The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Few snippets of a recent engagement

Was my first shoot with my new 5d mark 3. Enjoyed it a lot. Weird using a camera w/o a grip but now im not even sure i want to grab one
I can see the difference in image quality from the mark 3 than from the mark 2.

On nike talk i cant.

On lightroom I can tell a difference but I dont know that I like the mark 3 better yet.

What i do know is that i accidentally under under exposed about 50% of my images because the back LCD was so freaking bright by default :rofl:

^^^^^LCD is way better than the Mark 2. Oddly that was one of the first things I noticed from one to the other.

Main real difference between the Mark 2 and 3 is the autofocus, the dynamic range and ISO. I believe the sensor is pretty close to the same aside from the megapixel account. Just like the Mark 4, the Mark 3 is slight improvements but still better than it's predecessor. What sucks (and good for others that aren't Canon shooters) is other companies have made way better advances that the Mark 3 and Mark 4 are almost looked at as old technology to a degree. Apparently Nikon's autofocus, dynamic range and even ISO are all better or on par to the Mark 4 and that just came out. So if you were to buy a new camera, you can get say a Sony A7R2 or a Nikon D810 and save money and get something that is better than the Mark 4.

^^^^^LCD is way better than the Mark 2. Oddly that was one of the first things I noticed from one to the other.

Main real difference between the Mark 2 and 3 is the autofocus, the dynamic range and ISO. I believe the sensor is pretty close to the same aside from the megapixel account. Just like the Mark 4, the Mark 3 is slight improvements but still better than it's predecessor. What sucks (and good for others that aren't Canon shooters) is other companies have made way better advances that the Mark 3 and Mark 4 are almost looked at as old technology to a degree. Apparently Nikon's autofocus, dynamic range and even ISO are all better or on par to the Mark 4 and that just came out. So if you were to buy a new camera, you can get say a Sony A7R2 or a Nikon D810 and save money and get something that is better than the Mark 4.

exactly... all of this.

The big kicker though is that especially for my uses (zoom L lenses), canon is currently crushing Nikon. I don't really care for nikon's zoom lenses all that much in comparison to canons. but thats very subjective to my shooting scenario.

It'll also be nice in low light situations to be able to ride the ISO a little more. Mark 2 max is 6400 and i try to stay 1 stop under the max.

Unfortunately 99% of people using these cameras, including myself, aren't event coming close to pushing the limits of the RAW files enough to even have the dynamic range conversation.

And in 99% of scenarios, its ultimately the photographer that makes the camera.

i love this spot. nice touch with the birds

Was my first shoot with my new 5d mark 3. Enjoyed it a lot. Weird using a camera w/o a grip but now im not even sure i want to grab one

You should post using flickr. These look out of focus on my computer.

You're in Houston too?

but yea some dope spots would be the Sabine Bridge, The Graffiti Building located on 1503 Chartres St., Bagby Park, Buffalo Bayou Park bridge close to the Hobby Center, Discovery Green, Tranquility Park, Market Square Park. That's just downtown.

Eleanor Tinsley Park
Lee and Joe Jamail Skatepark
Williams Water wall
McGovern Centennial Gardens
Preservons la Creation
Mecom Fountain
The James Turrell Skyspace at Rice University

Awwrrady, good lookin out!!

Inside Arch Looking At Mississippi River & the state of Illinois

Highest I've ever been above level ground

Beautiful downtown St. Louis from inside the Arch & The Old Courthouse

Kiener Plaza (A lot of homeless nap on the benches and bathe :smh: :smh: in the fountain. A lady had the soap, scrub brush and everything :wow:)

Main Attraction

The Sliver Surfer

Falling from this height #DEAD

GO CARDS!!!!!! :lol: Busch Stadium to the northwest / Downtown St. Louis & I-44 loop thru under the bridge

Riverboat Cruises / I-64/I-55 Poplar Street Bridge Crossing The Mississippi River. Missouri / Illinois state line rides the whole river for miles

Driftwood under The Arch

Last edited:
Copped a 5d mark III brand new today.

Will be my first brand new pro camera :smile:

We've come a long way bruhs.

I cant thank NT enough for the support

That's my body... thing is wild

Take some time and look at an online guide to set up your autofocus. There is a world of possibility there

i love this spot. nice touch with the birds

You should post using flickr. These look out of focus on my computer.

Dont have a flikr account and dont want one. I might post using my 500px but tbh having tack sharp images on NT isnt a huge priority of mine.

I can assure you the imagery is tack sharp.

Especially the client prints at 20x30

Copped a 5d mark III brand new today.

Will be my first brand new pro camera :smile:

We've come a long way bruhs.

I cant thank NT enough for the support

That's my body... thing is wild

Take some time and look at an online guide to set up your autofocus. There is a world of possibility there

The first thing i did was put it in RAW, the second thing I did was remove auto focus on the shutter button, the third thing i did was change it to single point user selected auto focus.

I upgraded from a mark 2. this is my first new pro camera. All my gear purchases prior to this one have been used.

I can assure you the imagery is tack sharp.

Especially the client prints at 20x30

Anyone have any hidden spots in NYC for street photography? Woudnt mind some cool staircases or backdrop walls or whatever. Not into graffiti though.

From Mount Tamalpais. Need to head back on a foggier day and catch it rolling through the trees.

Also noticed a smudge on my sensor when I was changing lenses. Looks like it's a mark on the glass covering it - picked up a sensor cleaning kit but can't get it off. Doesn't appear to be affecting image quality, but damn...sucks

Snapped a few test shots at high apertures, can't notice any hit to IQ. Figure worst case scenario, if it gets worse it gives me a good excuse to scoop an X-T2 
laugh.gif

From Mount Tamalpais. Need to head back on a foggier day and catch it rolling through the trees.

Also noticed a smudge on my sensor when I was changing lenses. Looks like it's a mark on the glass covering it - picked up a sensor cleaning kit but can't get it off. Doesn't appear to be affecting image quality, but damn...sucks

Dude I'm going to Mount tam next weekend for the first time but during the middle of the day |I Might try and go during sunset instead.

Been following https://www.instagram.com/gettyphotography/?hl=en and his shots from Mount tam are :wow:

I like how he posts his stats also but Mount tam is so large I don't know where he gets his shots from. Where were you when you took that shot?

I'll have to get a 10 stop filter though.....That smudge is no bueno

Last edited:
 Where were you when you took that shot?
The road to the summit was closed due to fire hazard, so I pulled off at the fire station on the way up and hiked about 15 minutes until the trail opened up. Had great views of the coast as well as the city, but the weather was pretty terrible. Hope you get better weather - I've read that sunrise is the best time to get out there. I'd also bring the longest lens you have. I only have up to 90mm (35mm equiv.) and it was way too short. I use 500px to scout locations and get inspiration, and some of the stuff on there is unreal.

Where were you when you took that shot?

The road to the summit was closed due to fire hazard, so I pulled off at the fire station on the way up and hiked about 15 minutes until the trail opened up. Had great views of the coast as well as the city, but the weather was pretty terrible. Hope you get better weather - I've read that sunrise is the best time to get out there. I'd also bring the longest lens you have. I only have up to 90mm (35mm equiv.) and it was way too short. I use 500px to scout locations and get inspiration, and some of the stuff on there is unreal.

I'll check out 500px for sure. Curious as to why you recommend a long lens, I was planning on taking my 24mm

Really depends on the types of shots you're going for, but most of the good ones I've seen that show fog moving through the trees.

This was shot at 35mm:

e65bfc22e0fe6faa25ef0906d77bccbc

Whereas this was shot at 400mm:

4c4ea3fae23db71d2eea75c667e36370

(Neither pic mine)

Check out this guy's work on 500px, has all the exif data: https://500px.com/seunghoyoo

Really depends on the types of shots you're going for, but most of the good ones I've seen that show fog moving through the trees.

This was shot at 35mm:

Whereas this was shot at 400mm:

(Neither pic mine)

Check out this guy's work on 500px, has all the exif data: https://500px.com/seunghoyoo

Ohh I see. Best lens I have is a 24-105 so I won't be able to get those kinds of shots unless I rent one. That guy has some killer shots though, thanks for putting me on.

@bjamez20 is the sensor cleaning kit the wet method? If so, I would get it checked out ASAP, looks like mold and you don't want it to get worse

@yanky shoot at your lens sweet spot should be around 35-100 @ f/5.6-8 IIRC. Also check out the Breakthrough 10 stop ND filter, expensive but read they are neutral and cheaper than Singh Ray.

Are you sure it's a smudge? It looks like mold to me.
@bjamez20 is the sensor cleaning kit the wet method? If so, I would get it checked out ASAP, looks like mold and you don't want it to get worse
Didn't even think of that. I used a wet sensor cleaning kit on it today to try to get rid of it, but didn't make any difference at all. Going to try to swing by Borrow Lenses this weekend and see if they can take a look.

Back
Top Bottom