The Official NBA Thread: Celtics Lead 3-1 in the NBA Finals | RIP Jerry West

I just think their best course of action is to drag this thing down into Top 10 this year - take a young guy with upside, then convey the pick next year and have effectively the next 12 months from there to figure out the next "big" move.

This draft aligns really well with what they realistically need - then next offseason Tim and Bertans are another year closer to real flexibility with a year left for each of them.

Way more mobility at that point with contracts, the cap, all your picks. The "downfall" of the Mavs is really probably the best thing for them right now.
Hopefully it doesn't sour Luka too much but that's exactly what needs to happen. They're too far gone to make any impactful improvements

Just gotta wait til cap room opens up again and actually hit on any draft picks you have the rights to

I just think their best course of action is to drag this thing down into Top 10 this year - take a young guy with upside, then convey the pick next year and have effectively the next 12 months from there to figure out the next "big" move.

This draft aligns really well with what they realistically need - then next offseason Tim and Bertans are another year closer to real flexibility with a year left for each of them.

Way more mobility at that point with contracts, the cap, all your picks. The "downfall" of the Mavs is really probably the best thing for them right now.

I agree, this is just the 1st season in the Luka era where the team didn’t get better year over year and it was foreseeable and preventable with the resources they had

$50 nowadays is like $5 but it’s the thought that counts. Good guy Goober
Its at least a tank of gas on most cars based on current OKC pricing which is like $2.50 or 1 to 2 more Christmas presents. I could use it right now, electric bill was almost $200 this month and i dotnt even be over here like that

Hart, Keon, and picks is the best POR can do for OG. Third team can take Hart and send extra pick to TOR.

Another option could be Vanderbilt.

I agree, this is just the 1st season in the Luka era where the team didn’t get better year over year and it was foreseeable and preventable with the resources they had
Foreseeable, maybe.

I don't know that the Brunson thing was wholly preventable. Just not entirely convinced it mattered how much money they put on the table - and still don't fault them for not getting married sooner.

The Donnie rookie contract blunder is the part that screwed them.

Foreseeable, maybe.

I don't know that the Brunson thing was wholly preventable. Just not entirely convinced it mattered how much money they put on the table - and still don't fault them for not getting married sooner.

I really think Brunson would have signed the 50 million extension he was eligible for but was never offered

Once he started breaking out it was a wrap

A 50 million dollar extension on a 24 year old is not some kind of franchise altering blunder if it didn't pan out

Brunson played well during the regular season and in his first Playoff against a great LAC team, didn't play amazing. He still played decently enough. All in all- there's zero reason to not offer the guy an extension

Foreseeable, maybe.

I’ve heard the Mavs had a hard walkaway number of 23 million a year and he would have stayed if they paid,

The person that told me this told me this before it went public he was gone.

I believe it because Skin started doing PR on twitter an hour later

This makes it look so f'n bad. I don't even get upset anymore but I don't give Dallas front office any passes for ****

They fumbled Jalen multiple times and could have had him on a great deal

Dallas could have signed Brunson to a four-year extension for as much as $55.5 million before the season, but the Mavs didn't offer it then nor did they engage in negotiations with Brunson's representatives. He was coming off a disappointing first playoff series of his career, as former Mavs coach Rick Carlisle drastically cut Brunson's minutes in the final few games of the seven-game exit against the LA Clippers.

"It sat with me all summer," Brunson said at the start of training camp.

Nor were the Mavs willing to make that commitment midseason, when Brunson had transitioned from sixth man to starter and was thriving. An extension would have handcuffed the Mavs from including Brunson if a trade for a star materialized. Dallas offered the extension immediately after the Feb. 10 trade deadline, when Mavs forward Dorian Finney-Smith signed an identical deal.

"I told him once the season is started, that's it," Rick Brunson says. "I told the Mavericks, 'Once the season is started, there's no contract talk,' and I went back against my word. In January, I thought he did enough where he deserved [the extension]. I said, 'Hey, take the money, man.' He wants security. He wants to live here. And they declined.

"He didn't turn s--- down. Y'all declined first. When y'all came back to him, we said, 'Hey, we just want to finish out the season and go from there.'"

This makes it look so f'n bad. I don't even get upset anymore but I don't give Dallas front office any passes for ****

They fumbled Jalen multiple times and could have had him on a great deal

Dallas could have signed Brunson to a four-year extension for as much as $55.5 million before the season, but the Mavs didn't offer it then nor did they engage in negotiations with Brunson's representatives. He was coming off a disappointing first playoff series of his career, as former Mavs coach Rick Carlisle drastically cut Brunson's minutes in the final few games of the seven-game exit against the LA Clippers.

"It sat with me all summer," Brunson said at the start of training camp.

Nor were the Mavs willing to make that commitment midseason, when Brunson had transitioned from sixth man to starter and was thriving. An extension would have handcuffed the Mavs from including Brunson if a trade for a star materialized. Dallas offered the extension immediately after the Feb. 10 trade deadline, when Mavs forward Dorian Finney-Smith signed an identical deal.

"I told him once the season is started, that's it," Rick Brunson says. "I told the Mavericks, 'Once the season is started, there's no contract talk,' and I went back against my word. In January, I thought he did enough where he deserved [the extension]. I said, 'Hey, take the money, man.' He wants security. He wants to live here. And they declined.

"He didn't turn s--- down. Y'all declined first. When y'all came back to him, we said, 'Hey, we just want to finish out the season and go from there.'"
I don't believe any of the PR nonsense his dad started spouting mid-year.

I don't blame you for not giving the Mavs a pass, but I also don't really buy that he'd have signed that deal.

I feel like people weren’t upset enough at the mavs for this brunson situation in real time. There was a lot of justification going on in the offseason. Mavs fans were happy that the knicks paid him instead of the mavs.

I don't believe any of the PR nonsense his dad started spouting mid-year.

I don't blame you for not giving the Mavs a pass, but I also don't really buy that he'd have signed that deal.
After how much was made about him playing terribly against LAC, he wouldn't take a 55 million deal?

I'm not buying that logic. They failed to offer him a deal, twice. They got greedy and wanted to try and see if they could trade him for someone before the deadline

Terrible process through and through man

Back
Top Bottom