THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 3 Releases 4/13

Thats all cool. I don't personally discern between real or fake or recent fans. You can be a fan of the man, or his skills, or his dedication, sneakers...It's all timeless stuff. The only people I have a disdain for are those using Kobe's death for extreme profit. Those people aren't fans, they're leeches.

EDIT: My use of the word "exclusive" was not in reference to limited drops or exclusive products. It's about excluding people in general. Kobe was very much inclusive, internationally.

How can you call yourself a fan when you were willing to pass on things when he was alive? Why does Kobe have to die for you to decide "Hey, I want those shoes?" It's lame, no matter how you try and frame it.

I say this as a Celtics fan who absolutely despised him. Always laughed whenever the Lakers lost. But despite all of this, I always, always, ALWAYS respected his passion in delivering a great shoe. You know those press releases or events that Nike puts out for each signature shoe, where they have a player talk about the latest model? Kobe was the only guy who knew what he was talking about, and really had a hands-on approach with the design and performance he wanted from each shoe. I can't remember which model, but Kobe was there asking the designer to make the shoe lighter by shaving a few millimeters off the side of the shoe. He was that precise. Meanwhile you got guys like Kyrie and KD who just say "Make a colorway for my aunt.", "Make me a shoe for Spongebob Squarepants".

There's plenty of memorobilia around for Kobe. Just go on YouTube. It's completely free.

I'm no johnny-come-lately when it comes to Kobe, but I can't be mad at people who want memorabilia for one of the greatest basketball players ever. None of us expected it to end like this. We expected to watch Kobe get older and join the ranks of hoops history vets, analyzing the evolving game, continue to innovate footwear, and even re-releasing his old footwear for those who never got the chance.

I never ended up picking up any Protro 4s...first because I didn't like the material choices, then because of colorways. Then FTB released and I was like bet, I'll just wait out the price a little as I'd done a million times before. Now it's gone and I wish I'd picked up the Carpes, Del Sols, not to mention the missed XI colorways I waited on, the black Protro 1s...the various models I never even got a chance to try out.

I do resent resellers/scalpers as much as any of you. Unfortunately this is just how capitalism works. Demand goes up, so does price. It's disgustingly inhuman but that's the society we live in. I hope that Nike releases everything Kobe that can possibly be released, in huge huge numbers. Flood the market, calm the public demand, effectively neutering the resale market. I personally don't give a s#$% about the monetary value of my Kobe collection because it's a collection, not an investment with an expectation for ROI.

And IMO, anybody who doesn't own anything Kobe should be able to celebrate the man the same way we believed we'd be able to celebrate him if he were still alive. No hate or disrespect to previous posts, but this shouldn't be an exclusive club. Kobe brought so many people together; including lots who aren't as vocal about it as we are, including many who were too young/broke to buy his gear first time around but have a little money now that the Protros were around.

Sorry for the rant guys. It's all love.
The problem about flooding the market is then Nike is seen as the one who's exploiting fans. They're the monsters who are profiting off the man's death. The way I see it, this is a lose-lose situation. Either Nike profits or resellers profit, pick your poison. Sure, Nike can make a statement that says they're donating all the proceeds to Kobe's foundation, but at the end of the day, I'm sure some people will still feel like Nike is exploiting somehow.

How can you call yourself a fan when you were willing to pass on things when he was alive? Why does Kobe have to die for you to decide "Hey, I want those shoes?" It's lame, no matter how you try and frame it.

Let me just preface this by saying I hoop in all my Kobes. But there were some Kobes that I wanted but never purchased because I refuse to pay so much for a sneaker I'm going to beat up in the gym so I was gonna let them sit and hope the prices slowly decrease to the point that I'm comfortable paying. But after his death, all the prices shot up like crazy so those pairs are pretty much unattainable for me now.

Let me just preface this by saying I hoop in all my Kobes. But there were some Kobes that I wanted but never purchased because I refuse to pay so much for a sneaker I'm going to beat up in the gym so I was gonna let them sit and hope the prices slowly decrease to the point that I'm comfortable paying. But after his death, all the prices shot up like crazy so those pairs are pretty much unattainable for me now.

Fine and dandy, but I was referring to people who hadn't owned a pair of Kobes before. I'm in a similar predicament as you. I wanted some protro Vs and was waiting on new colorways (I slept on the Chaos because I had no idea they were going to be that limited.) I was also waiting for the Wizenard 4s to hit the sale racks. It's just lame that people who had never paid any interest to Kobe before now want his shoes. Same chumps who were chasing Yeezys and Off-Whites are now going after SBs and Kobes. Just goes to show that people no longer buy what they like, and instead, buy what everyone else wants.

Agree with you guys. Total lose-lose. But I'd rather people exploiting Kobe's death lose more than any real fan, potential fan, or even for entities like Nike who have been a part of creating what we're all so passionate about. Maybe my suggestion of flooding the market is coarse and short sighted, and I'm sure Nike and the like are weighing all their options in cooperation with the Bryant estate.

All in all I think they should take their time and do what's right - which I admittedly have no idea what that is.

I also can't help but wonder the demographic of who's going out there and spending 500+ on a pair of XI Bruce Lees.

Got my Time mag this morning from local Vons. They actually didn't have them at the magazine rack. They placed all the mags featuring Kobe at one of the registers endcaps. It was a nice display, looked like about 12 different magazines doing commemorative issues. I think I'm gonna go back and grab the LA Times one.

Some solid points being thrown around. Sad fact of life for humans is that we never really know what we have until its gone and it takes tragic events for whatever reason for us to unite. Fools all one in the same. Im just thankful we have a post to come and share memories, kicks, magazines etc Kobe related following such an unreal passing.

UN’DSd these today. My favorite XI :smokin 7761D527-0F8E-4B8C-9236-DA5CD20A38DF.jpeg
RIP Mamba.

Shared my Kobe kicks story a while back. Love seeing and hearing the stories. I was able to dig up some more stuff.

I’ll start this off by saying that growing up MJ and AI were my guys and the teams I always rooted for were the Bulls (MJ), Sixers (AI) and the warriors because I’m in the Bay Area. All this was a recipe for me to despise Kobe and the lakers. The MJ comparisons, how he destroyed the sixers in the finals, and of course the in state rivalry games against the Warriors. I really enjoyed rooting against Kobe but always watched him because he was so good. As I got older, I learned to appreciate what he was doing, to not “hate” on another grown man that I don’t even know. I’m so happy I appreciated him before he retired. I made it a point to watch a game live during his final season (the game where he was all wrapped up and memes started the next day), and even watched his final game instead of watching the warriors 73rd win. 😂. Anyways enough of the rambling. Here’s some stuff(Bobblehead was from the last game I saw him during his final season, kept the ticket of course). Slam covers were epic. What you guys know about starting lineups 😂😂😂
968DA74D-5916-4BC6-BC50-4190891A9C49.jpeg
1A97A8AD-B02C-430D-AA2F-694CBF8F8294.jpeg
1E44FFD8-17CE-47EE-A1DB-18D30580587A.jpeg

Nike did not remove Kobe’s line and products to stop them from being bought by resellers. Kobe had a contract with Nike that stated the % he gets from each sell. Until Nike can figure out where that % goes there will not be anymore sales. Nike is being respectful of Kobe’s family and not going to rush the paperwork to his lawyer/family while they are still dealing with the trauma. Once the paper work is complete and all parties are happy with the business side, Nike doesn’t care if a reseller buys all the stock......

do you guys really think Nike cares who or why products are flying of the shelf:lol:

also Kobe and his Parents didn’t get along and a lot has to do with financial disagreements. If his parents come for that Nike money, don’t expect any products anytime soon

If any part of that is true it should all go to Vanessa, his children, and whatever charity or foundation they want to support in his name.

It is sad that true fans who want to get a shoe that they may have waited for to purchase now have to deal with the ridiculous markups that these resellers are trying to get. I was one of the people in the minority who actually liked Kobe's Adidas years! Loved those shoes. Had almost all the OGs (LOVED the Top Ten 2000s) back when they were new. Those retros had little value (compared to his Nikes) and now there are idiots trying to get several grand for a pair of Crazy 97s!! UNREAL!!

I was a MJ fan growing up and Sixers fan as I'm in the Philadelphia burbs but always respected Kobe's game. Plus he was only 2 years younger than me and his HS games were on local TV (Lower Merion is outside of King of Prussia and near the Main Line). So he was in all the local papers.

