The Oscars: 2024's 96th Academy Awards, 7:00pm March 10th ABC

If that's the narrative you want to go with, then cool. You or I don't know if he and Chris has personal beef outside of social media. All I know is, I bet Chris won't be making anymore Jada jokes I'm Wills presence

Chris Rock won’t be able to physically check Will Smith, but he needs to take Will’s heart in his next stand up special.

It is one thing to say black people should have a standard of conduct because generally, folk should be conducting themselves well in public

Than saying black people should have high standards of conduct because "what will white people think of us"

Like I won't slap someone at a work event, or encourage any of my black friends to do it, but I also don't generally give a care what white people, especially racist white people think of me.

Like Ben Carson's and Barrack Obama's respectability politics might sound the same, both piss me off, but we know they came from different places

A black person's actions good or bad are theirs to own. Most black people, and black actors, in work setting conduct themselves well 99% of the time. If one example is used for someone to form a negative opinion of all black people, then the white person making that judgment was not reasonable and is not someone worth giving a damn about anyway.

I think having a high standard of conduct is always good.
and no I don't personally care what racists think

but I bristle when it sounds like people are using the existence of racism to abandon expectations.

So like if a black person is extra mindful of their standards of conduct because it's a mixed audience and they want to represent their community well
I think that is good a wholly appropriate attitude.

Imo I don't think it's being overly concerned with white people in specific to say that.

In a couple years this will be seen as the slap that saved the Oscars
Or it'll be like Janet titty.

And people will be weird and uncomfortable around will Smith knowing you can't even joke with him anymore. I'm sure plenty of people were laughing at the joke that Rock told, those same people can't then turn around and think him getting slapped was cool.

Yes... Stop being naive. You know how this works. And why do you mention bet? It would be even worse if he slapped Chris over the same joke at the bet awards. Will should no better. The fact that so many of y'all are defending this and see absolutely wrong with this just shows how off code we are these days. I'll let y'all have it.
Wasn’t your dumb *** just crying bout how white ppl treating Deshaun Watson in the media cuz yo “innocent”, but now you want Will Smith to cater his behavior to how white ppl gon react? …Get your **** together if this the lane you trying troll in :lol: :smh:

Yes... Stop being naive. You know how this works. And why do you mention bet? It would be even worse if he slapped Chris over the same joke at the bet awards. Will should no better. The fact that so many of y'all are defending this and see absolutely wrong with this just shows how off code we are these days. I'll let y'all have it.
Off code? Because we refuse to act differently in front of white folks? That just shows how conditioned a lot of you dudes are. Will Smiths act should no way impact someone's opinion about me or any other black person. Will Smith being rich and successful doesn't make folks assume black folks are successful. Racist people are going to assume the worst of black people regardless of what Will did tonight. Stop pretending to be something or someone you're not in front of white folk ls bruh.

its all assumptions for sure but you can clearly see the reaction here and twitter whether it was real or not because even when he was yelling that, many couldn’t tell it was real anger or playing along

all i replied to the other dude was that chris was shocked and didnt think will was gon hit him, dude got approached after a joke the dude was cracking up to a second ago, my initial thought when i saw it live was definitely will was gon laugh along with him or dap him on stage for the joke… thats what i saw the first time i saw it and was confused like other

if i saw someone coming to me looking mad with some violent intent in his eye, i definitely wouldnt be cackling like chris was

after countless replays and seeing the uncensored version then yeah all the assumptions has changed but again my reply to what i quoted was what i thought chris was thinking as he got approached

im really not sure why it took this many back and forth on it :lol:
Whether it was real or not was all based on how it went down and the reactions.

If you recall, for us Americans after Will smacked Chris and walked off stage the audio cut out for over 30 seconds. Video was still on and ppl could clearly read Will Smith's lips and see Lupita's reaction. Then when audio came back Chris was fumbling his words to present the award for best doc.

Even as uncensored and unedited versions of what happened came out it still wasn't clear if what happened was all the way real.

The first thing Chris said when he saw Will approaching the stage was "uh oh". So he isn't naive enough to think it was all fun and games.

Given how professional he remained and that Chris really aint about fighting he simply didnt expect Will was gonna smack him. First thing he said was "WOW".

I think having a high standard of conduct is always good.
and no I don't personally care what racists think

but I bristle when it sounds like people are using the existence of racism to abandon expectations.
Nothing in what elpablo21 elpablo21 said seemed to be saying this

So like if a black person is extra mindful of their standards of conduct because it's a mixed audience and they want to represent their community well
I think that is good a wholly appropriate attitude.

Imo I don't think it's being overly concerned with white people in specific to say that.

Nah, I just can't rock with this. I think it is being overly concerned with white people to say that

I think most black people are capable of acting accordingly in within mixed company/audiences without the motivating factor being to make sure white people are left with a good impression of the black community.

Like if this was the Bet Awards, in front of all black faces, I would feel the same way. That Will should have handled this differently, because an adult can't be outchea moving like this given the circumstances. Even if I understand he felt he had to do it.

Last edited:
Will embarrassed himself. This ain’t the movies (ironically). You can’t just slap people in front of millions bc they disrespect you.

Too bad rock has declined to press charges.

He should sue him if this leads to ridicule for Rock. Lost wages. Emotional distress. Unprofessional by Smith.

Kudos to Rock for being professional afterwards.

Off code? Because we refuse to act differently in front of white folks? That just shows how conditioned a lot of you dudes are. Will Smiths act should no way impact someone's opinion about me or any other black person. Will Smith being rich and successful doesn't make folks assume black folks are successful. Racist people are going to assume the worst of black people regardless of what Will did tonight.
First off you fake wake dudes kill me... I'm not even gonna respond to the other stuff cause you're way off on the point of my posts but since we're on the subject.. Your boy Will has been crying for these same white folks validation for the past decade or say with films like 7 seven pounds, that collateral movie, and concussion. He even spoke about being suicidal when he didn't get an Oscar for one of his films. You can't tell us to disregard white people's opinions and then cape for a dude who lives for their validation.

Wasn’t your dumb *** just crying bout how white ppl treating Deshaun Watson in the media cuz yo “innocent”, but now you want Will Smith to cater his behavior to how white ppl gon react? …Get your **** together if this the lane you trying troll in :lol: :smh:

Yeah defending Deshaun Watson who at a minimum is a sexual deviant but lambasting Will Smith for wylin on Chris Rock because white people will be upset is an interesting stance.

69B88083-67E1-45C6-89A5-FBE7155E0A15.jpeg

I've been on white folks *** for 2 days straight in that NFL thread about Watson but mans is insinuating I'm pretending to be someone else for white folks because I don't condone a black man playing into stereotypes on live tv for the world to see? Y'all are hilarious. All you Will stans please refrain from quoting me any further. I've said my peace and y'all said yours. There's nothing left for us to discuss.

As a black man like I'm assuming you are you understand that perception is very important. Will could've handled that backstage. That joke was light as hell, Will just had a lot of built up anger from being trolled all year about the August stuff and took it out on Chris.... I bet if Steve Martin or Ricky Gervais said this same joke he wouldn't have went up there. I expected so much better from Will. Dude's a walking L in my book. Man ruined the biggest night of his life over a gi Jane joke.
I am a black man. While I try me best to avoid confrontations, I can see people all over are on edge. You never know what people are going through. And to the whole making “us” look bad, I could care less how white people view “us.” We as black people always have to portray this perfect persona to please the same people that show “us” time and time again how they feel about us. The same white folks we are supposed to behave for, don’t even have their own stuff together. Having a open marriage doesn’t mean it’s open season on mt wife.

Yeah defending Deshaun Watson who at a minimum is a sexual deviant but lambasting Will Smith for wylin on Chris Rock because white people will be upset is an interesting stance.
Please don't tell me Osh was outchea in these e-streetz doing this. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom