The rationale for not letting openly gay soldiers serve.

Originally Posted by whiterails

Just an example of old white men/religious idiots/rednecks who are decades behind today's society.
Their days are numbered.

I agree completely.  Our generation was raised more to see through the colors of ones faces, and even their sexual preference.  Too bad that the more educated and liberal person typically doesn't vote or voice his opinions as much as the mentioned above.

Originally Posted by whiterails

Just an example of old white men/religious idiots/rednecks who are decades behind today's society.
Their days are numbered.

I agree completely.  Our generation was raised more to see through the colors of ones faces, and even their sexual preference.  Too bad that the more educated and liberal person typically doesn't vote or voice his opinions as much as the mentioned above.

Originally Posted by rashi

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by DaGreatJ

Obama is a failure so far.... He needs to fight with these Republicans. He better be careful before he gets Palin elected.

Sorry but how can be fight with the republicans when the republicans will control congress soon?

As much as I didn't want partisan politics to come up. I have to say, the Democrats had 2 years of an overwhelmingly majority, that isn't an excuse.
End of discussion, ergo, failure.

Originally Posted by rashi

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by DaGreatJ

Obama is a failure so far.... He needs to fight with these Republicans. He better be careful before he gets Palin elected.

Sorry but how can be fight with the republicans when the republicans will control congress soon?

As much as I didn't want partisan politics to come up. I have to say, the Democrats had 2 years of an overwhelmingly majority, that isn't an excuse.
End of discussion, ergo, failure.

Republicans (politicians) are just vile people.

Just now, I was reading about this:

[h1]Senate Republicans block 9/11 health bill[/h1]

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Senate Republicans on Thursday blocked a bill that would provide medical care for firefighters and other responders to the September 11, 2001, attacks who developed illnesses from breathing toxic, dust-filled air.

The 57-42 procedural vote fell short of the 60 needed to advance major legislation in the 100-member chamber. The House of Representatives passed the bill in September and Senate action is needed to send it to President Barack Obama for his signature.

The $7.4 billion measure was one of a number of bills Senate Republicans have blocked as lawmakers push to complete their work for the year.

Republicans have vowed to block any legislation, other than bills to fund the U.S. government, until an impasse is resolved over extending expiring tax cuts for virtually all taxpayers, including the wealthiest Americans.

Republicans argue that allowing the tax cuts for the wealthiest to expire at the end of December as scheduled would hurt small businesses and undermine the sluggish U.S. economy.

They also have balked at the cost of the health measure.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid ripped into what he described as Republican obstructionism.

"Republicans denied adequate health care to the heroes who developed illnesses from rushing into burning buildings on 9/11," Reid said. "Yet they will stop at nothing to give tax breaks to millionaires and CEOs, even though they will explode our deficit and fail to create jobs.

"That tells you everything you need to know about their priorities," he said.

The measure could be brought back to the Senate floor before the current Congress adjourns in the next several days.

When it became clear the bill would not muster 60 votes, Reid ended up voting "no" so he could call for another vote on the bill under Senate rules.

It's not my intention to thread jack. I just thought it'd be important to post this kind of information because it really shows the true colors of the Republican political machine.

Marginalize gays and spit on those who sacrificed their health to protect us on 9/11.

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Senate Republicans on Thursday blocked a bill that would provide medical care for firefighters and other responders to the September 11, 2001, attacks who developed illnesses from breathing toxic, dust-filled air.

The 57-42 procedural vote fell short of the 60 needed to advance major legislation in the 100-member chamber. The House of Representatives passed the bill in September and Senate action is needed to send it to President Barack Obama for his signature.

The $7.4 billion measure was one of a number of bills Senate Republicans have blocked as lawmakers push to complete their work for the year.

Republicans have vowed to block any legislation, other than bills to fund the U.S. government, until an impasse is resolved over extending expiring tax cuts for virtually all taxpayers, including the wealthiest Americans.

Republicans argue that allowing the tax cuts for the wealthiest to expire at the end of December as scheduled would hurt small businesses and undermine the sluggish U.S. economy.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid ripped into what he described as Republican obstructionism.

"Republicans denied adequate health care to the heroes who developed illnesses from rushing into burning buildings on 9/11," Reid said. "Yet they will stop at nothing to give tax breaks to millionaires and CEOs, even though they will explode our deficit and fail to create jobs.

The measure could be brought back to the Senate floor before the current Congress adjourns in the next several days.

When it became clear the bill would not muster 60 votes, Reid ended up voting "no" so he could call for another vote on the bill under Senate rules.

It's not my intention to thread jack. I just thought it'd be important to post this kind of information because it really shows the true colors of the Republican political machine.

Marginalize gays and spit on those who sacrificed their health to protect us on 9/11.

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

if you remember, this was done right before the whole world trade mosque controversy.

The mosque issue was hyped up to draw attention away from republicans voting no on this bill.  Have you heard anything else about the mosque since then?

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

if you remember, this was done right before the whole world trade mosque controversy.

The mosque issue was hyped up to draw attention away from republicans voting no on this bill.  Have you heard anything else about the mosque since then?

My question is why worry about someones sexual preference? Does being gay mean you are less of a fighter compared to someone who is straight?......

Don't ask Don't tell, my question would be Why ask and Why tell?

My question is why worry about someones sexual preference? Does being gay mean you are less of a fighter compared to someone who is straight?......

Don't ask Don't tell, my question would be Why ask and Why tell?

I'm not sure how much different it would be once everything is established and they're on the field already and what not, but my friend just recently came from boot camp as he's going to the marines, and he said that if a drill sergeant even suspected you of being gay he would blast you ten times harder. Also the more "feminine" males I guess you'd call them? also were targeted. Said they went ham on some dude with a lisp for no reason. So if they're doing that to people who aren't even homosexual, what's going to happen when dudes are openly coming through saying they are?
I don't have a problem with it at all. I just don't see the point in having to be open with it. It seems like it would cause more trouble for them than good. 

I'm not sure how much different it would be once everything is established and they're on the field already and what not, but my friend just recently came from boot camp as he's going to the marines, and he said that if a drill sergeant even suspected you of being gay he would blast you ten times harder. Also the more "feminine" males I guess you'd call them? also were targeted. Said they went ham on some dude with a lisp for no reason. So if they're doing that to people who aren't even homosexual, what's going to happen when dudes are openly coming through saying they are?
I don't have a problem with it at all. I just don't see the point in having to be open with it. It seems like it would cause more trouble for them than good. 

rashi wrote:
Upon the Senate's block of "DADT", it makes me wonder the real rationale of not letting soldiers who are openly gay serve. Ignorance and homophobia I find it very hard to believe to be the only reason because this government is the only one on the planet that proudly institutionalizes discrimination against homosexuals openly serving in the military. My wife's brother serves and he says "I don't want other dude 'meat gazing'!". All I could think to myself is "Dude, you are in Afghanistan. People are shooting at you and you are worried about other dudes looking at your 'meat'? Really
eyes.gif
?"

You are a student of Austrian Economics, where is your deference to local knowledge? If actual front line soldiers and marines (as opposed to the generals, Joint Chiefs and Sec. of Defense, who all currently do not have to live in the dirt and engage in firefights on a daily basis) feel that it would affect their morale and cohesion, why foist civilian norms and values on them when it could make their lives even more perilous and miserable.

Tolerance, nay, full acceptance of homosexuality should be the norm in society at large, even among most parts of the armed forces, but it is not wrong to allow an antipathy for open homosexuality to exist among the ethos of that small sliver of our population, men who face gun shots, IED's and the other caprices of the front line, those who people of all political stripes call heroes. No matter your position of a particular war, the American consensus is to "support The Troops," and that should mean granting a degree of autonomy to combat troops when it comes to the selecting those and tragically, those with whom they die.

rashi wrote:
Upon the Senate's block of "DADT", it makes me wonder the real rationale of not letting soldiers who are openly gay serve. Ignorance and homophobia I find it very hard to believe to be the only reason because this government is the only one on the planet that proudly institutionalizes discrimination against homosexuals openly serving in the military. My wife's brother serves and he says "I don't want other dude 'meat gazing'!". All I could think to myself is "Dude, you are in Afghanistan. People are shooting at you and you are worried about other dudes looking at your 'meat'? Really
eyes.gif
?"

You are a student of Austrian Economics, where is your deference to local knowledge? If actual front line soldiers and marines (as opposed to the generals, Joint Chiefs and Sec. of Defense, who all currently do not have to live in the dirt and engage in firefights on a daily basis) feel that it would affect their morale and cohesion, why foist civilian norms and values on them when it could make their lives even more perilous and miserable.

Tolerance, nay, full acceptance of homosexuality should be the norm in society at large, even among most parts of the armed forces, but it is not wrong to allow an antipathy for open homosexuality to exist among the ethos of that small sliver of our population, men who face gun shots, IED's and the other caprices of the front line, those who people of all political stripes call heroes. No matter your position of a particular war, the American consensus is to "support The Troops," and that should mean granting a degree of autonomy to combat troops when it comes to the selecting those and tragically, those with whom they die.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

rashi wrote:
eyes.gif
?"

If it was a private military, there would be no argument from me. But since the State is controlling the show and our military is Socialized, promoting discrimination is just another show of force by the State. Jim Crow Laws were laws forced on people and private business by law and bolstered by the central power, as with DADT.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

rashi wrote:
eyes.gif
?"

If it was a private military, there would be no argument from me. But since the State is controlling the show and our military is Socialized, promoting discrimination is just another show of force by the State. Jim Crow Laws were laws forced on people and private business by law and bolstered by the central power, as with DADT.

Originally Posted by Mr Oizo

The same thing happened on my high school football team. We had an openly gay teammate who was treated really harsh by the coaches and even more harsh by the team. If he never said he was gay there wouldn't have been an issue. Felt bad for the guy

Originally Posted by Mr Oizo

The same thing happened on my high school football team. We had an openly gay teammate who was treated really harsh by the coaches and even more harsh by the team. If he never said he was gay there wouldn't have been an issue. Felt bad for the guy

Back
Top Bottom