The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

laugh.gif
I had to check the invoice, it was upgraded to 16GB. I had no idea where I got 64 from.
roll.gif

I was about to say.

I think the older MBP like that are maxed at 16gb, iMacs are 32gb and the newer iMacs finally are 64gb supported I believe. 

So those who have been working/ living with the new MacBook

Do you guys recommend the

new no touchbar
New touch ba
Or 2015

Last edited:

new no touchbar
New touch ba
Or 2015
Really comes down to personal preference.

I have a non-touch MBP and am very happy with it. I'd recommend it simply based off the battery life compared to a Touch-Bar MBP...But again, it depends on the user's usage.

I didn't find the touch bar necessary for my needs. And I'm not a heavy CPU guy...I simply edit photos, browse, listen to music, or watch videos.

Check out the forums on MacRumors. Some folks have really good insight and some just come of really stupid.

new no touchbar
New touch ba
Or 2015
I just purchased the new 2016 MBP 15in with touchbar a couple days ago. At first I was debating on getting the new 2016 MBP 13in with no touchbar, thinking I didn't need it. After getting to the store I fell in love with the 15in screen more and for the newer 2016 15in the touch bar is there by default. Overall, I like it a lot and the touch bar is really smooth for clicking on emojis, favorite sites, Touch ID, volume sliding, etc. The new space gray color and the sleek and thinner body is definitely an improvement over the 2015. The only thing was the hefty price tag, it's pretty damn expensive. I haven't had a laptop in 2 years and just been bumming it on my iPhone or old iPad, so it was worth the investment for me to make the purchase so I can get a real computer to get work done. 

Last edited:
My uses will be ux and graphic design. So I'll be using sketch and adobe.

Not as intensive as editing music, photos, or videos I think

The thing that's holding me back from going all in on the new one is the lack of ports and cost

My uses will be ux and graphic design. So I'll be using sketch and adobe.

Not as intensive as editing music, photos, or videos I think

The thing that's holding me back from going all in on the new one is the lack of ports and cost
The 2015 model is still a solid choice, IMO. I was heavily debating on going that route, but fell in love with the Space Gray color and the keyboard.

I get your concern on lack of ports. But there are some companies that have already created USB-C Hubs that people have seen some success in using.

Check it out in person and read up on all your options...If price plays a big factor...Consider the 2015 MBP...Nothing wrong with going that route.

Is the mid 2014 or 2015 mbp the last version where the ram and hard drive are up-gradable by the user?

Is the mid 2014 or 2015 mbp the last version where the ram and hard drive are up-gradable by the user?
mid 2012 I believe... I believe in 2012 they released both a retina non upgradable mbp and a also a mbp where you can upgrade it (non retina_)

mid 2012 I believe... I believe in 2012 they released both a retina non upgradable mbp and a also a mbp where you can upgrade it (non retina_)

Dang since mine is a 2011 was hoping for more of an upgrade with an updated chip. Might have to go the imac route if those are up-gradable.

For those of you with the newer macs with the USB-C ports, how do you like them? Are they annoying or convenient?

We just got 10 newish macbook pros ( not touchbar) and bought Hoo Too Adapters for them. I have the option of trading in my 2013 Macbook Air for the Pro. My question is, my air perfectly suits my needs for now, I keep it light and don't really need much processing power currently, thus can't really justify a "need" to switch. But considering I am the one who assigns employees computers at my office :lol:, I effectively have first dibs.

Definitely a first world problem for me, but just wondering if my current setup suits me well (in regards to monitor setup, keyboards, mice, etc)., am i going to be annoyed transitioning over to the USB-C or is it really not that big of a deal?

tried out the new macbook with the touchbar and it is really cool and the trackpad is huge... i actually like it but i would pass just because it has like 1 or 2 ports... still cant get over that and yes i know about the dongles but its just unnecessary

tried out the new macbook with the touchbar and it is really cool and the trackpad is huge... i actually like it but i would pass just because it has like 1 or 2 ports... still cant get over that and yes i know about the dongles but its just unnecessary
The 13" non-touch MBP only has two USB-C ports. The 13" & 15" TB models have 4 USB-C ports.

If the touchbar 13" was cheaper, it would've been an instacopped :lol: But I cant justify paying that price although I love having the newest tech

For those of you with the newer macs with the USB-C ports, how do you like them? Are they annoying or convenient?

We just got 10 newish macbook pros ( not touchbar) and bought Hoo Too Adapters for them. I have the option of trading in my 2013 Macbook Air for the Pro. My question is, my air perfectly suits my needs for now, I keep it light and don't really need much processing power currently, thus can't really justify a "need" to switch. But considering I am the one who assigns employees computers at my office
laugh.gif
, I effectively have first dibs.

Definitely a first world problem for me, but just wondering if my current setup suits me well (in regards to monitor setup, keyboards, mice, etc)., am i going to be annoyed transitioning over to the USB-C or is it really not that big of a deal?
I've had my 13" non-touch bar since November and am very happy with the purchase. I currently use the Digital AV dongle to utilize the original USB port for my mouse or external HD. A quick fix is to purchase a usb-c cable for my external HD to connect directly to the cpu or purchase a hub. 

I probably go with a hub in the near future, but I'm waiting to see if there are some reliable hub options that have good reviews.

Battery life on the non-TB is really good. I could get about 7-10 hours of battery usage using Safari, Lightroom, Spotify and Tweetdeck. I heard that the TB models have had some inconsistent battery life from different users. But again, that depends on the users usage.

You may get annoyed with the lack of ports, but there are hubs that make everything work fine. Especially for the peripherals that you listed above.

Also, the 2015 model is still a solid option. You'd save some money too if ports is a major selling point for you.

If the touchbar 13" was cheaper, it would've been an instacopped
laugh.gif
But I cant justify paying that price although I love having the newest tech
Yeah, the price is up there for the touch model. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Decided to keep my Late 2012 Mac Mini. I just help my work update our new online based database. Used to be on Access only, so windows was the only option. Now we can use MacOS as work stations :smokin

This thing has been sitting forever, but it still runs buttery smooth even after updating to the new OS. Missed this side.

Anyone know if there's going to be an imac refresh coming soon? I know cook may have slightly mentioned it a while ago but was wondering if there's anything concrete out there.

Anyone know if there's going to be an imac refresh coming soon? I know cook may have slightly mentioned it a while ago but was wondering if there's anything concrete out there.
Nothing concrete, but there are rumors floating around.

I caught myself looking at pre-owned iMacs to edit photos.
mean.gif
 Don't even need or have the space for it.

Nothing concrete, but there are rumors floating around.

I caught myself looking at pre-owned iMacs to edit photos.:smh:  Don't even need or have the space for it.

This is the exact reason I'm looking for one. Been looking on craigslist and found a few good deals but I want the upgraded chip and a flash drive.

My 2011 MBP is running a bit slow now.

Anyone else's dock staying visible when they go to full screen?

I updated to macOS Sierra 10.12.3 earlier this week and ever since then, whenever I go to fullscreen, the dock is still visible.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I went to System Preferences > Mission Control > Un-clicked "Displays have separate Spaces", which temporarily fixed it, but when I logged on the next day, the problem came up again.

Should I cop the newest 15 inch MBP fully spaced out? Cost is somewhere near 5k. Im currently on a base model early 2015 MBA lol

Anyone else's dock staying visible when they go to full screen?

I updated to macOS Sierra 10.12.3 earlier this week and ever since then, whenever I go to fullscreen, the dock is still visible.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I went to System Preferences > Mission Control > Un-clicked "Displays have separate Spaces", which temporarily fixed it, but when I logged on the next day, the problem came up again.
Do you see the dock in every app that goes into full screen? And I know this is a dumb question, but are you really going into full screen?
laugh.gif

I work in full-screen all the time and my dock always disappears.
Should I cop the newest 15 inch MBP fully spaced out? Cost is somewhere near 5k. Im currently on a base model early 2015 MBA lol
Do you need all the specs of the newest MBP? Also, do you really need to buy the new MBP since your MBA is pretty new?

IMO, I would wait to see what Apple does with the refresh. No need to drop money on it.

Anyone with the new MBPs have good options for a sleeve or case? Incase has yet to release a case that  fits the new models.

Back
Top Bottom