The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

what did your Gunner say about packages and letters of recommendation? I just got picked up for CWO (712X) and I'd like to hear what he or she has to say. I took a gamble and didn't submit any letters of recommendation. I hear 50/50 opinions regarding submitting them.

First off congrats!! I'm going for 7361. They are not required. More of icing on the cake. Some of the guys who made them had and some who made them didn't.

My gunner just told me to write to show the board that I have been diverse.

How many packages did you put in if you don't mind me asking?

First off congrats!! I'm going for 7361. They are not required. More of icing on the cake. Some of the guys who made them had and some who made them didn't.

thanks! yeah I heard the same thing about people including them in their packages. I applied once for LDO back in 2008 but this was my first time applying for CWO. some of the feedback on my package was that it actually looked bad that I had over a 7 year gap between applying. the board likes to see consistency by applying year after year. I was actually worried this would hurt my package for the board.

do u follow the future mustang mentorship page and the ldo/cwo community manager page on Facebook? i learned so much just by reading all the posts on there.

thanks! yeah I heard the same thing about people including them in their packages. I applied once for LDO back in 2008 but this was my first time applying for CWO. some of the feedback on my package was that it actually looked bad that I had over a 7 year gap between applying. the board likes to see consistency by applying year after year. I was actually worried this would hurt my package for the board.

do u follow the future mustang mentorship page and the ldo/cwo community manager page on Facebook? i learned so much just by reading all the posts on there.

This was your first CWO package? Damn!!! That's hot bro!

Yeah I'm following the page. There is a LDO/CWO meeting on north island next week. I'll be attending.

When do you commission? Crazy how many of us in the military are on here. Even more navy than anything else it seems.

Last edited:
I've been an aviation ordnanceman for 15 years and I love it. Flight deck is tough. But depending on the job it can be fun.

But best jobs in the navy IMO:

AC: one of the best jobs for transition to civilian sector.
Any Nuke rating: who doesn't want an 80K bonus?

Just depends on what you want.

Better than in healthcare, nursing, etc as an officer?

Just to piggyback on what Chief said. First of all congrats MattMattX! Huge accomplishment!

My Gunner mentioned that even though LOC's aren't required having a top guy in your designation vouching for you puts you at the top, Ned seeing that you put in the time to pick the brains of guys in your specialty to get a grasp of the knowledge they've develop will only help your case. Being diverse in your rating is definitely key as they usually see packages from guys who've just done ship, ship, ship...or F-18's, F-18's, F-18's. You're striving to be the overall SME and the guy who has to answer all of the tough questions and make "those" decisions. Interviews prove that. My Gunner said he had a guy do any interview with him and he threw a scenario at him and the guy couldn't really provide a solution on how he would handle it. It was something like a Sailor not having a FCP set up and couldn't deploy. As a DIVO or DH that's not gonna cut it is what he told me. As he's 7361 designated, I'm positive that goes Navy wide.

A family friend of mine picked up CWO also, she's an ITCS, I don't know what designator they use but she's in Bahrain. Gotta catch up with her when I get there next month.

Just to piggyback on what Chief said. First of all congrats MattMattX! Huge accomplishment!

My Gunner mentioned that even though LOC's aren't required having a top guy in your designation vouching for you puts you at the top, Ned seeing that you put in the time to pick the brains of guys in your specialty to get a grasp of the knowledge they've develop will only help your case. Being diverse in your rating is definitely key as they usually see packages from guys who've just done ship, ship, ship...or F-18's, F-18's, F-18's. You're striving to be the overall SME and the guy who has to answer all of the tough questions and make "those" decisions. Interviews prove that. My Gunner said he had a guy do any interview with him and he threw a scenario at him and the guy couldn't really provide a solution on how he would handle it. It was something like a Sailor not having a FCP set up and couldn't deploy. As a DIVO or DH that's not gonna cut it is what he told me. As he's 7361 designated, I'm positive that goes Navy wide.

A family friend of mine picked up CWO also, she's an ITCS, I don't know what designator they use but she's in Bahrain. Gotta catch up with her when I get there next month.

thanks! also good info regarding the interview and boards. I have a few people at my command that might apply this year for the FY-18 boards, so I'll definitely pass them the info while I help them prepare their packages. the feedback after my interview appraisal board was real good. I didn't really try to nuke it and I answered all the questions straight from the heart. good luck to u when u apply.

This was your first CWO package? Damn!!! That's hot bro!

Yeah I'm following the page. There is a LDO/CWO meeting on north island next week. I'll be attending.

When do you commission? Crazy how many of us in the military are on here. Even more navy than anything else it seems.

if U find out anything good from the ldo/cwo meeting, please pass the info. i commission next June which actually shortens my shore duty tour by a few months. but oh well I'll take it. yeah tons of military cats are on here. we need a low bandwidth version of the site cuz trying to view this site while underway sucks haha.

Out of curiosity, how hard or how competitive is it to become a pilot in any of the branches. I'm in the middle getting my aviation maintenance license and probably work on getting my privates pilots license after and would like to join so I could rack up hours. I know flying a jet is way out of my league, I would only want to fly transport planes. 

Out of curiosity, how hard or how competitive is it to become a pilot in any of the branches. I'm in the middle getting my aviation maintenance license and probably work on getting my privates pilots license after and would like to join so I could rack up hours. I know flying a jet is way out of my league, I would only want to fly transport planes. 

From my limited understanding for navy, you don't have a choice of what platform you fly. But that's all I know...lol sorry.

For all of the Chiefs in here, I am a MA1 up for MAC, I've been going through my OMPF and I noticed that on my Enlisted Qual History (Page 4) none of my Security quals are on there, no Security PQS whatsoever, I have literally 28 quals since converting over to MA years ago. I know that stuff is supposed to be updated upon every enlistment, mine was last updated in 2009, I've reenlisted twice since then and since discovering this discrepancy I've had my updated Page 4 from NSIPS submitted for inclusion in my OMPF. My question is do y'all think not having any Security quals in my OMPF held me back from picking up Chief? I know that quals are shown on your Evals, but I was told that they don't even read all the way through unless it gets real close, plus they don't put every Qual in the block because you have to have Awards/ education etc... Additionally my Evals are solid and have shown progression and complexity, any thought would be appreciated.

For all of the Chiefs in here, I am a MA1 up for MAC, I've been going through my OMPF and I noticed that on my Enlisted Qual History (Page 4) none of my Security quals are on there, no Security PQS whatsoever, I have literally 28 quals since converting over to MA years ago. I know that stuff is supposed to be updated upon every enlistment, mine was last updated in 2009, I've reenlisted twice since then and since discovering this discrepancy I've had my updated Page 4 from NSIPS submitted for inclusion in my OMPF. My question is do y'all think not having any Security quals in my OMPF held me back from picking up Chief? I know that quals are shown on your Evals, but I was told that they don't even read all the way through unless it gets real close, plus they don't put every Qual in the block because you have to have Awards/ education etc... Additionally my Evals are solid and have shown progression and complexity, any thought would be appreciated.

I'll be honest with you, I don't know. Every board is different. If your quals are on your evals then you should have been good. Now when we talk solid evals, What was your progression? Were you above the summary group average on your evals? Back to back EP's? Sustained superior performance on your evals? Were your evals ranked in your department or were they ranked vs the entire ship or base if you are on shore duty?

The eval I know that made me was the my 2nd EP that was ranked vs the all the first classes on the ship in the top ten. If you have that you are golden.

If you have your package and would like me to review it, please hit my inbox and I will give you my e-mail address.

I'll be honest with you, I don't know. Every board is different. If your quals are on your evals then you should have been good. Now when we talk solid evals, What was your progression? Were you above the summary group average on your evals? Back to back EP's? Sustained superior performance on your evals? Were your evals ranked in your department or were they ranked vs the entire ship or base if you are on shore duty?

The eval I know that made me was the my 2nd EP that was ranked vs the all the first classes on the ship in the top ten. If you have that you are golden.

I was above the average on all but 1. That was my check-in eval which was a P, then MP, then #1 MP, then #2 EP out of 31 base FCPOs, then I'll likely get that 1 of 1 transfer EP.

And not all of my quals were on my Evals.

Last edited:
If you have your package and would like me to review it, please hit my inbox and I will give you my e-mail address.

As soon as I get it altogether I will, I'm waiting on my EOT award, which if all goes well should be a NC, but I'll. Still debating a career summary letter.

How long have you been a first? I don't know if they are holding the back to back MP's against you (which would be stupid since the second one is ranked). How has promotion to chief been for MA's? Could just be about waiting for the numbers to be good.

How many times have you been up for Chief?

As soon as I get it altogether I will, I'm waiting on my EOT award, which if all goes well should be a NC, but I'll. Still debating a career summary letter.

I sent a career summary the first time I was up, then didn't the second time I was up and I made it the 2nd time.

How long have you been a first? I don't know if they are holding the back to back MP's against you (which would be stupid since the second one is ranked). How has promotion to chief been for MA's? Could just be about waiting for the numbers to be good.

How many times have you been up for Chief?

Since 2010, and I've been up 3-4 times.

Ok I made First in 2010 also. Only thing I could think of is the back to back MP's. I think that's dumb if that is what it is. I would just make sure you submit the page 4 is it doesn't make it to your OMPF in your package.

Ok I made First in 2010 also. Only thing I could think of is the back to back MP's. I think that's dumb if that is what it is. I would just make sure you submit the page 4 is it doesn't make it to your OMPF in your package.

You already know I am, I'm not leaving anything to chance. I need this.

First couple of days back in Bahrain already on the court. Ran outta gas in the championship game, but we previously played 5 games straight with no breaks in between. [emoji]128549[/emoji]

First couple of days back in Bahrain already on the court. Ran outta gas in the championship game, but we previously played 5 games straight with no breaks in between. [emoji]128549[/emoji]

Fam I got orders going there in July. Where do y'all get your hair cut over there?

Go to Oceans barbershop, it's at the end of "American Alley" right outside NSA, make a left and its right next to Pizza Hut. Go to Tom, he's the third chair in there.

Thanks Fam. I really appreciate it, I'm out of reps now, but I will be sure to bless.

Thanks Fam. I really appreciate it, I'm out of reps now, but I will be sure to bless.
It's all good fam, PM me when you actually get here once you get settled and stuff. I'm sure your check in will be thorough, lol, these young MA's are out here wildin'!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom