The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Originally Posted by solarius49

Exactly, idk how deploying will keep you from being setup when you get out...i get out in 2 months, and Im set up very nicely

And I am not talking about travelling, Im talking about DEPLOYING

I know we dont have any nondeployable MOS's, hell even cooks deploy. I cant be the only one who thinks its ##% backwards to join the military hoping that you never have to deploy?

....i never said deploying will keep you from being setup, im confused as to why you keep saying it. it was you that takes the advice of being smart about your military career  choice as avoiding deployment. in the AF every job doesnt deploy, you deploying has more to do with where you're stationed more-so than the actual MOS.

.....i know you think its %@! backwards, because you're a Marine. thinking exactly they way they want a Marine to think. as stated before NO ONE it talking about a avoiding deployment.

laugh.gif
@ "even cooks deploy", another dead end job if you dont build on it, or goto school to prepare yourself for when you get out.

^ and that right there is the problem. sure, you CAN pick some bull +@$+ job in the military just to pass the time and goto school while in the military to prepare yourself for the future, but it rarely happens. people are too busy living the college life and having fun. next thing they know their enlistment is about to be over, its time to get out, and they have to move back in with mom and dad and start over.

....but hey, dont take my word for it:

Originally Posted by Any Given Sunday89

. [color= rgb(0, 0, 0)]I see it every day in the military people not taking advantage of this golden opportunity they have. Education,[/color] financially, and travel wise.  If your 25 and haven't gone to college or have a dead end job, then I don't know what your waiting for.

....no, not sometimes, EVERYDAY.

....people sign up for the military with the best intentions, only to get out with no more more skills than the job the military taught them to do. it is in any young persons best interest to make the most of that career choice before entering the military just in case they do what most people do when they get in the military......NOTHING, nothing but get up and goto work everyday then party.

...im just trying to put people on game. tell them the things about the military most dont think to tell you.

...ive been there done that. went from the military to the civilian side and now working in the federal sector. the only thing that saved me was my good job selection. it allowed me to walk right out of the military after 4 years making $25/hr doing the same thing i was doing in the military.

....let me say this again. NO ONE is saying one job is better than the other. there is nothing wrong with a so-called 'dead-end' job as long as you prepare yourself for life after the military education wise. chances are YOU WONT, so choose you military career wisely.

Originally Posted by Any Given Sunday89

. Getting out with a DD214,

....its comments like this that shows me you guys know a little, but not too much about how things work when you get out.

....everyone gets a DD214. its nothing special. whats on that document is. a DD214 is a document that lists your home of record, ss number,  various other details about you and your time in the military. the most valuable information on your DD214 is your discharge status (Honorable, Dishonorable, or General). many benefits to you as a veteran depend on your discharge status the DD214 is the official document that states it. its also used when you apply for federal jobs.

Well Seasonedvet, I'm not too sure what you mean...I've definitely seen dialogue in this thread talking about "well if you choose that job, you know you might have to deploy right?"

And I'm going to disagree that being a cook is a dead end job. I definitely know guys who were cooks who received licenses as health/food inspectors, so that definitely paid off...but just the fact that you believe that proves my point that everything isnt equal...

And I'm not talking about getting stationed overseas, I'm talking about spending 7 months (or whatever the standard deployment rate is) in a combat zone in support of Operation New Dawn, or whatever the operation du jour is.

I have no problem with the AF, one of my boys was former AF and when he got out he came over and joined the Marines. I've also served with AF EOD (who were horrible tactically, but were REALLY good at their jobs).

Well i resubmitted my application for a medical pre screen to MEPS last week. Get the word tomorrow if they'll allow me to even get a physical. They made me wait a year due to a shoulder injury i had last year which is completely fine now. I was cleared by an orthopedist and i submitted his two page doctors notes clearing me along with the med pre screen. Recruiter said their shouldn't be any issues but i'm still nervous. Really hoping this all works out, i tried to get into the Air Force February 2011 and i'm still not in yet. I'm dying to leave home already and go out into a whole new lifestyle.

Originally Posted by MadDog35

Originally Posted by DBlizzle

Originally Posted by MadDog35

Anyone a Navy Nuke?
nerd.gif

This guy
Do you know any info about Naval Reactors Engineers? Is it hard? What is their main duty? I graduated with a major in mechanical engineering and a minor in nuclear engineering and was considering this career. 

Oh wow, trying to go in as officer I'm assuming than? Lots of the officers go to Goose Creek to get nuke schooling done. I don't know if its hard, unless you have trouble staying awake and standing watch for extended periods of time lol. You should already know most about the field by the sounds of it already
grin.gif

And I'm going to disagree that being a cook is a dead end job. I definitely know guys who were cooks who received licenses as health/food inspectors, so that definitely paid off...but just the fact that you believe that proves my point that everything isnt equal...

....ftr, dead end job  you cant find a job anywhere. the term dead end job speaks to the overall marketability of your career.

...can a cook find a job in the afterlife as a health/food inspector? sure. but ask yourself, how much need is there for a health/food inspector? how many are needed per city? per county? per state? per country? now compare that to say.....a x-ray technician. the medical field is probably the most marketable career you can do in the military. there isnt a place on earth that doenst need health care professionals.

....another example that dead end job  you cant find a job anywhere, taymane23 above is looking into the Aircraft Armament Systems career field (2W1x1), aka AMMO! troop. a job so #%%*@$ they need their own war cry to keep morale up
laugh.gif
. now when an AMMO! troop gets out of the military he can still find work IF he stays near a military type installation. good stable work making pretty okay pay, but not everyone wants to always be stuck having to live near a military installation. to add, these are federal positions that are hard as hell to get in the first place.

....there is nothing wrong with serving your country, but one has to be real with themselves. the military is using you, using every inch of your mind and body up to and including your life if need be. it'd be foolish to not attempt to use the military in return as to set up a better life for yourself and your familty after the military.

...anyone looking to join, do yourself a favor and do research on the marketability of your career BEFORE you pick your job. picking any job available and then trying to bank on going to school once your in isnt smart at all. 

Exactly, idk how deploying will keep you from being setup when you get out...i get out in 2 months, and Im set up very nicely

And I am not talking about travelling, Im talking about DEPLOYING

I know we dont have any nondeployable MOS's, hell even cooks deploy. I cant be the only one who thinks its ##% backwards to join the military hoping that you never have to deploy?

...and then:

And I'm not talking about getting stationed overseas, I'm talking about spending 7 months (or whatever the standard deployment rate is) in a combat zone in support of Operation New Dawn, or whatever the operation du jour is.

....so if one has a dead end job, and ends up gettting deployed for 7 mos+ when exactly are they gonna have time to get that degree to prepare themselves for the outside? right.

...they wouldnt be able to do a one term enlistment to meet those goals thats for sure.

Don't know about other branches but in the ARMY if you haven't deployed you don't get the same respect as someone who has.

And by deployed I mean to a Combat Zone.

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

aircraft armament is not AMMO

...you sure? from what i read, 2W0X1 was merged into ammo.

...in any case what i said still applies.

*EDIT*

...i see 2W0X1 is weapons? is that correct?

...still falls under Munitions & Weapons

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

Don't know about other branches but in the ARMY if you haven't deployed you don't get the same respect as someone who has.

...oh i know, i just didnt want to get into all that with solarius49

....he pointed out the POG reference. now technically a POG mean 'person other than grunt'. but solarius49 didnt mention what Marines and Army guys say POG means amongst themselves.

wow..thats number is crazy

so much stuff i gotta get done gotta get my birth certificate and a non laminated SS card
indifferent.gif

this process is taking longer than i thought
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
, im trying to school you cats.

...its real out here man. who has time to waste 4+ years on a career in a job that you can barely find work in once you get out? be smart people. the gov't is using you, use them back. try your best to pick a military career thats highly marketable and pays well. that way when you get out and you fall in that 97th percent you wont have any worries.

....choosing to goto school once you're already enlisted or after you get out?
....no one is saying you cant
....no one is saying you dont intend to do so
....though, chances are you wont

...be smart.

Has anyone here have asthma and passed MEPS? I've been reading a lot online and there isn't a clear answer as to whether it will get your DQd. I'm thinking of going into Navy btw.

Originally Posted by chueco dtb

Has anyone here have asthma and passed MEPS? I've been reading a lot online and there isn't a clear answer as to whether it will get your DQd. I'm thinking of going into Navy btw.

...i did. though i cant remember if i told them or not. im thinking i didnt, but my asthma wasnt that bad and i hadnt had any issues since i was a kid.

Originally Posted by chueco dtb

even if you're DQed at MEPS you can always get a waiver

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

....he pointed out the POG reference. now technically a POG mean 'person other than grunt'. but solarius49 didnt mention what Marines and Army guys say POG means amongst themselves.

it means "person other than grunt"....

MEPS takes forever to approve a pre screen. Sent a medical pre screen to meps on June 27 and still haven't heard back yet. Not to mention my recruiter has absolutely no skill in returning phone calls or answering texts. Whole process is pissing me off.

Originally Posted by gumsoul410

Anybody in here a military police officer? I talked to a recruit the other day and he suggested I take that route considering my degree once I graduate. Also what are the policies for tattoos? Do they have to be covered by the uniform?

Quoting myself to get an answer. In thinking of getting a tattoo on my forearm but I keep getting conflicting answers.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

it means "person other than grunt"....

grin.gif

....yeah, i bet it does.

I've been out of boot camp for about a month now. Down here in Wichita Falls, TX at Sheppard AFB for "UT" A School. I graduate in October (9th) and officially say that I am a Seabee. HOORAH!

Originally Posted by SoleKid

I've been out of boot camp for about a month now. Down here in Wichita Falls, TX at Sheppard AFB for "UT" A School. I graduate in October (9th) and officially say that I am a Seabee. HOORAH!
ughhh i was there 7 months ago 
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom