The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

...I am prior military...4thID...OIF vet...one semester left then gettin a grad degree...while its hard to find a job...the thought of OCS is always in the back of my head...

...my wife says she doesn't want me to go but the overall benefits are numerous...I love my freedom now compared to when I was enlisted but I just can't stop thinking if I should go OCS or warrant..

...but good luck to those about to enlist or enter the military...and god bless those currently serving...and always thank a veteran...

Sent my cover letter and resume to the LO Recruiter for the Air Force and he contacted me within a week. Wanted to meet with me immediately so I drove three hours to Patrick AFB Wednesday and met with him. I showed up 45 mins early so we had a lot of time to talk. He was really impressed with my GPA (3.93) from the University of Florida and felt that would be my strongpoint through the application process for OTS. He wanted me to go take the AFOQT Monday in Miami and felt that I would score very well based on my academic record. I couldn't make it due to being in Texas visiting family until August 7th. We went over my Pre-Qualification sheet and he was very positive about my candidacy for OTS. He said he wants me to take the AFOQT as soon as possible and get my application ready so the board that meets in February can review it. He went as far as saying that he wants me before that February board so he can get me to OTS and from there I'll be an Officer and get my first assignment. He wants me to get my MEPs done right after my AFOQT and then schedule another meeting to complete my application packet and get it ready for submission. I have five pretty strong letters of recommendation and a good resume; graduated with honors Cum Laude from UF, worked with Americorps for a year in a leadership/organizer position, currently I'm the head Social Worker on a children's crisis unit with two assistants reporting directly to me. A position I've held for over four years. I have some traffic violations like speeding, seat belt, and a registration ticket but nothing major. I had a stupid arrest over 10 years ago for trespassing after warning where adjudication was withheld and I paid some fines. I just did a criminal history search on the FDLE (Florida Dept of Law Enforcement) website and it returned no results for my criminal record. So, I'm assuming it was expunged or sealed. My credit history is okay, but I have items I'm disputing as my father's credit items have found their way on my record due to us having the same name. I just turned 32 and I'm in good shape (run 2x a week at 8:30 min mile pace, knock out push-ups with no problem and am currently 6'1" 190 lbs). We discussed my applying as a Public Affairs Officer as a first choice and then as a Services Officer for a back-up plan. From my meeting with the LO Recruiter I got a real good feeling that this is going to happen for me. He actually gave me the LO Handbook that the AF gave him to help me get everything right. Taking all of this into account, from those of you who know, am I rightfully confident that I will be selected for OTS with a strong score on the AFOQT and a strong application? Also, any advice at this point to help me? Thanks for anything and everything you can share. My plan is to stay in for 20+ years by the way.

Sent my cover letter and resume to the LO Recruiter for the Air Force and he contacted me within a week. Wanted to meet with me immediately so I drove three hours to Patrick AFB Wednesday and met with him. I showed up 45 mins early so we had a lot of time to talk. He was really impressed with my GPA (3.93) from the University of Florida and felt that would be my strongpoint through the application process for OTS. He wanted me to go take the AFOQT Monday in Miami and felt that I would score very well based on my academic record. I couldn't make it due to being in Texas visiting family until August 7th. We went over my Pre-Qualification sheet and he was very positive about my candidacy for OTS. He said he wants me to take the AFOQT as soon as possible and get my application ready so the board that meets in February can review it. He went as far as saying that he wants me before that February board so he can get me to OTS and from there I'll be an Officer and get my first assignment. He wants me to get my MEPs done right after my AFOQT and then schedule another meeting to complete my application packet and get it ready for submission. I have five pretty strong letters of recommendation and a good resume; graduated with honors Cum Laude from UF, worked with Americorps for a year in a leadership/organizer position, currently I'm the head Social Worker on a children's crisis unit with two assistants reporting directly to me. A position I've held for over four years. I have some traffic violations like speeding, seat belt, and a registration ticket but nothing major. I had a stupid arrest over 10 years ago for trespassing after warning where adjudication was withheld and I paid some fines. I just did a criminal history search on the FDLE (Florida Dept of Law Enforcement) website and it returned no results for my criminal record. So, I'm assuming it was expunged or sealed. My credit history is okay, but I have items I'm disputing as my father's credit items have found their way on my record due to us having the same name. I just turned 32 and I'm in good shape (run 2x a week at 8:30 min mile pace, knock out push-ups with no problem and am currently 6'1" 190 lbs). We discussed my applying as a Public Affairs Officer as a first choice and then as a Services Officer for a back-up plan. From my meeting with the LO Recruiter I got a real good feeling that this is going to happen for me. He actually gave me the LO Handbook that the AF gave him to help me get everything right. Taking all of this into account, from those of you who know, am I rightfully confident that I will be selected for OTS with a strong score on the AFOQT and a strong application? Also, any advice at this point to help me? Thanks for anything and everything you can share. My plan is to stay in for 20+ years by the way.

