The RETRO Gaming Thread!

Gimmie a min... gotta move all this stuff outta the garage. Trying to get pics of the hardware first.

Anyway here's the first party controllers in every color, including a couple of the rare millennium editions imported from Japan. They have a clear back and matching colored clear controller ports. Also have a couple of rare import VMUs, I have no idea what the clear green one is called but I have a Gamerra LE that is just white but came with some stupid mini bust. I believe they have mini games preloaded on them. The crystal clear one on the bottom left is also imported. I have no idea where the hell my yellow VMU is, I know I had one, and more black VMUs... but I have no idea where they are. I think all my best game saves for the fighting games are on those too.

Attachments

• 20180604_230216.jpg
    20180604_230216.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 28
These here are the true grails. A complere set of Ascii arcade sticks. The FT sticks are laser based, Japan only. Capcom vs SNK versions come with collector cards.

MarkMan here also has a complete set, if you guys know him. He's the GOAT of Arcade Sticks. He used to want my set but I wouldn't trade/sell. Each of the import sticks/pads are worth $200-300.

Attachments

• 20180604_231328.jpg
    20180604_231328.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 24
I also used to own the Broadband adapter, which is worth $200 back in the day. It only worked with a few games so I got rid of it but it's crazy to think an ethernet adapter would be worth so much but tgere aren't many out there. Ok, now to the games. This os my small but proud import collection. Back then I was a huge Capcom fighter fan, and to a lesser extent, SNK. Back then the only way you could play CPS3 games like SF3 was on the Dreancast. The Japanese version used to go for half the price of the domestic version so I doubled up and still have a factory sealed copy of the rerelease. The grail here however is the game on the upper right. It's basically a compilation of all the Darkstalkers games for Matching Service, ie Online. Only a few hundred copies made.

Also seeing HotD2 mades me wonder where the hell my light guns are... which also had to be imported as Sega decided not to release them domestically due to Columbine.

Attachments

• 20180605_074241.jpg
    20180605_074241.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 19
I just realized I have 3 copies of 3rd Strike (JP), and two copies of Zero 3 (1 is disc only). I do have 2 copies of Alpha 3, one of which is sealed. 2 copies of Quake 3 Arena, 1 is sealed. 2 copies of Alien Front Online, the boxed set with mic is sealed
3 copies of Soul Reaver. Quite a few more duplicate games because I'm crazy.

Anyway here's the US collection. Missing several non-complete (but real, not copied) games I have in a binder. I have well over 100 US games, I used to have an inventory but not so sure what site still actually hosts it, it used to be on IGN but I can't update it anymore.

Attachments

• 20180605_082944.jpg
    20180605_082944.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 9
I also used to own the Broadband adapter, which is worth $200 back in the day. It only worked with a few games so I got rid of it but it's crazy to think an ethernet adapter would be worth so much but tgere aren't many out there. Ok, now to the games. This os my small but proud import collection. Back then I was a huge Capcom fighter fan, and to a lesser extent, SNK. Back then the only way you could play CPS3 games like SF3 was on the Dreancast. The Japanese version used to go for half the price of the domestic version so I doubled up and still have a factory sealed copy of the rerelease. The grail here however is the game on the upper right. It's basically a compilation of all the Darkstalkers games for Matching Service, ie Online. Only a few hundred copies made.

Also seeing HotD2 mades me wonder where the hell my light guns are... which also had to be imported as Sega decided not to release them domestically due to Columbine.
House or Dead 2, oh the hours spent on that game with my cousins. You got the original dream cast pistols ? Also crazy taxi was the ****.

I just saw Power Stone 2 in person. Was tempted, but didn’t have a manual or case so I had to pass. Would’ve been 64 plus tax, which is decent, but it’s going for 90 plus with everything online.

Might be in the minority but I always found the dreamcast overrated.

Did you own one around the time it launched or when SEGA discontinued it and retailers blew 'em out for $50? Regardless the joint can play CD-Rs without any modding so not quite sure how it's overrated...

Did you own one around the time it launched or when SEGA discontinued it and retailers blew 'em out for $50? Regardless the joint can play CD-Rs without any modding so not quite sure how it's overrated...

Got it 3 months after it dropped.

Had a few games I enjoyed but then I just didn't care for it anymore after a while.

Anyone encounter this problem with mk trilogy that it freezes when playing on the ps2?

I googled and found a gamespot thread about it saying it only plays well on the PlayStation 1...I get disc errors occasionally and the game freezes after winning a tournament. Same issues I found in that thread. If so why?

I'll let yall finish, but these were the best basketball & football games out back in the day.
51N199EG99L._SX342_.jpg

NBA-Iside-Drive.jpg
Note: Inside Drive's team was the base of the NBA 2K series. Many of those dudes eventually came over to the 2K side of things.

2K's on Dreamcasts were amazing man. People were still on Live back then though

This is a good question. I hate missing things, but I feel like a sucka when I "cheat."

So I say, do it without the guide

As a kid it was cool, I learned about materia at the playground lol got home and tried double cut / all and was amazed...now idk it’s been a while since I tried to tackle an rpg I’d probably YouTube things

I "borrowed" (Never gave it back) a FF7 Strategy Guide from this dude with Polio, back in High School.

AND I never even finished FF7

Got it 3 months after it dropped.

Had a few games I enjoyed but then I just didn't care for it anymore after a while.

Makes sense if you paid over $50 for it. :frown: I will agree with you that the game library is quite small so there may not be as many appealing games on it. I personally only have about 2-3 go to games on it.

Last edited:
Anyone encounter this problem with mk trilogy that it freezes when playing on the ps2?

I googled and found a gamespot thread about it saying it only plays well on the PlayStation 1...I get disc errors occasionally and the game freezes after winning a tournament. Same issues I found in that thread. If so why?

Common problem with that release. I had the same thing happen to me on my og ps1. No problems with the psOne or ps2 fat.

Back
Top Bottom