THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 3 Releases 4/13

They're comfy for casual wear, but removing the heel zoom was NOT a good idea for those who actually ball. Lots of stress on the heel and achilles.

They're comfy for casual wear, but removing the heel zoom was NOT a good idea for those who actually ball. Lots of stress on the heel and achilles.
Yeah co-sign that. Was starting to believe that could be a source of AD’s injury but I don’t really want to blame the shoes for that

What does “received as described” mean on Goat?

bought the EYBL 5’s and it doesn’t say “authenticated” instead it says “received as described”

Ok so are Kobe 5 FTB exactly like the OG? Cushion same?
NOOOOO! I learned the hard way, the FTB V are NOT identical to the original 5's cushion set up. Almost certain they used harder foam and I doubt there are ANY Zoom units. I broke out my pair on arrival when they came out and was disgusted by how they felt (And i used to LOVE the OG 5s for ball after breaking them in). Have yet to play in my protros so I can't speak on those, but the FTB were definitely a lifestyle shoe and were not made with the same specs. I really wish I could have found a deconstruct, but Im sure no one wanted to break up such a valuable and rare shoe. But yeah, play at your own risk.

I liked the heel and forefoot zoom on the OG 5s when I use to ball intensely back in 09-10. Now I just enjoy rocking any of the protros I can get casually :lol:

Yea the 5s to me are the all time GOAT shoes to ball in. I don’t think my knees could take that low profile cushioning anymore but those shoes were absolute bliss.

Are the protro 6’s as mushy in the heel as the protro 5’s? I’ve yet to play in any of my pairs since indoor courts are still closed

Kobe 5 Protro > OG 5. The OG’s heel zoom bottomed out on me once giving me a nice bruise on my heel. The traction on the Protro is much needed over the OG as well.

Kobe 4 Protro = OG. Didn’t notice the slight changes they made (thicker traction, no lunarlon forefoot) but I wish they would’ve gone full-length zoom like they did for the 1’s.

Kobe 6 OG > Protro. Granted, I’ve yet to ball in the Protro but my OG pairs are still holding up beautifully. Nike could’ve just retro’ed them exactly how they were in 2011 and they would’ve been perfect. I don’t like the zoom turbo in the forefoot, soft af cushlon foam throughout, and the tighter fit due to the change in the shoe last. The traction is a slight upgrade since they just used their XDR mold from the 2011 Nike iD option that made pattern thicker.

I’ll circle back to this once I play in the 6 Protro. I’m really waiting for those Del Sols to come back out, one of the best colorways imo.

PHX UNDFTD Kobe 1s for work today

7C9AD26F-982E-4E38-98C3-E3DD187DAF00.jpeg

Damn so it seems like the OG's of the Kobe 5's and 6's are better than the Protro's.....which is interesting since I'd figured the Protro's would be updated with new tech and the Zoom unit in the heel and forefoot. I have heard complaints that the Protro's are narrow and tight due to the new narrower shoe last that Nike is using but that's been the only thing I've hard thus far. Some people have to go up a half size.

Wonder how NBA players feel since they've been rocking 5 and 6 Protros like crazy this season. Personally, I'd rather have a shoe with updated current tech, like the Lebron's or PG5's or the Kyries to ball in now. There are a lot better shoes out there now than 10 year old Kobe's, but i understand the nostalgia and stylish look of them....

Damn so it seems like the OG's of the Kobe 5's and 6's are better than the Protro's.....which is interesting since I'd figured the Protro's would be updated with new tech and the Zoom unit in the heel and forefoot. I have heard complaints that the Protro's are narrow and tight due to the new narrower shoe last that Nike is using but that's been the only thing I've hard thus far. Some people have to go up a half size.

Wonder how NBA players feel since they've been rocking 5 and 6 Protros like crazy this season. Personally, I'd rather have a shoe with updated current tech, like the Lebron's or PG5's or the Kyries to ball in now. There are a lot better shoes out there now than 10 year old Kobe's, but i understand the nostalgia and stylish look of them....

You can’t compare consumer products to player products. They can have completely different cushioning if they want and can request it. Like I wouldn’t be surprised if players have full zoom or even more of the OG setup.

You can’t compare consumer products to player products. They can have completely different cushioning if they want and can request it. Like I wouldn’t be surprised if players have full zoom or even more of the OG setup.

Damn thats crazy that each player can request what they want in the shoe.....cushioning, etc.....yea i wouldnt be surprised if the PE's have full length Zoom and what not, diff inserts, etc.....

Guess thats why Nike charges and arm and a leg for their sneakers and retros.....just pass the cost onto the consumer.....

Damn thats crazy that each player can request what they want in the shoe.....cushioning, etc.....yea i wouldnt be surprised if the PE's have full length Zoom and what not, diff inserts, etc.....

Guess thats why Nike charges and arm and a leg for their sneakers and retros.....just pass the cost onto the consumer.....

Not each player but some of them yes.

kyrie, for example, has a shank plate in the forefoot to prevent reinjuring his toe

The only time I can remember seeing PEs use different tech than the retail versions is Kyrie's Hyperdunk 2013. It doesn't make sense for Nike to make a specific tooling variant for just one or two players (by that I mean zoom vs lunarlon, etc. Not orthotic inserts).
I think Nike would only make these exceptions once, but make the player requests the universal option for both PEs and retail. Going back to the Hyperdunk example, the 2015 (which should've been in the planning process around 2013) went back to zoom.

Back
Top Bottom