THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 3 Releases 4/13

To be fair, Kobe probably was going to leave once his contract was up. His shoes weren’t a priority at Nike, to my knowledge they weren’t huge sellers plus he was retired.

He wanted the reported billion dollar lifetime deal like Lebron but I’m unsure if that was going to happen.

So when it was time to renegotiate a deal with Vanessa, she had things that she wanted implemented like more shoes.

But when it came to money, Nike looked at her like

1636589734215.gif

“How are we gonna pay you more than we paid him”?!?
People forget that these SAT before the accident?

I got Protro 1s for such a good deal before the tragedy. Small part of me is mad I played in them because the value of those now are mind-boggling seeing how easily you could get them before, but I’m glad I wore them - they are damn near perfect for hoops.

I still find it interesting how Kobe Protros sat. The first few drops of the Protro 1 actually sold out fast, and I assume the later color ways sat because there were like 7 colorways and people weren't trying to drop 175+ on every pair.
Full length zoom fiasco definitely hit the Kobe 4 Protro, we didn't see as much colorways release, and the emergence of the freak 1 probably took some sales away.
Accident happened with the Protro 5 and the rest is history.

I still find it interesting how Kobe Protros sat. The first few drops of the Protro 1 actually sold out fast, and I assume the later color ways sat because there were like 7 colorways and people weren't trying to drop 175+ on every pair.
Full length zoom fiasco definitely hit the Kobe 4 Protro, we didn't see as much colorways release, and the emergence of the freak 1 probably took some sales away.
First Kobe 1’s sold out because some were limited. Once the GR colors released that was a wrap. Got my pairs of all stars, homes, and Carolina blues at the outlet for 60 bucks each with that + 30% off discount. The 4’s sat from the get go

i bought a pair of diem 4’s a day or 2 before the accident from dicks for under retail and ALMOST bought a pair of those hideous wizard pairs. A week later they were selling for 300 +. Had to let them go at that price 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
I got Protro 1s for such a good deal before the tragedy. Small part of me is mad I played in them because the value of those now are mind-boggling seeing how easily you could get them before, but I’m glad I wore them - they are damn near perfect for hoops.

I remember sitting in the outlet trying on the 81 pts protros and putting them back on the shelf because I was thinking “eh, I don’t need these”.

They were $99 and there was a FSR ☹️

Nike basketball shoes in general have been sitting for a couple of years, this was not exclusive to Kobe's (at the time). You can find most shoes at outlets a few months after release.. Hell even brand new shoes sometimes if you're lucky... I remember picking up brand new KD 12's (b-grade) for 50% off a month after release at the outlet.

I remember sitting in the outlet trying on the 81 pts protros and putting them back on the shelf because I was thinking “eh, I don’t need these”.

They were $99 and there was a FSR ☹

I went to an outlet 2 weeks before his death and the Kobe 1 blackout's were $60 (and I even had an employee discount on top of that at the time). Still didn't take em... SMH

Yeah, the reality is that Kobes aren't hugely popular or sought after by the mainstream buying audience, and never have been. Honestly, even after his death spiked the prices, if you think about it, the prices really aren't that high now for most of them. Especially when you consider the fact production volumes have clearly been low, Kobe is dead, and the contract is over. And yet a lot of his shoes don't command more or much more than a retro Jordan 2 made to look like it's falling apart. Vanessa was living in a delusion thinking she could get a LeBron-type deal. Nike just isn't going to be able to move enough product to make it a viable business enterprise until she comes down to earth on the money. Frankly, I struggle to see how a billion-dollar LeBron deal makes sense, either, but I'm not privy to any sales data so who knows.

Yeah, the reality is that Kobes aren't hugely popular or sought after by the mainstream buying audience, and never have been. Honestly, even after his death spiked the prices, if you think about it, the prices really aren't that high now for most of them. Especially when you consider the fact production volumes have clearly been low, Kobe is dead, and the contract is over. And yet a lot of his shoes don't command more or much more than a retro Jordan 2 made to look like it's falling apart. Vanessa was living in a delusion thinking she could get a LeBron-type deal. Nike just isn't going to be able to move enough product to make it a viable business enterprise until she comes down to earth on the money. Frankly, I struggle to see how a billion-dollar LeBron deal makes sense, either, but I'm not privy to any sales data so who knows.
I think just the fact that some Kobe protros used to be outlet bound prior to his death and what resell was on said shoes or even any kobe in general now is the point that people are making. I would argue that Kobes were pretty popular even before his passing. I mean I wasn't too big on the AD stuff, but 5-11 and even the protro stuff, people were buying. OW2's are moving because stock just seemed incredibly low so comparing that resell to kobes really doesn't make sense. I thought Vanessa wanted Kobes to be more accessible across the board, even in gs sizes. That was probably another reason for the pause in talks with Nike.

You’re right, Kobe’s weren’t popular to the mainstream market. Mainly because people bought them to actually play basketball in. That’s what I respected and liked about the Kobe line.

It was similar to Jordan’s 28+, people bought them specifically for basketball. Yes there were limited models that drew some interest but for the most part, it was Kobe fans or people who played basketball.

Also once you retire, no one really cares about your shoes anymore because you’re not on the court. Look at MJ as an example, the mainstream market only cares about the pairs that he actually played in.

I understand that things are more sought after in death, but I’m tired of these so called Kobe fans that didn’t care about or buy his shoes when he was alive.

But now they’re all

1636758623591.gif

about every Kobe shoe driving the prices up.

1636758680928.gif

I had to look up how much Kobe 1s were going for after reading some of the posts here.
LOL at Kobe 1s Protros going for $300+ :lol:
I'm sure they're comfortable with the full length Zoom, but those are the worst looking Kobes imo out of the entire 1-11 line, along with the Kobe 2s.

The 1’s are one of my favorite models of his and you said they’re worse than the 2’s?:rolleyes

We’re all entitled to our opinions but…

Nah they're better than the 2s, but the 1 and 2s are the weakest out of the entire 1-11 line - aesthetically.

Nah they're better than the 2s, but the 1 and 2s are the weakest out of the entire 1-11 line - aesthetically.

What’s crazy is I didn’t really pay attention to the 1’s when they first came out. But once the Protro 1’s came out I had to have them! They’re one of my favorite Kobe models if not my favorite.

And the full length Zoom

1636767559609.gif

Apparently everyone else doesn’t like the 1’s as much as me and that’s alright:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom