The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Headed to Al Udeid next month. My first deployment. Anybody ever been there?
Job? That place totally sucks for certain career fields. If you only stay and work in the containment area then I guess it's alright. But if you work on the flightline, then prepare to be in hell. Buses run all around the base on a set schedule all day, and chow halls serve hot meals 24/7. Food isn't horrible, but is much worse compared to where I was deployed to, and iirc they don't serve pork there, so have fun with turkey bacon.

Last time I was there was just traveling through for a day (July) and it was 130 out with 90% humidity. It sucked. We went to the Dairy Queen and it was still at least 90 degrees in there. It won't be that hot all year, but the humidity pretty much stays year round, so don't expect it to get very dry there. Also pack warm clothes because when you're used to 90+ during the day 70 will feel very cold at night. This is especially true because it is also extremely windy all the time. 

There is a dairy queen next to an olympic sized pool, a baskin robbins/dunking donuts, burger king, pizza hut (who supposedly deliver), subway, and in the BX there is a taco bell and an arby's. 

Last edited:
Headed to Al Udeid next month. My first deployment. Anybody ever been there?

It's al about how you make and what you do to occupy the idle time you will have when off duty. I recommend taking classes. I was able to knock out nearly a third of my criminal justic and political science degree while there, I also grinded 4 classes at a time. There are 2 gyms there but far apart so depending on which compound you stay on, you will either have the real nice gym or the whole in the wal gym. WIFI is everywhere, literally and you can wear civilian clothes now since they are transforming the base into a remote location similar to Korea.

Heat and humidity is nearly unbearable and if you work outside, it's a wrap. Drink lots of water and take it easy on the supplements if you take them. Guy in my squadron nearly died from taking preworkout and all kinds of other supplements without sufficient water.

I stress it to all my Airman and anyone i came in contact with..... Knock out your education!!!

Pass that along to your Airman and peers too if you are a supervisor. Not only will it help you with the promotion boards we will begin seeing but you also don't want to be the guy who waits until they are an E-7 before they get their CCAF or bachelor degree.

Most of all have fun! Save your money and get in great shape.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the words gentlemen. I'm ATC so I won't be working outside. I already know how rough maintainers have it here at Langley. You're preaching to the choir about education. I got my CCAF last year and plan on making a dent in my bachelor's while I'm out there. Definitely looking forward to getting out there and experiencing it all.

Congrats. Wish you health, success, etc.

The military lifestyle isn't easy unless you're in the Air Force or Coast Guard (badum, bum).

Just kidding, I have a lot of respect for AF Security Forces, Para Rescue, etc.

Congrats. Wish you health, success, etc.

The military lifestyle isn't easy unless you're in the Air Force or Coast Guard (badum, bum).

Just kidding, I have a lot of respect for AF Security Forces, Para Rescue, etc.

its funny how other branches throw shade at the AF like a better quality of life is a bad thing or something to be ashamed about

but thats the narrative the Marines and Army sell

they HAVE to sell it :lol:

its funny how other branches throw shade at the AF like a better quality of life is a bad thing or something to be ashamed about

but thats the narrative the Marines and Army sell

they HAVE to sell it :lol:
Marines have to sell? Lmao ... My man this aren't the 80s or 90s ... Marines have high standards and actually turn down a lot of recruits. Is no secret that the AF has a great working environment and the quality of life is good. However, the Marines are globally recognised, respected and emulated. The dress uniformed is the most recognised and they price themselves for doing more with less.

In regards to the "shade" it's most often than not inner service humour. Just like Marine = Muscles are required intelligence not essential. Just humour ...

UMSC. Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Jarhead. Meathead. Jirene. Knuckledragger. Marine Corps, a Department of the Navy. The Navy's Men section. Blah, blah, blah. It was a joke. It's cool that there is a thread for military personnel that are sneaker enthusiasts.

I have respect for all of the services. You'd be an idiot not to believe each service brings some kind of capability to the U.S. Military.

Obviously the Marines and U.S. Army are the ones on the ground. I remember on my second deployment, we were assuming control of a FOB from the Army. I remember asking a soldier how long he'd been there. His answer was 15 Months!! I said well damn. But a year or two is nothing unusual to Soldiers. As a Marine, I was impressed. Being at a joint unit right now, I've gotten to learn a great deal about the other services. Having said, I have a lot of respect for the Air Force and Navy. They're very technical (obviously they have to be). I also like the idea of taking job and service related tests toward promotion (I didn't say completely toward promotion).

Also, Trivia. They didn't show it in America Sniper but Chris Kyle was refused admission to the Marines. The SEALs were his second choice, lol.

UMSC. Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Jarhead. Meathead. Jirene. Knuckledragger. Marine Corps, a Department of the Navy. The Navy's Men section. Blah, blah, blah. It was a joke. It's cool that there is a thread for military personnel that are sneaker enthusiasts.

I have respect for all of the services. You'd be an idiot not to believe each service brings some kind of capability to the U.S. Military.

Obviously the Marines and U.S. Army are the ones on the ground. I remember on my second deployment, we were assuming control of a FOB from the Army. I remember asking a soldier how long he'd been there. His answer was 15 Months!! I said well damn. But a year or two is nothing unusual to Soldiers. As a Marine, I was impressed. Being at a joint unit right now, I've gotten to learn a great deal about the other services. Having said, I have a lot of respect for the Air Force and Navy. They're very technical (obviously they have to be). I also like the idea of taking job and service related tests toward promotion (I didn't say completely toward promotion).

Also, Trivia. They didn't show it in America Sniper but Chris Kyle was refused admission to the Marines. The SEALs were his second choice, lol.
I guess you are in tune with current trends, I'm sure you can also collaborate that Marines are turning kids and sending them to the other branches of service to include the AF.

The Marines branding is second to none. However, that also turns away kids that believe it might be to hard to achieve or that want an easier route.

AF also had a great reputation for being easier and have an outstanding quality of life. Army for being everywhere and Navy for having the Marines lol.

But seriously, not everyone wants a great quality of life, but rather be in a prestigious organisation. That's what the Marines have created. The Few, the proud ... Weakness is pain leaving the body. Eagle Globe and anchor ... There a reason why these are trademark.

all of which = $0 once you get out

Agreed. No one in the civilian sector puts a huge emphasis on your service's reputation. They'd probably prefer someone from Harvard, Stanford, MiT, Columbia, Yale, etc.

Most of the general populace is still ignorant of the military.

speaking of inter-service rivalry....it kinda bothered me when this soldier said why do airmen take claim for helping boots on the ground when they're not the ones piloting the plane?

if he only knew how many airmen it takes to get that 1 plane off the ground (crew chiefs, avionics, fuels, afe, egress, weapons, ammo, comm, atc, age etc......)

Back
Top Bottom