The Official NBA Season Thread: Jamal Murray Signs $209M Extension

I mean, I'm pretty sure guys weren't even allowed to come from the weak side during the 90's due to illegal defense rules, so you might be onto something.

Huh? That's interesting. I heard that illegal defense didn't really matter and no one called it back then because...........................................................................................MJ

5d6ff152cb3c7d31213de07185ca3730.gif

he had heart problems, that season.

1726243938501.png

which had to be managed, they eventually had put him blood clotting medication.

so yes he had a slightly down season and they missed the playoffs. i don't really think this really downgrades hakeem in right thinking person's mind.

im just pointing out the flaws in your argument.
I never said it downgraded him. It's just a fact.

And statistically there really wasn't a difference in his play that season, he missed two weeks cause of the heart and the rest of his numbers were on par with his career numbers, so the idea it caused him to miss the playoffs when he won MVP the following season seems like grasping at straws for finding a way to explain why his team missed the playoffs in his prime.

And you are right, if you put guys in the modern era like Tim Hardaway their handles would be just as good and would develop moves that match the other elite talents of their era. But you also just admitted that the off-the-bounce skills of today's guys are much better, which means guarding the perimeter in an era of limited three-point shooting and downgraded handles was something completely different than today. Look at the all-nba guards in the 90's. It was kind of bleak before the 96 draft, which kind of marks the modern era of the NBA imo.

Hakeem was great, and he's is, or is close to being a top 10 guy of all-time. I think Jokic is the only really under 30 guy who can crack that group. That's been my whole point but people want to defend Hakeem and pretend he's being disrespected.

I never said it downgraded him. It's just a fact.

And statistically there really wasn't a difference in his play that season, he missed two weeks cause of the heart and the rest of his numbers were on par with his career numbers, so the idea it caused him to miss the playoffs when he won MVP the following season seems like grasping at straws for finding a way to explain why his team missed the playoffs in his prime.

there was a difference in play, remember those rockets teams weren't good, even a little bit of slippage from Hakeem and they were in deep trouble.

traditional box score stats were similar
but advanced numbers were down, usage rate, rebound rate, PER ect

so an outlier season, after multiple freak health events (year before he was knocked unconscious from an elbow).

I don't think that's grasping at straws, especially before and after these events he dragged these teams to solid records.

Im a gigantic Jokic fan, but Hakeem is a top 10 guy. Don't think I can put Jokic top 10 yet.

Jokic is better.

A lot of those 90's guys actually dribbled like that in the off season or at the playgrounds. But in the NBA were more conservative with their dribbles.
if the nba ever decided to call travel and palming/carrying violations. these guys would have difficulty pulling a lot of their dribble package. nba got so lax over time :lol:

Russell>Wilt

is one of the things the old heads were right about the entire time.

I used to be a Wilt>Russell guy when I was young.

but then i grew up and became a man and put down such childish things.

Back
Top Bottom