The Official NBA Thread: Celtics Lead 3-1 in the NBA Finals | RIP Jerry West

Didn’t even realize today was a holiday

01FCA69C-6680-44CB-B5C0-F4B6E2C2CA3C.jpeg

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Best gig in the league :lol:. Then they’ll get the #9 pick, expectations won’t change. Rinse and repeat until retirement.

Is Dame lowkey a finesser? Not saying he isn't an elite talent and isn't worth his massive deal. I mean it in the sense that he gets the massive deal, gets to put up jumbo numbers but no one ever expects anything of his teams. In fact folks (mostly casuals) feel bad for him because of his running mates and he garners all this sympathy under the guise of loyalty. Seems like scammer-like to me. This would apply to a guy like Beal as well.

Just looked and saw his 36 year-old, Year 13 player option ('26-'27) is for $63MM :wow: :sick:

Is Dame lowkey a finesser? Not saying he isn't an elite talent and isn't worth his massive deal. I mean it in the sense that he gets the massive deal, gets to put up jumbo numbers but no one ever expects anything of his teams. In fact folks (mostly casuals) feel bad for him because of his running mates and he garners all this sympathy under the guise of loyalty. Seems like scammer-like to me. This would apply to a guy like Beal as well.

Just looked and saw his 36 year-old, Year 13 player option ('26-'27) is for $63MM :wow: :sick:
I just think he realizes that Ringz Culture ain’t worth uprooting your fam, playing second fiddle to Bron (or someone similar), catching heat for not winning titles and probably values being the face of the organization over dealing with all that. Seeing how KD was talked about after joining the Warriors (and winning) probably doesn’t help either. I don’t think they’re finessers at all. I think he just did the cost benefit analysis and said “yea I’m good”. He’s referenced how gratifying it looked for Giannis to finally get over the hump but he also isn’t Giannis.

S&T for Dame w/ LA maybe for those coveted picks to end the decade?

They send DLo + filler & a couple youts as well.

DLo might keep them exactly where they are so what is there to lose?

What nobody realizes is that Dame is reading from the exact same playbook as Steve Nash. Like..to a tee. Nash kept running that same loyalty play even tho he clearly wanted out and there was nothing going on in PHX for years after their window closed. He refused to demand a trade he obviously wanted so he could avoid any backlash and by the time the Suns put him out of his misery and sent him to a would be contender he was a broken down shell of himself. Nash was one of my favorite players so I kept up with this whole saga :lol:. If podcasts were poppin back then you'd see Nash making his rounds spewing the same BS as Dame, he'd mention it every chance he could. Unfortunately seeing it play out the same way with Dame and all these injuries towards the end of his prime

Just googled 'Steve Nash loyalty'. Look at this bull**** :lol:

Steve Nash never wanted to hear about his name being part of trade discussions. He never wants to flirt about the thought of playing on another team or winning a championship. He has done that before with the Dallas Mavericks and came back empty-handed.

Phoenix would always be his home, city and comfort zone. A place he built his dreams around and a place where he will have his number retired. There is still a lot of work to be done, and it's hard to let a lot of promising potential on a young roster go. They are just three wins away from the Western Conference's eighth spot in the playoffs:smile:lol: ).

Steve Nash values loyalty a lot, a trait that influences everybody in the team, like Grant Hill, who signed an extension even though other teams offered him more lucrative contracts. It is not all about winning, and legacies are built not by who you are, but how many lives you have touched.

Lol

If Steve Nash would have demanded a trade after the first half of this season, no one would have blamed him. His team was awful, and was looking as though they would continue to be awful for 66 games. But Nash neve complained, he never brought up a trade scenario (although many others did, which he calmly and truthfully discussed).
But Nash held up to his word. He would not ask to be traded. Meanwhile the Suns brass stated they would not trade Nash unless he asked.

Don't watch much blazers games, but why have they been bad? Their roster looks solid on paper. Didn't they start the season playing well and winning?

I just think he realizes that Ringz Culture ain’t worth uprooting your fam, playing second fiddle to Bron (or someone similar), catching heat for not winning titles and probably values being the face of the organization over dealing with all that. Seeing how KD was talked about after joining the Warriors (and winning) probably doesn’t help either. I don’t think they’re finessers at all. I think he just did the cost benefit analysis and said “yea I’m good”. He’s referenced how gratifying it looked for Giannis to finally get over the hump but he also isn’t Giannis.
Agree with all this.

Funny coincidence too because I was listening to a sports show on the radio yesterday and a baseball “insider” gave a very similar explanation as to why Mike Trout has stayed with the Angels and still doesn’t seem interested in going anywhere else. Just doesn’t see the benefit of potentially winning a ring outweighing making a ton of money being the face of a franchise with a fanbase that loves him and doesn’t press him about lack of postseason success.

This is all fair and makes a lot of sense. You're right - I feel like as fans sometimes we get wrapped up in the Ringz Culture and don't consider these guys are real people with families, and both lives and interests outside of basketball. Kind of makes the whole concept of ring chasing to super teams in your prime seem more intense. Shows how much those guys care about winning/their legacy.

KD is single with no kids, right? Just his mom and siblings who I presume are in DC. If so, he can really shamelessly team hop with minimal impact (as he has been :lol: )

This is all fair and makes a lot of sense. You're right - I feel like as fans sometimes we get wrapped up in the Ringz Culture and don't consider these guys are real people with families, and both lives and interests outside of basketball. Kind of makes the whole concept of ring chasing to super teams in your prime seem more intense. Shows how much those guys care about winning/their legacy.

KD is single with no kids, right? Just his mom and siblings who I presume are in DC. If so, he can really shamelessly team hop with minimal impact (as he has been :lol: )
I had forgot that Bron tampered with Dame before they got Russ until someone posted it in the group chat today :lol:. He basically says as much in this Chris Haynes puff piece. He got like 50 family members who live in Portland and he’s the man there. Plus Adidas HQ is there. Going and being the 3rd most popular guy on the Lakers ain’t even worth it, especially after they had already won one.

What nobody realizes is that Dame is reading from the exact same playbook as Steve Nash. Like..to a tee. Nash kept running that same loyalty play even tho he clearly wanted out and there was nothing going on in PHX for years after their window closed. He refused to demand a trade he obviously wanted so he could avoid any backlash and by the time the Suns put him out of his misery and sent him to a would be contender he was a broken down shell of himself. Nash was one of my favorite players so I kept up with this whole saga :lol:. If podcasts were poppin back then you'd see Nash making his rounds spewing the same BS as Dame, he'd mention it every chance he could. Unfortunately seeing it play out the same way with Dame and all these injuries towards the end of his prime

Just curious....do you consider their window closing in '07 or '10? I totally forgot they went to and lost 4 WCFs in 6 seasons ('05, '06, '07, '10)

so we considering staying with one franchise, showing up for work everyday, putting in the effort to be finessing now? It’s not his job to be the GM or coach or owner. He goes above and beyond in his role and he hangs his hat up at night sleeping soundly because he gives what he has out there and commits to what’s in front of him. It’s like telling a successful guy with a non trophy wife that he should be trading up. Some people just built different and enjoy the process of making the most of the situations they are in and live with the highs and lows of it.

I had forgot that Bron tampered with Dame before they got Russ until someone posted it in the group chat today :lol:. He basically says as much in this Chris Haynes puff piece. He got like 50 family members who live in Portland and he’s the man there. Plus Adidas HQ is there. Going and being the 3rd most popular guy on the Lakers ain’t even worth it, especially after they had already won one.

Yeah, I imagine the family thing is huge. Must be pretty cool to have your fam/extended fam nearby to watch your games. I didn't even realize the Adidas HQ was there!

If I am going to keep it :emoji_100: , we make loyalty jokes but if I was a HOF/Top 75 player, I would probably rather be the face of the franchise for the team that drafted me than going to the Lakers with Bron and AD too. There is value in that too.

so we considering staying with one franchise, showing up for work everyday, putting in the effort to be finessing now? It’s not his job to be the GM or coach or owner. He goes above and beyond in his role and he hangs his hat up at night sleeping soundly because he gives what he has out there and commits to what’s in front of him. It’s like telling a successful guy with a non trophy wife that he should be trading up. Some people just built different and enjoy the process of making the most of the situations they are in and live with the highs and lows of it.

Nah, I admitted the error in the statement. I was looking at it too narrow-mindedly and thinking purely about rings and nothing less.

:lol: at the trophy wife analogy.

Fitting this comes out on St. Patty's Day

I meant to comment on this the other day. People call Lakers, Sixers, Yankees, Cowboys, etc. fanbases "toxic" when in reality they are just die-hards and/or homers. The Celtics fanbase is actually a toxic fanbase when you hear comments like this or what Draymond said about the Finals. That is what toxicity as a fanbase really looks like IMO.

But the suns made the WCF in 2010. He got traded 2012. He stayed an extra two seasons.

And how in the world were you a Nash fan back then as a Laker fan. I hated that man.

Back
Top Bottom