The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Originally Posted by Hop

@solarius49

Was planning on applying to be an officer after being enlisted for about a year and a half (to finish up college...) 
I'm pretty sure you would have to do atleast 3 years to get there.  And unless you're going to be a reservist, you should talk to somebody to see how much time you would have to work on college during your 1st couple years.  Bc (I'm a Marine, not an airman) I know in my 1st few years the amount of downtime I had was pretty minimal

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

Originally Posted by solarius49

well i come from a medical background (CNA, LPN school) so id figure to try something i have experience in.

i heard male corpsman are very likely to be deployed and be in the field with the marines. is that true?
Yes that is true.  But it should be said that all corpsman will spend sometime working with Marines.  They usually do 2 years blue side (in a Naval Hospital), and 2 years green side (working with Marines).  But even when they are with us, they get treated better than most Marines, because we need them so much.  But with your CNA background you shouldnt have too big a problem
also, being with Marines doesnt mean you would end up with an infantry unit.  I know Corpsman who are in helicopter crews, tank crews (dope job for corpsman), Light Armored Vehicles (LAV's) , Amphibious Armored Vehicles (AAV's), Recon, ect
i actually want to work with an infantry unit
laugh.gif

so do they spend times on the ships? and whats the possibility of getting stationed at a hospital overseas because i really wanna do the overseas thing (hence why im thinking about the AF)
solarius49 thank you for speaking in high regards of Corpsman.

ME NO PASS if you want PM me. I am a Corpsman and I've been in 7 years and am a HM1 (E6) and that is most def because of the Marine unit i was with for 3 years, they made me who i am and i even got combat meritoriously promoted with them

Navy Recruiter called me last week and asked if i was interested in joining the Navy .....i said yeah....15 years ago 
laugh.gif
, she was 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
embarassed.gif
embarassed.gif
because my name and number still on there database...i told her i did my time in the service already in the Marine Corps. She asked how i liked it ..i told her its one of the best choices i ever made in my life, she was
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
and said she doesn't get that alot and said people offend said they hated it...too this day i walk around with my marine corps. swagger., i had some of my best memories in life traveling and meeting folks from different part of the world, and learned alot from my time in the corps.

Whatever service you join, once you set your foot on the painted foot print, you just gotta go in with an open mind and suck in as much knowledge as possible, take in as much training ...you'll be surprise how much all of that comes in handy once you get discharge into the civilian world....and just enjoy it, don't be a barrack rat and just hate life ...if you do that, your time in the service gonna suck.

Yes that is true.  But it should be said that all corpsman will spend sometime working with Marines.  They usually do 2 years blue side (in a Naval Hospital), and 2 years green side (working with Marines).  But even when they are with us, they get treated better than most Marines, because we need them so much.  But with your CNA background you shouldnt have too big a problem
also, being with Marines doesnt mean you would end up with an infantry unit.  I know Corpsman who are in helicopter crews, tank crews (dope job for corpsman), Light Armored Vehicles (LAV's) , Amphibious Armored Vehicles (AAV's), Recon, ect
laugh.gif

so do they spend times on the ships? and whats the possibility of getting stationed at a hospital overseas because i really wanna do the overseas thing (hence why im thinking about the AF)
Im pretty sure you can volunteer to go to a grunt unit.  Im a grunt, and Ive had a chance to work with some really highly decorated corpsman.  But a good thing about the Navy/Marines is that we deploy on ships pretty often.  This last deployment we trained in Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Djbouti and Saudi Arabia...but we got liberty in Dubai, Thailand, Australia, Guam and Hawaii

jrdnsrnss check your PMs
Im an actual Corpsman. As far as being with the marines or going to a hospital its mostly up to you. Most Corpsman go to hospitals just beccuase they require more people. Right now alot of us that want to go greenside arent able to becuase they already have alot people. Some people stay greenside there whole careers and some stay at hospitals. As far as ships go its pretty rare for us unless you have some sort of extra training such as pharmacy or radiology tech. general duty Corpsman on a ship is pretty darn rare. Im at a hospital right now and my next duty station is a hospital.  

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

I was pursuing a firefighting career a few years ago and they all start by being EMT's. I took an EMT class and did ride alongs and stuff but decided it wasn't for me. Don't know how the firefighting program in the military works but i'm sure your gonna have to get licensed as an EMT. All firefighters, at least here in California, need to be trained as EMT's before they can become a firefighter.

here in florida also, its also better if I become a paramedic.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Well I would suggest doing your time before trying to figure out what you want to do afterwards...
But I get out in 3 months, and I have tons of options, everybody is trying to get out and be a firefighter or a cop, I'm taking that GI Bill and putting it to good use and going back to school.

I want to go to school to become a fire fighter now but I would like to join the armed forces and get the experience and training. Plus it look great on a resume. I get you tho because who knows if I decide to change my mind afterwards, but I kinda dont want to throw myself into any job either.
What kind of job should I be looking for that will help me towards my goal of becoming a fire fighter? 
Crash Fire Rescue
will look into this, thanks

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

Well I would suggest doing your time before trying to figure out what you want to do afterwards...
But I get out in 3 months, and I have tons of options, everybody is trying to get out and be a firefighter or a cop, I'm taking that GI Bill and putting it to good use and going back to school.

I want to go to school to become a fire fighter now but I would like to join the armed forces and get the experience and training. Plus it look great on a resume. I get you tho because who knows if I decide to change my mind afterwards, but I kinda dont want to throw myself into any job either.
What kind of job should I be looking for that will help me towards my goal of becoming a fire fighter? 

....look for something in Emergency Management, something along the lines of an EMT would help too.
 looking to do this also, they have aerospace medical service and I can challenge the national registry of EMT exam after Im done with the training

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

I was pursuing a firefighting career a few years ago and they all start by being EMT's. I took an EMT class and did ride alongs and stuff but decided it wasn't for me. Don't know how the firefighting program in the military works but i'm sure your gonna have to get licensed as an EMT. All firefighters, at least here in California, need to be trained as EMT's before they can become a firefighter.

here in florida also, its also better if I become a paramedic.

Crash Fire Rescue
will look into this, thanks

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

....look for something in Emergency Management, something along the lines of an EMT would help too.
 looking to do this also, they have aerospace medical service and I can challenge the national registry of EMT exam after Im done with the training

Im stationed In Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (please no Harold and Kumar jokes) and I work in the ER here. They hospital paid for an EMT class for the staff in the ER so I have been a nationaly registered EMT for over a year now.

After high school i contemplated joining the Marines or Airforce, at that time my current home situation didnt allow me to do so.
i went the community college route and on my way to a associates degree in mechanical engineering.
Now im thinking about enlisting, what would that associates degree do for me if i enlist now?

Originally Posted by maicolkickhead

After high school i contemplated joining the Marines or Airforce, at that time my current home situation didnt allow me to do so.
i went the community college route and on my way to a associates degree in mechanical engineering.
Now im thinking about enlisting, what would that associates degree do for me if i enlist now?
As far as having an associates it won't do much, it will however start you off at a better rank. Instead of starting at an E1 you start at an E3. Higher rank and better pay right out of the gate.

Originally Posted by maicolkickhead

in the airforce, having an associates instantly gives you e3/a1c pay and rank even with a 4 year enlistment

Navy Advancement results are out. Congrats to those who picked up.

BTW
I was one of them:]
Finally picked up E-6
insert Philgoodman.Gif

Originally Posted by bobby99son

laugh.gif

Im pretty sure you can volunteer to go to a grunt unit.  Im a grunt, and Ive had a chance to work with some really highly decorated corpsman.  But a good thing about the Navy/Marines is that we deploy on ships pretty often.  This last deployment we trained in Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Djbouti and Saudi Arabia...but we got liberty in Dubai, Thailand, Australia, Guam and Hawaii

jrdnsrnss check your PMs
Im an actual Corpsman. As far as being with the marines or going to a hospital its mostly up to you. Most Corpsman go to hospitals just beccuase they require more people. Right now alot of us that want to go greenside arent able to becuase they already have alot people. Some people stay greenside there whole careers and some stay at hospitals. As far as ships go its pretty rare for us unless you have some sort of extra training such as pharmacy or radiology tech. general duty Corpsman on a ship is pretty darn rare. Im at a hospital right now and my next duty station is a hospital.  
the 3 corpsman that I had, did 2 years blue side and 2 greenside...is that not how they do it anymore? or more of a special circumstance?

jrdnsrnss check your PMs
the 3 corpsman that I had, did 2 years blue side and 2 greenside...is that not how they do it anymore? or more of a special circumstance?

Ill be honest im only in my second year. the only reason I can think of them doing it that way is becuase in the navy they try and have sailors on 3 year shore and 3 year sea duty rotation. Its harder for us becuase we rarely get ships so when we get attached to marine units that counts as our sea duty. But lately its getting harder and harder for us to get those billets with the marines. I have a few friends that have tried multiple times to orders with marines only to become needs of the navy and get shore duty orders to a hospital. I think its becuase alot of people who want to spec ops or seals but dont meet the qualifacations pick Corpsman becuase they still get to go with the marines.

Ill be honest im only in my second year. the only reason I can think of them doing it that way is becuase in the navy they try and have sailors on 3 year shore and 3 year sea duty rotation. Its harder for us becuase we rarely get ships so when we get attached to marine units that counts as our sea duty. But lately its getting harder and harder for us to get those billets with the marines. I have a few friends that have tried multiple times to orders with marines only to become needs of the navy and get shore duty orders to a hospital. I think its becuase alot of people who want to spec ops or seals but dont meet the qualifacations pick Corpsman becuase they still get to go with the marines.
My 1st corpsman, Doc Elliot, made it all the way through BUDS, was 2 weeks away from graduating when he broke BOTH of his feet.  They reclassed him and made him a corpsman, he was a beast

man sad to hear alot of yall aint going greenside
30t6p3b.gif
thats what really pushed me to try the navy..i cant get jiggy with hospital crap all day long

man sad to hear alot of yall aint going greenside
30t6p3b.gif
thats what really pushed me to try the navy..i cant get jiggy with hospital crap all day long
You gotta remember, very little of it has to do with individual choice, its more about the needs of the Navy.
Speaking of Navy/Marines, you guys know that the Marines is a subsidiary of the Dept of the Navy

Being so, we only receive 5%...FIVE PERCENT of the Navy's budget.  Not the Dept of Defense budget, 5% of the Navy budget

true navy needs comes first...still kinda bummed though
Yeah, but usually you split your time.  Every corpsman I know (my platoon has had 3 different ones, and there have been probably a dozen in the company) has done 2 years blue side and 2 years green side.  With the Navy cutting down on manpower, there will def be openings to go greenside if thats what you want

I have a 4 year degree and i've been thinking about joining the army as officer, but I was told its tough to go the officer route. I think the recruiter just wanted me to go enlisted. How true is this?

-I also have a girl I plan to marry who doesn't like the idea (doesn't want to move, blah blah...you guys know the story)
-Im currently in the childcare field (many of you probably have heard of CYSS = DoD childcare basically) so Im around service men and women all day
-make roughly 34k
-27 and graduated college in '08.

I like the benefits of the military but have no idea what I want to do still (something technical being that my degree is Science Technology)

the monthly income on the goarmy site is tax free correct?

Originally Posted by Meallen125

I have a 4 year degree and i've been thinking about joining the army as officer, but I was told its tough to go the officer route. I think the recruiter just wanted me to go enlisted. How true is this?

-I also have a girl I plan to marry who doesn't like the idea (doesn't want to move, blah blah...you guys know the story)
-Im currently in the childcare field (many of you probably have heard of CYSS = DoD childcare basically) so Im around service men and women all day
-make roughly 34k
-27 and graduated college in '08.

I like the benefits of the military but have no idea what I want to do still (something technical being that my degree is Science Technology)

the monthly income on the goarmy site is tax free correct?

yes, it is tax free, but it doesnt include any of your other additives (i.e, housing, food, oversea pay, etc.)

Im An FMF Corpsman as well. I dont like hospital settings at all, My first orders was to a hospital, then went greenside (LOVED IT) and now pcs'ed back to a hospital. You have to deal with alot of BS in the hospital and restricted in what you can and cant do medically wise.

PS Finally made HM2 lol, i was close to hitting my HYT.

Back
Top Bottom