Originally Posted by rojanjon

From the looks of things it seems like you're shoe-in. GPA is crazy and you have leadership experience, public service, etc. From what I've heard getting in the AF as an officer is crazy hard though but good luck. I've been thinking of staying in the full 20 if I get selected (don't wanna put the cart before the horse though). The retirement and benefits have me. 
pimp.gif
eek.gif
 Why'd you wait for such a long time to join?

From the looks of things it seems like you're shoe-in. GPA is crazy and you have leadership experience, public service, etc. From what I've heard getting in the AF as an officer is crazy hard though but good luck. I've been thinking of staying in the full 20 if I get selected (don't wanna put the cart before the horse though). The retirement and benefits have me. 
pimp.gif
eek.gif
 Why'd you wait for such a long time to join?

Appreciate the response. I've waited because I wanted to get my work experience under my belt and see what my options looked like career-wise and also consider graduate school. The way things stand now I will go back to pursue my Master's while I'm in the AF and from there once I receive my Master's and get my license I'll apply to get a commission as a Public Health Officer. I know just getting to OTS in the AF is very competitive but the LO Handbook the recruiter provided me stated that they send 600-700 candidates to OTS each class and I know I qualify to be one of those 600. The fact that the recruiter even called me and wanted to rush me into getting my AFOQT and application ready were very encouraging signs. Plus, as you said my GPA is very good and I will do very well on the AFOQT (I've been studying for the GRE for months and I'm about to go buy an AFOQT prep book; any recommendations anyone?). The LO Recruiter also told me that his commander will be very impressed with my GPA and he places a lot of importance on academics for his Officers and he always brags about how good his is and he thinks I have the Commander's GPA beat which is huge for me. I'm really excited about this and I feel it in my heart that this is my calling. Finally, I have real purpose with honor and integrity. Something that everyone I am close to can be proud of and a life I really believe in. Just gotta keep praying for guidance and strength.

Appreciate the response. I've waited because I wanted to get my work experience under my belt and see what my options looked like career-wise and also consider graduate school. The way things stand now I will go back to pursue my Master's while I'm in the AF and from there once I receive my Master's and get my license I'll apply to get a commission as a Public Health Officer. I know just getting to OTS in the AF is very competitive but the LO Handbook the recruiter provided me stated that they send 600-700 candidates to OTS each class and I know I qualify to be one of those 600. The fact that the recruiter even called me and wanted to rush me into getting my AFOQT and application ready were very encouraging signs. Plus, as you said my GPA is very good and I will do very well on the AFOQT (I've been studying for the GRE for months and I'm about to go buy an AFOQT prep book; any recommendations anyone?). The LO Recruiter also told me that his commander will be very impressed with my GPA and he places a lot of importance on academics for his Officers and he always brags about how good his is and he thinks I have the Commander's GPA beat which is huge for me. I'm really excited about this and I feel it in my heart that this is my calling. Finally, I have real purpose with honor and integrity. Something that everyone I am close to can be proud of and a life I really believe in. Just gotta keep praying for guidance and strength.

Studying for the GRE is great practice for the AFOQT. Also, I'd look into Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests. I don't know much about AF but I looked over some of the practice tests. It wasn't the best book for the ASTB, but for certain sections (spatial apperception, supplemental section mostly) is was decent. That might be a good starter, but I wouldn't use that as your sole study guide. Also, maybe try Air Warriors.com. They have lots of pilots (even though you are going for PHO or PAO), the better you score on these types of tests, the better chance of getting in.

Studying for the GRE is great practice for the AFOQT. Also, I'd look into Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests. I don't know much about AF but I looked over some of the practice tests. It wasn't the best book for the ASTB, but for certain sections (spatial apperception, supplemental section mostly) is was decent. That might be a good starter, but I wouldn't use that as your sole study guide. Also, maybe try Air Warriors.com. They have lots of pilots (even though you are going for PHO or PAO), the better you score on these types of tests, the better chance of getting in.

