THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 3 Releases 4/13

you know how good nike is at replacing logos
CE650ECE-1017-4032-AB74-910EC932131B.jpeg
I don’t think Nike would do this. It would be a huge PR negative for them.

It is believed that all future releases of Kobe Bryant-branded footwear and apparel manufactured by Nike will be halted. The Kobe Bryant estate could enter into negotiations with outside brands to form a new partnership. Resell bout to go up smh

Review please!!!
I’ll have to wear em for another session before giving these an honest assessment. Sometimes if I’m wearing a new shoe and thinking about the performance beforehand I’ll keep that in mind while I’m playing and make mental notes. That wasn’t the case in this instance I don’t really remember much except feeling that these were a bit stiffer than my other IV’s so they’ll require a longer break in period. Not that they weren’t good to go out the box but thinking that they’ll get better with more usage.

It’s hard to say, but as a father I side with Vanessa. She lost her husband and their children lost their father. I cannot fathom the rage I would have for someone who went after my grieving family because they took an L on SNKRS... I love the Kobe line but Mamba’s legacy will continue regardless if Nike encourages it or not.

There are three pillars to Nike basketball:
1. Jordan 2. Kobe 3. Lebron. That is it. In 10 years, no one is going to give a **** about Kyries, KDs, Giannis’, or PGs, but they will still want Jordans, Kobes and Lebrons. Nike would be absolutely mentally ******ed to let go of a giant chunk of their revenue and heart and sole. That is BILLIONS of potential dollars LOST for Nike. I seriously want to know who is making this “business” decisions for Nike, they need to be FIRED.

There are three pillars to Nike basketball:
1. Jordan 2. Kobe 3. Lebron. That is it. In 10 years, no one is going to give a **** about Kyries, KDs, Giannis’, or PGs, but they will still want Jordans, Kobes and Lebrons. Nike would be absolutely mentally ******ed to let go of a giant chunk of their revenue and heart and sole. That is BILLIONS of potential dollars LOST for Nike. I seriously want to know who is making this “business” decisions for Nike, they need to be FIRED.
LeBron said it himself he thought he was world wide famous until he went on tour/played in Olympics with Kobe in Asia. Nike would be stupid not to come back to the negotiating table and give his estate a life contract as they did Jordan and LeBron.

Not just stateside but all of China and Asia goes crazy for the Kobe line. I’m hoping something works out because Kobe really is a pillar of Nike history

It all comes down to power in my opinion. I feel like Nike ain't about to let Vanessa make any kinda demands about how they conduct their business. Nike knows they can walk away from Kobe deal and still be fine - they might take a small hit temporarily, but they will continue to grow without Kobe. Them not working out a deal is their way of letting Kobe's estate know that the estate needs Nike more than Nike need's them in terms of Kobe's sneaker line. The Kobe estate is completely fine without Nike too, but when it comes to sneakers they need Nike and Nike knows that.

So here’s what we do know...

Kobe wasn’t happy with the direction of his line post retirement, and really can you blame him?

Nike Kobe A.D - Flop
Nike Kobe AD NXT - Flop
Nike Kobe AD Mid - Flop
Nike Kobe AD NXT 360 - Flop
Nike Kobe AD NXT FastFit - Flop

Protro 1 - not sure if we want to call them a flop, but there were lots of them collecting dust in the outlets.
Protro 4 - again, not sure if we’re calling those a flop but between the FLZ pump fake and the Draft Day colorway no one asked for they really dropped the ball with that release. Carpe Diems and POP’s were cool but seriously so many great color ways that they could’ve chosen from it really was kinda disappointing. I got all of mine except the Undefeated pair either on discount or at a Nike outlet.

IDK, it would’ve been nice if they could have come to some sort of an agreement but I understand both sides were unhappy so it is what it is. Even Jordan Brand it seems went through a weird phase after MJ retired where they had to figure out what direction to take the line. Perhaps this relationship isn’t completely done with after all and they just need to step away from the negotiation table for a little bit.

I wouldn’t say flip but as highlighted the lack of availability in regards to footwear, merchandise, and colorways could have been much better.

Last edited:
Who owns the rights to the Kobe retro line? I would've thought since the shoes were designed and made by Kobe, they belong to Nike so even if there's no deal then Nike could keep re-releasing previous models?

Kobe wasn’t happy with the direction of his line post retirement, and really can you blame him?

Nike Kobe A.D - Flop
Nike Kobe AD NXT - Flop
Nike Kobe AD Mid - Flop

Protro 1 - not sure if we want to call them a flop, but there were lots of them collecting dust in the outlets.
Protro 4 - again, not sure if we’re calling those a flop but between the FLZ pump fake and the Draft Day colorway no one asked for they really dropped the ball with that release. Carpe Diems and POP’s were cool but seriously so many great color ways that they could’ve chosen from it really was kinda disappointing. I got all of mine except the Undefeated pair either on discount or at a Nike outlet.

IDK, it would’ve been nice if they could have come to some sort of an agreement but I understand both sides were unhappy so it is what it is. Even Jordan Brand it seems went through a weird phase after MJ retired where they had to figure out what direction to take the line. Perhaps this relationship isn’t completely done with after all and they just need to step away from the negotiation table for a little bit.
Mids and AD were solid tbh
AD’s could’ve been great but they also fooled us with tech. We thought that heel was gonna be zoom but turned out to be just a window lol

Everything after that was flop.

Still need the Red/Yellow/Purple from the Mids

Who owns the rights to the Kobe retro line? I would've thought since the shoes were designed and made by Kobe, they belong to Nike so even if there's no deal then Nike could keep re-releasing previous models?
PLEASE SEE LAST TWO PAGE OF THIS THREAD

The only reason this line became popular, is because he died. The line was never reliable at the register, and Kobe’s popularity overseas did not prove to move the shoe sales needle in the states where it was most needed. Now nike faces a moral dilemma. Do you take advantage of Kobe’s popularity due to his death? Or do you recognize that not all money is good money, sending a message to your endorsers that you are going to back away, then not pimp them out after they die? Vanessa is right in this situation if she wishes to honor her late daughter and husband.

no doubt Kobe’s estate kept negotiations private, one side of me says there’s NO WAY IN HE77 a brand headed by Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Kyrie, KD, Yiannis Luka and dozens of pro-Kobe athletes (Demar, J-Ma) would have ALLOWED Nike to stiff Vanessa on this deal.

..the other side of the coin, we don’t know what was she asking for... she could’ve asked for them to give her a lifetime deal in Jordan or Lebron’s league, with several perks (seat on the boards, volume stocks for her kids, high kickbacks from sales, etc..) ...unfortunate end, wish there could’ve been a compromise or even a year extension to allow Nike to test the waters more, extend mass production and properly gauge demand for Kobe product.

Last edited:
The only reason this line became popular, is because he died. The line was never reliable at the register, and Kobe’s popularity overseas did not prove to move the shoe sales needle in the states where it was most needed. Now nike faces a moral dilemma. Do you take advantage of Kobe’s popularity due to his death? Or do you recognize that not all money is good money, sending a message to your endorsers that you are going to back away, then not pimp them out after they die? Vanessa is right in this situation if she wishes to honor her late daughter and husband.

0C3A1EA8-DD6B-4028-8844-2FD80DFD19AE.gif

8547ED18-C798-46C6-B9DE-B6CB3CC2E1BE.gif

Nike Kobe A.D - Flop
Nike Kobe AD NXT - Flop
Nike Kobe AD Mid - Flop

Honestly once an athlete retired the interest in their product usually fades.

Most don’t care about the Jordan’s that Jordan didn’t play in. Once he retired the interest in his new shoes dried up too, with the exception of the retros.

That’s just the way it is.

I have to disagree, he was very very popular when he switched to 24 and became the black Mamba, him and Nike marketed everything out of that and they did that pretty well! He is one of the few who had retros while he was still active, had a farewell (FTB) collection, which nobody has had plus came up with the Protro idea, which I think is the greatest idea to come up with when you want to play in "old" silhouettes with new tech and honestly what is so wrong with certain models hitting outlets? This also benefitted his fans who were not able to buy his shoes at retail price.

Back
Top Bottom