The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

Originally Posted by The Kid Fiasco

It's talk that this that has me shook
Its rough, The Military can now pick and choose who they want.. People need the military now more than ever and now the military can sit back and chose who joins and doesn't. You just gotta stand out and outshine your competition.

I feel you on it. I just hope they like me. I've done the best I can thus far, I just hope things work for me. Are you an Officer by any chance? If I knew what I know now when I was a freshman, I would've joined Navy ROTC
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
. Such is life though
Nah, Im enlisted, e-4 (SPC) in the army.. I was bummed choosing the army over college, seeing everyone get that piece of paper like it was nothing. It ate me up, but now seeing everyone getting a degree, but having no job then they come over to the military to go officer.. Not to hate on you guys, But yeah the military did a complete 180, it will be tough to be chosen, you just gotta break the chain, i wish you best.. keep your options open and Don't let the military screw you..

It's talk that this that has me shook
Its rough, The Military can now pick and choose who they want.. People need the military now more than ever and now the military can sit back and chose who joins and doesn't. You just gotta stand out and outshine your competition.

I feel you on it. I just hope they like me. I've done the best I can thus far, I just hope things work for me. Are you an Officer by any chance? If I knew what I know now when I was a freshman, I would've joined Navy ROTC
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
. Such is life though
Nah, Im enlisted, e-4 (SPC) in the army.. I was bummed choosing the army over college, seeing everyone get that piece of paper like it was nothing. It ate me up, but now seeing everyone getting a degree, but having no job then they come over to the military to go officer.. Not to hate on you guys, But yeah the military did a complete 180, it will be tough to be chosen, you just gotta break the chain, i wish you best.. keep your options open and Don't let the military screw you..

Spent 11 years in the Army 11B for 4 years then the rest as an 18D. Got medically discharged in 2010, threw a huge wrench in life plans. Using my GI Bill now. Military is a great start for a lot of people. I can probably help with any questions on the enlisted side.

Spent 11 years in the Army 11B for 4 years then the rest as an 18D. Got medically discharged in 2010, threw a huge wrench in life plans. Using my GI Bill now. Military is a great start for a lot of people. I can probably help with any questions on the enlisted side.

Originally Posted by he told on me

Can someone describe the medical process at meps before shipping to basic (the second visit) and when you finally reach the reception batallion.

you just get a physical check up, 1-2 hours then you're off to boot 

Originally Posted by he told on me

Can someone describe the medical process at meps before shipping to basic (the second visit) and when you finally reach the reception batallion.

you just get a physical check up, 1-2 hours then you're off to boot 

Originally Posted by Slick4

As an 18D you are basically trained as well as a physicians assistant, are you continuing your education in medicine? I heard how hard the 18D MOS track was, and you couldn't even get tabbed with the guys you started with since the MOS portion for you guys is so long.

As an 18D you are basically trained as well as a physicians assistant, are you continuing your education in medicine? I heard how hard the 18D MOS track was, and you couldn't even get tabbed with the guys you started with since the MOS portion for you guys is so long.

Hats off to you sir.

Hats off to you sir.

Elder- yeah we are at the least trained as well as PA's in several fields the only hang up is NONE of our certifications carry over in to the civilian sector. At least when I went through. When I got discharged I tried to get a job as an ER tech at the hospital my wife works at and got turned down. That was the only time I had a *%!$@@%%# moment doing the whole "I'm an SF medic, I've worked on worse injuries then half the Dr.s blah blah blah" . Yes I'm continuing my education in medicine as a Family NP haha I know it's lame but, I have a family, my wife makes good money and even though I have an unreal amount of college credits, they just aren't the right ones to have me close to a PA. The 18D training was intense I'm sure anyone interested can find so good info online but, I really rather not go in to it. Yeah it seemed like forever to get tabbed, one of my good friends who went through as an 18E was on his second tour with his ODA before I even got tabbed but the nice thing was they needed medics bad so I basically got to pick what group I wanted to go to and made Sr Medic (E-7) super fast. I wanted to make it a career but, looking back I guess it worked out good. When I got hurt I lost jump status so I had the choice of pick an MOS for big army and be just another soldier or get out. I went in right into the Rangers then SF so the idea of going and being some 68W at some med shack on some %@#+%* post was unbearable so I chose to bounce. Plus it's very hard on a family. My wife and children begged me to just get out so I couldn't keep them and keep that life style.

Elder- yeah we are at the least trained as well as PA's in several fields the only hang up is NONE of our certifications carry over in to the civilian sector. At least when I went through. When I got discharged I tried to get a job as an ER tech at the hospital my wife works at and got turned down. That was the only time I had a *%!$@@%%# moment doing the whole "I'm an SF medic, I've worked on worse injuries then half the Dr.s blah blah blah" . Yes I'm continuing my education in medicine as a Family NP haha I know it's lame but, I have a family, my wife makes good money and even though I have an unreal amount of college credits, they just aren't the right ones to have me close to a PA. The 18D training was intense I'm sure anyone interested can find so good info online but, I really rather not go in to it. Yeah it seemed like forever to get tabbed, one of my good friends who went through as an 18E was on his second tour with his ODA before I even got tabbed but the nice thing was they needed medics bad so I basically got to pick what group I wanted to go to and made Sr Medic (E-7) super fast. I wanted to make it a career but, looking back I guess it worked out good. When I got hurt I lost jump status so I had the choice of pick an MOS for big army and be just another soldier or get out. I went in right into the Rangers then SF so the idea of going and being some 68W at some med shack on some %@#+%* post was unbearable so I chose to bounce. Plus it's very hard on a family. My wife and children begged me to just get out so I couldn't keep them and keep that life style.

Yeah that 18D MOS track ain't no joke...I take my hat off to anybody that gets a long tab with that MOS. I've also heard that SOCM is hard as hell to complete, too. I respect the hell out of medics.

Yeah that 18D MOS track ain't no joke...I take my hat off to anybody that gets a long tab with that MOS. I've also heard that SOCM is hard as hell to complete, too. I respect the hell out of medics.

Slick4, I totally understand your situation brother. At least you got a taste of the action, no one can take that away from you. My moment came much earlier in the process than yours, I was an SF recruit just starting the pipeline when I had severe family issues...so much that I had to leave before finishing the pipeline. I had my computer certifications at the time, and they were hurting for Echos so that was more than likely going to be my path. Basically most of the SF babies that made it past SFAS were getting Bravos and Charlies.

Fortunately, I was able to get back into the fold as a civilian and be right there with the guys. I even had a chance to work with one of the guys I started the pipleline with over in Iraq. My mentor was a former NCOIC of SOFAERTEC and he got me squared away. So I guess my career now is like a huge consolation prize. Tell you what though, the professionalism, competency, adaptability that you gain from the process will take you far no matter what career you take on afterwards. PM me if you feel like you want to keep in touch. Never know one day we may be able to help one another.

Slick4, I totally understand your situation brother. At least you got a taste of the action, no one can take that away from you. My moment came much earlier in the process than yours, I was an SF recruit just starting the pipeline when I had severe family issues...so much that I had to leave before finishing the pipeline. I had my computer certifications at the time, and they were hurting for Echos so that was more than likely going to be my path. Basically most of the SF babies that made it past SFAS were getting Bravos and Charlies.

Fortunately, I was able to get back into the fold as a civilian and be right there with the guys. I even had a chance to work with one of the guys I started the pipleline with over in Iraq. My mentor was a former NCOIC of SOFAERTEC and he got me squared away. So I guess my career now is like a huge consolation prize. Tell you what though, the professionalism, competency, adaptability that you gain from the process will take you far no matter what career you take on afterwards. PM me if you feel like you want to keep in touch. Never know one day we may be able to help one another.

Yeah man at least your still there as a civilian. I've almost been lured back in to a civilian job many times between a lot of former contacts at Ft Campbell as well as overseas but, I'm just a family man now. It shocking sometimes more younger guys to consider going SF. It's hard as hell but all the experience I have is unreal. Why any 18 year old single guy isnt lining up for selection blows my mind. I was a C+ student at best and once people find out you were tabbed out you get all kinds of offers. I've been offered crazy jobs that I have 0 experience with just off that fact alone. My biggest problem and it's not even huge but, I think the Army needs to start getting the guys recognized certifications in the medical field. I understand if they did that a lot of people would bounce quicker but I think it's a shame where I can't get any job in the medical field that is entry level cleaning up after old people but, I'm offered jobs like sales manager for a oil company and I just shake my head. I can't do that I mean two years ago if I'm knocking at the door you got some serious problems. It is nice when people appreciate it though but it can be awkward too like when some of my daughters friends parents found out it was like they were weird about the kids coming over like I was crazy or something. I guess that's why we never really tell people.

Yeah man at least your still there as a civilian. I've almost been lured back in to a civilian job many times between a lot of former contacts at Ft Campbell as well as overseas but, I'm just a family man now. It shocking sometimes more younger guys to consider going SF. It's hard as hell but all the experience I have is unreal. Why any 18 year old single guy isnt lining up for selection blows my mind. I was a C+ student at best and once people find out you were tabbed out you get all kinds of offers. I've been offered crazy jobs that I have 0 experience with just off that fact alone. My biggest problem and it's not even huge but, I think the Army needs to start getting the guys recognized certifications in the medical field. I understand if they did that a lot of people would bounce quicker but I think it's a shame where I can't get any job in the medical field that is entry level cleaning up after old people but, I'm offered jobs like sales manager for a oil company and I just shake my head. I can't do that I mean two years ago if I'm knocking at the door you got some serious problems. It is nice when people appreciate it though but it can be awkward too like when some of my daughters friends parents found out it was like they were weird about the kids coming over like I was crazy or something. I guess that's why we never really tell people.

tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
. Such is life though
Every says that, what exactly does it mean? Are the recruiters straight up lying or do they screw you over job-wise or where you get stationed?

tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
. Such is life though
Every says that, what exactly does it mean? Are the recruiters straight up lying or do they screw you over job-wise or where you get stationed?

waiting to see if i can land some stuff here in stl.

if not, i'm going to go enlisted in the air force.

have a B.S. in Business Admin/Marketing.
hopefully, i can land an art school wherever i get stationed. 

waiting to see if i can land some stuff here in stl.

if not, i'm going to go enlisted in the air force.

have a B.S. in Business Admin/Marketing.
hopefully, i can land an art school wherever i get stationed. 

Yeah hellion 5th group. I wanted to go there since their AO is the Middle East so when I went through language corse I'd at least be able to use it. Still can only say basic words, that's a tough language. I'm going to try to get some pictures together to put up, maybe people can get an idea what it's like being down range in jeans and a tshirt. Not sure if I have any I can just post up for opsec reasons.

Back
Top Bottom