My only regret is I never got one pair of the IX Elite highs when then released. But now, I'm trying to track down a pair of of the Neo Turquoise "Perspectives" and it's a royal PITA with what people think they can get for them! I'll keep trying to find the nice pair for a fair price and hopefully if the stupid weather would cooperate, I'll un-DS my XI All-star games!!

Last edited:
It is sad that true fans who want to get a shoe that they may have waited for to purchase now have to deal with the ridiculous markups that these resellers are trying to get. I was one of the people in the minority who actually liked Kobe's Adidas years! Loved those shoes. Had almost all the OGs (LOVED the Top Ten 2000s) back when they were new. Those retros had little value (compared to his Nikes) and now there are idiots trying to get several grand for a pair of Crazy 97s!! UNREAL!!

I was a MJ fan growing up and Sixers fan as I'm in the Philadelphia burbs but always respected Kobe's game. Plus he was only 2 years younger than me and his HS games were on local TV (Lower Merion is outside of King of Prussia and near the Main Line). So he was in all the local papers.

My only regret is I never got one pair of the XI Elite highs when then released. But now, I'm trying to track down a pair of of the Neo Turquoise "Perspectives" and it's a royal PITA with what people think they can get for them! I'll keep trying to find the nice pair for a fair price and hopefully if the stupid weather would cooperate, I'll un-DS my XI All-star games!!

There weren't Highs for the XI though. Do you mean IX?

I still can’t believe he’s gone.

Recently lost my grandma... it’s weird because I didn’t know Kobe personally and only met him one time, but I think about my Grandma and Kob every day.

Also:

7253B459-C04C-48A6-9C50-6C569E8162D1.jpeg

These are allegedly dropping in March.

Not feeling the black or the Icey soles but folks are gonna go crazy over these regardless.

I am sure you all heard about the Corona virus by now and Nike's factories in China will be affected, just like everybody else's. The factories were supposed to reopen on February 2nd, but that has all been postponed to end of February now and they only allow 100 staff max at each factory at the beginning and who knows when they will run at max capacity again. With Nike running bigger factories, this means that with his tragic passing and the uncertain circumstances in China, it will probably take quiet some time until we see anything Kobe related that has not left China already. Maybe the pair that is announced for March is already stocked in Nike's warehouse?

I am sure you all heard about the Corona virus by now and Nike's factories in China will be affected, just like everybody else's.
Yeah man, that virus is no joke. From what ive heard its airborne as well so even items can carry it for a good couple days. By the time you find out youve contracted it its already too late the fight has begun and may the odds be in your favor. Take however long they need for this thing to safely pass over as its already hitting countries outside of China.

Still my favorite pair of Kobes ever. IX Elites in general are my favorite Kobe signature silhouette (followed by the 7s and 8s), but the Masterpiece is still a grail of mine.

0DF84D85-2F53-43BD-8A58-3C1D463E6177.jpeg
Love the crazy high top construction, the asymmetric multicolor flyknit materials that was different for every pair due to the random pattern of the multicolor knit (still hyped that my pair came with more bright yellow and volt hits than The darker orange and purple), the carbon fiber plates, the traction pattern on the sole, the lunarlon cushioning..just so many things about the IX make them a really cool pair of shoes.

7ABC45B3-ED60-430A-9B90-21E74C605B63.jpeg

Also another cool detail is the Hyperfuse around the ankle as well as the swoosh (if you look hard enough) are actually a bit iridescent in the right light. The details really are so nice on these.

3BF5DD3B-1189-43D2-84B0-49B6988AAD85.png 0C2FFD47-154D-4867-A8CD-29C6B132D33F.png
EA91A508-AEC8-4327-B644-27B1E8B8123E.jpeg CFF2ABCA-BDDE-4F5F-A0B3-64419B5104D4.jpeg
0E0B2B91-3DF3-4F7F-83CB-648F449D605B.png AE22C860-8C4B-4BCB-8CFF-D4484C7F9D29.jpeg 6BD0FEB5-5B58-4F70-B543-CCF76C2829F5.jpeg FB7CECB1-A6FE-42AA-A521-E333FD6E3E29.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom