The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Originally Posted by NavyBoy24

Best way to go is commissioned for you guys that are joining. That goes for every branch.

care to explain what you mean?
I`m kind of confused by all of this 

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by solarius49

Basically (starting at the top) an O-1 with under 2 years time in service will make $2828 per month. This doesnt factor in BAH (Basic allowance for Housing) which is usually a couple grand based on your area code. the O-3E to O-5E list related to prior enlisted service members who have received commisions

So what determines your O#? you job title? or are you an O1 for 6 years then become an O2?
naw an O-1 is the lowest ranked officer.  So in the Marines it would be a 2nd Lieutenant, in the Navy it would be an Ensign.  I cant speak for the other branches (but it may be the same across the board), but in the Marines you are an O-1 for 2 years, then you pick up O-2, then 2 years later you are eligible to pick up O-3, then after that it becomes much more competitive

What Navyboy is referring to when he says "commissioned" is the act of being an officer.  I (and 90% of the military) am enlisted.  The enlisted service members are pretty much the work force and the commissioned officers are the management basically.  Officers receive more stringent training, and are held to a higher standard, and will move up the chain of command to be in command of groups of enlisted (ie a Marine Infantry platoon commander, or a Company commander)

As an officer you are in command of a platoon when you get to your first unit whereas if you come in enlisted...you have to work your way from the bottom up.

As an officer you are in command of a platoon when you get to your first unit whereas if you come in enlisted...you have to work your way from the bottom up.

you at 32nd St? in san diego?

you at 32nd St? in san diego?

So if I have a degree, I would get a position "managing" a troop or "employees" doing a job relevant to IT, or do they just give you a random position?

So if I have a degree, I would get a position "managing" a troop or "employees" doing a job relevant to IT, or do they just give you a random position?

You would have to talk to a recruiter about that, but I know for a fact that the Navy has plenty of IT positions, im assuming the AF does as well.  You would probably be able to be an IT officer, but you would have to talk to a recruiter more about that

You would have to talk to a recruiter about that, but I know for a fact that the Navy has plenty of IT positions, im assuming the AF does as well.  You would probably be able to be an IT officer, but you would have to talk to a recruiter more about that

gotcha,
I`m not down and out and can't find a gig, but a college professor I had that was former military brought up IT + 3.0 GPA or higher = A ton of opportunities, and good money in the military. And every one I know in the air force love it. I want a job where I can use my thinking ability to make stuff happen, not something where my focus is milking consumers for money, which is what turns me off about private sector. I played football in HS so I can't imagine OTS being worst then the crazy stuff we did during summer training, and Ive seen some bum looking dudes in the military ( my city has a base there) so It doesn't look impossible, I jut gotta get back in shape.  I`m 23 so I`d rather do all this until Im like 28-early 30s.

gotcha,
I`m not down and out and can't find a gig, but a college professor I had that was former military brought up IT + 3.0 GPA or higher = A ton of opportunities, and good money in the military. And every one I know in the air force love it. I want a job where I can use my thinking ability to make stuff happen, not something where my focus is milking consumers for money, which is what turns me off about private sector. I played football in HS so I can't imagine OTS being worst then the crazy stuff we did during summer training, and Ive seen some bum looking dudes in the military ( my city has a base there) so It doesn't look impossible, I jut gotta get back in shape.  I`m 23 so I`d rather do all this until Im like 28-early 30s.

gotcha,
I mean if you want to wait thats up to you, i'll tell you what though, i'm 26 now and I REALLY wish i woulda finished my degree on time and went in as an officer...im still considering coming back in as an officer after I finish my BA

gotcha,
I mean if you want to wait thats up to you, i'll tell you what though, i'm 26 now and I REALLY wish i woulda finished my degree on time and went in as an officer...im still considering coming back in as an officer after I finish my BA

gotcha,

I graduated in 4 years on time, I turn 24 this october. 
I keep hearing and seeing OTS is very tough to get in because its over saturated, but at what standard. I can't imagine many IT guys with 3.9 GPAs going Air Force that didn't do he ROTC route, Like I said I think I have a pretty good Resume ( Cum Laude Graduate, 5 years of work experience, 4 years of community service/campus leadership organizations, etc) So Idk if when people say it is hard to get into OTS they are referring to dudes with Art or Mass Comm degrees and stuff or what. Lol looking at the height/weight chart I need to lose 50lbs (muscle can throw that off) according to that so this isn't something I`d be doing over night, just really thinking on doing something I will like and that will set my future family up to be good in the future.

gotcha,

I graduated in 4 years on time, I turn 24 this october. 
I keep hearing and seeing OTS is very tough to get in because its over saturated, but at what standard. I can't imagine many IT guys with 3.9 GPAs going Air Force that didn't do he ROTC route, Like I said I think I have a pretty good Resume ( Cum Laude Graduate, 5 years of work experience, 4 years of community service/campus leadership organizations, etc) So Idk if when people say it is hard to get into OTS they are referring to dudes with Art or Mass Comm degrees and stuff or what. Lol looking at the height/weight chart I need to lose 50lbs (muscle can throw that off) according to that so this isn't something I`d be doing over night, just really thinking on doing something I will like and that will set my future family up to be good in the future.

Well the height weight chart is skewed, they if alot of that weight is muscle then they will go by your body fat %. But yeah i know every platoon commander I had was an art major or history major, but in the more technical jobs (like IT), i dont see anybody getting those jobs without some sort of specialized degree...but good luck broseph I wish you the best

Well the height weight chart is skewed, they if alot of that weight is muscle then they will go by your body fat %. But yeah i know every platoon commander I had was an art major or history major, but in the more technical jobs (like IT), i dont see anybody getting those jobs without some sort of specialized degree...but good luck broseph I wish you the best

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

Originally Posted by Xavier

solarius49 wrote:

SnkrFrk wrote:

Headed to Kuwait in Jan, any NTers been?

ARMY btw..

Kuwait is the hottest place on earth. Expect 130 degrees daily. But the army base there is dope. The army has it too good Im a marine btw

he aint lying..... place was hotter than iraq...... the sandstorms there were
sick.gif
sick.gif
 at night the wind picks up a good bit......

the px's and resturants was nice used to hit up charleys every night.... they have bk, starbucks all that extra stuff.

You guys weren't kidding, It's hot as hell here and its not even July-August yet..

You from the New York National Guard? They got y'all at AJ?

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

Originally Posted by Xavier

solarius49 wrote:

SnkrFrk wrote:

Headed to Kuwait in Jan, any NTers been?

ARMY btw..

Kuwait is the hottest place on earth. Expect 130 degrees daily. But the army base there is dope. The army has it too good Im a marine btw

he aint lying..... place was hotter than iraq...... the sandstorms there were
sick.gif
sick.gif
 at night the wind picks up a good bit......

the px's and resturants was nice used to hit up charleys every night.... they have bk, starbucks all that extra stuff.

You guys weren't kidding, It's hot as hell here and its not even July-August yet..

You from the New York National Guard? They got y'all at AJ?

Lucky:

That pay table chart is pretty much standard across the board for all branches.

Basically, you'll be starting as an O-1 (2nd LT) and will be basically in charge of a platoon or be an XO working for a Company commander. This is my experience in the Army.

You said you have a degree in IT...do you happen to have certifications? The main thing about joining the military would be for the security (Secret or Top Secret) clearances. Especially in the IT field, that can prove handy when later going on to do Government Service jobs.

Good luck with whatever your decision is!
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom