The Official "Walking Dead" Season One Thread - Premieres Halloween, 2010

Variety reporting

51sOOU5v6qL.jpg

[h1]Frank Darabont circles zombies[/h1][h2]AMC attacks comic series adaptation[/h2]
[h3] By CYNTHIA LITTLETON[/h3]
AMC is venturing into zombie-drama territory with multi-hyphenate Frank Darabont.
Cableris close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever withDarabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comicsgraphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman. GaleAnne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle ofConfusion are also on board to exec produce.

Project is set amonga group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a policeofficer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. Numerouseditions of the "Walking Dead" graphic novels have been published since2003.

Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming,production and original content, said the project appealed to thecabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work.The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, hesaid.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets,"Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics ofwhat happens when a group is forced to survive under thesecircumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart,sophisticated way."

Stillerman noted that the cabler's annual"Fear Fest" movie showcase around Halloween is one of AMC's mostpopular programming events of the year.

"We've got an audience that loves this kind of material," he said.

Darabontand Hurd pitched the project to AMC and several other outlets. There isno studio attached yet. The duo's involvement made the project amust-have for the cabler, Stillerman said.

"These are two world-class filmmakers who are also brilliant storytellers with experience in the fantasy genre," he said.

One of my favorite comics comes to one of my favorite channels.  I've always said that if The Walking Dead came out as a weekly drama series it would do Lost level numbers.

But @*!$ can we not call it a "graphic novel"? Its a monthly comic series for christsakes.

AMC stepping up big, this could be one of the best shows on TV and given AMC's recent track record, probably will be.

too bad nobody on NT knows what The Walking Dead is...Robert Kirkman ftw

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

AMC stepping up big, this could be one of the best shows on TV and given AMC's recent track record, probably will be.

Indeed.

Originally Posted by MrTracerBullet

Indeed.
i like AMC and this seems interesting...... anyone have more info? what is this a long goin series? or comic books series..... ?

... i dont....
frown.gif

care to take 5 mins of your time to school me?

The Walking Dead centers around a group of survivors making their way through the ruins of society during a zombie apocalypse. Its deals with the realisticresponse normal people would have having to fend off zombies, deal with each other and fight off other survivors who may not have the best interests of theirgroup in mind. Its powerful, bloody, emotional and downright disturbing sometimes.

Elevator-buzzword pitch: Its 28 Days Later meets Lost

Love this comic! Read everything up to about issue 55, need to jump back on it. Straight piff
pimp.gif
Hope AMC does it justice. BTW what other shows do they airon AMC? Not really familiar with that station.

Originally Posted by ekon one

BTW what other shows do they air on AMC? Not really familiar with that station.
Mad Men, Breaking Bad and the new Prisoner mini-series soon. They also aired Hustle which was a great show.

and Robert Kirkman is the writer/creator of the series...he's one of the most prominent writers in comics today, although hes not working at Marvel or DCat the moment

ekon - they have Mad Men, the only show on TV worth watching

Well we're not getting a pilot...

ITS GOING STRAIGHT INTO A SERIES!

AMC has given a series greenlight to "The Walking Dead," the Frank Darabont-helmed adaptation of the Image Comics series by Robert Kirkman.

AMC has ordered a total of six episodes of the series that revolves around a group of survivors of a zombie apocalypse. Darabont penned and directed the pilot and will exec produce with Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion, which will be funded entirely inhouse by AMC parent Rainbow Media. Charles Eglee, a seasoned TV drama showrunner, has also boarded the project as an exec producer.

"Dead" is targeted to premiere in October, dovetailing with Halloween and AMC's annual "Fearfest" two-week marathon of horror and thriller pics.

This is great news. I loved this series and started reading it but sadly it stopped when I stopped reading comic books several years ago.
Which is a good thing because then there will be some surprises when I watch the show.

I need AMC in HD for this show though, I hope Direct TV starts getting it in HD by the time it airs.

I have no idea what "The Walking Dead" is but it sounds promising and I love zombies. That and the fact that Breaking Bad and Mad Men might be the two best shows on TV right now.

Easily my favorite zombie related anything. Ever.

This was supposed to be on NBC, I don't know what happened since the last news.

Rick Grimes > * though.

twd57cvr_big.jpg

i hope they can show gore and curse

mad men is incredible but i always thought it would be better on hbo or showtime. same with lost. guess we will have to wait and see

Robert Kirkman is a baby killer!

Can't wait for the show though. Invincible is
pimp.gif
too.

Haunt is coo too.

ABC keeps trying to recreate that Lost phenomenon. This+Supernatural>>everything they could try.

Originally Posted by James Earl Zones

This was supposed to be on NBC, I don't know what happened since the last news.

Given their recent track record, you should be damn happy it's gonna be on AMC.

Back
Top Bottom