THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 8-24-24

That’s part of the issue. The Kobe proto 1s and IVs didn’t sell well according to Nike’s data. DSG had to send most of its stock back to Nike. Nike made the

sad truth of the situation is the data Nike has shows that the proto 1s and iv’s didn’t sell well. DSG sent 90% of their Kobe stock back to Nike. The Kobe AD sells were mediocre also. The Kobe hype beast are post tragedy and there isn’t any data to support the sales. Nike is using that data to lowball Kobe’s worth to the brand.

We all know Kobe’s sneakers are going to instantly sell out when they release moving forward. When it comes to contract negotiations, Nike is playing Coy.
This is good news. I won’t get my hopes up just yet but I feel like it’s only a matter of time they get a deal done, Kobe’s done too much for the game and has had a huge impact on Nike basketball. Thanks for the info

That’s there fault imo.

Marketing for everything after he retired for the most part was non existent and the designs were ok at best.

1’s were never gonna sell that great imo. 4’s we’re on track until they told us FLZ and then said ohh nvm they ain’t have FLZ

The 1 kobe 5 we got before he passed. Was sold out almost immediately.
My guy went on a world tour city to city trying to sell the AD and it didn’t work

Kobe wanted to take the Steve Job approach to selling sneakers

That’s there fault imo.

Marketing for everything after he retired for the most part was non existent and the designs were ok at best.

1’s were never gonna sell that great imo. 4’s we’re on track until they told us FLZ and then said ohh nvm they ain’t have FLZ

The 1 kobe 5 we got before he passed. Was sold out almost immediately.

Where I think Nike went wrong marketing wise with the line was stopping the numbering system and turning this into the 'AD' line. The 'AD' line made it seem like it wasn't a Kobe sig anymore and adding onto the fact that he wasn't playing in those shoes was just a recipe for disaster.

As for the protro line, it seemed like Nike forgot the things that contributed to the success of the Kobe 4 and 5 (like you said, the 1's were never gonna be successful because the originals weren't). Not only were they performance beasts, the originals were also $120-$130. So for $120, you had one of the best shoes on the court that didn't break the bank but you could also make them yours with NikeID for an extra $20.

Nike goes ahead, releases the protro, lies about the tech, raises the price by 50% and then says here, take this colourway and shut up.. of course it won't be successful. They basically did everything opposite of the original release.

They also kind of upped the price of the Kobe ADs without updating the tech. I think that contributed to them sitting. I’m guessing 160-180 for just heel zoom was oft-putting to most people. You could get Kyries for a fraction of the price with the same tech. Even, KDs were 150 with flyknit and full zoom.

An exception would be Kobe 360. Those seem to do ok but they were full of updated tech.

Where I think Nike went wrong marketing wise with the line was stopping the numbering system and turning this into the 'AD' line. The 'AD' line made it seem like it wasn't a Kobe sig anymore and adding onto the fact that he wasn't playing in those shoes was just a recipe for disaster.

As for the protro line, it seemed like Nike forgot the things that contributed to the success of the Kobe 4 and 5 (like you said, the 1's were never gonna be successful because the originals weren't). Not only were they performance beasts, the originals were also $120-$130. So for $120, you had one of the best shoes on the court that didn't break the bank but you could also make them yours with NikeID for an extra $20.

Nike goes ahead, releases the protro, lies about the tech, raises the price by 50% and then says here, take this colourway and shut up.. of course it won't be successful. They basically did everything opposite of the original release.
Agreed here. The AD got confusing as to which one was which. You had the AD, AD mid, AD NXT, AD NXT 360 and AD NXT Fast fit. It was just too many at one time.

If i’m bringing them back i would bring back and model it similar to JB so you have your protros 1-11 and then make the AD line (all of them :lol:), Mentality and Rage and venomenon readily available (similar to team jordan’s and the performance models)

I was fully ready to shell out $180 for the 4’s with Full length zoom and be happy af but when it came out that they weren’t gonna have it i was turned off. (still bought them just wasn’t happy about shelling out $180 for “old tech” )

AD def gather my attention. Didn't like em enough for casual and was feong them enough to hoop blue ny 8s and 9s were still good. With the AD mids... also looked heavy and non breathable... so skipped those as well...the nxts intrigued me with the new lacing system... but never dived in. Def hopped on the 360s as they were low and light. @d_eeyou forgot the AD exodus... I did an ID on those... thought they also were heavy so got a pair for the casual. And the nxt fast fit also seemed cool but also looked heavy

AD def gather my attention. Didn't like em enough for casual and was feong them enough to hoop blue ny 8s and 9s were still good. With the AD mids... also looked heavy and non breathable... so skipped those as well...the nxts intrigued me with the new lacing system... but never dived in. Def hopped on the 360s as they were low and light. @d_eeyou forgot the AD exodus... I did an ID on those... thought they also were heavy so got a pair for the casual. And the nxt fast fit also seemed cool but also looked heavy
I knew I was forgetting one I just couldn’t remember what it was
:lol:

The original AD mid, i have the Purple pair, the one Zo wore in summer league, those are BEAT TO HELL. They were great on court for me. I wanted the yellow A.D. mid but so did everyone else apparently and when they hit outlets I could only ever find and 11 never at 12. I do however have the black mamba mid and look at the price I got them at +30% off. (they are still DS because I refuse to wear them) we aren’t ever getting Kobe‘s at this price again
:frown:
F2F91294-D72C-4F14-ACD3-9D476FD47A9B.jpeg

Last edited:
I knew I was forgetting one I just couldn’t remember what it was :lol:

The original AD mid, i have the Purple pair, the one Zo wore in summer league, those are BEAT TO HELL. They were great on court for me. I wanted the yellow A.D. mid but so did everyone else apparently and when they hit outlets I could only ever find and 11 never at 12. I do however have the black mamba mid and look at the price I got them at +30% off. (they are still DS because I refuse to wear them) we aren’t ever getting Kobe‘s at this price again :frown: View attachment 2933469
$50? Sheesshhh, the good ol days

I knew I was forgetting one I just couldn’t remember what it was
:lol:

The original AD mid, i have the Purple pair, the one Zo wore in summer league, those are BEAT TO HELL. They were great on court for me. I wanted the yellow A.D. mid but so did everyone else apparently and when they hit outlets I could only ever find and 11 never at 12. I do however have the black mamba mid and look at the price I got them at +30% off. (they are still DS because I refuse to wear them) we aren’t ever getting Kobe‘s at this price again
:frown:
F2F91294-D72C-4F14-ACD3-9D476FD47A9B.jpeg
I wanted the grey pair from the mentality pack but missed out on them but I shoulda just closed my eyes and copped when they were marked down

E86CE4BD-CE87-423E-91D3-C8E61E7E08B2.jpeg

Brought my AD’s to the gym the other day as well. Could never really get into these…they’re comfortable but I don’t feel supported enough while playing in them.
Definitely was a step back from what we were accustomed to out of the line.
Marked the start of the decline before things completely fell apart but still glad to have two Ids out of the model. There were a couple other gen release cws i liked as well as these.

E86CE4BD-CE87-423E-91D3-C8E61E7E08B2.jpeg

Brought my AD’s to the gym the other day as well. Could never really get into these…they’re comfortable but I don’t feel supported enough while playing in them.
I agree with your statement totally. After hooping in these and then protro 5s, I feel way more locked and supported in the 5's. ADs were still clean to rock to the gym, but that back tab was so irritating. I ended up cutting mine off while I hooped in em. Sadly mine are beat to death and pretty unwearable at this point since the air popped

I'm glad I made the snap decision to wear the Kobe XI All-Star before I left home yesterday. I felt it was appropriate since we were just two days removed from the NBA All-Star Weekend. I only wear them with this jacket and socks. I miss when Nike annually made gimmicky jackets and socks that correlated with an All-Star Game. I admit I got the jacket when I saw online photos of Kobe Bryant & LeBron James wear that jacket during the 2016 All-Star Weekend.
IMG_5900.JPG

It definitely felt good to be the only MF wearing these in the mall I went to yesterday.

A couple of pictures of them on my feet.
IMG_5901.JPG
IMG_5905.JPG

I think the Kobe XI are my favorite All-Star Game shoes of his, especially since it was his last All-Star Game in his storied career. I just liked the design, fabric and colors of them.

I'm glad I made the snap decision to wear the Kobe XI All-Star before I left home yesterday. I felt it was appropriate since we were just two days removed from the NBA All-Star Weekend. I only wear them with this jacket and socks. I miss when Nike annually made gimmicky jackets and socks that correlated with an All-Star Game. I admit I got the jacket when I saw online photos of Kobe Bryant & LeBron James wear that jacket during the 2016 All-Star Weekend.
IMG_5900.JPG

It definitely felt good to be the only MF wearing these in the mall I went to yesterday.

A couple of pictures of them on my feet.
IMG_5901.JPG
IMG_5905.JPG

I think the Kobe XI are my favorite All-Star Game shoes of his, especially since it was his last All-Star Game in his storied career. I just liked the design, fabric and colors of them.
Those kicks are insane

I still think Nike and Kobe estate will eventually work something out. There's just so much history and money on the table there to not.
And you think about how so many NBA players are wearing Kobes on court. Nike ain't dumb, they see that.
Might not happen soon, but I still believe it will happen eventually.
I'm holding on to that hope and not paying resale for any Kobes. The pairs I have will just have to last me till then :nerd:

I still think Nike and Kobe estate will eventually work something out. There's just so much history and money on the table there to not.
And you think about how so many NBA players are wearing Kobes on court. Nike ain't dumb, they see that.
Might not happen soon, but I still believe it will happen eventually.
I'm holding on to that hope and not paying resale for any Kobes. The pairs I have will just have to last me till then :nerd:
We respect that

Back
Top Bottom