The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

Anybody think the removal of the statue has something to do with PSU knowing about the announcement coming Monday from the NCAA?

No one can defend the guy anymore. His family needs to stop releasing statements because they look foolish. I was watching espn when they were removing the statue and some dumb kid who is a supporter kept saying fall back to this other guy. He needed to get smacked for still supporting that guy and his statue. If he wasn't a football coach then maybe they'd realize he was an old man who didn't do enough to stop a sexual predator. They'd sing a different tune if they had a younger family member who hung around sandusky.

i knew that would be to cowardly to take out the program :smh:

what can be unprecedented punishment then?

NCAA president Mark Emmert has decided to punish Penn State with severe penalties likely to include a significant loss of scholarships and loss of multiple bowls, a source close to the decision told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday morning.

But Penn State will not receive the so-called "death penalty" that would have suspended the program for at least one year, the source said.

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable
, the source said.

Link

Really curious as to what there penalties will be. 10 years no bowls and 20 scholies a year? Worse? Kicked down into the FCS?

NCAA has to rip PSU's heart out to send a message and at least atone for the wrongs that have been done.

Like it was suggested prior, whomever wants to transfer to another football program should not have to sit out a year. Sad that the non football students who are coming to PSu has to suffer for this as well.

To everyone mad about Joe Paterno's statue being taken down - just look the other way & pretend it's not happening... 
wink.gif

All you gotta do is turn the other way.. That's what Joe Pa did in the first place .. The kids, however, we're facing the back but that was agains their will...

Damn my b

Complete rumor at this point, it's easy for anyone to make something like this up and it's not anywhere on cbsnews.com but:
Via CBS NEWS at 4pm Eastern time today 7/22/12

www.cbsnews.com

Penn St sanctions -

1) SUSPENSION OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS FOR ONE YEAR 

2) NO TELEVISION TIL 2015

3) BOWL BAN TIL 2015

4) NO FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2013

5) ALL CURRENT PLAYERS ON ROSTER ALLOWED TO TRANSFER WITH NO PENALTY

6) NCAA CLEARINGHOUSE TO EXPEDITE AND ADMINISTER ALL TRANSFERS

7) SPECIAL NCAA DISPENSATION THAT PENN ST FOOTBALL PLAYERS WHO TRANSFER, WILL NOT COUNT AGAINST SCHOLARSHIP LIMIT FOR GAINING SCHOOL

8) LOSS OF 8 SCHOLARSHIPS PER YEAR BEGINNING IN 2014 AND CONTINUING FOR 5 YEARS TO 2020. 

9) BEGINNING IN 2014, OPTION TO DROP DOWN TO DIV 1AA WITH NO PENALTY, AND THE RIGHT TO RETURN TO DIV 1A AFTER 2020. 

10) WINS AND RECORDS BACK TO 1998 WILL BE VACATED

11) TICKET REVENUE OFFSET PAYOUT TO BE GIVEN TO SCHEDULED OPPONENTS
n

Those would be pretty severe.  If they actual sanctions are anything like that, I can see that the NCAA would want to minimize the effect on the players but even with allowing them to transfer immediately due to a suspended season (if that were to be effective for 2012...a month+ from now), it doesn't allow them much time to make that decision and then acclimate.  If it were even a month earlier, it'd be a different story.

That being said, it would have a huge impact on Penn St and its football program which is deserved.  Total lack of institutional control beyond money, cars, tattoos, hotels, etc.  I'm just speaking about NCAA's involvement and not the disgusting nature of it all.

That would. Be very severe. Interested to see what happens. Props for the transfers with no penalty and not counting if true

WHOA!!!!!!!!!:x

THIS IS WORSE THAN THE DEATH PENALTY!!!

They should take that FCS route and come back fresh in 2020.

Last edited:
whatever the sanctions end up being I bet they will basically serve as an indirect death penalty

Last edited:
Sorry, it does look like it's not accurate...some articles are stating that there won't be a year suspension of the program.

I could see some of the other sanctions being true.  I think the 1AA proposal sounds a little off and no scholarships for 2013 would essentially force most players to transfer.  If they had to vacate wins since 1998, JoePa is no longer the winningest coach, which should be the case.

Back
Top Bottom