Awesome man, thanks. I'm about to leave the house to pick up a prep book now. Question though: do I need to worry about the Pilot/Navigation material at all? The LO Recruiter basically said I should just worry about the math and word sections since I'm not applying to be a pilot. But, from what you're saying, I should still study the pilot/navigation material? I was under the assumption that I wouldn't even have to take that portion of the test. I guess I was wrong. I'll definitely ask my recruiter about this. And one more thing, the best of luck to you all as well as you pursue your commissions and appointments.

Awesome man, thanks. I'm about to leave the house to pick up a prep book now. Question though: do I need to worry about the Pilot/Navigation material at all? The LO Recruiter basically said I should just worry about the math and word sections since I'm not applying to be a pilot. But, from what you're saying, I should still study the pilot/navigation material? I was under the assumption that I wouldn't even have to take that portion of the test. I guess I was wrong. I'll definitely ask my recruiter about this. And one more thing, the best of luck to you all as well as you pursue your commissions and appointments.

I'm in the army. 31B MP. In IRAQ right now. Looking forward on getting out though, and using my GI bill. Trying to go border patrol or firefighter when I get out...

People that need any help or have any questions let me know.. always down to help. But Seriously, the military has reached its a numbers and then some. Right now we are chaptering people outta the army for being overweight, doing stupid stuff but were chaptering people out like crazy, no ifs and's or but's.

But people trying to enlist goodluck... people trying to use that degree to go Officer R.I.P you vs the rest of the world.

I'm in the army. 31B MP. In IRAQ right now. Looking forward on getting out though, and using my GI bill. Trying to go border patrol or firefighter when I get out...

People that need any help or have any questions let me know.. always down to help. But Seriously, the military has reached its a numbers and then some. Right now we are chaptering people outta the army for being overweight, doing stupid stuff but were chaptering people out like crazy, no ifs and's or but's.

But people trying to enlist goodluck... people trying to use that degree to go Officer R.I.P you vs the rest of the world.

Will my AFOQT score take the place or satisfy the ASVAB requirement? Do I need to take the ASVAB in addition to the AFOQT if I'm applying to be an AF Officer?

Will my AFOQT score take the place or satisfy the ASVAB requirement? Do I need to take the ASVAB in addition to the AFOQT if I'm applying to be an AF Officer?

Originally Posted by The Kid Fiasco

It's talk that this that has me shook

Can someone describe the medical process at meps before shipping to basic (the second visit) and when you finally reach the reception batallion.

Can someone describe the medical process at meps before shipping to basic (the second visit) and when you finally reach the reception batallion.

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

Its rough, The Military can now pick and choose who they want.. People need the military now more than ever and now the military can sit back and chose who joins and doesn't. You just gotta stand out and outshine your competition.

Its rough, The Military can now pick and choose who they want.. People need the military now more than ever and now the military can sit back and chose who joins and doesn't. You just gotta stand out and outshine your competition.

I feel you on it. I just hope they like me. I've done the best I can thus far, I just hope things work for me. Are you an Officer by any chance? If I knew what I know now when I was a freshman, I would've joined Navy ROTC
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
. Such is life though

I feel you on it. I just hope they like me. I've done the best I can thus far, I just hope things work for me. Are you an Officer by any chance? If I knew what I know now when I was a freshman, I would've joined Navy ROTC
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
. Such is life though

From my experience with the ASTB, the better the overall score, the better the chance of getting in. For the ASTB, the people who qualify for aviators for all sections have the pick of the litter for the boards (meaning all boards may extend an offer within the community). People can elect to take only the OAR sections (math, physics, reading comp) for certain communities (SWO and PA since thats what I'm shooting for) but my OR said that if I can score decent on all sections it only makes me look that much better. If your pilot sections are low, they will more than likely be disregarded and just look at your immediate sections.

Like I said though, I've only worked with the ASTB/Navy stuff so I don't think I'm the best source.

From my experience with the ASTB, the better the overall score, the better the chance of getting in. For the ASTB, the people who qualify for aviators for all sections have the pick of the litter for the boards (meaning all boards may extend an offer within the community). People can elect to take only the OAR sections (math, physics, reading comp) for certain communities (SWO and PA since thats what I'm shooting for) but my OR said that if I can score decent on all sections it only makes me look that much better. If your pilot sections are low, they will more than likely be disregarded and just look at your immediate sections.

Like I said though, I've only worked with the ASTB/Navy stuff so I don't think I'm the best source.

Back
Top Bottom