should be good.  Wasnt even aware of bt4.0, still thought 3.0 was the standard lol. 

Just installed an Mac/iOS app called "Pocket" which lets you save webpages/article etc for offline viewing.  A must if you travel a lot, and/or know youre gonnabe without wifi somewhere. 

Last edited:
Nice, thanks.  I'm totally in the iOS/MacOS ecosystem so that should be good.  Wasnt even aware of bt4.0, still thought 3.0 was the standard lol. 

Just installed an Mac/iOS app called "Pocket" which lets you save webpages/article etc for offline viewing.  A must if you travel a lot, and/or know youre gonnabe without wifi somewhere. 

Hyperdock is a great app for osx. Gives osx the snap window management. Very useful if you're used to needing multiple windows.

Quote:
Got it off someone who bought a MBP Retina and was looking to unload it.  Even at their original asking price of 200 bucks I thought it was a deal, but couldnt help but haggle down to 180 :lol:    But yea this thing is solid, and way more zippy that I thought it would be.  Very happy with it. 

Was this on Craiglist?

My 2011 MBP is on its last leg. I'm really trying not to upgrade now like most you guys and waiting for a new model.

The heaviest thing I do on it is very light Photoshop.

I think my macbook pro is like a 2012 ish. No lie, most I use this thing for is pron, and surfing the web, occasionally stream on Netflix.

I don't think my internet is the problem because the speedtest has it at anywhere from 85-89 Mbps with like 5Mbps for upload. Also my cousin has a desktop and has no problem with the internet. Basically, within the past two weeks, my macbook has gotten REALLY slow with anything pron related. Literally only pron related things :lol:

I reset everything on it and was downloading things like Spotify and man, it's not downloading right away and other small things related to internet connection. idk what to do, not computer savy at all.

if anybody knows what I can do, let me know.

Last edited:
I think my macbook pro is like a 2012 ish. No lie, most I use this thing for is pron, and surfing the web, occasionally stream on Netflix.

I don't think my internet is the problem because the speedtest has it at anywhere from 85-89 Mbps with like 5Mbps for upload. Also my cousin has a desktop and has no problem with the internet. Basically, within the past two weeks, my macbook has gotten REALLY slow with anything pron related. Literally only pron related things
laugh.gif

I reset everything on it and was downloading things like Spotify and man, it's not downloading right away and other small things related to internet connection. idk what to do, not computer savy at all.

if anybody knows what I can do, let me know.
Do you still have a regular hard drive? It might be worth looking into an SSD if you do. Also, how much ram are you working with?

^ pr0n works the best on the mac though since it dont get viruses... and ya i want to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading... but my 2011 macbook pro is still running strong... got 16gb of ram so multitasking on that thing is so flawless :pimp:

^ pr0n works the best on the mac though since it dont get viruses... and ya i want to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading... but my 2011 macbook pro is still running strong... got 16gb of ram so multitasking on that thing is so flawless :pimp:

This, even-though its not completely true. You can get viruses, but they need your permission to download to your computer. So if you do get one that means you have entered your password and allowed the virus to download and infect your computer.

I'm running an early 2011 and I upgraded to 16gb of ram and 500gb hd. Pr0n is so much beater.

Cleared a few things off the table + my struggle cable management job

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BRkbAVFwhsA

Looking to get a new desk. Thinking about an Ikea countertop and the Bezant legs in black

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90252908/#/30252906

Setup looks amazing as usual! That a HK sub only? or are there speakers as well?

Finally updated my mac mini late 2012. 16gb RAM and a 1.25tb Fusion drive. :smoking

Not to sell my monitors and get a ultra wide or 1440p monitor.

Thanks fam :smokin

But yeah it's just a single HK Aura with no extra speakers. Sounds really good. Fills up a room even at low volume

I'm looking at he Mac Mini as a 2nd pc, would it be better to get the older model? Is it true they've got the faster processor?

I like messing around with GeekTools and some of the stuff you make with that program. 

Download - http://projects.tynsoe.org/en/geektool/download.php

Geeklets (Scripts) to use - http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/geeklets/
Hyperdock is a great app for osx. Gives osx the snap window management. Very useful if you're used to needing multiple windows.
Hadn't heard of Hyperdock but it has a bunch of features along with it. I think I like the preview when hovering over an app feature even more than the window snapping, haha.

I am using a free one but I cant remember the name of it. I thought it was like iSnap or something like that but it returned something different. 

Also, I didn't realize El Capitan brought split screen natively to OSX either: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/use-os-x-el-capitans-new-split-screen-mode

I recently picked up a 27" iMac (core i5, 32gb RAM, 1TB fusion drive) from my friend who wanted to move back to a laptop. It is the thin model but the one right before the 5k resolution screens. The screen is still 
nthat.gif
on this when coming from my 2011 MBP. Selling my MBP to my other friend who had been looking at laptops since he is going back to school. Going to miss my OG bae 
embarassed.gif

Last edited:
Having issues with Word 2016 for Mac, figured I may as well try here. I'm using downloaded fonts that have worked perfectly fine in Mac 2011 but now in word in office for Mac 2016 the text will only show up in bold, even though the text drop down is showing the option for regular. When I click regular if does nothing and stays selected with the bold font (bold icon is not highlighted". I have validated, resolved duplicates, reinstalled etc. to no avail. Anyone by any stroke of luck have a solution?

Thanks fam :smokin

But yeah it's just a single HK Aura with no extra speakers. Sounds really good. Fills up a room even at low volume

I'm looking at he Mac Mini as a 2nd pc, would it be better to get the older model? Is it true they've got the faster processor?

Yo that HK Aura is too dope. I just looked it up. May be a good option, since i've been looking for a nice compact speaker.

I would say it depends on what you want the mini to accomplish. I have a late 2012 maxed out, that I was able to do fairly cheap since you can upgrade it on your own. The Quad core is faster when using all cores vs the newer i7s on the mini's. I believe with single core tasks though the newer mini has it beat. Not exactly sure.

I think depending on what you plan to do with it, the older model works perfect for everything I need. I don't do too much photo or video processing with it, but i can just not as fast and efficient. Works great as a stand a lone desktop for most daily tasks though.

Back
Top Bottom