The Official NFL Off-Season Thread - Tony Gonzalez traded to the Falcons

post anything from trades/trade rumors, coaching changes, free agent signing, or anything relative

i'm not sure if one was made yet, if so lock

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/jamarcus-russell-might-be-facing-ankle-surgery-199985.html
JaMarcus Russell might be facing ankle surgery

February 5
Sacramento Bee
"Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell might need ankle surgery this offseason, team owner Al Davis said Wednesday. Russell is in Alameda after spending some time back home in Mobile, Ala. "He's got some physical problems that have to be taken care of," Davis said. "I think his ankle was bothering him at the end of the year. He had some chips in there so they may have to do something with that." Russell injured his ankle Nov. 16 in Miami but finished the season without missing any time. A knee injury cost Russell the Nov. 9 game against the Carolina Panthers."

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/tj-skeptical-about-return-200279.html
T.J. skeptical about return

February 6
Cincinnati Enquirer
"From T.J. Houshmandzadeh's perspective, it sounds like his days in Cincinnati might be drawing near a close. "I really don't know. I can't speak for them but I haven't heard from them which would lead me to assume that I'm out of there," Houshmandzadeh said on Thursday. With free agency set to begin three weeks from today, Houshmandzadeh could be one of the top players on the market and among the most prized wide receivers. Houshmandzadeh led the Bengals last season with 92 catches for 904 yards and four touchdowns. In 2007, he tied for the league lead in receptions with 112. He gained 1,143 yards and 12 TDs. But despite the personal production for the last couple seasons, it's still been ..."

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/lj-wants-out-kansas-city-not-a-fit-for-me-199784.html
L.J. wants out: Kansas City 'not a fit for me'

February 4
NFL.com
"Larry Johnson wants a clean break. From the Chiefs, and from Kansas City. The running back cleared the air on a number of topics in a wide-ranging interview with KCSP 610 Sports Radio on Wednesday, reiterating he wants to play elsewhere next season but also saying that he ultimately would be open-minded to returning if the circumstances dictated. "I'd rather just play somewhere else," Johnson told the station. "This is a rebuilding team. I dont' really think that I belong on this rebuilding team. It's just the way the league works. I've done what I've done for Kansas City. I'm not getting no younger, and the team is getting younger. So I'm not sure I fit in the scheme of things. I never ..."

[h2]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/05/cassel-franchised-by-patriots/[/h2]
[h2]CASSEL FRANCHISED BY PATRIOTS[/h2]
Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 5, 2009, 5:22 p.m.

The New England Patriots announced today that they have designated quarterback Matt Cassel as their franchise player, becoming only the fourth player in team history to receive the designation. The team didn't waste any time securing him contractually for next season; Thursday was the first day to apply the tag.

It's a hefty price tag against their 2009 salary cap, a one-year, $14.65 million salary.

Of course, the Patriots can entertain trade offers for Cassel, who proved to be valuable insurance when Tom Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury.

"Matt has been a pleasure to coach his entire career and last season in particular, when his years of hard work and commitment resulted in a most impressive performance," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said in a statement. "We look forward to working with Matt again in 2009."

The three previous Patriots to be designated as franchise players are kicker Adam Vinatieri (2002 and 2005), safety Tebucky Jones (2003) and cornerback Asante Samuel (2007).

http://www.profootballtal...-franchised-by-patriots/

i was gonna suggest this after seeing a kansas city offseason thread today ... they might get 4 posts this entire 8 months ... as long as boldin or TJ dont goto philly im good ...

I'd love to see Larry Johnson in New England. You gotta wonder how much he has left in the tank. He's gonna be 30 (O-L-D for a RB...that window isclosing), and has a lot of wear and tear on his body. Time is getting short for him....he's probably got another year or two left in him.

*on a side note, didn't he JUST sign an extension before last season? On the flip, who in their right mind is gonna make a trade and not only pick up theremainder of his deal for cap purposes, but he's an over-the-hill player (by RB standards)???

eagles need to get LJ. or maybe a smaller sscale, get Derrick Ward.
A Big Back to compliment Westbrook would be ideal, but ehh whats the point. lol in the midst of typin that I realized Andy reid is the coach and he wouldnt useeither one. NEVERMIND everything I just typed.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

eagles need to get LJ. or maybe a smaller sscale, get Derrick Ward.
A Big Back to compliment Westbrook would be ideal, but ehh whats the point. lol in the midst of typin that I realized Andy reid is the coach and he wouldnt use either one. NEVERMIND everything I just typed.

laugh.gif
I read the first sentence and thought "Man, he'strippin..." then finished reading the rest...
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
@ whatever team that overpays for Housh. He's not a #1...some team will be suckered. A good possession WR, but at 32 years old....I dunno aboutthat...

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

laugh.gif
@ whatever team that overpays for Housh. He's not a #1...some team will be suckered. A good possession WR, but at 32 years old....I dunno about that...

id give him two years in NE. doubt he'd come here tho. he wont play third fiddle to moss and welker

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Originally Posted by dreClark

I hope Oakland takes the reins of Jamarcus next year.
I'll be taking the reins of your girlfriend next week.
And I put the reins back on yours.

Horse looking as $+%+@.

Ole 'Secretariat' in the face looking ***.

Keep THAT $+%+@ in the stable.

Horse looking as $+%+@.

That's no way to talk about Mike's sister...

That's no way to talk about Mike's sister...
Daaaaaamn you %@#%$*@ her too?

I heard she even let this _ Jrain smash.

On that twin bed he got.

Horse looking as $+%+@.

laugh.gif
you twos codewords like "girlfriend" and such when we allknow you be talkin about mountin up on each other, back behind the stable next week.
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Good move by the Pats franchising Cassell, but that's a TON of money wrapped up in one spot, don't they HAVE to trade one of em?
Seems like their depth would suffer with all that $$$ tied up at QB.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Good move by the Pats franchising Cassell, but that's a TON of money wrapped up in one spot, don't they HAVE to trade one of em?
They've gotta move him... You really think they're gonna tie up over 25 million in cap space on Brady and Cassell?

They'll get value, but they're not gonna have a whole lot of leverage given the cap situation that keeping him brings about...

Nowitness41Dirk wrote:
CP1708 wrote:

They've gotta move him... You really think they're gonna tie up over 25 million in cap space on Brady and Cassell?

They'll get value, but they're not gonna have a whole lot of leverage given the cap situation that keeping him brings about...

They can negotiate around those 2 first rounder requirements?

I frigin can't stand how great the Pats are at the draft, they are gonna be able to add a couple picks for a guy they took a chance on way back when, hesat forever, played one real solid year, and now they're gonna be able to cash him out for whatever picks they can get. God I envy those bastards.
laugh.gif

This thread went off-topic too quick...
laugh.gif

What's good with Haynesworth? He's gonna get paid...but is he gonna turn into the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man after he gets his money?

Boldin on Cards: relationship irrepareable
Even if Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner decides to continue his playing career, it might not be enough for Anquan Boldin.

Boldin, a key member of the aerial attack that helped carry the Cardinals to a Super Bowl season, told ESPN's Rachel Nichols on Thursday at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii that regardless of what Warner does, the chances of him remaining with the team are "very slim."

Boldin, quoted in Friday's editions of USA Today, said: "I don't think the relationship can be repaired with the organization. It takes more than, 'Well, we did you wrong and we'll pay you this.' It's not about the money. It was always about the principle, guys being true to their word. I guess I was expected to uphold my end of the bargain, and it wasn't reciprocated."

Boldin still has two years left on his contract, but he's been at odds with the team over his deal for quite some time.

As Arizona prepared for Super Bowl XLIII against the Pittsburgh Steelers, team president Michael Bidwill said the organization has attempted to work with Boldin to restructure his contract and extend it. Fellow receiver Larry Fitzgerald even said he'd consider restructuring his deal if it would help Boldin remain with the team.

"We've been talking to them for two years, and they still haven't made anything happen," Boldin said, according to USA Today.

On the topic of whether he'd request a trade, Boldin said, "I'll deal with my agent [Drew Rosenhaus] and see what we have to do, but my feelings won't change."

USA Today said Rosenhaus declined to comment when contacted.

Boldin had 89 catches for 1,038 yards and 11 touchdowns last season.

"It's too key to our success to let Anquan go," Warner said, according to USA Today. "I don't know if I'm leaning either direction. But [Boldin's situation] is going to be a key piece to it, whether we can do something as a team like this year."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

C'mon Al...Make the move!

Yeah...that was REAL smart by the Pats to franchise Cassel. I wonder if any team is gonna be bold enough to sign him and give up 2 1st round picks?

What's good with Haynesworth? He's gonna get paid...but is he gonna turn into the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man after he gets his money?

I was wondering that also...he's a beast, but he was in a contract year...also, he's coming off a knee injury. Might be a roll of the dice on this one.

he wasnt in a contract yr two yrs ago when he became the best DT in the League.

If ur a fan of any team, U WANT THAT GUY ON UR SQUAD. PERIOD.

I would love to have Boldin on the Dolphins, but I doubt he wants to catch nothin but 5 yard passes all year from CP.
laugh.gif

I think he ends up in Philly, doesn't McNabb work out in Arizona? Wouldn't be too hard to make a call over there and talk to Q.

IMO Donovan Mcnabb has now reached the level of most overated player in the NFL.
I'd hate for any of my fav. Players to go play with him at this stage of his career

Back
Top Bottom