The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Can I get a few recommendations on my first camera? I've been reading a lot more recently, also beginning to write and also want to get into photography as well. I read the OP and looked into the cameras mentioned, but being 6 years old I'm sure there's been many advances. I want a D-SLR and I know they can get expensive. I'm open to used/refurbished cameras but would like to stay under $300 or at least in the ballpark.

Do you guys think buying a DSLR on eBay is a bad idea? I feel like some of these deals are too good :lol:

Last edited:
In terms of new dslrs on ebay, some are cheaper than US prices because they are grey market. One of the major drawbacks of that is the warranty is not valid in the US or a different country. If you bought a grey market camera and something breaks within the warranty period, you may be screwed by paying hundreds for repairs. If you are interested in Canon go to Canon Price Watch to compare prices.

I buy and sell camera bodies on ebay all the time. Ebay is so pro buyer that you can't go wrong. Warranty issues are different. I would buy a used body from a US Seller before buying new on the Grey Market.

I buy and sell camera bodies on ebay all the time. Ebay is so pro buyer that you can't go wrong. Warranty issues are different. I would buy a used body from a US Seller before buying new on the Grey Market.
what about with lenses? Same stance on the issue?

What's the most expensive thing you put up on Ebay? For some reason I really don't want to sell my stuff via Craigslist. I just feel all paranoid and will get someone that will low ball me more when I meet with them. But E-bay gets me all iffy as well, like the buyer is going to say they never got the package. Any suggestions on what to do when selling? I haven't done it in a while.

What's the most expensive thing you put up on Ebay? For some reason I really don't want to sell my stuff via Craigslist. I just feel all paranoid and will get someone that will low ball me more when I meet with them. But E-bay gets me all iffy as well, like the buyer is going to say they never got the package. Any suggestions on what to do when selling? I haven't done it in a while.

I sell on ebay all the time. What I do is put up a buy it now listing and someone would offer me x amount. I'd say let's do it through paypal so I can avoid the eBay fees. Once they agree I make a detailed paypal invoice including exactly what they're getting, their ebay username and email as well as pictures in the listing for what they're getting. If it's a high priced item I get insurance and signature conformation which would then deter them from saying they never got the package because someone has to sign for it.

If you want to go the ebay route I'd do the same thing just make a detailed description stating you'll only ship to a confirmed paypal address, what they're getting etc. For high priced items always get insurance and signature conformation.

Can I get a few recommendations on my first camera? I've been reading a lot more recently, also beginning to write and also want to get into photography as well. I read the OP and looked into the cameras mentioned, but being 6 years old I'm sure there's been many advances. I want a D-SLR and I know they can get expensive. I'm open to used/refurbished cameras but would like to stay under $300 or at least in the ballpark.

Nikon D3100 is what I started with and it's a pretty solid start. Depends on if you want Canon or Nikon and if you plan on going full frame in the future. If you do then getting the right lenses that would work with full frame would also be a good idea. If you're going to Canon route the T3i isn't a bad choice.

Which would give me a better bang for my buck??

The Ricoh GR or Canon G7 (or Sony rx100?) :lol:

Any thoughts?

all seem like good cameras, but different use cases i think? haven't much used any of these extensively; the ricoh gr is a fixed lens aps-c (relatively large sensor, generally bigger sensor = better image quality) camera which will probably yield the best quality images on a technical level maybe but it is limited to a single focal length, the canon g7 is basically a sony rx100 clone (both around 1 inch sensors, relatively big for a poin & shoot but much smaller than what is in the ricoh gr) that has a longer zoom range, so i think the choice between those two is a matter of personal taste and cost (there are now 4 versions of the sony rx100 probably ranging from around $250 to around $1k))...

rented the 24L last month, here are a few from Turks & Caicos

yikes! very dope!! wish the clouds were popping a bit more though...maybe would kill the chill vibe though...

yikes! very dope!! wish the clouds were popping a bit more though...maybe would kill the chill vibe though...
I definitely agree with you i wish the clouds had more contrast to it, but it was really gloomy that day and I didn't want to overdo it with the editing

Which would give me a better bang for my buck??

The Ricoh GR or Canon G7 (or Sony rx100?) :lol:

Any thoughts?

all seem like good cameras, but different use cases i think? haven't much used any of these extensively; the ricoh gr is a fixed lens aps-c (relatively large sensor, generally bigger sensor = better image quality) camera which will probably yield the best quality images on a technical level maybe but it is limited to a single focal length, the canon g7 is basically a sony rx100 clone (both around 1 inch sensors, relatively big for a poin & shoot but much smaller than what is in the ricoh gr) that has a longer zoom range, so i think the choice between those two is a matter of personal taste and cost (there are now 4 versions of the sony rx100 probably ranging from around $250 to around $1k))...

rented the 24L last month, here are a few from Turks & Caicos

Thanks!

what about with lenses? Same stance on the issue?
Yes. I'll buy anything on ebay. I use the pay after delivery option where Paypal schedules the withdrawl 2 weeks after purchase. Gives me a chance to fully look over the item and test it. Any issues I report. It takes time but seriously if I am saving a ton of cash I do it.

I sold my 6D and 24-105 for almost 2k and have sold computers etc. Crosses fingers (X) I am doing a house purge sale on eBay right now. Hope all goes well. I always use signature confirmation on anything over $200.

I sold my 6D and 24-105 for almost 2k and have sold computers etc. Crosses fingers (X) I am doing a house purge sale on eBay right now. Hope all goes well. I always use signature confirmation on anything over $200.

Right on. I think I am going to list the camera this weekend then. Probably will get crap for it. Cosmetically it;s okay but it has some scratches on the screen since it's not made of the same glass as the Mark 3. I think what could save it a bit is that it doesn't have a ton of clicks on it. I just want $900-1000 but for some reason, I don't think I am going to get that.

[COLOR=#red]Straight from the cam, no post except for what's done with jpeg. #jpeglyfe[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom